Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@Russeh, the term "full area" in les arcs refers to the full les arcs ski area as opposed to a lift pass for only the 1600/1800/vallandry area that you can also buy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
easy to get lost in the semantics on this i think Laughing

i guess what i'm asking is i'm staying in Les Coches and will be buying a full pass for both resorts, i believe this is what they call the"paradiski pass" does this mean i can use the priority queues?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Russeh, Yes, that's correct, the Paradiski Pass is the one that can use the queue jump lanes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Russeh wrote:
easy to get lost in the semantics on this i think Laughing

i guess what i'm asking is i'm staying in Les Coches and will be buying a full pass for both resorts, i believe this is what they call the"paradiski pass" does this mean i can use the priority queues?

But unless you are a very experienced skier and a mileage muncher, even staying in les Coches which has great access to the Vaonoise I'm not convinced its worth paying the extra for the Paradski pass. Each to their own, but remain use the Vanoise less and less.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@thefatcontroller, I'd tend to agree with you, but these priority lanes may be a tipping factor, especially if you are going to be in resort during peak weeks.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I suspect paradiski passes have not Been selling well in les arcs which is why they have introduced the priority lanes simply to boost sales.
This must be only the second time in 15 Yeats I've bought a paradiski pass. So I'm now sitting in a restaurant in la coches eating duck with onion sauce with dauphanise potatoes for the princely sum of 12 euros.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just wondering how to buy the discounted Saturday in les arcs ski passes for tomorrow as we do not have our existing passes with us and the deal does not seem to be on offer unless one has them.

Currently in la rosiere where the skiing has been excellent especially the san Bernardo area
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@wills_h, cool thanks for the confirmation.

@thefatcontroller to me theres not a lot in it cost wise and being positioned next to the Vanoise means we get the most out of it. Besides my friend who i'm skiing with only gets 1 week a year and likes to maximise his time on snow, e.g. no lunch stops Laughing

They use to offer a pass with 1 day access to the other side but looks like they've stopped doing that, i think it was called discovery or something.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A 6 day or more les arcs pass gives you one free day in la plagne
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnE wrote:
A 6 day or more les arcs pass gives you one free day in la plagne

and thats why we don't bother with Paradski anymore. Only so long I can tolerate the show lifts in La Plagne. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Coming from Les Arcs to La Plagne by the time you get to the top of the Arpette lift we are frozen.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Russeh wrote:

@thefatcontroller to me theres not a lot in it cost wise and being positioned next to the Vanoise means we get the most out of it. Besides my friend who i'm skiing with only gets 1 week a year and likes to maximise his time on snow, e.g. no lunch stops Laughing

Enjoy, Les Coches is a great locations. If you have one of those horrible mileage munchers with you then great value with the pass. We are very leisurely boarders. Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone know the answer to my query above?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Johne wrote

"...sitting in a restaurant in la coches eating duck with onion sauce with dauphanise potatoes for the princely sum of 12 euros..."

Beats the 10 euros for vegetable soup and a bread roll in La Plagne centre (which is what it cost me last January... Sad )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hello we are staying in Peisey Vallandry for half term (at L'Oree des Cimes). Does anyone have experience of any of the ski hire shops in the area. A few people have been underwhelmed by the Skiset shop attached to the accommodation and the Intersport in Plan Peisey seems to get good reports?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi! We will be in Les Arcs on January 12. Can you tell me how is the snow quality over there? The wheather forecast seems to show no snow fall for theese weeks. Any info will be apprecieted!

Thank you and happy new year!
latest report
thefatcontroller wrote:

Enjoy, Les Coches is a great locations. If you have one of those horrible mileage munchers with you then great value with the pass. We are very leisurely boarders. Laughing Laughing

Laughing I'm out again to Courchevel in a few weeks with my wife and niece, both beginners so i expect that will be more leisurely.
snow conditions
Jakebarton wrote:
Hello we are staying in Peisey Vallandry for half term (at L'Oree des Cimes). Does anyone have experience of any of the ski hire shops in the area. A few people have been underwhelmed by the Skiset shop attached to the accommodation and the Intersport in Plan Peisey seems to get good reports?
I have my own gear but my dad, Mum and bro hired from rental republic (online) while staying in plan peisey and they came to the chalet and did the fitting etc there and they picked up as well so was brilliant for them.
ski holidays
Thanks will take a look
snow conditions
Are they able to run the snow cannons at night or is it too warm??
snow report
My griend joined us for a few days skiing and could not afford a paradiski pass so couldn't use the priority lanes. His delay on th varet lift was 8 minutes and combourcier 6 minutes. We think on an average day it saves us half an hour
snow conditions

As its a quiet Saturday we decided to visit Les Arcs.. wow what a mistake! Are the queues always this bad now? The restaurants were all very very busy with standing room only in some - What must it be like in the week??
ski holidays
@boredsurfin, its a blue sky weekend day during the year end holidays... what do you expect? Courchevel and Meribel/Mottaret car parks were absolutely rammed late morning today when I went up. Pretty normal for this time of year if the skies are blue...
latest report
@offpisteskiing, Good to know that skiing hasn't lost its 'pull' but sad that Saturdays are so busy now...
ski holidays
Yes, it was quite busy here for a Saturday, I'd always thought of changeover day being a bit quieter, but what was said above about blue sky days makes sense. I also wonder if some folks are here all the way over Xmas and the New Year.

It was a gorgeous day nonetheless. We arrived on the overnight ski train, then the funi and bus to 1800.

The pistes could be charitably described as very firm, rock hard in places but with little water ice. Nothing was turning remotely slushy by the second off the day, despite the relatively mild temps and strong sunshine.

With no snowfall in sight I have to hope there is eight to last the week. No major warm up in sight though, so our wine be melting away.
latest report
Saturday is usually a busy day in les arcs. Lots of locals and from as far a way as lyon come for the day. They have been arriving since yesterday afternoon as well.

The queues have been a bit strange sometimes long sometimes non existent. The worst we saw was the grand col, whereas vagere was very quiet.

judging by the number of people in the village the rest of the week will be very busy. I'm off home on Wednesday.
snow conditions
Saturday is usually a busy day in les arcs. Lots of locals and from as far a way as lyon come for the day. They have been arriving since yesterday afternoon as well.

The queues have been a bit strange sometimes long sometimes non existent. The worst we saw was the grand col, whereas vagere was very quiet.

judging by the number of people in the village the rest of the week will be very busy. I'm off home on Wednesday.
snow conditions
Sorry not been posting this past week - too much bluebird days.
But
I'm afraid with with @boredsurfin, on the 'rammed nature' of the week. You had to know where to go to get away from some horrendous piste motorways. I've not seen anything like it for some time.

The investment in thousands of new beds plus fast lifts, but the lack of new pistes ( and constant exhortations to 'go high' due to hard snow conditions) have meant this week was a bloody nightmare. Soo many people without the skills to cope with the conditions meant you spent more time avoiding bodies or lunatics than enjoying the skiing. Well, at least until you got to the places the 'punters and day trippers' don't go.

Very gald I had my edges done - highly needed.

Also: as per previous posting, the anticiapted chaos of the Derby and its 2 turnstiles of priority for Paradiski passes came true. especially with the 'smart ' ones, who chose to use the priority queue, didn't have a Paradiski pass, and were shuffled sideways by the lifties, thus jumping 70 - 100 places... B'stards.

Almost considering buying a paradiski pass for end of Jan visit ... which I suppose is what they want. Have complained to ADS.
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, for a first time visitor just sat in Liverpool Airport, what areas would you goto in order to avoid the crowds? I'm hoping it may calm down after new years day..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, new year week is generally the busiest of the season. My conversations with a number of visitors tell me that a lot of people will be leaving news year's day onwards. My friend leaves on the first, I leave on the 2nd and my neighbour the 3rd. It appears a lot of people have to back at work.

As to where to find quiet pistes the reds down to 1800/1600 have been particularly quit as have the liftsback up. Arc 2000 area is busy. Here is what we did with a note on queues and crowds on the pistes.

lift 1 combettes. No one in front of us empty piste down to mont blanc.
Lift 2 mont blanc. No one in front, empty run down mont blanc
lift 3 cachette, no one in front
Lift 4 clocheret, no one in front empty return on clocheret piste
snow conditions
Just got back to Arc1800 this afternoon (after Christmas in the UK) and I'm taken aback by how busy the Arc1800 village is. 'Rammed' sums it up well.

@johnE, @Arctic Roll, thanks for the updates.
ski holidays
Lift 5 clocheret, straight on again, down mug er et and secret, a few people on secret.
Lift 6 pre St esprit, 5 minute queue, very busy on piste down to
lift 7 busychettes, no one in front of us, down blue/red piste to villaroger, pistes deserted.
lift 8 and 9 return to plan violets, no one on lifts in front or behind us, ski Rhonaz, piste empty.
lunch at pre St esprit
lift 10 pre St esprit, 5 minute queue, busy ski down to
lift 11 plagnettes 5 minute queue, very busy ski across to
lift 12 grand col, Lift very busy, 10 minutes queue, but worth it, traverse north to large open slope past refuge, delightful ski down to lac marlou then on very busy pistes down to pre sSt esprit
latest report
Big queue at comborciere but paradiski got us past quickly then down mont blanc again for a vin chaud at the smoking boar before going home. The piste was a bit busy and a couple skiers going very fast down it

sorry about the disjointed post i am writing on a tablet rather than a pc
snow conditions
Big queue at comborciere but paradiski got us past quickly then down mont blanc again for a vin chaud at the smoking boar before going home. The piste was a bit busy and a couple skiers going very fast down it

sorry about the disjointed post i am writing on a tablet rather than a pc
ski holidays
Lift 5 clocheret, straight on again, down mug er et and secret, a few people on secret.
Lift 6 pre St esprit, 5 minute queue, very busy on piste down to
lift 7 busychettes, no one in front of us, down blue/red piste to villaroger, pistes deserted.
lift 8 and 9 return to plan violets, no one on lifts in front or behind us, ski Rhonaz, piste empty.
lunch at pre St esprit
lift 10 pre St esprit, 5 minute queue, busy ski down to
lift 11 plagnettes 5 minute queue, very busy ski across to
lift 12 grand col, Lift very busy, 10 minutes queue, but worth it, traverse north to large open slope past refuge, delightful ski down to lac marlou then on very busy pistes down to pre sSt esprit
ski holidays
@kitenski, new year week is generally the busiest of the season. My conversations with a number of visitors tell me that a lot of people will be leaving news year's day onwards. My friend leaves on the first, I leave on the 2nd and my neighbour the 3rd. It appears a lot of people have to back at work.

As to where to find quiet pistes the reds down to 1800/1600 have been particularly quit as have the liftsback up. Arc 2000 area is busy. Here is what we did with a note on queues and crowds on the pistes.

lift 1 combettes. No one in front of us empty piste down to mont blanc.
Lift 2 mont blanc. No one in front, empty run down mont blanc
lift 3 cachette, no one in front
Lift 4 clocheret, no one in front empty return on clocheret piste
latest report
@johnE, haha, some muddled up posts there, but I concur generally. High is less icy but busy, some very long queues. Low down is quieter. Had a run down Mont Blanc that was nice and empty, but thank goodness for that, as it gave me room to manoeuvre and make mistakes on the ice. No queues at Comborciere for us both times we've been down there. Some of the reds above 1800 are in good condition, not too icy and relatively quiet.
latest report
How do these priority paradiski lanes work? Does a season pass allow you to use them?
latest report
@timlongs, no it must be a paradiski pass. A season pass for les arcs would not be accepted
snow report
Thinking about it the blacks and the reds away from arc 2000 are generally quiet. Keep clear of the blues, which are frightening and you will be ok.
ski holidays
I have a season paradiski pass which I bought in La Plagne, how are they even policing it?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy