Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Old Fart season ticket price . . .

Poster: A snowHead
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Powder Mountain $595.00 (£462) . . . sorted . . . let's have some snow this winter Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitefish is free for 70 +

Arapahoe Basin is 105$ for 70+ [ no blackouts]

The evil empire's Epic pass is 899$ and there is no age related discount whatsoever. But if you ski Vail for 6 days or so then it starts to make sense as a walk up day ticket is about 175$. NB there is an age related discount on day tickets bought in advance.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@TQA, I'm not 70 Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Season tickets for 65+ are $560 if bought by Sept. 30.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Masque wrote:
@TQA, I'm not 70 Toofy Grin

Then you are not yet an old fart.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My red mountain season pass for this year was under £500 (regular adult, only discount was for buying early).

It's interesting that resorts have senior rates. Generally the older people are retired so get more days in, and are likely wealthier than younger people in their twenties so arguably don't need the discount as much. Seems kind of unfair.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hands off the senior lift pass discount@boarder2020
Just a minute ....
Who's been around for all these years pasting their well earned alpine dollars to the wall and supporting the lift companies?

I for one would probably be quite a rich man if I had not discovered skiing in 1963.

If you are lucky enough one day you'll be a senior skier as well and you can enjoy the privilege of a discounted lift pass and a free bus pass and a TV licence when you are too blind and deaf to use it.

Hands off the senior lift pass discount
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boarder2020 wrote:

It's interesting that resorts have senior rates. Generally the older people are retired so get more days in, and are likely wealthier than younger people in their twenties so arguably don't need the discount as much. Seems kind of unfair.

People in their twenties quite often get HUGE discount, if they’re in college. At least in the US anyway.

On the other hand, if they’re in college, they will be getting a decent income soon. Why should mountains give them such big discount? Seems kind of unfair.

Let’s do away with ANY discount. If they can’t afford to ski, there’ll be more space for those who can.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't worry @DrLawn I'm not that bothered as it really doesn't affect me. In fact I'd never really thought about it until a gondola discussion with a guy with a senior pass. He was the one saying it was unfair! He was saying they need to do more to encourage younger people to take up skiing which is becoming unaffordable to many in North America due to the high lift ticket costs (I realise there are deals but for someone planning their first ski trip looking at day tickets on top of all the rental equipment etc.). I think the stats support that skiing is a dying sport in this regard in North America. Without recruiting new skiers there will be noone to subsidize the pass for seniors in future and while less skiers means less crowds, too many less means higher pass costs.

On the other hand most of the seniors are pretty set financially and would be buying a pass regardless of discount or not. They also likely have more free time to use the pass more, so would still be getting a better deal than the younger people still at work.

It was an interesting point of view i had not really considered.

Quote:
On the other hand, if they’re in college, they will be getting a decent income soon. Why should mountains give them such big discount?

Simple economics. Get them into skiing while they are young by giving them a cheap rate, then profit when they are older and have money. (That's assuming their college education will provide them a decent income!). The same argument can not be said for giving seniors a discounted pass.

I'm sure there are many other factors too. Maybe the seniors spend more in restaurants? How many of the college students end up bringing friends that pay full price for a day pass? Etc.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boarder2020 wrote:
Get them hooked by giving them a cheap rate, then profit when they are addicted

FIFY Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Thornyhill, good business model, I think you've cracked it Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boarder2020 wrote:
I'm sure there are many other factors too. Maybe the seniors spend more in restaurants? How many of the college students end up bringing friends that pay full price for a day pass? Etc.

The point being, nobody in their right (financial) mind would just pay the full walk-up price at the ticket window. There're sooooo many different kind of discounts: for children, for seniors, for colleges, or simply for those who have the free time to ski mid-week!

As for the economic of senior discounts, have you forgotten grandchildren?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
10% off here, can't wait.........
Mind you, was touring with a 74 yo Swede this season and he took great pleasure in getting his free day pass when we all had to pay for our "Randonée" passes, which were admittedly less than half price!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
They offer free lift tickets in the 3 Valleys, France, for over 75s.

We hope to make use of the offer in 20 years time! wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
The point being, nobody in their right (financial) mind would just pay the full walk-up price at the ticket window

I completely agree. Although people do. I see people buying them even at 10 or 11am, I mean at least if you're paying full price get first lift to make the most of it. It's the people that ski the most that realise there are so many discounts (plus have ski friends to buddy tickets). For someone looking at skiing for the first time they probably check the official resort site and see the full price and just assume that's the going rate.
snow conditions
Bergmeister wrote:
They offer free lift tickets in the 3 Valleys, France, for over 75s.

We hope to make use of the offer in 20 years time! wink

But the age criteria for free, or reduced price, passes have slowly been creeping up, as more and more older people continue to ski. In 20 years time it will probably only be free for over-85s! Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy