Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@thefatcontroller,
Quote:

Trivia question, anyone know if a member of the public can enter the club med off the slopes and get to the foyer?

At ClubMeds you can often enter the Ski/boot room and hence would be able to get to reception/the Bus Stop. However, they can check that you have a CubMed Bracelet and they will be VERY unhappy if you try and walk through the building in Ski boots!

Often they have "events" outside the boot room at lunchtime. Maybe worth having a chat with a ClubMed GO (employee)?

Skitrack
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glorious day today. Snowing lightly in the morning so we decided to get our boards out and glad we did. Did a few laps of pre saint chair for a warm up, then up comborciere (it was ice station zebra at the top), down to 1600, up and over to 1800 for a few hours. Snowed all day, ranged from light to blizzard at various intervals. Classic Les Arcs weather day, experienced everything from fresh on the slopes and sunshine to near death cold on the same runs. The pistes are in amazing condition, off piste not hugely affected by today's snow. Much prefer to board than ski, though it is very tiring, you can't switch off for a second or you end up with a face plant. Stopped snowing now but forecast to snow all day tomorrow and heavier than today. Lets see.

Stopped in Arc 1800 for a quick pizza at Alpine Saveur, highly recommend, been there before.

Not much else to add, glorious day, hope work was fine for y'all back home
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sounds great @thefatcontroller, thanks for the update, hope tomorrow brings the goods for you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are the runs down to villaroger still open?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For all those people coming out later this week or already here!

There is fresh snow in Les Arcs today and it is still snowing lightly tonight.

There is snow on the roads and you are likely to need chains getting into the stations on the mountains tonight through into the morning until the roads are clear.

Enjoy the fresh powder tomorrow if you are already here!!

Yes, runs are open. But some lifts will be delayed opening tomorrow due to safety.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Snowing heavy and blowing a gale in Arc 2000, 8am
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Are the runs down to villaroger still open?

They were last week, some were shut.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Does anyone know if Le Lodge in 1800 is open or has closed down? It looked closed from the lift yesterday but haven’t had the chance to ski past?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, Thanks. Hopefully the fresh snowfall will reopen runs. Webcams are looking good again!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
macduff wrote:
Does anyone know if Le Lodge in 1800 is open or has closed down? It looked closed from the lift yesterday but haven’t had the chance to ski past?
I noticed from the web cams earlier in the season that the covered magic carpet which ran from outside it seemed to have disappeared, and the camera which faces it seems to have gone from the website too. That will be a real blow to the Mille 8 area if it has closed down. And a shame, I quite liked it in there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
wills_h wrote:
macduff wrote:
I noticed from the web cams earlier in the season that the covered magic carpet which ran from outside it seemed to have disappeared, and the camera which faces it seems to have gone from the website too. That will be a real blow to the Mille 8 area if it has closed down. And a shame, I quite liked it in there.

Ah. I assumed it had closed due to it being an off peak week?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It's possible I suppose, but I've been in there quite often on off peak weeks in previous years
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller wrote:
wills_h wrote:
macduff wrote:

Ah. I assumed it had closed due to it being an off peak week?

It was closed all of last week too.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As a serial webcam watcher, I an confirm that it hasn't opened yet this season. However one evening it appeared to be ablaze with lights but no other evidence of occupation. A great shame if it is going to stay closed as it was a good place to sit and rest weary old legs and enjoy a vin chaud or similar on a sunny afternoon.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
As a serial webcam watcher, I an confirm that it hasn't opened yet this season. However one evening it appeared to be ablaze with lights but no other evidence of occupation. A great shame if it is going to stay closed as it was a good place to sit and rest weary old legs and enjoy a vin chaud or similar on a sunny afternoon.
snow report
A friend who is currently in resort spoke to a pisteur about it. Apparently it has been sold, they are expecting that the snack bar will open later in the season but it's unlikely the main bit will
snow report
Currently in Arc 2000, it's snowed consistently all day now. Had some great fun in the trees above 1600 on pretty much deserted pistes.
ski holidays
wills_h wrote:
A friend who is currently in resort spoke to a pisteur about it. Apparently it has been sold, they are expecting that the snack bar will open later in the season but it's unlikely the main bit will
The main bit was nice, but way too expensive.
ski holidays
I didn't really notice that it was particularly any more expensive than the other nicer restaurants actually on the ski slopes, I did notice that the service there could be pretty slow on nice days, especially if you were sitting outside. Given that the lodge was the flagship of the Mille 8 area which has only been open a couple of year it doesn't really reflect well that this has already been sold and is now probably going to be closed for the season which marks the 50th anniversary of the resort!
latest report
wills_h wrote:
I didn't really notice that it was particularly any more expensive than the other nicer restaurants actually on the ski slopes, I did notice that the service there could be pretty slow on nice days, especially if you were sitting outside. Given that the lodge was the flagship of the Mille 8 area which has only been open a couple of year it doesn't really reflect well that this has already been sold and is now probably going to be closed for the season which marks the 50th anniversary of the resort!
I thought there were plenty of other places which were nice enough for a good lunch, and a bit cheaper than the Lodge. Perhaps that's why it didn't work out for whoever owned it for the first couple of seasons? You're absolutely right that it doesn't reflect well to have a new restaurant in a prime location shut for some or all of the season. Not a good look at all.
ski holidays
Wednesday 9 Jan. It has been reported to me that the snow stopped falling by around midday, although there were still a few lights snow flakes at times during the afternoon. Brighter spells came and went quickly. It stayed overcast most of the day. The fresh snow was about 5cm in places. At times it was windy and now as the night arrives the sky is very overcast again with the possibility of more snow during the night.

As expected in these conditions some lifts were late opening, but the links between Arc 2000 side and the rest of the ski area did open. The best skiing was in the trees of Peisey Vallandry, Arc 1600 and Villaroger.

With the possibility of more overcast weather tomorrow the best skiing is likely to be in the trees again.

The roads are OK going up the mountain although around the stations it is slippy and you may need chains to get to your accommodation. We did not get the huge dump that the Eastern Alps has been getting, but even a little top up is good news.

Another update tomorrow.

Regarding the Lodge. It is in the process of being sold and is likely to be taken by La Folie Douce from next season. It was run very badly in the past and basically went bust from what people are saying. A real white elephant! The food was OK, but they were not willing to make it the real party base it could have been. I presume La Folie Douce will do a better job. For the rest of this season the main area is not expected to open, but the snack bar might, but nothing is yet confirmed so this might change. If I hear any more I will post an update.
snow conditions
Wow, if that's true about the Folie Douce people buying the space that will be a game changer for the resort and probably not in a good way.
snow report
Still snowing in Arc 2000. Been snowing heavy all day with the heavy snowline about bottom of Arpette lift, lighter below. Started late but boarding again. Visibility was awful in the bowl so headed down to 1800 via Transarc and Renard (our new favourite run). The flat bit from Transarc to the split towards 1800 or Peisey was bad as I've experienced, flat light, freezing and driving snow. Anway did down to 1800 then back up Transarc to head to Peisey. The snow below the bottom of Derby wasn't as good but at least you could see. Back over to 1800 and a lap of the Carelly lift, another favourite run. We were tired by then and were falling so we know it is time to take the boards in. All in all class day, some horrendous visibility but lots of fresh snow.

The crowds arrived today in force. At Transarc in 1800 we had to wait for the 5 people in front of us to get in a gondola before we could get on one and then at mid station there was no one. Truly awful state of affairs. Toofy Grin Laughing
latest report
@thefatcontroller, think people were keeping backsides warm on Pre St Esprit: certainly steady stream of people round the runs accessible from it. And by no means long queues but definitely couldn't walk straight on....tho did at Marmottes...
Would welcome any info on reds off Carreley...have been sticking to blues and been down to 1600 1800 and Vallendry on my own and with friends. May push the excitement up a level tomorrow depending on light mainly, so would welcome any suggestions on where to try. I have a head thing about French reds: I do reds in Austria and Finland but would like to increase options.
snow conditions
@Late Starter II, There are reds and there are REDs in Les Arcs, The ones that are perhaps on the harder side (and would probably be blacks in Italy and Austria) are: the top of Claire Blanc, Malgovert, Secret, Tuffs and depending on conditions part of Grand Col and the gulley of Lac. Combe can be challenging at times as well. The others are all pretty straightforward. If you just want to say you have spend the whole day skiing reds then head for Vallandry where there are a whole series of the easier ones in a row.

@thefatcontroller, I'm sorry to hear that the resort has become crowded and there are now lift queues. Sad
snow report
johnE wrote:
... the top of Claire Blanc ...
Constant source of wonder that they grade that Red. When it bumps up it is quite a challenge; I prefer to head skier's left to the side of the piste where it's a bit steeper but generally a more enjoyable pitch.
latest report
Thanks @johnE, appreciated
snow report
@Late Starter II, we like all the reds accessible from Carreley / Vagere on the 1800 side: Froide Fontaine and the eponymous Carreley (which both bring you out at Arpette lift); Vagere, which goes to Carreley or Vagere lifts, and Coq - or as it is known to us , The Chicken Run (because of name, not because of difficulty) - which also heads down to Carreley, via Transversee . The oft forgotten Golf is also never, never used by anyone (says he, now expecting an onslaught) and can be excellent.

They can be extremely quiet, and as such, are delightful to lap multiple times for practice drills, when the weather is good, and the lifts queues, by being split between all of them, tend not to be so bad. But there's little in the way of foliage, and as I say few other people, so when it's flat light, they're not so nice... in those circumstances head for Vallendry

Clair Blanc. If ever there was a run that is under-graded... I personally think it's sister decent, the Fond Blanc black is easier it is certainly less likely to incur lift travelling spectator-judgement!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arctic Roll wrote:
The oft forgotten Golf is also never, never used by anyone
Ssshhh, love that run, not least because it's always so quiet.

Arctic Roll wrote:
Clair Blanc. If ever there was a run that is under-graded... I personally think it's sister decent, the Fond Blanc black is easier it is certainly less likely to incur lift travelling spectator-judgement!
Tend to agree, and Fond Blanc is longer as well so a much better option a lot of the time.
latest report
Quote:

The oft forgotten Golf is also never, never used by anyone (says he, now expecting an onslaught) and can be excellent.

I do golf and vagere quite frequently. They are both very nice and remarkably empty pistes. For some reason the crowds all seem to go to the 2000 bowl
snow report
Arc 2000, 8am not snowing but lots of blasting going on.
latest report
Cams are looking great right now, sun, freshened pistes and a nearly empty resort, man I wish I was there.
ski holidays
Any view on how much snow has come down in the last couple of days? Cheers Happy
ski holidays
Bottom of Morey closed so had to come along Foret then down Myrtilles ...and gardening was an option at the very bottom. Top of Morey and Myrtilles fabulous. Golf...gave it a try...loved the top but the middle was possibly one of the steepest sections I've skied....but mountain moments avoided.... Ice in places on it around 2pm and bottom section below Traversee closed. Decided to take easy option back but col de La Chal blue from Transarc was a lot of poling/walking until after Grand Col lift then awesome all the way back to 2000
snow conditions
@Dashed, I think maybe 15cm tho that's a rough guess. But it was windy so some areas have plenty and others need more.
ski holidays
@Late Starter II, Artendelles red was well liked by the intermediates I was with last week, get to it off the Varet lift. They also liked Belette off the Derby lift
snow report
Thanks @kitenski, can't spot Artendelles, is it Arandelieres 1?
ski holidays
@Late Starter II, ah, yes Arandelieres 1 and look out for the snow art (unless the new snow has covered it up)
snow conditions
Went out on boards today, did laps down to 1600, 1800 and around the bowl. Conditions are great but one issue today. It was COLD, very COLD. I don't suffer cold normally but today even I was frozen.
latest report
Yeah pistes are great but as abou d very cold. We stayed in les plagne side today and found a spot with sunshine at lovely fresh powder, it meant I could practice my powder skiing down the side of a few pistes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy