Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OH Wants To Learn

Poster: A snowHead
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
@dp, You've not really focused on the "Do a standard Brit TO Chalet Hol" option - that would take care of catering and if you choose a chalet of say 16-20 people, outside of school hols, chances are you'd both find others to ski with outside of lessons if you so choose.

Valid, I just think we're both about as far from "standard Brit TO chalet" kind of people as you can really get. Every time I've done a chalet trip I've wanted to strangle a number of overly uptight, middle class, closet-racist closet-sexist yuppy Brexit voters just for being alive.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The arguments against Les Houches (in my head) are - not much else to do locally if not skiing (posh hotel spas notwithstanding) - and would you not get bored? esp. if RV-ing at lunch time?

Might also be worth looking at Austria.

Thinking about it, Champoluc might also work (XC, walking, spa). Check out www.ski2.co.uk for full service outfit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
under a new name wrote:
The arguments against Les Houches (in my head) are - not much else to do locally if not skiing (posh hotel spas notwithstanding) - and would you not get bored? esp. if RV-ing at lunch time?

Absolutely valid concerns. I think I can personally do 3 days in LH without getting bored - so if I was getting the mornings in Cham and perhaps a day elsewhere, it could probably work. Arguments in favour are really just that it's a pretty cheap place to stay, a pretty cheap place to ski, the mountain is well-suited to beginners, and it's good in all conditions.

Quote:

Might also be worth looking at Austria.

Thinking about it, Champoluc might also work (XC, walking, spa). Check out www.ski2.co.uk for full service outfit.

Will absolutely look at both. Obviously it's always just a bit easier going somewhere you already know.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dp, another option you haven’t listed is doing a cheap last minute deal. The first time I dragged my hubby skiing (he had previously been put off by going skiing on a school trip) was by a very cheap last minute deal with Inghams £199 per person flights, transfers and catered chalet (obviously this was a number of years ago!). If you can be flexible with when you go the off-peak weeks with only two of you, that approach is valid. If you agree you will do a week somewhere, prep work can still be done now / in the autumn.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NickyJ wrote:
@dp, another option you haven’t listed is doing a cheap last minute deal. The first time I dragged my hubby skiing (he had previously been put off by going skiing on a school trip) was by a very cheap last minute deal with Inghams £199 per person flights, transfers and catered chalet (obviously this was a number of years ago!). If you can be flexible with when you go the off-peak weeks with only two of you, that approach is valid. If you agree you will do a week somewhere, prep work can still be done now / in the autumn.

This +1

Book the time off, and closer to the time search for last minute deals.

If none are available, then have a standby resort in your back pocket.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another big advantage to waiting till the last minute is that you can wait and see where the snow has fallen.
Pretty good both for ensuring decent skiing and decent snowy surroundings.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The first time I took my now ex wife skiing, we booked 3 weeks off work & drove down to our friends apartment in Andorra, with the rough plan that she would learn to ski the first week, enjoy getting around the mountain the 2nd week and we would spend the 3rd week seeing a bit of France and visiting people on the way home.
We ended up leaving the ski resort on the last day of the 3rd week!

Echoing other advice,
Do the beginners course int' fridge, sooner rather than later, she might enjoy the fridge and want to go a few times before going away.
Group lessons on the mountain, they are cheap & social. A lot depends on the others in the group, your GFs personality and weather conditions. My ex loved the social aspect of group lessons.
Choice of accommodation and resort, if you are serious about this girl and want her to get into skiing, FORGET about the skiing YOU want on her first trip, it's one trip out of dozens of past & future trips. See how she gets on in the fridge then decide.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Worth emphasizing that now's probably the best time to start at chillfactore. I went Sat mid-morning (so primetime) a couple of weeks ago and even though 1/2 the slope was closed for racing it wasn't too busy on what was left.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@NickyJ, @Mike Pow, only potential problem with late booking that is flight availability and cost (resort availability I think a bit less of an issue).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dp wrote:
@dp, You've not really focused on the "Do a standard Brit TO Chalet Hol" option - that would take care of catering and if you choose a chalet of say 16-20 people, outside of school hols, chances are you'd both find others to ski with outside of lessons if you so choose.

Valid, I just think we're both about as far from "standard Brit TO chalet" kind of people as you can really get. Every time I've done a chalet trip I've wanted to strangle a number of overly uptight, middle class, closet-racist closet-sexist yuppy Brexit voters just for being alive.

I've just found my new best friend
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Jonny996, @dp
Quote:

dp wrote:

I've just found my new best friend

Is there really such a thing as a 'standard Brit TO chalet'? Or are we getting into caricatured stereotypes here? I've found chalets (+ chalethotels) and the people who use them about as varied as you can get. Accepting that people need to be affluent enough to afford to ski in the first place.

Ruling out that whole type of accommodation certainly closes down a lot of potential options which, as @Dave of the Marmottes pointed out, tick several of your boxes, but that's your choice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@NickyJ, @Mike Pow, only potential problem with late booking that is flight availability and cost (resort availability I think a bit less of an issue).

Yes this is best for purchasing a package deal.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NickyJ wrote:
under a new name wrote:

Yes this is best for purchasing a package deal.

The late booking deals that include flight & transfer are usually the best deals, many "bargains" soon disappear once the cost of flight & transfer are added.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just an out the box thought: has the OP considered a Lapland (probably Finland but Sweden or Norway also) trip? TOs do until early Feb at least. A really different ski & snow experience, lots of short easy runs often, very non busy, excellent tuition often 1:1 even if you book group lessons, and a lot of other activities available to do if you/she doesn't want to ski all the time. Sauna in every accommodation, cosy romantic log cabins, Northern Lights spotting, cute reindeer...
OK doesn't solve the OP's desire to ski with others whilst his OH is being instructed, and it's not high alpine (which also takes out any new to altitude issues) but there are other advantages. Most resorts also gave some challenging runs and features parks, tree or OP runs as well.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Obergurgl is a good spot for learning with a non-skier as they do lessons both morning and afternoon but the instructors always come back to town for lunch so you can spends some time with your OH over a nice leisurely lunch. You can then ski alone or with anyone else you meet up with while she is in lessons. The resort is small enough you can easily ski from Obergurgl to the far side of Hochgurgl in the morning and ski back to meet her by lunchtime. At the end of the day take her to the Nederhut, let her fill up on Austrian Beer, Schnapps and dancing on the tables, and let the snowmobile take her back down to town safely afterwards and I'm sure she will soon be a fan of skiing and the apres-ski to accompany it.

It worked for me anyway. I'd been skiing for 15 years before the first ski trip with my wife (and then 4 yr old son). They are both still keen now, 10 years later, only problem is my son can now ski as fast as me and soon will be much better I'm sure.
ski holidays
@dp,
Quote:

I don't think Livigno has to be the place, so long as quality instruction can be sourced.

One place which includes VG quality instruction IME in Megeve. Also excellent food and chalet stereotypes. More like £900-£950pp late Jan or early March. Possibly worth the extra, given the first ski trip can be make or break.
I know where I'd rather be as a beginner, vs Livigno or Tignes. EMB not bad skiing for you either. Lift pass relatively good value.
snow report
This thing about first ski holidays having to be in some way special..I disagree. You either take to it or you don't IMHO.

I booked a learn to ski week with a friend at St Wolfgang in March because everything was included and I didn't have a clue.

There was one nursery slope in the village they had managed to keep open everything else was green. Experienced partners were bussed off to Postalm every day.

Everyone had a blast. All day lessons with instructor making things interesting with little jumps and practising for the race.

Everyone in the lessons got in well, had lots to tell their partners at apres and then we all ate together in the hotel.

I had holidays afterwards with MrHL. There were times when i was in a picture perfect resort in a lovely hotel and still skied l like a numpty and cried all week. the surroundings didnt help at all. I still wanted to go back and improve
ski holidays
Lessons are an obvious given. Help with the gear and accompany her to her first few lessons when she has met up with her fellow learners leave her with a big kiss and "I hope you have lots of fun" and then go off to do your thing. Meet up at lovely restaurants for lunch at least every other day. Choose a resort with a good spa/pool and other activities. Ski with her from time to time on runs she has done during her lessons. Praise her on her progress. Have wonderful evenings with nice wine and in pleasant company. Generally pamper her as you lead her towards the joys of proficiency on the slopes. Follow this advice and she will fall in love with you all over again..
latest report
@NickyJ, don’t understand?

My point being that late availability deals are usually only when the TO has committed availability (flights, contracted accommodation), that they want rid of. I.e. say a TUI brand operating a plane with empty seats or who have had to contract to a certain number of not high season bed weeks to get hotels they want for high season.

Flights usually (certainly used to be) the choke point and my guess would be that they’d maybe have “owned flight” capacity for 30-40% of the hotel bed weeks they have “options” on.

Once those flights have gone, there won’t be any very good late deals as they don’t have uncovered fixed costs.

If that makes any sense?
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
@NickyJ, don’t understand?

My point being that late availability deals are usually only when the TO has committed availability (flights, contracted accommodation), that they want rid of. I.e. say a TUI brand operating a plane with empty seats or who have had to contract to a certain number of not high season bed weeks to get hotels they want for high season.

Flights usually (certainly used to be) the choke point and my guess would be that they’d maybe have “owned flight” capacity for 30-40% of the hotel bed weeks they have “options” on.

Once those flights have gone, there won’t be any very good late deals as they don’t have uncovered fixed costs.

If that makes any sense?

The late package deal is normally a package of flight, transfer, accommodation, possibly meals
latest report
Yes but if you've ever monitored late late deals there will be lots of resorts and accomodations available which will suddenly disappear all at once. They haven't all been sold just the last few seats on the flights serving them sold.
snow report
What has the lady herself said about the sort of holiday she'd like? That'd be a good starting point.
snow conditions
Yes but if you've ever monitored late late deals there will be lots of resorts and accomodations available which will suddenly disappear all at once. They haven't all been sold just the last few seats on the flights serving them sold.

Yes which is why is said... if you can be flexible with when you go and if you can go off peak. Used to do last minute deals a lot when it was just the two off us. Would start looking end of November and snapped up what I liked the look of. Often ended up going week before Christmas’s quite a number of times sometimes the first couple of non New year January weeks, other years April.

Now we have kids and stuck to school holidays and different tactics work best.
snow conditions
We picked up TUI flights, Saturday from convenient regional airports to GVA and CMF for about £90pp return, last Feb and March.

Then we added bags, skis and return resort transfers, which took it up to about £190pp.

Then were in a position to choose from many accomm & board deals at about half standard price. For example, La Tania, mid March, excellent chalet in a great snow condition week topped out at less than £600 for travel, accomm, food, equipment rental.

Fairly typical of our experiences over last 25 years. Some years and some weeks a bit tighter than others. Always got something decent though.

Takes research, bit of work and last minute nerve, that’s all.
ski holidays
...meant to say, flights booked only 2 or 3 days before departure. Early Feb and mid March. Good times of season.
latest report
We picked up TUI flights, Saturday from convenient regional airports to GVA and CMF for about £90pp return, last Feb and March.

Then we added bags, skis and return resort transfers, which took it up to about £190pp.

Then were in a position to choose from many accomm & board deals at about half standard price. For example, La Tania, mid March, excellent chalet in a great snow condition week topped out at less than £600 for travel, accomm, food, equipment rental.

Fairly typical of our experiences over last 25 years. Some years and some weeks a bit tighter than others. Always got something decent though.

Takes research, bit of work and last minute nerve, that’s all.
snow report
Very last minute deals could make it difficult - or impossible - to book high quality, small group, lessons.
latest report
@dp, Get her to join Snowheads then point hear at your first post. Erm she wants to learn but where to go so I can dump her on someone so I can go hard skiing. Happy

M8, you are in deep shite and going to get nowt for ages. Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@dp, Seriously, Go to the fridge for group lessons. But what I would do is go now (while it is cheap) and get her a nice set of comfortable boots suitable for a complete beginner. I found that when I took my first lessons the hire-boots were so bad it was like skiing in wellies. Then I bough myself a pair of cheap boots that were better. After I'd progressed I then sold them on eBay and only lost £30 and bought a set to really progress. I'm not saying the two sets of boots thing is essential, just that a cheap pair of decent boots is better than the hire-boots.

Then come on the Birthday bash. Benefit is it has a pool to relax in and you can spend some days together and some apart.

Downside is it may be a bit steep in and out of Arabba but I'm sure she will enjoy the progression. The other alternative is go to AltaBadia at the same time as the bash then every day will be easy in and out but you could meet up with SH's as well.

Then after the bash spend a few days in Venice to tell her how amazing she was and how you want to ski all the time with her.
latest report
Personally I don't think Arabba is a good place for a beginner.
snow report
@pam w, I tend to agree but think it is better than Tignes for a beginner.
The suggestion to be based in a nearby easier resort in the Dolomites has plenty advantages I think. I thought Corvara/Colfosco looked great for beginners and earlier intermediates. It was more sunny and open too.
ski holidays
PeakyB wrote:
@pam wI thought Corvara/Colfosco looked great for beginners and earlier intermediates. It was more sunny and open too.

Definitely
snow report
Yes. Tignes is better for a beginner than Arabba in my view. Lots more progression. But Corvara good. And coffee cheaper and better.
snow conditions
@pam w, Tignes in early to mid December (PSB) compared with Arabba early Feb (BB)?
ski holidays
You can say it all you like but there is literally no scope for learning to ski in a fridge and then coming to ski in resort without lessons. It is just not going to happen.

I am not being a dick about it but honestly, it's the smart approach for people who really want to ski for skiing's sake. For all of us, where a ski holiday is about love of skiing, it makes total sense to learn what you can in a fridge then develop in the mountains. For somebody who wants to ski for a holiday's sake, spending hour upon hour inside a freezing cold warehouse on an industrial estate in Manchester then going on a week's holiday is simply less appealing than just doing the holiday.

I am not turning my nose up to good advice, but can people please just get to grips with the fact that she will not be learning to ski in a snow dome, beyond mastering the basics so that (a) she knows she likes it a bit, and (b) time spent in resort is spent skiing, not learning to stand up. If she really enjoys the snow dome and wants to go back for more lessons then nobody will be more pleased than me, but I can't formulate a plan using it as an assumption.
latest report
Strategically, I'd say organise the trip as two entirely separate holidays, but with you both sharing the time after you've finished your day's skiing. Group Lesson for her in the morning. Don't plan to join-up for lunch, or to finish at the same time. She goes into her group lessons, and you go wherever you want. Spa and or swimming facilities for her in the afternoon means she can relax after what is for most learners a tiring and often exhausting session. If it turns out you do actually meet-up at lunch, or after an afternoon break, then it's a bonus. So look for somewhere with plenty for her to do after lessons.

In recent years, I've done a number of holidays with relatives where someone is not even a skier and we've done snowshoeing. Turned out to be more enjoyable than I expected and a pleasant alternative for me, especially on a poor weather day. So perhaps also look for somewhere with good snowshoe routes as well.
snow report
@dp, how old and unfit is Mrs DP. I am asking because there are so many suggestions that all day lessons are too tiring. I am baffled by that assertion...as you know theres a lot if standing around in group lessons. Even if they are tiring anyone under 50 with reasonable fitness should be able to cope with all day lessons...which in reality are only 4 or 5 hours with a break for lunch.
ski holidays
@dp, you make a valid point about being stuck in a soul-less fridge (you forgot the crap blaring music) which doesn't IMHO really mimic true outdoor conditions anyway, and is too darn short to allow you really to get going in a rhythm before having to stop again. Great for learning the basics and making sure that you can stand up, get up again and cope with approaching a lift.
So after that? I don't know. The only thing I'll say is that everything seems predicated on the Lady having lessons every day, group most likely. Is this what she wants? Does she like the idea of lessons, does she play well with others? Or does she want just to pootle around armed with the basics and watch, try out and learn on her own and in her own way; maybe throw in a private lesson or 2? Is she expecting to spend her on-snow time 100% with you or is she expecting that she's more on her own or with other people, at least during the on-snow time? If she's happy with lessons every morning, etc (and can get up in time for them!) then fine, and everything else can follow from there. But if not...???
I speak from Mr G having been encouraged to take up snow sports, learning his basic boarding at a dry slope and then expecting me patiently to accompany him ( me at the time a non-boarder: but I've got my payback since) on many, many fall down, get up, slowly get better and better trips (whilst I also got better too) until we're both at about the same overall level. I know that boarding's a bit different but, fundamentally, he just isn't a lessons/instruction person and didn't want to clog up his on-snow, with me, having fun, expensive holiday time with hours of structured learning. But, hey, we had many enjoyable holidays.
Just sayin'.
latest report
@dp, perhaps once you’ve decided your ‘possible options’ and which suggestions (other than Fridge Overkill) that you don’t fancy, you could summarise?
Then SHs could offer more specific suggestions, if still wanted by then?
snow report
And maybe ask the OH to put in some ideas too. Perhaps after reading the thread. You have presumably discussed the holiday?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy