Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evasion Mont Blanc - Megeve/St Gervais/Combloux/Les Contamines - 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
Looking out the window at work Pistes on the upper mountain quite nice. Lower mountain, put it this way there were 30+ cannons and 6 piste bashers making things nice again on my ski home.....they weren't supposed to be up on the mountain until we had left, but they couldn't wait.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
better snow on upper slopes !

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Where was that?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
St Gervais.

Idris has posted this, this morning

https://www.facebook.com/511777173/videos/894960594995183/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh Lord!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shocked Shocked
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I’m flying out Boxing Day, looks like I might be dismantling the old kitchen sooner than I thought
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny996 wrote:
I’m flying out Boxing Day, looks like I might be dismantling the old kitchen sooner than I thought

You are ok, colder temps returning Tuesday. Might have to shut a fair bit tonight to save it for then. Or that's the current plan at Rochbrune
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How is Les Contimens looking, anyone been up there last couple of days?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This is Les Houches in the Chamonix valley. The high area of this particular small, but lovely resort:

https://www.seechamonix.com/webcams/prarion

Snow conditions look awful after this weather. I've been here plenty of times over Xmas and never seen it anything like this.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
One for the road

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:
One for the road

Was it today????
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
davidof wrote:
One for the road

Blimey
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks awfully green .. Princess?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ugh!

The webcam this morning of Bettex looked pretty bad. OK temperature are due to fall - but will there be more snow?

(From our point of view, it is three weeks before we are out, so fingers crossed everything has changed by then).
snow report
Im definatley going to be doing DIY this trip.
latest report
Eeep. We are out there from 7th Jan for a week. What do people think? Are things likely to change much in the next couple of weeks?
latest report
Les Contimens skied ok today but was very busy & it’s a mix of man made snow.
It’s to get warmer from Friday so not great for NY but maybe by 7th?
ski holidays
Got a 4 day trip booked to Les Contamines on the the 10th Jan & again in March (been going to Saint Gervais, Megeve, Les cont's area for about 6yrs straight and have never had a bad week)
seriously starting to think about binning the Jan trip off and going to Val D instead as it looks pretty grim at the min and the forecast running up to the 9th of Jan does not look to hot at the min.

My big concern about switching to Val D or similar is everyone in the Alps will be thinking the same and will also be looking to switch to the higher resorts of Val D, Val T etc. So it will be lots of ques and just all really too much bother as we will have to cut the ski days down to 2 (due to the extra traveling involved to get to resort timewise) to make it all worth while.
ski holidays
Decision made, swapped our accommodation and plans so we are now going to Val disere instead. Longer drive from Geneva but hey ho such is life.

Back out in March to Saint Gervais so fingers x all will be well by then (which I’m sure it will be for our March trip) but the current conditions and forecast just left us with no other option for our thrip out on the 10th than either to bin it off completely or go a lot higher.

I feel so sorry for all the restaurants, bars, staff and also all the mountain workers. 2/3yrs of Covid and now this. It really is pants for all involved.
ski holidays
They're going to get 10 feet in late Jan / early Feb .. they'll all be fine.
snow report
I hope your right Eh oh! Eh oh!
snow conditions
All the lifts will be closed for days
latest report
Yeah, perhaps.
snow conditions
No perhaps about it with 10 foot of snow
latest report
I was thinking 8-10 inches per day for 2+ weeks .. seems like they'll be able to handle that.

Just in time for my Feb half term trip.
snow conditions
Where does the lift closure come from? With a personal interest in St Gervais we have been following the webcams and info, and it does sound pretty dire - you can't even get from St G to St Nicholas at the moment. And the views of Bettex show a very thin ribbon of snow.

I feel for @Jonny996 and anyone else out there at the moment, but surely - surely - the mild spell won't last and weather patterns will return to something like the average.
snow conditions
In 20+ years in SG at Feb half term we've always had passable snow. Youngest is now year 12 so nearly out of half term hell. Hoping for some good snow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Half term is a really good bet for snow cover! Just too many peeps.
latest report
@bpirkle, sounds a reasonable bet.

Don't count your chickens - if your child goes to university you may find family skiing limited to Easter which can be pretty dodgy depending on dates. This year just gone our daughter could only do Easter week (10-17 April, so late) and while she loved a bit of a skiing fix we probably did as much walking as skiing. At least it is a week earlier in 2023, and more propitious in 2024.
snow conditions
These days we stay in Sallanches and drive to SG, Megeve, Les C, Chamonix, La Giettaz but the kids love our days skiing from N.D.de Bellecombe to Crest-Volande .. never really find the lift lines long at any of these places although it's probably busier than normal. There will be snow.
snow conditions
Interesting @bpirkle, how does that work? We have visited Sallanches several times for rather focussed shopping trips, and changed buses there, but never really got a feel for what sort of town it is to stay in. It is pretty well connected - though a drive to La Giettaz seems a trek, it would be fine to park at Combloux and ski over.

But having our own place we are always going to be based in StG. We haven't yet explored Espace Diamant - plans got symied by Covid in 2020 - but we have this year again bought a season ticket so have a free day we hope to do.
latest report
We always used to stay in SG but down the hill in Sallanches is cheaper and not far from any of the stations we like to ski. It’s a nice little town and I like the locals vibe compared to the resorts. A bit closer to Cham as well. Yes we ski to Giettaz from Combloux .. much closer. We drove to through there from Flumet to Clusaz once but I’ll never try that again in winter.
snow report
We purchased a little apartment in La Giettaz a couple of year ago. Regarding the road from Flumet, our first ever visit in December 2020 was a little dicey. We bought following an online viewing during lockdown so weren't fully sure on directions. It was around 8pm at night with a full scale blizzard falling and our first time on that road. However, never had any issues since as the road always gets cleared quick following weather.

Regarding snow conditions, we were out the week before Christmas and conditions did deteriorate towards the end of the week with the rain and warmer weather. Piste conditions much better on the Giettaz side compared to Combloux/Megeve. Also did a couple of days in La Clusaz where conditions were slightly better but slopes much busier. Back out at the end of Feb so fingers crossed plenty of snow falls before then.
ski holidays
I've never skied in the US but I gather most people there drive to the slopes. As more UK skiers drive to the Alps perhaps it will become more common to stay somewhere like Sallanches.
snow report
Well I’ve had to drive to Les Contimens the last few days as StG has about 4 runs open and all I can say is I’m glad I can walk to StG gondola normally, this loading the car, hoping you can find a parking space, changing out of the boot & knowing you have it all to do again on the way back.
It’s not for me.
As for slope conditions, today at top of Olympic in LC, so high up , it was 8 degrees , the slush was running off the pistes & it was amazingly busy so choppy as hell.
It’s going to be warm tomorrow so I don’t see how it can last without major snow injection.
After all that, still love it here.
Off to dinner then party, so happy new year when it comes.
latest report
@mjmoran8, congratulations on that purchase which I don't think has previously been reported here. Though there are few local runs in La Giettaz they are definitely fun - and have the huge advantage of being north-facing. Possibly a bit of a schlep getting further afield beyond Combloux, but we do the trip the other way quite regularly.

I do see that in bad weather there might be issues with access being dependent on that road up to Col des Aravis.

Happy New Year everyone! And drink to decent snowfalls in 2023 - we need nice snow for three weeks time.
latest report
One of the best days we’ve had was at La Giettaz on our last trip in Feb 2020 just before covid hit. Loads of fresh snow and very few people out.
snow report
Thanks @j-b. We are really happy with the apartment in La Giettaz. The idea of buying started as a pipe dream a long while ago, initially looking at your area (St Gervais) and the area is great in both winter and summer. Apologies for taking it away from the snow report thread so will keep quiet again and wish you all a happy new year!
snow conditions
@mjmoran8, no need to apologize. We're always interested to hear about people's mountain hideaways!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy