Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Will you permit me a bit of optimism?

Works for me. Take it steady this season.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Redial wrote:
So is the general consensus that the weekend of the 15th is going to be “good” in many areas? Shortlist of Solden/Ischgl/Arlberg. No off piste stuff needed for us. Is it still “too early” to book based on the experience of the SH experts? Do any of those options throw up red flags?

We usually book our mid season trips about 48 weeks out so this is a new (and nerve wracking) experience for us! Very Happy

Gentle bump Smile All help/ direction/ advice greatly appreciated. 5 days to landing in Zurich and nothing booked!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Temperatures looking like being below average or around average for the forseable.

Good day in Obertauern. Bitterly cold and snowy to start.

Sun came out briefly. Party well and truly on now. Krampuslauf later.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Redial wrote:
Redial wrote:
So is the general consensus that the weekend of the 15th is going to be “good” in many areas? Shortlist of Solden/Ischgl/Arlberg. No off piste stuff needed for us. Is it still “too early” to book based on the experience of the SH experts? Do any of those options throw up red flags?

We usually book our mid season trips about 48 weeks out so this is a new (and nerve wracking) experience for us! Very Happy

Gentle bump Smile All help/ direction/ advice greatly appreciated. 5 days to landing in Zurich and nothing booked!

Go to the Arlberg.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold wrote:
Redial wrote:
Redial wrote:

Go to the Arlberg.

Can you give me your thoughts on Saalbach for next week?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen wrote:
Temperatures looking like being below average or around average for the forseable.

Good day in Obertauern. Bitterly cold and snowy to start.

Sun came out briefly. Party well and truly on now. Krampuslauf later.

How's Obertauern? Thinking of going either to there, Saalbach, Lech, or Hochgurgl/Soelden next week.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Redial, we'll know for sure by Monday evening, but it looks like all of Western Austria is going to have plenty of the white stuff. Of the areas you've listed I go to Lech 1st, Ischgl 2nd and Soelden I don't much like at all. I'd have Serfaus as my 3rd choice if I was coming from Zurich. Are you hiring a car, train or taxi? Arlberg is easy by train or the Arlberg Express coach.

Looking for a hotel? We'll be in the Fernsicht in Lech from the 15th for a week, I think that'll be the fifth or sixth time we've stayed there. It's quiet and a little bit out from the centre but we like it. http://www.fernsicht-lech.at/en

Wherever you decide to go it's worth booking direct with the Hotel rather than using a website like Booking.com - you'll usually get a slightly better deal.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@südtirolistdeutsch, Just looked at snow-forecast.com, which is predicting 94cm on the mountain and 45cm in Saalbach village over the next three days. It's usually accurate when it gets this close.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 8-12-18 21:17; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@valkyrie Thanks for the suggestions! Have spent a week in each in the past (Anton based Not Lech though). All great!

Would possibly go for Anton based on the train convenience and it might open up an additional half day as we have a late flight Monday but concerned Arlberg have very little open to date. Ischgl on the other hand have had 123km this week and I assume will have more next week. Solden are at 136km (incl ober/hoch). Off piste is no draw for us.

Other concern is weather. Looks like Arlberg is getting another big dump next Saturday. We have 3 days skiing planned and are first time early season and weekend visitors (we usually ski for a week late in the season so a day lost is no big deal). Be a shame to be seriously restricted on one of the days. Ischgl and Solden looking like less of a threat in that regard next weekend based on my very inexperienced eye.

Are the above valid concerns or splitting hairs? Again, not used to this set up so trying to make the correct calls as best we can with the help of the wise heads on here. That way when I throw out a second trip again next year i’ll get support again! Smile

Thanks again all!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
südtirolistdeutsch wrote:
Whitegold wrote:
Redial wrote:
Redial wrote:

Go to the Arlberg.

Can you give me your thoughts on Saalbach for next week?

Arlberg always gets more snow than Saalbach or anywhere else in Austria.

Lech and St Anton look like they will get puked on next week.

But Saalbach is also due a good puke.

Both will be fine.

Flip a coin.

Heads = Saalbach.
Tails = Arlberg.

Post the result.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Whitegold, The enquirer is going with a party of early intermediates - if they go to StA there will be more than puke on the pistes! Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
tatmanstours wrote:
@südtirolistdeutsch, Just looked at snow-forecast.com, which is predicting 94cm on the mountain and 45cm in Saalbach village over the next three days. It's usually accurate when it gets this close.

Looks like Bergfex bumped up their village number from around 25 to almost 40.

In your experience has Bergfex our snow-forecast.com been more accurate with temp snowfall forecasts?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Question to the weather experts... this current front is coming from the West. So why is Arlberg forecasted to get more snow than Val d’Isere for example?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@BobinCH, because it’s actually coming from the north west.

ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
@BobinCH, because it’s actually coming from the north west.

Thanks! Looking good everywhere based on that chart! Tipping down here alas sitting at the station en route to the airport Confused
ski holidays
@BobinCH, that's the jet stream and speed in km/k and not precipitation unfortunately along the bottom.

Down Sarf we're getting skunked Sad
snow conditions
Quote:
Quote:
this current front is coming from the West. So why is Arlberg forecasted to get more snow than Val d’Isere for example?
@BobinCH, because it’s actually coming from the north west
... To expand on this... There is also the phenomenon of the "lake effect" from Lake Constance which significantly increases the snowfall in the area when the weather comes from this direction
https://journals.ametsoc.org/doi/10.1175/MWR-D-16-0032.1
ski holidays
Apparently all the lifts are shutting in Verbier. Keep ‘em closed until next weekend I say...
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
Apparently all the lifts are shutting in Verbier. Keep ‘em closed until next weekend I say...

Same here in the Jungfrau region - too windy.
snow conditions
Raining down in Zell am See, fingers crossed the forecast for lower temps plays off a bit later on.
snow report
Been snowing all morning in Obertauern. Pistes empty.
snow conditions
We drove the 10km down to the city of Briancon (1,200m) for their Xmas market.

We left 1,400m at 4℃ and down there was a calm almost mild 7℃ as we were well wrapped up.

Driving back said to the OH shall we drive up to the Col du Lautaret, a km past our turning wind was kicking in, by Monetier 1,500m and 3℃ and light snow, another 3km and 100m snow laying in the road and at 1,700 bonkers windy/blizzard conditions, and sensible option was to turn round.

Back in the torture chamber this afternoon me thinks.
snow report
Hochzillertal lifts collide. They’d stopped the lifts because of the wind. Not quite clear how they ended up in this mess. No one hurt.

https://m.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/Mehrere-Gondeln-kollidieren-in-Tiroler-Skigebiet/359239829
snow conditions
Looking very un-white in Austria today.

snow conditions
@Whitegold, it's like snow, just worse in every single way
ski holidays
@südtirolistdeutsch, I’ve only just started consulting Bergfex and also Meteoblue. Last season snow-forecast was pretty reliable especially short-term.
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Hochzillertal lifts collide. They’d stopped the lifts because of the wind. Not quite clear how they ended up in this mess. No one hurt.

https://m.oe24.at/oesterreich/chronik/Mehrere-Gondeln-kollidieren-in-Tiroler-Skigebiet/359239829

Shocked

Somebody pressed the wrong putton and started up again?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@nozawaonsen, that is indeed quite spectacular !
latest report
@nozawaonsen, isn’t that the new lift?
ski holidays
"Gondel erst seit diesem Jahr in Betrieb" - "Wimbachexpress" - it's new:

https://www.skiresort.de/skigebiet/kaltenbach-hochzillertalhochfuegen-ski-optimal/liftebahnen/l104694/
latest report
Whitegold wrote:
Looking very un-white in Austria today.

Meanwhile in other parts of Austria today wink

Been raining in Innsbruck/snowing in the mountains since yesterday evening. Freezing level and 1000m, forecast to drop overnight to below the city.

15-20cms of fresh snow today in Schlick2000, which is a bit out of the way (of this storm) to the south. Arlberg, Ischgl, etc looking better with snow right down in the valleys.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 9-12-18 19:45; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@clarky999, bravo!
snow conditions
Snowing all day in Obertauern, light and dry. Down to Mauterndorf (1100m) on drive down. That will drop overnight.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sun 9-12-18 22:58; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Snowing in Saalbach today, but I heard that it was raining in Zell am See, only 10km down the valley. It must be just over freezing point, and the 250m difference in altitude makes the difference.
snow report
At lunchtime there was wet slushy snow in Ischgl it was damp and miserable, the actual snow line was higher. Despite the raging storm there was hardly a breath of wind in the village. It will need the forecast fall in temperatures for there to be significant valley snow
ski holidays
must say does look like Zmatt getting a fair dusting!
ski holidays
Zermatt road closed by avalanche danger this Swiss (Sunday) evening.

Comes a couple weeks after a big hotel explosion in resort.
latest report

Snowing in Lech.
snow report
Looks like Snow-forecast have been the most accurate with freezing levels, it's still raining in Zell am See valley where as Bergfex had a freezing level of around 480m by now and Snow-forecast had it at 850m, interesting.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy