Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2018/2019-and useful links

Poster: A snowHead
Spring ski tour? or was this todays conditions?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Markhandford, it was today, we’ve got spring-like conditions at the mo, just without the depth!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice tour. It was lovely to share some turns with you gents.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mmmmmm bad news; latest forecasts for weekend onwards have changed and looks like we're now missing out compared to over the Lautaret and Aosta way Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another opening day as it were, and we'd sort of mentally prepared to go off the back from Prorel and ski some Spring snow, however once going up the CDB became obvious that maybe there was some powder about, et Bingo Cool

http://youtube.com/v/v_5LcoFR08M&feature=youtu.be
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yup, it was pretty much good everywhere yesterday, surprisingly nice under the fresh snow, was expecting re-frozen chopped-up crud under the 10cm of fresh snow, but was pleasantly surprised, just as well as I was on my slalom skis Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Feckin howling out there today, and that's in the valley!

Top of Eychauda and Clot Gauthier look distinctly unpleasant at times.

And looks set to continue for a good few days Mad

Might be time to set the bike up in the garage me thinks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam wrote:
Feckin howling out there today, and that's in the valley!

Top of Eychauda and Clot Gauthier look distinctly unpleasant at times.

And looks set to continue for a good few days Mad

Might be time to set the bike up in the garage me thinks

Fair weather Charlie Very Happy Thought Siberia would have toughened you up?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Not a breath of wind here.........?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@KenX, look up on the peaks.

@BobinCH, don't mind cold, but crazy winds no good to man nor beast Toofy Grin

Looking at radar on t'laptop and then actually up the valley towards Lautaret / Galibier and Monetier is just about on the border of the weather.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Weathercam, was up round lunchtime with LynnX, it was breezy, but not windy as such.....
Felt way colder than the thermometer suggested and pistes were rock-hard in the shade.........
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@KenX, yes wind did seem to ease around lunchtime and I was almost tempted to go up and take a look, but decided on setting up the torture chamber and that took a good hour plus of tech mares, which I knew I'd be in for, but all sorted.

snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
17:15 Sunday - down in the valley it's not as bonkers as further up.

Earlier we drove the 10km down to Briancon (1,200m) for their Xmas market.

We left La Salle (1,400m) and temps were 4℃ and not that windy, down in Briancon was calm almost mild 7℃ as we were well wrapped up.

Driving back said to the OH shall we drive up to the Col du Lautaret.

A km past our turning wind was kicking in, by Monetier 1,500m and 3℃ and light snow, another 3km and 100m snow laying in the road and at 1,700 bonkers windy/blizzard conditions (vid below), and the sensible option was to turn round!

http://youtube.com/v/Ts6l8RPPQLI

So was back in the torture chamber again.

Think it's grim again tomorrow.

Then Tuesday onwards will be a challenge to work out how to make the most of the conditions and/or road trip Puzzled
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, We are thinking of visiting Serre (Chantemerle) for one week from sat Dec 15 next. That will be the first full week of the season. Wondering how normally the first week of the season is in terms of opening lifts en pistes. If snow cover allows do they open all, or will it be a slow start with 50% open.

It looks like until next Saturday not much snow will fall. With the actual conditions what would be the forecast regarding open pistes en lifts?

P.S. Sorry for my English. Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Japie, they will open a fair number of lifts, certainly more than last weekend, plus Monetier as well.

But there again don't hold me to it as there is often no logic as to what actually happens.

We've had around ten to 15 cms in the valley overnight, see cam in our garden
http://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html though very very windy in the valley, might well be another day indoors.
latest report
Couldn't face another session in the garage on the turbo and even though it was very windy thought that maybe skinning up the Casse du Boeuf might not be too windy and I could see from here some decent tracks.

A good 15-20cm of fresh snow and where the Marteau joins the Casse the powder was very good indeed.

I was joined by a French couple and the woman was very strong indeed, and her partner agreed with my observation, but hey they were both youngsters in their early fifties Laughing

I did let them go pass so the snow was beaten down for Les Chiens who had given up chasing all the over the mountain and were quite content to follow in our tracks.

I can also confirm that the Pres du Bois drag is no more, as I finally clocked it was no longer there (was there in the late summer), though having been up there a number of times already but I was not actually looking out for it Crying or Very sad

The powder was really good all the way down to the Marteau and thereafter it was still not too bad.

All in all a good decision to go out today!

Though am a tad knackered having climbed nigh on 900m in just over an hour and a half moving time!

http://youtube.com/v/yEIrhniRTEw
ski holidays
@Weathercam, Thanks for the info. I just booked and could make use of the "opening Deal"; day pass € 15,=! Very Happy
snow report
@Weathercam, Gav, have to say your dogs are so entertaining. Even with mowhawks!
ski holidays
Today we headed to Monetier, again hoping that the between the trees on the piste would not be too wind affected.

We were heading for the secret piste, in that it's never pisted, and sort of runs parallel with the drag and slalom pistes, though as we were climbing up past the Peyra Juana we began to think that maybe they had bashed it!

However, we were relieved to see that indeed it was not and looked totally untracked.

We skinned up the slalom piste as that was bashed and headed to the top of Bachas where we had a little break before the descent.

We started off in the trees and the snowpack was varied, to say the least.

But as you can see from the video we did find some nice snow Cool

All looks good for the opening weekend with good snow cover, bearing in mind we were only at mid-level, though the off-piste did look very wind affected but we were looking at the windward faces as it were.

I might skin up Montagnolle tomorrow to take a look.

As ever dogs lurved it Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/zizfTyI9Bk0

And being honest the piste below Peyra Juana was so hard and icy we all found it hard going with all our various aches and pains accentuated by the vibrations but sometimes you have to ski the shite after the good rolling eyes
ski holidays
So the valley is slowly gearing up for the coming season.

The seasonal Sherpas are opening up and a few bars and restaurants are now open, more for the seasonal workers who have now arrived preparing accommodation etc for the coming weekend as the resort and lifts open full time.

My neighbour has been going to work every day for the past five or six weeks as she gets her shop ready (Brechu), though always surprises me it takes that long.

There was a big deal on the ski pass for the weekend for those that bought early at €15
https://www.serre-chevalier.com/hiver/skipass-le-deal/

And the weather looks interesting in that predicted snow keeps coming and going and currently Sunday into Monday could be quite good with a possible Retour Est on the cards Cool

Yesterday OH, Rando Chiens and I ski toured some new terrain, sort of above Le Casset is all I'm at liberty to say, and after a really tough climb with nigh on 37 kick turns then had to find the start of the line through a bit of a rock garden, and as you can see from the vid it was pretty good.

http://youtube.com/v/IDYYipuZVv8
snow report
Weathercam wrote:

My neighbour has been going to work every day for the past five or six weeks as she gets her shop ready (Brechu), though always surprises me it takes that long.

Not surprised, when I worked in a ski shop, I'd easily spend that long unpacking hundreds of boxes of skis, boots and bindings, and maybe mounting a couple of hundred of sets of skis and bindings for rental, bear in mind back then all the skis were flat and had to be drilled and screwed! Loved it though when the boss said "take a few pairs up the glacier (Zermatt) and test them would you?" Some of the best untracked snow of the year in November Very Happy
snow report
@Weathercam, some nice fresh snow would be a great welcome to Monetier on Saturday.

Any hints on good lunch stops would also be welcome Very Happy

You never know we might cross tracks - keep an eye out for a kid with 15 SnowHeads stickers on his helmet and the rest of us trying to keep up!
latest report
@jd_evans, Peyra Juana towards bottom or Rochamout piste (Monetier). Small rustic hut, long communal tables. Great (and huge) plat du jour.
snow report
@jd_evans, also Pi Mai near the bottom of the Vallons chair, Echaillon under the new Cote Chevalier chair and Chalet Hôtel de Serre Ratier as well as Chazelet bottom of Casse du Boeuf if skiing away from Monetier.

And then Chalet Serre Blanc just above Rocher Blanc chair, Prorel sector.

And maybe possibly the best restaurant in the valley for haute cuisine, though evenings only and Sunday lunchtime, La Table du Chazal in Les Guibertes, just down from Monetier.

Snow cannons doing their thing as temps this morning 11.6 - minus that is.

I'm going on a long hike up to the Cucumelle this morning with the dogs as last chance on closed pistes etc

And hot off the Press - opening night tonight of the new Frog - now L'Equilibre
latest report
@Weathercam, I saw the photos on FB yesterday, looks great.
latest report
@Hells Bells, @Weathercam, thanks for those suggestions.

Let me know if you'd like to meet up some day. I think we've met in the EoSB last year.

Cheers.
snow report
Nigh on minus 15 this morning at 08:00

This time tomorrow could well be raining in the valley Crying or Very sad

And snowing up top Very Happy
snow report
Third cabin up from Frejus only to get up there and no drags open.

Had to wait five mins or so which was just as well as OH's binding was a tad frozen.

We did a couple of descents off the Cretes and out in the open the powder was very sketchy so next time we stuck to the forest and just maybe we should have stuck to that.

That said pistes were in great condition and so empty for the first hour or so.

We then went up Vallons and did a long traverse and then scored questionably "powder".

Next time we did the ridge hike I did yesterday and even with wider skis snow was still sketchy.

We then took the new Cote Chevalier chair and went to ski lines we did last weekend but fifty or so ESF, instructors were also there, so we traversed further and in fact, the best snow of the day was in your gulley@KenX.

We then went up Clot Gauthier and scored some more sketchy powder across where the double drags are, as they were closed and the pistes had a mixture of fresh and windblown. Should add that the lines straight under the Gauthier chair had hardly been skied as the snowpack was so bad!

The plan was to take the new chair up but we arrived to find a massive queue as the lift had obviously not been working for a while!

So we skied back down past Pointless (closed) and they had not pisted the run back to Chazelet so that was amusing with the massive mounds of snow canon snow.

Should add that late afternoon and looks like tomorrows weather is rolling in.

And little vid, amazing how you can make bad snow look good Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/SrWKQfn9X30

Then as an aside as we were getting on the Clot chair I spotted this guy wearing "Team Madagascar" jacket and surmised to the other half humorously that it was probably all of the Madagascar Ski Team.

At the top I asked him and he explained that he was the coach (born in Serre Che) and the girl with him was Mia Clerc who raced for Madagascar* at the last Olympics in all disciplines and ranks top 50.

We then explained our relationship with Mada and how my OH is Editor in Chief of Prime Magazine the in-flight magazine of Air Mada, which she was featured in July of this year.

And jeeeess did they come flying past us.

She competes in the World Cup next week in Courchevel.

* born in Mada adopted by a French family and been skiing in France since she was 5
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Apparently the powder was amazing in the trees on the Prorel side if the reports from the snowboard massive are anything to go by......
ski holidays
@KenX, like I predicted last evening, the words "epic" and "awesome" were always going to be used no matter what Laughing

But for sure trees were the best place to be though coverage is getting very limited even down to 2,000 for instance down to the old Pres du Bois drag etc

And snow-pack state for sure is better for boards at the moment.

But roll on tomorrow's weather Cool
snow conditions
Just under 30cm overnight - not a lot open at the moment, decisions as to where to go?

Snowplough just been and has peppered the garden and birdtable and our windows spraying snow from the our parking below, was a rush to close the shutters and then race down and tell him the snow was splattering our windows.

Cam in the garden
https://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
snow conditions
Loads open now according to the interactive map, get up there!
latest report
Looking good. Can’t wait to get there in February Very Happy

Any suggestions for ski hire in Briancon?
snow report
Intersport appear to be offering 50% off online.......
ski holidays
KenX wrote:
Intersport appear to be offering 50% off online.......

Thanks. I’ve generally had good service and skis with Intersport in the past so will probably go with them.
ski holidays
@Raven, https://www.intersport-rent.fr/en/rent/page/station.aspx?partenaire=524&idCodePromotion=11579&utm=
snow conditions
Example, from €59/6 days, skis and boots:

https://www.intersport-rent.fr/en/rent/page/pack.aspx
ski holidays
A classic Serre Che couple of hours post snowfall.

Clouds and viz rolling in so best to stay in the trees.

Vallons was shut so stayed in our sector doing laps off the Cretes and a few runs elsewhere.

Hardly anyone around, but locals managing to ski a lot of lines.

Hopefully more snow later though as yet just cloud, tomorrow might be interesting Cool

snow conditions
@Weathercam,
ski holidays
@KenX, sorry mate Sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy