Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Snow Report 2018/2019-and useful links

Poster: A snowHead
Great, thanks @weathercam. We’re staying at the Plein Sud, sounds a good spot to land too.
Really appreciate your other tips.

Paul
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A great first day on the piste yesterday after a few false starts with the rental gear. My skis too long and Mrs R's boots just not right(she will have her own next time). Although that did enable us to ski a beautifully cordutoy pisted Marteau....twice. Pistes holding up well in the morninh with the overnight freeze but do cut up by late afternoon. But when oh when did skiing become a bloodsport? Several tines yesteday I felt for my life with nutters skiing...... well .....nutterly
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh well last post on the Serre thread till around March 9th as we're getting out of Dodge, off on another road trip, this time a little further afield Cool

Been looking at what might be happening for here up to the end of the month and into the first week of March, the good news is that there seems to be some change in the weather the first week of March, but it's so far out that you just can't rely on these ensembles, all you can do is keep checking nearer the time and see if other forecast models are also showing the unsettled weather, even then it can all change even a couple of days before, however it can also change for the better!

By the end of the week, the freezing level goes way above 3,000m and that does not help conditions that you need for spring snow/corn.

This morning we went looking for Spring snow, and ended up skiing unexpected untracked cold snow on North facing slopes above the Lautaret Cool

http://youtube.com/v/NYJzTlXzzfk
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello,
I’ve just booked Club Med at Serre Chevalier for the 17th March. It will be our first venture into all-inclusive hotels as we normally stay in Chalets, so we’re still a little apprehensive as to what to expect.
I’ve been looking at the piste map and it appears the Pontillas Gondola is the closest to the hotel but does anyone know if you can get to other higher lifts from the top or do you have to ski back down to Villeneuve or get a bus over to other lifts?
Thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SteveSearle, that's why we refer to Pontillas as Pointless, especially as they took the connecting lift out which you took from Pontiallas to the Frejus sector.

Your option is to ski down to Pointless from CM and take that up and then ski down to Casse du Boeuf chair or Frejus gondola, or CM provide buses to Frejus Gondola / Casse chair.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And just a little more about the weather.............

From Maison de la météo et du climat des Alpes du sud

Dingue !!!! La situation est complètement bloquée. On n'arrive toujours pas à voir la fin de cette période anticyclonique. Ce matin les modèles maintiennent ces hautes pressions au moins jusqu'à la première semaine de mars. Cette semaine, les températures baissent légèrement, la journée la moins chaude c'est pour mercredi. Mais dès jeudi et vendredi le mercure repartira à la hausse et le week-end prochain s'annonce toujours trop doux, 6 à 8° au-dessus des normales en montagne.

Crazy!!!! The situation is completely blocked. We still can't see the end of this anticyclonic period. This morning the models maintain these high pressures at least until the first week of March. This week, temperatures fall slightly, the least hot day is for Wednesday. But on Thursday and Friday the mercury will go up and next weekend is always too sweet, 6 TO 8° above the normal in mountain.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Observed the minutes silence at the top of the Valons lift today. Was gobsmacked that a family of 4 french were noisy than a noisy thing and didnt even notice that everyone else was silent and all lifts stopped and no one skiing!! Skied past a nasty accident in the trees on the Route d'Aravet. Young boy seemed very unconscious with 2 ESF in attendance. Saw the blood wagon come down very gingerly 45mins later so hopefully all ok. Be safe out there peeps.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@paulmags, I can confirm that the Peyra Juana is indeed worth a vistit. The plat du jour was mahoosive. And a great spot too.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@RetroBod, I have been known to share a plat du jour if I am there with another lady friend, and we can't manage a whole one. I quite often just get a plate of cheese.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hells Bells, we were too scared to share! Falling asleep on The New Cote Chevalier or was that the wine.....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Last dsy Sad and it was a blast. An unexpected freeze over night gave us piste conditions as good as they've been all week. Love you Serre Che x
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just finished a 4 day blast with daughter, husband and two grandchildren. I feared the worst on what should be one of the busiest weeks of the season but instead we found manageable orderly queues and slopes that were in terrific shape especially in the mornings. We saw a few accident scenes but not many out of control kamikaze artists. Strategy was first lifts up, ski for the morning and finish early. So, helped of course by the unseasonal weather, Serre Che delivered. I can confidently report that a love of skiing and the mountains has been successfully passed on to the next generation Very Happy .

Today it was back to touring and a delightful outing to the Col de Trois Freres Mineurs above Montgenevre with KenX. Spring conditions are not there quite yet but soon will be if the weather continues.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Big thanks @retrobod and @hells bells for the Peyra Juana tips. Sounds scrummy and look forward to enjoying it. Yum !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
https://www.ledauphine.com/hautes-alpes/2019/03/01/un-skieur-de-randonnee-tue-dans-une-avalanche-un-guide-blesse

RIP a 61 year old skier from Jersey. Unlucky it seems, trauma from collision with trees in the avalanche that originated above the party. Avi risk was 1 out of 5 today.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Skevinski, Sad RIP
ski holidays
Can someone put my mind to rest that there will still be something to ski on next week (beginning 9th March) even if it rains a load lower down this week?

I've been skiing before on thin strips of snow between brown hills when it was 20+ degrees c and even that was fine so probably being paranoid, but never been away when it has been raining.
ski holidays
@ManiaMuse, Your mind can be put to rest....and with a bit of luck (cos the forecast keeps changing) you may have a lot more snow than there is currently...
ski holidays
@ManiaMuse, I'm out the same week, so will join you on prayers for the weather conditions!

We'll be staying in Le Bez. Any recommendations for ski rental shops? We're intermediates who will try most pistes, but don't venture off piste. We don't need top notch gear, but somewhere where they'll give us time and attention to get the right skis and boots and not just try and get us in and out as quickly as possible.
ski holidays
Please leave all fridge and freezer doors wide open, we are there on the 20th. snowHead
snow conditions
@suggul, Sorry can't help there. We're in Briancon and have our own gear. Someone else might be able to help. Also worth remembering that you might get a better price by booking in advance on line.
latest report
@suggul, a friend, Fred runs a low key rental shop that will suit your needs, not too far from Le Bez, about the closest you can get and in the main commercial centre.

Tell him Gavin sent you.

Ski Fun two door along from the Sherpa Super Market underneath the souvenir shop which he also runs.

Zoom in on the image the link below gives you.

https://goo.gl/maps/Gzfn6trDLvM2

And if staying in Le Bez be sure to go to the Cavaillou.
latest report
@Weathercam, that sounds perfect. Thank you, that's where I'll head.
snow report
Currently, rain in the valley according to the little vid just sent to me by our dog sitter, plus you can see it on our cam in the garden https://stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html
maybe some snow atop Mad

We're back in the valley tomorrow evening.

Currently at sea level and have had the best night's sleep in ages even with getting over 7hr lag, must have been the altitude in Colorado affecting sleep !
latest report
Raining down in the valley, but around 15cm fresh snow from around 1600m upward......
Did this about 3 times this morning amongst all the usual stashes:

IMG_0408
snow report
@KenX, Very nice indeed.
snow report
Really good snow above around 1700, below you'll start to find it a bit heavy and crusty. Stick to North/North-East exposed faces and you'll find light fluffy powder up to 25-30cm deep in the windswept pockets.

Got the last hike up and run down around 17:15-17:45, started to feel like things were icing up already. Next couple of days could require a more creative route finding to get anything decent, but I sense Serre Chevalier has so much more to offer.

Pistes are in great condition, expect spring conditions especially below say 1500 down.

Have to say Serre Chevalier is an excellent resort, very impressed. In fact, I think I might be falling for it.
latest report
Quote:

In fact, I think I might be falling for it.

There's some of us fell for it a long time ago, and keep going back again, and again and again.
snow conditions
I hope to go back next year. I loved it the only time I've been.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't get my head around why this resort isn't more famous. Is it the low altitude and tricky connections?
ski holidays
@LittleBullet, maybe next time take a tape measure and photo the 25-30cm Laughing

In anyone's language, that's knee deep and that's not what I was hearing from today, though at least you say "windswept pockets"!

And being pedantic, Spring conditions are far far different from heavy powder, you need at least two to three days of snow transformation for true Spring snow conditions!

And yes it's a great location, though unfortunately, we'll be fighting for our off-piste stashes next week with a bunch of interlopers NehNeh
ski holidays
@Weathercam, never caught a small fish myself tbh and yeah next week will involve another 50'ish interlopers
snow report
@dvb, I'll be setting the cheese wire up this weekend, and then people can say they skied thigh deep powder Laughing

Hopefully, we'll get fresh snow and they'll be enough for everyone, but I think skins will provide the advantage Cool
snow report
@Weathercam, we skin, we win
ski holidays
Back in Serre Che and forecast is forever changing for the coming week.

Light snow flurries Sunday but could well be rain in the valley, then temps drop from Monday, and currently Wed / Thurs looking the best days of the week and cold so snow in the valley, though wind could be an issue, no doubt will all change.

And then Saturday is looking interesting which might cause disruption on change over day.

And you can see how over the Col the snow is heavier, La Grave for instance.

So will be taking it one day at a time, though a few days off-ski me thinks, though might go and investigate Les Fonts Valley tomorrow as dogs are a bit tubby having not had a real work out for a couple of weeks!
ski holidays
Temps been well into double figs last two days, and as ever forecast keeps changing.

Today was meant to be light drizzle pretty well all day, though only saw the occasional drop of rain.

I was not going to bother but was eventually temped out by Team Viking who are out staying in LG for the next three weeks, and I thought would be good to take a look at the snow-pack as I've not been around for well over two weeks, and was semi-curious as the CAF scored some nice turns below the Crête de la Castille up from Pont de l'Alpe yesterday.

As I passed Monetier I saw some of the Italian Coaches that evidently had ferried over 1,200 Italians into Serre today!

Climbing up from Lautaret light was very flat and snow soft, the higher we climbed a slight crust developed and we saw a couple of skiers coming down one of the couloirs and did not look like they were enjoying their skiing so we decided to climb as far as the base of the rocks and or where the crust became too much for fun skiing.

In the end we only did around 450m and back to Fred's for lunch, and then later on back into La Salle to watch the rugby and then take the Vikings to the Grotte to watch Gunners v Man U !

So wait and see as to what the forecast has in store, have a nasty feeling we might miss out, but now have a good bunch of spies in LG so I can see that maybe being the place to ski this week?

snow report
Rather windy through the early hours and this morning!

Have both gondis (well I'm just back from USA Laughing ) not working and looks like Pointless is about to close, so that will leave only CDB chair here in Villeneuve, though can see upper chairs working as well as Chantemerle lifts.

Seems the only thing right about the forecast today is the wind as not a cloud in the sky and +4 rolling eyes

And forecast getting worse by the day Mad

Might go for a little wander to Telly Tubby land with the dogs
snow conditions
@Weathercam, windy as feck up here. Top lifts shut. Guided groups gone to Monty. Must be snowing over the Col as there's heavy cloud and a few flakes drifting our way.
ski holidays
Been snowing here for about an hour or so. Grass is starting to vanish. Mountain disappeared from view.
latest report
@Hells Bells, I headed over to Cervieres leaving the bad weather up the valley behind me, and was in sunshine.

I was heading for Les Fonts (backside of Montgenevre) to see how far the road was open and how much snow was still there, and to suss out a few N Facing routes

Backside (S Facing slopes) of Montgenevre were brown, though further up the valley it always seems to hold the snow as you can see.

That's where we go touring, the ridge, Crête de Dormillouse, is the border

North facing under the Turge de Peyron

And snow was so rotten (pourri) off the ski de fond track that dog sank (whilst having a pooh) in and could not get out Laughing

As I was making my way back past the mur des Aîttes so the weather started to close in, by the time I was in Briancon twas snowing and then as I was driving back along the valley all the bus stops had many people waiting so lifts/connections obviously closed and since back home blowing a fecking blizzard!

I'll touch base with my friends above LG and find out what it's like over there, as ski touring Chazelet might be the option tomorrow if the wind eases.
snow conditions
I've just been out in the fecking blizzard to pick up a few stragglers who'd ended up in the Cocoon bar.
Laughing Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy