Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 2018 - 2019 (Useful links are added to the first post)

Poster: A snowHead
@timlongs, thanks for the report, good to hear.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@rob@rar, I would upload pics, but can't. However, Les Arcs Pisteurs just uploaded this:

https://scontent-cdt1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/48368687_2379983422028968_5054102954546561024_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-cdt1-1.xx&oh=925993ff960cbe5938908f1feddb132c&oe=5CA99556
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@timlongs, For those that use FB then the 'Pisteurs Secouristes des Arcs' are worth following

https://www.facebook.com/PSdArcs/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lovely opening day in Les Arcs. Blue sky, smiling lefties, good snow on piste, light snow off piste but not much base so discretion required (be a shame to be sharked on Day 1).

More snow is on its way, and I’m sitting in the sun having a nice coffee stop. Life is good.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rob@rar,
Quote:

smiling lefties

The gilets jaunes of Les Arcs? wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle wrote:
@rob@rar,
Quote:

smiling lefties

The gilets jaunes of Les Arcs? wink

Jeremy Corbyn over there moonlighting?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@rob@rar, I'm jealous, very jealous. We are setting off on Friday. It looks as if it will be a slow drive with rain almost all the way and a crawl up the mountain at midnight.

I'm really looking forward to the "smiling lefties" I will smile back
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I'm jealous
Me too. It's sad when my only recreation is pointing out typos. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That must be spell check software with a political bias. Very Happy mine comes up with some seriously wonky replacements, end up shouting at the tablet Toofy Grin

I too am envious of someone being out there for such beautiful conditions, LA1800 is one of my favourite places to stay.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Haha, autocorrect with a sense of humour!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Starting to see lenticular cloud developing over Mt Blanc (her “hat”), often the first sign of weather coming in. Forecast seems to be snow overnight and through tomorrow. Hope the snow line doesn’t get too high initially.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As @rob@rar says, a great first day of the season.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
ski3 wrote:
That must be spell check software with a political bias. Very Happy mine comes up with some seriously wonky replacements, end up shouting at the tablet Toofy Grin

You need to be careful about that. I changed my car recently and swore at it when I couldn't get it to understand me. I now have the small Austrian town of F**king in my recent destinations list and don't know how to get rid of it. rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alastair wrote:
I now have the small Austrian town of F**king in my recent destinations list and don't know how to get rid of it. rolling eyes
Laughing

Snowing lightly now, and -5 degrees at 1800m.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What a fast change in the weather!

After the blue sky of yesterday, today we woke to fresh snow in the valley and light rain. By 10am the rain had stopped and although staying overcast with flat light. In the trees and even on the open mountain the skiing proved to be OK despite my earlier fears. If a little wet. The Off piste I was told became heavy very quickly. Maybe in due course I will be ready to try some off piste again.

The clouds were in and out all day so not many photos. Tomorrow is predicted to be more of the same. I shall post tomorrow morning what snow the night has brought.

A couple of photos from today in the fresh, but wet and heavy conditions over on the Les Arcs Winter page.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/
ski holidays
Still snowing this morning judging by the webcams
ski holidays

Little bit of light snow and a bit of a breeze. Viz is poor but fine in the trees.
ski holidays

Grand Col not running yet, but being prepped. Looks sweet up there.
ski holidays
@rob@rar, cruel. I’m in Colchester Sad
ski holidays

New picnic facility, at the bottom of the Marmottes chairlift just below Arc 1950.
snow report
@thefatcontroller, sorry about that, I’m sitting in the sun with a freshly toasted panini. Colchester’s nice though.
snow conditions
How high is Grand Col Rob? Looks pretty inviting!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
How high is Grand Col Rob? Looks pretty inviting!
2800 at the top of the chair I think. Some amazing options from there, including a descent off the back down to 1200m, although that needs a guide.
snow conditions
The snow condition is looking decent, can't wait for Friday to come!

Only concern at the moment is that they are forecasting 20-30cm of snow on Friday. That amount of snow fall shouldn't stop us from driving up to LA 1950 on 2WD snow tyres right? I bought these plastic zip chains, hope they won't be needed! Or they will do the job if needed (i.e. get pass police checks / up the mountain)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rupse-Emergency-Anti-slip-145mm-265mm-Universal/dp/B07GNJBDFZ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545141538&sr=8-4&keywords=snow+chains&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
Hybrid713 wrote:
Only concern at the moment is that they are forecasting 20-30cm of snow on Friday. That amount of snow fall shouldn't stop us from driving up to LA 1950 on 2WD snow tyres right?

Freezing level looks like being 1900 rising through the weekend to 3100 Sunday night. If that is anywhere near accurate then no chains will be required.

And indeed looks like skiing conditions will be heavy!

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Tue 18-12-18 15:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Hybrid713, the freezing level will be high enough Saturday with snow forecast to make the day interesting. You should be ok but be careful

https://www.bergfex.com/les-arcs-bourg-saint-maurice/wetter/prognose/#day1
snow report
The view from my balcony this afternoon.

snow conditions
@rob@rar, in Paddington station now, you are darkening my mood again Sad
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To echo Snowcrazy and Rob, it has been a variable weather week so far here in 1950: we didn't get here til late sutrduay so missed the bluebird opening, However Sunday and Monday we had snow, cloud, a little sunshine. About 40cms fresh on top of the pistes was just excellent, and kept it real. Today Tues was, as per Robs picture above, a trult glorous day: no crowds, no clouds, hard fast pistes - except for Arondlieres which was covered is just the most beautful fluffy moguls you could ever hope ti wish for at the start of a week. According to the Yuge tracker we did about 60km this morning (then forgot to turn it on after lunch...) but twas easily another 30, the snow is so good, the psites so empty.

Been told that Combouciere was due to open today - when they got it out of storage (it's 'repurposed from Val'D ) it was missing a few bits that they've been waiting on, hence not start of season opening. However although it was running in test at 9.30, it wasn't ready for the general public. When asked, they weren't sure if it was to be a few minutes, a few hours or a few days. The Gallic Shrug in all its glory. Anyone get a ride today?

Brand new navette shuttle buses between the villages: very nice.

As with the picnic area (above) they've rebuilt the starting station for the Marmottes lift - looks odd - but I'm sure we'll get used to it.

Not all lifts open, as you would expect, but not a big issue - so few people, so much snow, it's just great atm.

Will try and post a few piccys too, just to increase the jealousy levels...
snow report
@Arctic Roll, Oh so you’re joining in. Not happy.
snow report
@Arctic Roll, I had two trips up Comborciere today. The lift came to a grinding halt twice on the first trip up and the old lift would have been quicker. The second time up it came to a halt just as I was getting on but it was restarted after a bit of head-scratching. I'm sure they'll sort out these teething gremlins quickly. As I mentioned earlier this is the first lift I've ridden in two separate resorts.

Had a great day's skiing today, with the snow in good condition in most places and quiet pistes.

Now back to the UK for Christmas!
snow report
New picnic spot constructed at the top of the new Comborciere chairlift, has views to die for.

ski holidays
Heavy snow now falling, and just about zero degrees at 1800m. A decent amount is forecast over the next three or four days, adding to the already good piste conditions and building up the off-piste base. Happy days!
snow report
Counting down the days best go edge and wax the skis!
latest report
Nice conditions after the little bit of snow we had yesterday.

snow conditions
looks excellent @rob and very quiet.
snow conditions
@Russeh, yes, it's very quiet. No lift queues of any kind, restaurants on the hill not too busy. Couple that with excellent piste conditions and improving off-piste conditions and it's a really nice week.
snow report
Calm before the storm of Christmas/New Year i guess.

I'm hoping for similar conditions when i join w/c 6th Cool I'm actually stayin gin Les Coches, could just be how it looks on the webcams but i think Les Arc side has done slightly better on snow lower down.
snow report
Russeh wrote:
Calm before the storm of Christmas/New Year i guess.
I've skied this week for 10+ years and I've always been pleased to be in resort. This year the snow is decent, not as epic as last year, but significantly better than the previous two or three years. But even in the bad years there's plenty of piste skiing to be had. It normally stays quiet through Christmas Day, and then starts get busy on the 27th or so. We normally are back in the UK for New Year week...
snow report
A quick lesson in " how to do a forward roll whilst keeping your skis on".

1) Find a gentle slope, with about 40cm of (According to Radio R' les Arcs) 'champagne powder'
2) Ensure your hands are not through your pole straps
3) Forget you are off the side of the piste, and attempt to use your edges. This will create the required comparative momentum between body and skis: one stopped, the other... not.
4) Tuck your head in to prevent the otherwise inevitable face plant, and letting go your poles, use your helmet crown as the first point of impact.
5) Continue gracefully in an arc, ending up on your back, skis now across the hill, ready to resume the day's activites
6) Ask your family to supress their mirth and recover your poles for you.

S'easy.

Great day, 90+km covered (according to Yuge), most of it the right way up.

2000 bowl tracked out before 1800 side, but still lots of fun to be had. The only time we didn't ski straight onto the lift was at Arcabulle, when we had to wait for a couple of chairs, and then, dammit, share with someone!
Seems like there's more snow coming too, which is good: some of the blacks on the 2000 face need a bit more, they are a bit windswept. Skiable (albeit closed - not that that stops anyone these days) but still seeing the odd bit of vegetation.
Lanchettes opened today for Villaroger, as did Grand Col. A few other lifts are still closed, as are some runs: suspect it is for preserving some snow for Christmas week.
But for the piste munchers, and those of you arrving next week, this is as good as last year. And considerably better than the year before.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy