Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Fasching

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I'm slightly confused and I'm hoping you can help. I'm planning a long weekend to Ski-Welt/Kitzbuhel area 28th Feb-3rd March, this doesn't clash with UK holidays and I didn't think it clashed with Austrian or German ones either. I have read the following week is Fasching but I can't tell if German and Austrian schools are off for a week, which would impact on the Saturday night at the end of my planned dates. Does anyone on here know how it works?
Many thanks in advance
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My understanding is that Fasching doesn't always clash with school holidays and I don't believe it does on this occasion. Anyroad up, it would only be a bit busier and shouldn't impact your trip.

But maybe ask on this thread.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@grumpygargoyle, It'll be really packed, kids everywhere its a holiday. Best avoided in view of prices rise and also very busy. Go 2 weeks after is my advice but if its only one night its not a biggy is it?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Anyroad up, it would only be a bit busier and shouldn't impact your trip.

Very much not my experience of going to Zell am See during Fasching a few years ago. 2h queue just to get up the mountain. I'm sure it's very much dependent on combinations of factors and resort but I'd never again book to go to Austria during Fasching without first seeking local advice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gämsbock, +1.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the replies, they kind of embody the mixed messages, I might try dropping the tourist office a line. I'd planned to book accommodation fairly late, as I don't need a week, and my real concern is getting somewhere on the Saturday If fasching means 1000s of families descending on the resorts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Gämsbock, but isn't @grumpygargoyle, talking about going the week BEFORE Fasching?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@holidayloverxx, Yes that's how I read it
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@holidayloverxx, oh I see, missed that. TBH I'd still ask for local advice. So I'd ask specifically on the Ski Welt thread.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@grumpygargoyle, school holidays here : https://www.schulferien.org/Schulferien_nach_Jahren/2019/schulferien_2019.html
Different states have holidays at different times, but it looks like 28.02-03.03 are almost clear, at least as far as German kids are concerned. Only Rheinland-Pfalz and Saarland to worry about.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks all, as you suggest I'll seek advice on the specific threads.

@Steilhang, thanks, that seems to match what I'd seen elsewhere. Seems to confirm that schools don't have fasching off.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@grumpygargoyle, Fasching 2019 is in the week of 04.03, not 28.02. So lots of states do have Faschingsferien, mainly the Catholic states that is.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Steilhang, thanks. I don't think I've been clear, sorry. Because I'm doing a long weekend I need to be able to book a few nights which includes the Saturday of fasching week, that is if they do indeed have a week off. I'm wondering would Fasching make it hard for me to get a hotel room on 3Rd March because hotels would more easily fill a week from the Saturday (I appreciate ski hotels generally want week long bookings but in non-holiday weeks it's easier)

Thanks again
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@grumpygargoyle, yes it will be harder to find accommodation for just the Saturday before Fasching. Fasching is a very popular week and most hotels aim to book Saturday to Saturday (as that is what most guests want). So not impossible, but likely to be harder and more expensive than usual.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks @nozawaonsen, that's what I'd feared.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy