Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

However the runs to resort have often been formally closed

Skiing closed pistes can invalidate insurance policies which often exclude skiing against local advice. I'd always be wary of it, no matter how relaxed the pisteurs.

Because I always did Les Contamines from the Belleville side skiing down to LC village was never an issue. I only did it once because I'd left a wallet in the café at Jonction and it had been "handed in". The snow wasn't too bad - the lift was open, but it was unpleasant because there were people haring down barely in control. I think if I lived there I'd often choose the bubble (skiing down to the bottom at Belleville is not always that enjoyable, either, when snow isn't great).

A good friend of mine had an apartment in Chamonix for many years - she said they often chose to ski in LC towards the end of the season, because of the quality of the snow there.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The snow wasn't too bad - the lift was open, but it was unpleasant because there were people haring down barely in control.

That's definitely a risk around 4PM on busy days! Even with the runs "closed" they were busy at NY!
It's one of those rare occasions where skiing faster feels safer (provided you are in control) - definitely an acquired taste but I take a certain masochistic pleasure in dealing with it competently Madeye-Smiley
And I don't mind slaloming my way around stones, bare patches and puddles either but I do realise that's borderline perverted Embarassed
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ster, Heading to Les C next Saturday 13th from Sallanches, what time do you think I need to up there to ensure parking. ? I have a Megeave pass from last year, reckon I can use this to book online ? Thanks for your help
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Thunderer21, Upthread I noted that there's a webcam at the base of the two gondolas in Les C -- I prefer Gorge. My experience has been that if you get to the parking lot by 830 and the first lift up (around 830-9 depending on the time of the year) you'll be laughing; if you wait until 10 you'll be crying.

That said a Saturday in mid-Jan will be a LOT less crowded than the holidays so you will probably be OK no matter what time you get there. You should be able to use your Megeve pass to book online (also HIGHLY recommended as the automatic top up stations were closed this Xmas...)

I normally check the lines at Gorge on the way down to decide if I'm going to ski all the way to the base or catch the telecabine. It probably takes the same amount of time to ski down as it does to take the telecabine...no line, we take the lift down; lines, we ski down.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Pasigal, Thanks for advice, I assume Gorge is the lift station higher up the valley.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Thunderer21, yes, its the one closer to the end of the valley and the more southerly of the two. But you would likely pass the main Montjoie uplift on the way so could assess that as you pass for parking/queues.

The Megeve pass should work, you'll find out pretty quick on line if it has the right number of digits that allows it to be loaded on-line.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Conditions obviously improving but not as much snow as forecasted over the weekend. Nice to see runs like prapacot open today but already very bare at the bottom. Snow was boot deep under the Croix lift but it certainly was a day for tre lined runs.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @devilabit. Two weeks till we are out again so fingers crossed the vague promise of more snow next weekend turns good.

However Prapacot is encouraging. Frustrating those runs down to Princesse mid station haven't been open so far, why on earth haven't those nice north facing runs got snow making?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
At least have snow making on the traverse, that's usually the worst part. They do often use a portable snow canon on Princess but never seen it in use at the bottom.

j b wrote:
Thanks @devilabit. Two weeks till we are out again so fingers crossed the vague promise of more snow next weekend turns good.

However Prapacot is encouraging. Frustrating those runs down to Princesse mid station haven't been open so far, why on earth haven't those nice north facing runs got snow making?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What are current snow conditions like in Megeve? I'm thinking about a day-trip this Friday, but not sure if I should go somewhere higher instead. Is the Rochebrune or Mont d'Arbois side better at the moment? Thanks!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
devilabit wrote:
At least have snow making on the traverse, that's usually the worst part.

Agreed. The slopes there mostly face North, but I guess where you turn left to get to the Princesse mid-station must have enough West to heat up in afternoon sun.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hold_my_biere wrote:
What are current snow conditions like in Megeve? I'm thinking about a day-trip this Friday, but not sure if I should go somewhere higher instead. Is the Rochebrune or Mont d'Arbois side better at the moment? Thanks!

Conditions lovely right now on Rochebrune . Just officially opening the last few corners.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pasigal wrote:
@Thunderer21, Upthread I noted that there's a webcam at the base of the two gondolas in Les C -- I prefer Gorge. My experience has been that if you get to the parking lot by 830 and the first lift up (around 830-9 depending on the time of the year) you'll be laughing; if you wait until 10 you'll be crying.

That said a Saturday in mid-Jan will be a LOT less crowded than the holidays so you will probably be OK no matter what time you get there. You should be able to use your Megeve pass to book online (also HIGHLY recommended as the automatic top up stations were closed this Xmas...)

I normally check the lines at Gorge on the way down to decide if I'm going to ski all the way to the base or catch the telecabine. It probably takes the same amount of time to ski down as it does to take the telecabine...no line, we take the lift down; lines, we ski down.

The only thing would add is that Les C has been getting a lot more popular for weekend skiing even in Jan. Most skiers are driving in from the day (I've now met three Geneva residents who have said that Les C is one of their top choices for a day).

What this means is that while mid week in Jan is really quiet, weekends can be quite busy if the weather is good and especially if nearby resorts don't have great snow. If the weather is good, I would try to get up by around lift opening time. There will likely be a lift queue at 845 but it should move fast and the queue will say a similar length until 10. After 10 you will likely be parking down the road rather than in the car park - not a disaster but best avoided. I would also suggest Gorge rather than Lay because the parking is just more obvious. At Lay there are multiple parking spots and you can often squeeze in with local knowledge but otherwise Gorge is better.

Oh another thing - if you want to have a proper lunch on the mountain then I would reserve at the weekend, Probably fine doing it in person when you get up the mountain but otherwise phone.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jedster, I suspect it will only become more popular. Reasonable price and good snow, better skiing IMO than St. Gervais, less crowded for now than Grand Massif.

If you don't want to pay for lunch, there are two good salles hors sacs....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pasigal wrote:
If you don't want to pay for lunch, there are two good salles hors sacs....

I hadn't realised that. I know the one at Signal well, where is the other?
latest report
@jedster, Thanks for advice
snow report
@jedster, Thanks for advice
snow report
Had a very nice day around St Gervais (late start due administration rolling eyes ). Flitted around generally, loads of parking at Bettex. Drinks Chez Marie which seemed reasonable and a good hearty lunch Chez Ernestine. Excellent Farcon (Farcement) and pork chop snowHead

Snow generally OK, but no idea what all the muppets were doing off piste. It was not deep, at all.
latest report
@under a new name, Chez Ernestine is one of the places we like though the Clementines piste down to it can get a bit nasty - if we aren't aiming for the restaurant the red short cut is much nicer. Which is the place you call Chez Marie (it is likely we know it but not the name)?
latest report
Had a nice day going up from St Gervais skiing mid mountain.
Both pistes and roads were practically empty when we went up at 8:30. Got a bit crowded at 11:30 and forward.

Pretty sure I became airborne the first time using the Freddy lift Happy
latest report
ThinSocks wrote:
Had a nice day going up from St Gervais skiing mid mountain.
Both pistes and roads were practically empty when we went up at 8:30. Got a bit crowded at 11:30 and forward.

Pretty sure I became airborne the first time using the Freddy lift Happy

That Freddy button is letal especially for us boarders!

Today there was a little top up which was nice for touring and the pistes. Unfortunately there will be quite a lot of rain on Wednesday impacting more or less all altitudes, hopefully we get enough snow on the backedge from Thursday afternoon to limit the damage as the weather looks nice next weekend.
snow conditions
Indeed, Freddy is a pig of a drag lift.

When we were out before Christmas we used it quite a lot, there weren't that many lifts open. The last time there was a clearly inexperienced girl being encouraged on to it by her boyfriend, she was having so much problem just poling the slight uphill entry to it that the queue was overtaking them. At the top I waited for our daughter who I'd arranged to meet there while my wife started out home. It was a long wait, the drag kept stopping. Eventually though this same girl appeared at the top, presumably having had a few kangaroo jump false starts causing those stops, and had clearly been told to hang on to the pole for dear life - but not that she had to let go of it at the top. She did become airborne then, landing on her back and being dragged back down before the lift guy hit the stop button. There was a long wait while she was checked over by the secour de piste from the cabin next door, but eventually the lift restarted, her boyfriend soon emerged and the two went off together. I had assumed they would download on the gondola, but no, when my daughter eventually made it to the top and we set off down Chateluy we overtook them gingerly skiing down, he doing a backwards snow plough holding both her hands. I wonder if she will ever try skiing again, or indeed believe her boyfriend when he tells her something is easy.

I hope @devilabit is right and there won't be too much damage from the warmth on Wednesday and a good recovery on Thursday - we are back out next week.
snow report
Chalet Sauvage.

Really?

€60,000 for a bottle of 'poo?
snow conditions
I'm looking at the current weather on snow-forecast.com - I'm assuming it is not advisable to head out today?
snow report
Skied around the top of Mont Joux today. Snow up at the top pistes has held up much better than I had expected.
latest report
great, flying out tomorrow for cheeky 4 days.
snow report
@ThinSocks, @Jonny996, yes, I've been nervously checking the webcams and the top seemed to revert to snow quite quickly. Bettex looks a bit of a mess, hope that gets sorted out with overnight snow (?) and pisting. We're out on Sunday.
snow report
@j b, Bettex ought to get a bit of a top up overnight + pisting, should be fine. Above Bettex everything should fine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@under a new name, thanks for the reassurance. Not sure whether the slopes running further down (to Monts Rosset lift) will operate though; I can't remember whether there is snowmaking down there.
snow report
Poue Blanche to Monts Rosset lift was open today and in far better condition than expected based on the swimming pool that Bettex was!

Above 1600m snow was thick but heavy. Tomorrow should be good Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
Thanks @Mike_E, reassuringly positive. Is the red Marmire open as well, not least because the little restaurant just above the chairlift is a favourite low-key lunch spot?
snow conditions
I doubt it.. Marmire was open but terrible even before the rain started
ski holidays
j b wrote:
@under a new name, thanks for the reassurance. Not sure whether the slopes running further down (to Monts Rosset lift) will operate though; I can't remember whether there is snowmaking down there.

There is snow making on that run. Surprised they went to the bother of making snow for the home run given the forecast. It's really a year where above 1600m is doing well overall but below that has been very wet.
ski holidays
Just back from 4 days in Les Contamines. Pistes and off-piste overall in great condition, with a pretty solid top-up on Monday night (snow / rain limit around 1500m on Monday from around 15:00 and continued all through the night). Yesterday conditions were great on pretty much everything except the lower Montjoie/Variante runs down to Etape, which were a little the worse for wear once you got halfway between the top of the chair lift and Etape - the odd dark patch showing the effects of rain followed by an above-zero day. Still very ski-able though, for all abilities (I've been skiing 25 years, while 2 friends with me were on their first ever ski trip)

Hauteluce runs are, as ever, best from late morning once the initial icy crust has softened on the upper slopes.

The Chon Gorge / Lay red from Etape was very soft but skiable yesterday around 14:00 but will need some work to be open for this coming weekend. No, I didn't take my friends down there!

Queues at Le Lay and Gorge for the gondolas were insane on Sat/Sun. You need to be parked by 09:00 or take your chances on the road. Police Municipale in evidence enforcing "no parking" areas both days. We pretty much had the mountain to ourselves Mon/Tue.

A great long weekend. Can't wait to head back out there in March.
latest report
@NoDosh, thanks for the update. I'm heading over tomorrow for a long weekend
snow report
StG prity much the same, great condition’s about 200 meters above Bettix but I am worried for half term.
The temperature doesn’t seem to drop below zero between now & then with some warm days forecast.
I think it was busy at the weekend due to it being “the white weekend” where passes were €35 for the day.
snow report
Just back from a long weekend in Les C. Summary is pistes have good cover but are FIRM. Off piste has been rained on and is FIRM. Resort was busy Sat/Sun - again lots of people driving in from around the region so presume conditions not great elsewhere. However once you were past the queues at the bubbles and were up the mountain it was not too hectic. Good weather/company/eating/drinking was a good compensation for ho hum snow.

Oh, runs to resort have been looked after well and are in good shape. But busy!
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Just back from a long weekend in Les C. Summary is pistes have good cover but are FIRM. Off piste has been rained on and is FIRM. Resort was busy Sat/Sun - again lots of people driving in from around the region so presume conditions not great elsewhere. However once you were past the queues at the bubbles and were up the mountain it was not too hectic. Good weather/company/eating/drinking was a good compensation for ho hum snow.

Oh, runs to resort have been looked after well and are in good shape. But busy!

Agreed, resort runs are probably the best runs at the moment. I would prefer slush to ice but not is going to change for the foreseable. I only see high pressure on the models for the next week and then there is a chance then it changes later in the week but that keeps getting pushed out.
snow report
jedster wrote:
Resort was busy Sat/Sun

I was there the Saturday before last, just after some heavy snowfalls, and getting parked was a challenge just after 10am and we were probably one of the last that they let park on the road. Wasn't too bad once up on the slopes though.

Les C was always my go-to place when things were busy elsewhere as it never seemed to get too busy as it was a bit off the radar, but this no longer seems to be the case sadly (although good for Les C I suppose)
latest report
Whitters wrote:
jedster wrote:
Resort was busy Sat/Sun

I was there the Saturday before last, just after some heavy snowfalls, and getting parked was a challenge just after 10am and we were probably one of the last that they let park on the road. Wasn't too bad once up on the slopes though.

Les C was always my go-to place when things were busy elsewhere as it never seemed to get too busy as it was a bit off the radar, but this no longer seems to be the case sadly (although good for Les C I suppose)

I think whats making it busier this year is partly due to reduced parking in SG due to the works and the amount of buses especially on Sundays that go to Les Conta is insane, hence why you have queues first thing. My wife skiied this morning in SG while 4 year old had ski class and conditions surprisiningly much better than last weekend and what runs are open are in decent shape. There might be a couple of cms of snow tomorrow night down to ~1700m but no major change expected until mid next week with a change then to something more interesting Friday week, its still a long way off.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy