Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Its really picked up this morning, at least 5cm fell while I was out during school drop offs. There is a nice chart on the LC site that tracks snowfall in realtime, its difficult to read the time but you can see the increased rate since 7.30am.
https://www.lescontamines.net/meteo.html#snowSignal
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks @devilabit, I saw the snow in the square on the webcam and reckoned that is going to be rather more higher up. And the piste map shows @Idris's sector open again, and also the blue and red pistes down to Princesse mid station.

That snowfall chart is indeed difficult to interpret in detail but encouraging. And the forecast looks like more snow showers all today and tomorrow. What we like is the way it currently looks to stay cold but be nice and sunny for us next week.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Doing my happy Les C dance.... Blast over to Southampton Airport early doors Saturday morning, hand luggage only plus up-front boarding, grumble at the passport queues at GVA then grab sprint past the luggage reclaim to get the hire car. Should be in Les C for around 12:30 to grab our skis from the garage at our mate's place and if it's not grim visibility, get on the slopes for a couple of hours. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any live update for St Gervais? From the IG feed, there seems to have been a fair dump of snow to town level so even more on the mountain! I'm out in early March so do you think there was enough snow to form a good base that will hold up for the rest of the season?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Roscoe, we're not heading out until the weekend but everything is looking good on the webcams. I hope that with the cold temperatures forecast for the next week they will be making artificial snow too to keep building up the base.

On the map there still seem to be some lifts not yet opened. I understand that the Mont Joly runs are low priority, but I would have thought Monts Rosset justified being open. And Jouty over in Combloux.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
j b wrote:
@Roscoe, we're not heading out until the weekend but everything is looking good on the webcams. I hope that with the cold temperatures forecast for the next week they will be making artificial snow too to keep building up the base.

On the map there still seem to be some lifts not yet opened. I understand that the Mont Joly runs are low priority, but I would have thought Monts Rosset justified being open. And Jouty over in Combloux.

You would hope they'd have the cannons as a priority over the next few days.

You'll have to provide live updates once your out there. Have a great trip!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure about the updates @Roscoe, my stubby fingers work much better on a keyboard than a touchscreen and we will be travelling light (no computer). Maybe something very succinct!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Update from Les Contamines. Thierry at Intersport Ronchail (Hameau du Lay) this morning when I enquired if the snow I ordered had arrived: "Did you order twice by mistake?"

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
j b wrote:
Not sure about the updates @Roscoe, my stubby fingers work much better on a keyboard than a touchscreen and we will be travelling light (no computer). Maybe something very succinct!

No worries. You picked a great weekend for it and a full debrief will be needed when your back Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NoDosh wrote:
Update from Les Contamines. Thierry at Intersport Ronchail (Hameau du Lay) this morning when I enquired if the snow I ordered had arrived: "Did you order twice by mistake?"

Looking good!!!!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
j b wrote:

There is a big promotional weekend on this weekend, so I think they are going to be going full out to make sure everything that can be opened is opened this weekend, I know the Mont Rosset 6 man chair (my back entrance into the domian) has been closed but due to open this weekend
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Roscoe wrote:
Looking good!!!!

Odd to think that 6 months ago I was stood on the outcrop to the right of the picture after a 4 hour climb up from the village. Naturally cloud came in about 10 minutes from me completing the ascent Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NoDosh wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
Looking good!!!!

Odd to think that 6 months ago I was stood on the outcrop to the right of the picture after a 4 hour climb up from the village. Naturally cloud came in about 10 minutes from me completing the ascent Laughing

Oh wow!! I've not been to the mountains in summer (wife and kids prefer the beach) but its on my bucket list!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roscoe wrote:
... a full debrief will be needed when your back

Will do my best.

We have a vested interest in the snow staying good as well, we too will be returning early March and then again for the last week of the season (only skiing opportunity for our daughter).

The Alps are fantastic in the summer too, can't really compare the two seasons because they are such different experiences. Plenty of great walks, and of course you still have the grandeur of Mont Blanc dominating the horizon and making every view special.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And all those flowers! And the cows with bells on!
snow conditions
Snow looks amazing on the web cams - so light a fluffy. I'm feeling slight put out that the weather has turned nice before I get there bt that is being VERY greedy. And in any case, you can get fresh tracks for days after the fall in Les C - there's so much accessible acreage
snow conditions
Roscoe wrote:
Oh wow!! I've not been to the mountains in summer (wife and kids prefer the beach) but its on my bucket list!

Do it!

Here's what that peak looks like from the top in late June. I did the climb in blazing sunshine (I set off at 06:00, "practical" sunrise was 07:00 once it cleared the peaks) then the cloud came in as I got into the last part of the climb.

In that second photo, Megeve is to the right, Les C to the left. Behind me is the summit of Mont Joly while straight ahead is the arete that takes you to Tête de la Combaz (continue along the arete, down into the cloud then another slog upwards to Combaz). Makes your knees wobble, walking along that in swirling cloud.

I then headed over to Veleray, then on down to the village via Auberge de Colombaz. Blooming great way to spend a day.
snow conditions
j b wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
... a full debrief will be needed when your back

Will do my best.

We have a vested interest in the snow staying good as well, we too will be returning early March and then again for the last week of the season (only skiing opportunity for our daughter).

The Alps are fantastic in the summer too, can't really compare the two seasons because they are such different experiences. Plenty of great walks, and of course you still have the grandeur of Mont Blanc dominating the horizon and making every view special.

I'd imagine it as (if not more) beautiful as the winter!

I'm out for a long weekend from 8th March, so might bump into you. We're staying at the bottom of the Bettex (quiet literally in the new apartments build 19/20). Any suggestions for place to eat and drink? Will be 8 adults in total.
ski holidays
NoDosh wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Do it!

Here's what that peak looks like from the top in late June. I did the climb in blazing sunshine (I set off at 06:00, "practical" sunrise was 07:00 once it cleared the peaks) then the cloud came in as I got into the last part of the climb.

In that second photo, Megeve is to the right, Les C to the left. Behind me is the summit of Mont Joly while straight ahead is the arete that takes you to Tête de la Combaz (continue along the arete, down into the cloud then another slog upwards to Combaz). Makes your knees wobble, walking along that in swirling cloud.

I then headed over to Veleray, then on down to the village via Auberge de Colombaz. Blooming great way to spend a day.

Oh my!! Looks fantastic!
ski holidays

Pretty nice up there in autumn too - an unexpectedly cold October morning. There were still cows up there, looking forlornly at the frozen water.
snow report
@Roscoe, I am assuming you mean the apartments at the bottom of the first gondola, not actually in Bettex (at its top). If so you will be dead convenient for skiing, and in the autumn it looked like a ski hire place was due to open in the basement so it is all on site.

There is a bar just across the road behind the apartment block, near the exit of the home run (if it is open, it ends pretty low) so good for a drink before heading in for a shower. But most places are in town, a short walk across the bridge. The bar on the street opposite the church, Les 3 Mousequetons, is the one that sees us usually. For food it depends on what you want, there is a good range from burgers and pizzas to Michelin star cuisine, and they are all decent for their type.
snow report
j b wrote:
@Roscoe, I am assuming you mean the apartments at the bottom of the first gondola, not actually in Bettex (at its top). If so you will be dead convenient for skiing, and in the autumn it looked like a ski hire place was due to open in the basement so it is all on site.

There is a bar just across the road behind the apartment block, near the exit of the home run (if it is open, it ends pretty low) so good for a drink before heading in for a shower. But most places are in town, a short walk across the bridge. The bar on the street opposite the church, Les 3 Mousequetons, is the one that sees us usually. For food it depends on what you want, there is a good range from burgers and pizzas to Michelin star cuisine, and they are all decent for their type.

Yes that's the one, I meant the gondola.

Great news on the ski hire place, I'll have a quick search online now.

I had noticed that bar on a quick google street view check, so good to know that its good for a few apres's before heading out for dinner. We'd be looking for more of the savoyard cuisine so assuming there will be plenty on offer.

Any bars in town to live music?
ski holidays
We were due out last week (before the fresh snow arrived) so we changed our plans and went to Val Disere for 3 days skiing instead (it was deffo the correct judgment call to make at the time & we had a great few days skiing in Val)

Glad to see the forecasted snow did actually arrive and it is now starting to open all back up. We are back out to Saint Gervais 10th March for a week. So hoping that a decent base can now set in to carry through for the season.
latest report
Great conditions today, granted its very cold but we want that to a degree. Off piste was very nice and hadnt been tracked out due to the difficult conditions at altitude the last few days. I would expect piste skiing to be awesome the next few days once the new snow compresses a little more. The SG home run was worked on today, snow guns are on and noticed some people ski down so would expect that to open soon as should almost everything else by the weekend.
snow conditions
@Roscoe, the Snowheads' favourite for Savoyard traditionals is Le Galeta - difficult to find unless you know it is there, it is behind the buildings on the west side of the square (you can go round either side, or there is a narrow passage between two buildings). Once you get there though you might be tempted away from your intended fondue or tartiflette to their excellent grill. One worth booking for.

Otherwise Edelweiss, just up from the church.

I think, unless others report differently, the only place with (occasional) live music in winter is the Pur Bar on the square. It is the only one with the space. In the summer, others sometimes have outdoor gigs.

@devilabit, discussions here in advance of packing are all about how to make sure we are warm enough next week! Snow should be great though.
snow report
Snow guns are working hard this morning.

latest report
j b wrote:
@Roscoe, the Snowheads' favourite for Savoyard traditionals is Le Galeta - difficult to find unless you know it is there, it is behind the buildings on the west side of the square (you can go round either side, or there is a narrow passage between two buildings). Once you get there though you might be tempted away from your intended fondue or tartiflette to their excellent grill. One worth booking for.

Otherwise Edelweiss, just up from the church.

I think, unless others report differently, the only place with (occasional) live music in winter is the Pur Bar on the square. It is the only one with the space. In the summer, others sometimes have outdoor gigs.

@devilabit, discussions here in advance of packing are all about how to make sure we are warm enough next week! Snow should be great though.

@j b Thanks for this info! Le Galeta will definitely by booked a few times I'm sure!
snow report
devilabit wrote:
Snow guns are working hard this morning.

Assume thats the run home into town?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roscoe wrote:

Yes, they are probably going to try to have it open for the big event thats on this weekend.
latest report
devilabit wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Yes, they are probably going to try to have it open for the big event thats on this weekend.

Out of interest, how would you rate the (red) run in terms of difficulty? We'll have 2/3 beginners with us on the trip so would be good for them to be able to ski down with the rest of us. They are comfortable on blues but the thought of a red would put the fear of god in them. I'm hoping I could persuade them down if it was on the easy side for a red run?
ski holidays
The home run isn't really worth it, as you can see from @devilabit's picture the area alongside has become fairly built-up leaving it quite narrow in places and with quite a lot of small residential roads to cross. Coupled with the fact the snow easily gets patchy, the bottom is only at 900m. No fun for beginners, and not particularly rewarding - other than the satisfaction of not taking the lift - to those more experienced.

Much easier to download from Bettex on the big gondola.

However you can see quite a lot of the run from the gondola as you go up, it snakes around much the same route, and make your own assessment.
ski holidays
j b wrote:
The home run isn't really worth it, as you can see from @devilabit's picture the area alongside has become fairly built-up leaving it quite narrow in places and with quite a lot of small residential roads to cross. Coupled with the fact the snow easily gets patchy, the bottom is only at 900m. No fun for beginners, and not particularly rewarding - other than the satisfaction of not taking the lift - to those more experienced.

However you can see quite a lot of the run from the gondola as you go up, it snakes around much the same route, and make your own assessment.

Thanks, thats great info. Unlikely that the beginners will be interesting but might give it a go for the "experience" and meet them in The Last Bar for a few cold ones!
ski holidays
j b wrote:

Home run ends at 810m. Its a red and a proper red in places and as you say more often than not its not in great condition so only suitable for stronger skiers. The very last section is the worst usually as its both icy and narrow. This year they have blocked traffic on Rue du Mont Joly so at least that takes that road crossing away.
latest report
Roscoe wrote:
devilabit wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

Out of interest, how would you rate the (red) run in terms of difficulty? We'll have 2/3 beginners with us on the trip so would be good for them to be able to ski down with the rest of us. They are comfortable on blues but the thought of a red would put the fear of god in them. I'm hoping I could persuade them down if it was on the easy side for a red run?

Avoid the home run if you can, it’s a tricky red , never has good snow and mega busy come home time, it’s not a pleasant end to your day.
Also pain to get down stairs at very end and icy down hill path in boots to locker
snow report
Roscoe wrote:
j b wrote:

Thanks, thats great info. Unlikely that the beginners will be interesting but might give it a go for the "experience" and meet them in The Last Bar for a few cold ones!

The last bar has closed & is now a Thai restaurant
snow conditions
Jonny996 wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
j b wrote:

Nooooo!!!! Is there a bar close to the Gondola? Or will it have to be a walk into town?
ski holidays
Roscoe wrote:
devilabit wrote:
Roscoe wrote:

We have visited SGV/Megeve and les C for the last 6yrs or so (its our fave area overall for a family trip) as its just a good family friendly resort that generally works well for all abilities, its big enough to keep the good skiers happy but small enough that you are never too far away from the other family members so that you can link back quickly to all meet back up for lunch and ski together for a few runs etc.

I would not class any of the reds as particularly steep, but its a bit subjective as not steep for some can be bloody steep for others. As i said i think overall its a good family friendly resort that just works well for our group of 6 and we love it their. If the snow cover is good lower down i think the run down is worth it. But you do end up hopping over some roads towards the bottom of the run near the lift.
snow report
Roscoe wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
j b wrote:

Nooooo!!!! Is there a bar close to the Gondola? Or will it have to be a walk into town?

There is to uber trendy bar under the new flats just 100 meter towards town from the last bar
ski holidays
Jonny996 wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
j b wrote:

There is to uber trendy bar under the new flats just 100 meter towards town from the last bar

I think that might be where we are staying. Is that the new block build within a stones throw of the gondola?
latest report
Roscoe wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
Jonny996 wrote:
Roscoe wrote:
j b wrote:

I think that might be where we are staying. Is that the new block build within a stones throw of the gondola?

There are 2 new developments, one virtually in the gondola car park & the other the other side of the road but we are talking 50 yards apart so no difference really , there is also a new pizza place there where the Nerry Glisse hire shop used to let you store your skis over night.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy