Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@timlongs, at the lifts that have, there's a lane fenced off with its own gate that will only own with a Paradiski pass. Like the ecoles du ski lanes are fenced off. I've not seen anyone using them and have seen people blunder into them at lifts with no queues (yes, such things do exist) and have to back up or climb over or under the fence.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a La Plagne season pass with Eden points Paradiski extensions - Indeed how are they going to police it, my physical card is printed up with Paradiski ski on it!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@boredsurfin, it's all done via the rfid chip in the card. Tbh it works pretty well. If you have the right card the gate opens automatically for you. It doesn't otherwise. The main problems are with the entry being blocked by the spread of the other queue and of course by people who cannot read the sign above the gate.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@boredsurfin, it's all done via the rfid chip in the card. Tbh it works pretty well. If you have the right card the gate opens automatically for you. It doesn't otherwise. The main problems are with the entry being blocked by the spread of the other queue and of course by people who cannot read the sign above the gate.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've bought season passes for the past few years - for Les arcs/Peisey Vallandry area. This year we 'renewed' them online, but opted for the whole Paradiski area. The paperwork shows we paid for Paradiski, but haven't a clue what the electronic wizadry thinks. Any ideas whether this is likely to be accepted by the gates? (I can see fun if we have to show the 'old' physical passes which only state the LA/PV areas!)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It is all done by the rfid chip, no need to show the pass to anyone. Of course it would also stop you going to la plagne as well. If you are really worried print out and take the receipt with you. Of course you do that any way in case you lost your pass.

apart from my name I'm not sure what else is on the pass. Though i keep glancing at the screens in the booths to see my photo come up but haven't yet.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do you think they will fire up the cannons the coming days when the temp drops?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Genista they've been running at night for the last few days (observed from the webcams)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Genista I was going to ask the same question. My wife and I arrive on Saturday (5th) and it doesn’t look like there’s going to be any fresh snow between now and then. We are blue and red piste cruisers so don’t need masses but the wife does hate it if it gets too bare or icy.

I’ve been hoping combination of the existing base plus cold temps allowing snow cannons plus fewer people next week meaning it’ll get less chopped up than now means we will be ok. Is that a realistic expectation?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ally85, Yes, they rely on cannons. If they can get them on they will.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@alley85 I am arriving that day too. (Arc 1950) The kids have only skied for a few days And only in soft snow where it has dumped the day before.
I’m hoping the easy pistes are not too rock hard.
The forecasts have vacillated between some snow falling next week and the drough continuing. Hopefully we get just a small top up before the 12th.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@timlongs, tis all eletronicery majik. Paradiski pass = through you go, otherwise a beep and a redirect.

@kitenski, as per JohnE - Slow lifts mean less people, so Clocheret is a good one to avoid crowded pistes. Blacks were opened this weekend off the Varet lift ( Lanchettes, Dou de l'homme, Cretes ) - queues big (albeit with Paradiski queue jump option) but some of the best Natur around, and will not be full of ski-school snakes and beginners.

Coq piste seems to have been forgotten by general users ( albeit it does empty out into the melee above the Vagere- use Alpage beside EdenArc to access Carreley or Vagere lifts - the latter will be more busy in queuing, but it's top end has less busy pistes than Carreley). Also Carreley and Foide Fontaine runs are quite quiet (by comparison) - but to get to them means either enduring the top of the Arpette ridge, another major traffic area, or the Vagere queues.

We've enjoyed relatively quiet Myrtilles from top of Grizzly to Derby (although was closed below Derby Lift - so Aigle was starting to get busy, and hard, and artifical, as a resulting alternative)

Mont Blanc I love, and is relatively quiet albeit I suspect that as the major home run to Club Med, it will change late in the afternoon.

Most of the 2000 bowl was / is very busy, again, the exhortation to 'go high' porbably making the difference. Use Teppes to get off the top of the Col de la Chal as the best Red 'quiet run' option, but it still brings you back to Vallee de l'Arc 2 or Plan des Eaux to get back to the lifts, along with all the other options from up there, and they are simply M25 like.

The other option from Arcabulle and the Col is Verte. Which is a gentle blue (go figure), but generally not used to much, so preferable if on the way home.

But overall, the choice is 1800 for less people, but snow not quite as nice, or 2000 for good quality stuff, shared by millions.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kapt wrote:
We've bought season passes for the past few years - for Les arcs/Peisey Vallandry area. This year we 'renewed' them online, but opted for the whole Paradiski area. The paperwork shows we paid for Paradiski, but haven't a clue what the electronic wizadry thinks. Any ideas whether this is likely to be accepted by the gates? (I can see fun if we have to show the 'old' physical passes which only state the LA/PV areas!)

Yes, it is elecotrnics not the physical pass that will determine your entry (I've got one originating from summer mountain biking - seems to work as it should... Happy )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, Thanks - also useful info on which pistes to avoid. A little worrying about your mention of (one/some) pistes closed below Derby. We had been wondering how things were, that low down. We are setting up for a 3 week visit to Vallandry at end of Jan and currently in CH where it is OK - but also really needing a top-up. Vallandry is much lower. Whilst we obviously go higher we will still have to navigate around home-base and have no wish to spend hours repairing damage as we have some years. Hey-ho -hopefully time for things to improve (& also quieten!!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@kapt, most if the runs down to vallandry are open. In fact the snow cover is almost complete and in 10 days skiing here have not got a single rock.
We found ecureulls from the top of grizzly to peisey as the best run of the day. It is the blue pistes which are the most frightening with huge crowds. The blacks feel the safest.
My review of lift queues is:
No queue at all:
Combettes, cachette, clocherete, grizzly, charmettoger
Some queue: peisey
Bad queue: derby
Piste to avoid : maitaz
latest report
Looking around the village tonight I don't think I've ever seen the it so busy. I hope I can squeeze into a bar tonight.
Happy New year to every one
snow conditions
Happy New Year all.

We’re coming to Plan Peisey in 3 weeks (19/1) for a week. Never having been to the Les Arcs area, can those in the know advise if the busyness/ queues mentioned above are simply due to the peak week time, or if they are normal for here? TIA

I’m not worrying about the snow at this stage - time for a top up before we arrive - so hope we’re not deluding ourselves Very Happy
snow report
Nice and quiet out there this morning, there must be a lot of sore heads. We took the opportunity to go the bowl above 2000, which was very crowded before. Much shorter queues but Arcabulle kept tripping and was stopped for quite a while. Nice conditions off of Grand Col, not too icy up that high. The snow cannons have been going overnight advice 1800, which has improved things a bit. Turning much colder now, like 10 degrees lower tomorrow, which will be interesting.
snow report
As an owner I get some discount codes for lift passes. I have on 15% code spare if anyone wants it, its not for sale, happy to hand over for free, message me here.

Simple conditions for using the code.

Passes must be bought online. You can buy online and pick up in resort
No other discounts apply. Check if family or other offer works better 1st
Up to 8 passes for the same duration ( so I would prefer if a group used as opposed to a couple)
You can buy Les Arcs or Paradski passes.

Gone.....

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 1-01-19 22:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
[quote="Montana"]Happy New Year all.

We’re coming to Plan Peisey in 3 weeks (19/1) for a week. Never having been to the Les Arcs area, can those in the know advise if the busyness/ queues mentioned above are simply due to the peak week time, or if they are normal for here? /quote]

It's busy now as this is the busiest week of the year. I've gone the week you're going many times and its relatively quiet
latest report
@Montana, new year week is the busiest of the season. There will probably be 1/4 that number when you come. It looks like lots of people are going home today. There are even some parking spaces clear.

It was a lot quieter today, but arcabule still has horrible queues. It was 1 minute onto varet then a fantastic ski down the line of the old flying k course.
snow conditions
@thefatcontroller, I`ve PM`d you about the discount codes snowHead
ski holidays
Noticeably quieter on some lifts today and much warmer than yesterday. Some of the higher lifts like Aguille Rouge had long queues so I didn't bother, but some other chairs only had 1-2 mins max today.
snow conditions
@kitenski, that's good to hear. How are the numbers on the pistes tho?
latest report
@Arctic Roll, generally ok, until they temporarily shut Reches about 330pm which funnelled everyone down the other side and was very busy pistes.

My mate left his rucksack at the restaurant at the top of Transarc 2, I just got back to be gondola at 4:28, found the rucksack they had a delightfully empty run from the top down to plan peisey.
snow conditions
Interested in the discount code please @thefatcontroller,
snow report
Just had dinner st l'abouche in arc 1600 who have taken over from the arcabuse (previously the white wolf) . The ham hock on lentils at 18 euro was an excellent meal. I can recommend it.
ski holidays
New Year's Day is over. The sun has been shinning since I got back and the party is over, well almost as there are still a few more days of this week left.

There are some photos of the last few days over on the Les Arcs Winter facebook page. Also some of the new Comborciere chair in action. We have had some quite big groups and today was an excellent turn out at the clubhouse for a New Year Drink.

Although the snow is very firm and smooth in places, you can get almost everywhere in the ski area and it has been a good start to the season although some more fresh snow would be nice now. The pistes have been very busy for the last few days, but you can still get around OK if you are careful.

Next update in a couple more days. Enjoy the photos!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It snowed a bit overnight, a few cm, so an early start today may get some good skiing. Sadly I'll miss it. We are heading home in a couple hours
latest report
@johnE, just a dusting in 1800, barely more than a boat frost. Hopefully more elsewhere. Cloudy though, that's a shock.
latest report
It seems that the possibility of snow mid next week has seemed to have well and truly disappeared now. That’s a bummer.
snow conditions
The increase in humidity has meant that the snow cannons are running. The road has cleared so I will not need chains to get down the mountain.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday folks.
ski holidays
Cloud and a little fresh snow up to about 2100m. Cannons running up to that elevation which is improving those pistes above 1800 and Plan Piesey. Even black Ecureuils is ok, a little fresh makes all the difference in the ice. It must have been horrid yesterday. The cloud has mostly cleared now.
ski holidays
Hi, following up from an earlier post regarding our late season trip... we booked an apartment in Arcs 1950 for the 13th to the 21st. I now have a follow up question for some further advice on lessons.

Having been with 'Esprit' before, we've used ESF instructors in 2000 for the kids as part of the package - and not had an issue.

This year, we are booking DIY. Our preference is to have 'English speaking instructor' and I guess it would be helpful if there were other english kids in the classes too. Not essential for our 10 and 13 yr olds who should be in the same lesson, but i think it would be better for our 6 year old.

Do folks think we should continue with ESF or are there recommendations for other schools in 1950 ?

In addition, in our group, there are a couple of kids who would like snowboarding lessons in the morning - it looks like Spirit 1950 could accommodate this. Does anyone have experience of them ?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
Genista wrote:
It seems that the possibility of snow mid next week has seemed to have well and truly disappeared now. That’s a bummer.

Its back but moved a day. My expectations for next week are our boards shall gather dust and we shall ski. Sad
ski holidays
Crowds were back today on the main pistes... Weird day with max 1cm new snow lower down and zero higher up.

Clouds moved around day, and it was - 10 at Peisey Vancroix first thing and - 13 above 1950 around 345!

Pistes were much improved where the canons were running, lots more grip compared to some slick pistes higher up
snow report
Thanks for replies all - looking forward to our first trip to Paradiski Very Happy
snow report
@Richie_S, it depends what type of punters are in town: Spirit (aka Evolution, aka Evo2) try to keep class size to max 8-10, so if enough anglophones of that standard exist, then you will have an exclusive English speaking class. Their instructors do all speak English - its a pre-requisite. My daughter used them from aged 3 - 12 before going to private lessons with them.

Snow boarding in the morning can be tough for beginners, but if you say Late season, should be Ok. Daughter and friends did try an ESF guy once - his attitude put them off for life (which in my mind is the perfect outcome...) but as usual it is down to individuals rather than schools I think.

To be fair, all the instructors in the village seem to know each other and get on (they often have their typical pre-class coffee in a large group): so it will be convenience, start times & finish times (which are stagggered to prevent total and utter chaos), price, and possibly continuation through the different "grading" and stars that the kids have already got that will be your determinants.
snow report
@Richie_S, We own in 2000 so have used ESF there quite a few times especially for the kids. It’s only a short hop from 1950 but can’t recommend Julien Cormons there enough. Converted 2 boys to snowboarding in a day. We used him in the afternoons for private lessons. His preference is to board not ski. Last year bumped into him on the slopes teaching his 3 year old to board!! Better than me too.
ski holidays
Very cold now and getting colder. The pistes are rock hard in most places and you need good edges. I am not skiing off piste right now, but have been told it is chalky firm snow in steeper high areas, but crud and ice blocks lower down where it rained before freezing. Where ever you are skiing or snowboarding, take care and stay under control. There have been many accidents this week. Stay safe out there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy