Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Red Mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
I have just signed up for a 2 week trip to Red Mountain next January.
I seems like quite a long time in a single Canadian resort?
I have bought a seasons pass as there is such a massive earlyibird discount it was by far the cheapest option!
I have skied Whistler, Lake Louise, Sunshine, Kicking Horse and Revelstoke already.
Has anyone had any experience with Red Mountain? Apparently it is a bit of a hidden gem?
If so any advice/tips for fun stuff/recommendations would be much appreciated?
We will have our own SUV [F150].
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitewater is just up the road if you fancy a change.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Red is brilliant. Not huge but if you like skiing tight steep trees you won't get bored in 2 weeks. Highest average standard of locals anywhere in the world. Rafters bar at the base is good for apres. Go and see the former world champion smoke-eaters play in Trail. Trail also has a big pool rec centre and all the amenities like Walmart etc that aren't in Rossland. WH20 doable as a day trip.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been a couple of times on road trips, as Dave of the Marmottes, says tight trees, high standard of locals, Whitewater is another gem too wink Wont be full of tourists due to difficulty getting there. Spend $10 and ride the cat.

Where are you staying ? Mtn or town ? Rafters great après, Rossland is very low key. Brewery good and the Rock Cut pub.They often had live music at the Flying Steam Shovel, but needed tickets.
Nelson definitely worth a night out, a its got a Bohemian rep. and theres usually some live music on in at least one bar.
Rossland main street Toofy Grin from the stop sign, right, to the far end. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow ... that is pretty small ....
We are staying in the resort [Mountain Project 2]

Great advice so far ... Thanks

Feeling a little daunted by 'tight steep trees'. Hopefully not too tight or too steep. The majority of tree skiing I have done has been in Japan or St Foy, though the steepest/tightest was cat skiing just outside Revelstoke which was then [I have improved] at the limit of my capabilities.

Anyone had any experience of Big Red Cats?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Red is great. You can make it as steep (or not) as you want. Also options of glades as well as tighter trees. Not been in a fair while but always have fond memories of there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FoofyNoo wrote:
Wow ... that is pretty small ....
We are staying in the resort [Mountain Project 2]

Great advice so far ... Thanks

Feeling a little daunted by 'tight steep trees'. Hopefully not too tight or too steep. The majority of tree skiing I have done has been in Japan or St Foy, though the steepest/tightest was cat skiing just outside Revelstoke which was then [I have improved] at the limit of my capabilities.

Anyone had any experience of Big Red Cats?

Don't worry, there is lots of not so tight or steep trees to work up to the tight steep trees (with cool little and not so little drops)
Been with Big Red cats a few times, it was good, but probably as with any group thing, a lot seems to depend on your group - first time out we were in an advanced cat and some people could barely ski powder, though admittedly it was over the head deep! snowHead Also went in an expert cat which seemed to mean people who had more enthusiasm but not necessarily that much more ability (especially to listen to the instructions from the guides as to where to ski and where not to!). They seem to get booked up very quickly these days and a lot more expensive, so haven't been out with them for a long time.
By the way an F150 is not an SUV Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I would highly recommend booking a pro mountain tour through ski school early in your trip. It us a full day guiding for less than $250. There is a half day option too.

The tricks with Red are that many of the runs aren't marked and there is a cliff band that it helps to understand.

If you skied the north bowl glades like back 40, monkey bars, beauty, snorkel etc then Red is not dissimilar. if you liked Revelstoke you'll like the terrain at Red.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Red is the Best --Better than Fernie
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski bum at Red in the late eighties!

Better terrain to Fernie, but do not snow as much.

Still best tree skiing memory after been to many many places in the last 30 years.

Remembering hiking up to the Microwave and went down the back, extreme terrain ++, lucky not to kill myself.

Lots of ski bums and racers. I remember 40+ Canadian alpine team came from the little village including Nancy Green and Karen Lee Gartner.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also looking at going to this resort, although flights are well expensive atm. @FoofyNoo would you mind saying how much your car hire has cost and who it's with please. Never hired a car in N. America and worried what the roads may be like... Flights arrive at Spokane to late to catch the shuttle

Cheers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
From memory, 2 border crossings. The one just down the road from Rossland closed at mid night all those years ago. Worth while checking!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you fly into Spokane stay there or drive north a bit to a place called Chewelah then ski 49 North for your warm up day. Lovely little area with a really friendly vibe.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely go visit Whitewater and Nelson. Valhalla powdercats also good. As is Schweitzer mountain (too far for a day trip though). I found driving fine in a Subaru. Enjoy 😊
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hitting up red for 6 weeks at the end of the month. can't wait!
snow conditions
Drifter210 wrote:

Conditions should be getting from good to really good when you arrive.
snow conditions
Red ...Steep in the Trees !
latest report
Drifter210 wrote:

Nice - just remember to take time off to ski nearby places too Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy