Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
A glorious day! Didn't feel ice on the 3 runs from St Jacques lift (starting gently-get the feel of hire skis) and Plan Vert was great, plan des eaux just more busy-but had plan vert almost to myself late morning. Then joined group who did various routes from top of bois de lours to bottom of transarc. A few people found some tricky spots on grands melezes. But a good day and many more to explore tmrw. Thanks again for all the suggestions...plenty for tomorrow!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very late start today, things to sort 1st. Went out about 12, straight down to try the new Comborciere lift. Very impressive but have to say the new red underneath looks grim. Hadn't realised as we hated the lift how short a hop it is from the top of it to Mont Blanc. Will definitely be using a lot. Basically just skied around 1800, 1600 and into 2000 till about 3pm and gave up then, shopping to do.

Few notes. Runs are way better than we expected, not that icy. Easier skiing conditions but boarding not totally suicidal. Due to show Tuesday or Wednesday, will board then. Its very, very cold and last but not least. I lost my iphone on the last run of the day. Not sure how it happened, told the tourist office. Lets see if there are honest people in resort. Done the find your phone, rang it etc. Its turned off.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@thefatcontroller, yes - I thought the Secret run was worth avoiding until there's fresh snow when I went up Comborciere yesterday. Looked truly horrible.

Let's hope your phone doesn't get eaten by a piste basher overnight Shocked .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair, Its frustrating as I got off Marmottes, took some photos, put it in my top pocket, then 100 yards down I bent over to help a guy who had fallen. 15 mins later it wasn't in the top pocket. So either at the top of Marmottes as I didn't put in my pocket properly or on the slope where i bent over to help the guy. I walked back up to both spots. Not there. Gone to tourist office and they run a blog of things handed in all over resort. Its got a 6 digit passcode and is only an iphone SE but more frustrating....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you tried this https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT201472
It may give you an idea of which you dropped it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@pieman666, Thanks yes but work have trackers on it too. I did ring it and it rang but then went to voicemail. Now it goes straight to vm like someone has turned the phone off. It gets wiped by work anyway and if they connect to the Internet men in balaclavas will visit them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
iPhones aside, anyone think it was incredibly quiet out on piste today?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@thefatcontroller, yes, both sides of the area. It won't last!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Alastair, isnt this one of the quietest weeks of the year?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, It is and we have skied this week for the last 10 years but there is quiet and then there was yesterday......
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@thefatcontroller, have you read "The Joy of Zips" ? Laughing
Hopefully your work's MDM will solve any data leakage issues prior to any 'bad guys' getting hold of the phone: the actual physical thing is a PITA, but much less of a life-changing concern these days.
(I'm probably one of the naïve masses: I wouldn't have a scooby about how to get a handset into the black-market. It would be easier for me to just to hand it in to a liftie or pass-office than find a shady man offering me euros for the thing).

Interesting comments from all about the quietness: sounds as if the 'spur of the moment' day trippers are staying away because of the supposed conditions, and the rest of us are back slaving over a hot keyboard.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Arctic Roll, My fault totally, too close to the apartment and not focusing. It was locked away tightly behind a zip pocket but took a photo top of Marmottes, put it back in pocket but obviously didn't zip up rolling eyes rolling eyes The phone is worthless in reality. I did ring it, it was on, they didn't answer and now turned off. Once it gets an form of internet connectivity it gets zapped by work. As you say its just a PITA.

Back to reality. No new snow overnight, it looks very cold out there. Might leave it a while before we head out. Conditions are far better than we were expecting. It was Russian new year last night so not sure if the Russians stayed off the slopes yesterday? Never seen it so quiet, lets see if they were hiding.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
2 years ago prior to Christmas, when the snow in LA was real bad, we went over to La Thuile. There, 'sharing a lift' meant there someone else being on a chair, somewhere along the whole length of the uplift. We were often left wondering if we were allowed places, not because they were closed, but there simply was no-one else around.

No good for the operators, but that's how I like it!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

try the new Comborciere lift. Very impressive but have to say the new red underneath looks grim. Hadn't realised as we hated the lift how short a hop it is from the top of it to Mont Blanc.

Often used the old lift as from the top made a nice long run back over to Vallandry, as you say is also easy to get to top of Mont Blanc which is a fave of ours and often very quiet! Looking forward to trying new lift in Feb - although will miss the smack on legs and chance to have long rest on old one wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Boris, They have also changed the lifties at the bootom. The new ones are much more - 'sober'.

Is anyone here old enougth to have used the old Combourciere drag lift?
latest report
@johnE, Does that mean no more reggae and dodgy 'herbal' smells emanating from their hut?
snow conditions
wills_h wrote:
@johnE, Does that mean no more reggae and dodgy 'herbal' smells emanating from their hut?
That seems to be the case Laughing
snow conditions
They've probably gone all high tech and got one of those e-cigarette things
ski holidays
When was it upgraded from a drag to the previous chair, does anyone know?
latest report
wills_h wrote:
When was it upgraded from a drag to the previous chair, does anyone know?
1985 I think.
ski holidays
The year before my first visit.
latest report
Has anyone else found this on the appalling Les Arcs web site?

https://www.lesarcs-reservation.com/en/the-great-british-celebration-ski-package-promo-1060.html?utm_source=SITE-LESARCS&utm_medium=BANNIERE-HOME&utm_content=H1819-GBC-GB
snow conditions
Just after Brexit, do you think they hadn't thought the dates through properly?
ski holidays
Like most of us they are probably simply hoping somehow at the last moment the government would see sense and stop it.
snow report
@wills_h, talking to the team at 1950, I think it's a show of sympathy wink (and also looking to pick up whatever pieces are left of the UK skiing market)
snow conditions
I wish that would be the case but these are politicians we are talking about!
snow conditions
Maybe connected to figures produced from last season by La Plagne tourist office which showed a 0.5 % overall drop in visitors, a 2% drop in French visitors BUT a 2% increase in UK visitors...
Perhaps, and I'm guessing, LA hasn't managed an increase in UK visitors.
I hasten to add that CdA showed an increase overall of 0.5% in visitors! Statistics and damn lies eh!
snow conditions
Didn't Les Arcs run a British promotion last season? Vaguely remember seeing something about it in mailings from the Tourist Office.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not much to report. Went out skiing, conditions are great with some snow forecast over next few days. Not as cold today. Hoping to board tomorrow, high up the snow looks fine to board, down low a tad icy.

On boring matters. Had an amazing fall today! Bottom of Derby waiting to head off down La Foret to Peisey. In setting off I managed to trip up over my own skis and ended up on my ass. Mrsfatcontroller was a great support as she stood sniggering, muttering knob. All very embarrassing Laughing Laughing

Needed to go to Bourg so took the bus down from 2000 for the 1st time this year. The new Club Med above 1600 has it owns stop now with the bus driving in there. If you think it looks big form the slopes take the bus, it is split level and just huge. Trivia question, anyone know if a member of the public can enter the club med off the slopes and get to the foyer? Might save a ski to 1600 for the bus? I am assuming entry is via key card as residents but just wondering.

Still incredibly quiet, genuinely incredibly quiet. Getting on Arcabuelle at 11am on your own and no one on the few chairs behind.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Didn't Les Arcs run a British promotion last season? Vaguely remember seeing something about it in mailings from the Tourist Office.

Yes, they did - I think it may have started in 2017. Can't say I noticed much special going on, but it does seem to be an acknowledgement that the UK market is important to them.
ski holidays
As @thefatcontroller reports, some good skiing to be had today on very quiet slopes again. Skis are picking up a few marks but nothing serious.
snow report
Some new snow is forecast Over the next few days. How are the slopes holding up?
ski holidays
Quote:

In setting off I managed to trip up over my own skis and ended up on my ass.

I suppose a donkey is useful for going uphill when the lifts are shut or when you are injured.
snow report
I've just got around to looking at my photos from the Christmas and thought this snap shot from my mobile phone looked quite nice. Where is it?

snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Some new snow is forecast Over the next few days. How are the slopes holding up?

Surprisingly well. We skied over the les arc side today, generally most things are good. There’s a few runs that are closed and some of the lower runs that are in the shade/don’t have cannons that are a bit hard and icy but I’ve seen much worse in other years!

Best run today was the grand col black with the soft moguls up at the top
ski holidays
Snowing very lightly in Arc 2000. Looks much colder out there. Forecast higher winds, light snow today, heavier tomorrow and very cold for next 2-3 days.
snow conditions
@johnE, must admit I am struggling with recognising that. Is it Grand Col?
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, doesn't feel colder than yesterday...have just had a lesson, though stayed around mid slopes: though not sure what Arcabulle will be like as it's more windy.....had a ride on the heated seats though and will be redoing.
Ref bus to club med: not sure how often they stop there: in the slightly chaotic arrival on Sat, the bus I came up on from 1600 the driver specifically said Club Med. New arrivals will need to get into reception but the one in 2000 skiers go in and out of boot room, but sounds like a possble plan tho if service is frequent enough....timetables will no doubt give that info.
snow conditions
Quote:
Trivia question, anyone know if a member of the public can enter the club med off the slopes and get to the foyer? Might save a ski to 1600 for the bus? I am assuming entry is via key card as residents but just wondering.

Don't know the answer, but suspect it would be as quick to ski from there to the 1600 bus stop as to faff about getting boots etc. off to walk through reception, even if it is possible.

I do know someone based in 1950 who snow-shoed in the woods above the building this year, having started from the CM bus stop without being challenged - albeit last year there was a security guard who wasn't happy about them being in Club Med grounds. That may have been because it was a building site rather than an open hotel though!
ski holidays
@Layne, well done. It is that couloir to the south of the red piste. It was deserted that day and the snow was wonderful.

Quote:

Trivia question, anyone know if a member of the public can enter the club med off the slopes and get to the foyer? Might save a ski to 1600 for the bus? I am assuming entry is via key card as residents but just wondering.

So you plan to ski down Mont Blanc and cut through the Club Med (that eyesore is the biggest in Europe apparently) and get the bus from there rather than walk from the top of the La Grange piste to the bus stop. You could also cut across to the UCPA and get the bus from there. I cannot recall the exat location at the moment but there is a track that leaves the Mont Blanc before Source reaches it that leads to to basher station and then down to where the hotel Bedouin (spelling error) used to be. I belevie that goes between the Club Med and the road. You could try that. I will investigate when I am next in Les Arcs and report back
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy