Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@rob@rar, yes, but one does not automatically lead to the other.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Meanwhile the season has started in Central Kiev (Ukraine) after a good snowfall. Only 200m above sea level
That blue-ish run on the left is the first one I ever tackled on proper alpine skis Very Happy

ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mr.Egg wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
The forecasts were for heavy snow above 2000m in parts of the western Alps. It snowed heavily in these areas above 2000m.

like I said
the ones I was checking had no such thing!

Perhaps because the webcams you were presumably looking at around Innsbruck aren’t in the western Alps wink

Regardless, there was snow at altitude on Sunday and Monday at Stubai, Kühtai, Nordkette, etc, all visible on the webcams (and in person), but more like 10-15cm. Then it rained to very high up. Nordkette peaks still showing fresh snow. Lots of really nice photos and videos floating around from Stubai yesterday.

Snowing in Lech currently: https://www.bergfex.com/lech-zuers-arlberg/webcams/c3482/

And warm and sunny in Innsbruck... Crazy weather difference given the distance involved! Normally only really see that sort of difference when you compare north and south of the Brenner.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 4-12-18 12:17; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
polo wrote:

ECM and GFS both penciling in up to 100cm for northern flank to low levels sat-mon, again been consistently modelled from 7-8 days out.
Rest of next week is still largely FI, with most output pointing at a ridge up towards Iceland, leaving alps in a cool and drier easterly, so not bad. And increasing chances of a rare Dec SSW unfolding, which would likely lead to a cold Jan if it comes off.

The current Bergfex (ECM-based?) maps are showing a lot less snow accumulation E of the Arlberg than previously. https://www.bergfex.com/schneevorhersage/5/#images-2

But today's 06Z GFS 6 day accumulation maps still showing hotspots over 200cm in Salzburgerland, more than anywhere else in the N Alps. http://www2.wetter3.de/Animation_06_UTC_05Grad/180_24.gif

Which variation is more likely? More in the West or the East?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@luigi, the Bergfex map is for snowfall and goes out to +144 and the GFS chart is for precipitation and goes out to +180. So a slight case of apples and pears.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@luigi, the Bergfex map is for snowfall and goes out to +144 and the GFS chart is for precipitation and goes out to +180. So a slight case of apples and pears.

Ah yes, they're both measuring snow in slightly different ways, but they are different timeframes, so maybe more snow expected in the East, but arriving later??

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 4-12-18 12:26; edited 3 times in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Perhaps because the webcams you were presumably looking at around Innsbruck aren’t in the western Alps

Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nozawaonsen wrote:

I just checked the Bergfex individual resort forecasts which go out 9 days and the bulk of the snow in the East is looking to arrive Mon/Tues next week which is toward the end of the GFS +180 outlook.

I'm taking a group of friends to Zell/Kaprun in early Jan, most haven't been in years, so seeing a good base laid down now instead of soggy artificial strips in brown meadows would put my mind at ease! snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
polo wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
All the reports for the last 7-10 days have been wrong by a fair margin.

what forecasts were you looking at?
Posts on this thread have been spot on the last 7-10 days, models predicted rain to high levels, and they have been very accurate from what I can see. No reason at all to think the coming weekend won't be as accurate.

ECM and GFS both penciling in up to 100cm for northern flank to low levels sat-mon, again been consistently modelled from 7-8 days out.
Rest of next week is still largely FI, with most output pointing at a ridge up towards Iceland, leaving alps in a cool and drier easterly, so not bad. And increasing chances of a rare Dec SSW unfolding, which would likely lead to a cold Jan if it comes off.

Lots!
resorts own report
Yr.No
snow-forecast
wxcharts
bluemeteo

Maybe just being unlucky with my choice of resorts. We dont do big areas due to the makeup of our group & differences in abilities.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
clarky999 wrote:
Mr.Egg wrote:
nozawaonsen wrote:
The forecasts were for heavy snow above 2000m in parts of the western Alps. It snowed heavily in these areas above 2000m.

like I said
the ones I was checking had no such thing!

Perhaps because the webcams you were presumably looking at around Innsbruck aren’t in the western Alps wink

Naa, I have been keeping an eye on my other booked trip in France as well.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999 wrote:

Snowing in Lech currently: https://www.bergfex.com/lech-zuers-arlberg/webcams/c3482/

dont show me that. I have convinced myself its not worth the effort to cancel 2 nights in Innsbruck & go St Anton for 2 nights instead & having final 3 nights in Innsbruck.
Pinning my hopes on Stubai unless Shlick gets a dump (which looks quite changeable). Gotta find something with cruising blues fto keep her happy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mr.Egg, back 3 pages, at least 4 posts on the 28/29th mentioning how warm / wet / mild it's going to be for 'next week', with the heavier falls in the west.

Snow-forecast (GFS) isn't as consistent as others as it runs 4 times a day, delayed, and the GFS output at that range can swing wildly, so you may well have seen a few nice numbers pop up, but the trend to mild was picked up early and modelled well (unfortunately). ECM/YR been solid all week.

The biggest problem with Snowforecast and Bergfex etc is they don't manage the resort peaks very well. For example, the highest point in Les Gets is 2000m, so Bergfex is showing 7cm for thursday (snowline 1720m) at the top of the resort. The FL will be around 2100, so you would expect a snowline of 1800m approx. But of course snowfall doesn't work like that, and even if the top peak got a few flakes, it's no use to anyone. So the 7cm is misleading.

On Bergfex you can click on each day separately to get a better breakdown of how much falls during the day and at what level.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Explain like I'm Five [ELI5]: Do you reckon there will be a big dump of snow in Val Thorens soon. Thanks! snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Poogle, in a word, yes

https://www.yr.no/place/France/Rh%C3%B4ne-Alpes/Val_Thorens/long.html
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just checked the wePowder forecast and I think I now understand what's happening over the next week or so. 3 storm depressions hitting the Alps: Kerrin, Luana & one beginning with M-, presumably.

The cold front associated with Kerrin today is cooling things rapidly but petering out, Luana later in the week brings a warm front with very mild air but delivers snow to the High Alpine in the NW.
But the third one which starts to hit on Saturday brings a classic 'slide' scenario drawing cold air from the Arctic down the North Sea picking up moisture all the way and stacks it into the Northern Alps creating a Nordstau with abundant snowfall to low levels over several days in the NW Alps then right across the N Alps.

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/261491

The chart is very helpful:

Let's hope the M- storm does its business!! snowHead
ski holidays
luigi wrote:

The chart is very helpful:

Let's hope the M- storm does its business!! snowHead

And this is how those various depressions might track through?

A very volatile scenario indeed!
snow conditions
Some serious snow accumulations starting to show for weekend! Fingers crossed!
snow report
Oh god, this is making my 5th Jan trip to destination-not-yet-decided look like a much more exciting prospect!
latest report
So if the predicted snowfall of the next few days comes off the only thing that could ruin piste skiing for the rest of the month in the resorts that receive at least 50cm is a freak rain event?
snow report
sbooker wrote:
... the only thing that could ruin piste skiing...

Or too many storms and they stop running the transfers, which happened to my friends (and just a few others as well) last year.

Much as I like GVA airport, I don't want to spend my whole weekend there
snow conditions
@sbooker, Of course a bit of rain between dumps helps to form a solid base. It’s surprising how much rain the pistes can sometimes absorb as long as it freezes again afterwards.
snow report
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Without being too picky, think you will find Zell (and Saalbach) are in the Tyrol

@PeterGee, I can confirm that we (fortunately, as the Tyrol is more restrictive on buying property) and also Zell am See are in Salzburgerland. The TirolS gondola, which connects Saalbach-Hinterglemm with Fieberbrunn spans the border, but we don't need passports Laughing

I stand corrected and educated, thank you.

I am now duely looking forward to skiing in Salzburgereland in January Happy
ski holidays
I have a feeling you will enjoy it Smile

In the Amade region the current higher temps have not seemed to affect the pistes, more are opening now, and with the coming cold snap I am hoping that the forest base freezes well and sets up the season. The only problem is that there are still too many rocks and branches protruding so for the first couple of dumps it may be advisable to dig out your older all mountain or fat skis for some off piste, unless you are rich or enjoy carrying out base repairs Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
sbooker wrote:
So if the predicted snowfall of the next few days comes off the only thing that could ruin piste skiing for the rest of the month in the resorts that receive at least 50cm is a freak rain event?

Have to be very freak. Takes a lot of rain to melt packed piste snow - it's all due to the latent energy of water solid/liquid transition

If is wasn't for that, and snow being white we wouldn't have skiing.
snow report
EarthWindandWater wrote:
sbooker wrote:
... the only thing that could ruin piste skiing...

Or too many storms and they stop running the transfers, which happened to my friends (and just a few others as well) last year.

Much as I like GVA airport, I don't want to spend my whole weekend there

GVA airport is great once you get to the main bit from the charter flight shuttle. That bit is pretty awful; took us 2 hours last year from arriving to getting to the main building by which time the flight had been called.
snow conditions
tatmanstours wrote:
Quote:

Without being too picky, think you will find Zell (and Saalbach) are in the Tyrol

@PeterGee, I can confirm that we (fortunately, as the Tyrol is more restrictive on buying property) and also Zell am See are in Salzburgerland. The TirolS gondola, which connects Saalbach-Hinterglemm with Fieberbrunn spans the border, but we don't need passports Laughing

Until Tirexit that is...
ski holidays
Quote:

I expect there'll be a fair bit of local variation. In general it looks like most of France, Switzerland and Austria should get a decent amount of snow, but Italy may have a lot less. Based on your itinerary, I think the Aosta valley may have snow, but you may find a lot more snow the other side of the big hills into France or Switzerland. I don't know the Dolomites that well, but that may be predominantly on artificial snow, and that's dependent on it being cold enough to make snow
ski holidays
Great storm coming this weekend and into early next week. Massive dump across northern and western alps. Should setup a base that will hold through until at least Xmas. Looks like those who booked early season trips Will get lucky!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
buchanan101 wrote:

GVA airport is great

Are you from Luton?
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Great storm coming this weekend and into early next week.

Late next week also showing some potential in FI on the latest GFS, at least for us lowlanders in the NW alps.
ski holidays
snoozeboy wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

GVA airport is great

Are you from Luton?

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quote:
Looks like those who booked early season trips will get lucky!
Not only that, I'm hoping that the snow conditions will be good too! Laughing
snow report
Plenty of snow on its way, increasingly down to valley levels and getting very cold. Over a metre in some areas with a large temperature gradient over a few days. Potential for some dangerous early season avalanche conditions. I'm stopping the snow dances now.
snow report
when this amount of snow falls on bare ground (which is still the case in lower resorts), it's not good is it? No solid base to stick to.
ski holidays
base has to start somewhere!
ski holidays
Oleski wrote:
when this amount of snow falls on bare ground (which is still the case in lower resorts), it's not good is it? No solid base to stick to.

Well there has to be a season starting fall of snow lower down sometime and its certainly good news that its coming just before the season starts this time. Remember lower down is usually pasture and while the ground perhaps hasn't cooled a lot yet they'll fire the cannons and piste it down and make the most of it regardless. Theres already a good base above 2000m for the higher resorts. In recent years this big dump of snow has come either after Christmas, mid November or even into the new year
snow report
Oleski wrote:

Congratulations on finding a negative angle rolling eyes Laughing Shocked wink

Are you the guy that worries that at the end of a drought when it rains the ground won't absorb the water and will lay on the surface Laughing Laughing
snow report
Took advantage of the current Spring-like conditions with a very nice ski tour in temps on par with a day in April after a good overnight freeze.

Snow was a mixture of creamy Spring snow and creamy powder, very pleasant, and would have been better if I'd been on wider skis.

Interesting in that this time of year it's a totally different thought process/modus operandi to find/ski transformed snow.

Nice vid in the Serre thread
snow report
Oleski wrote:

All snow is good. Fresh snow is better. Cold, fresh snow is best. That’s what we’re getting. Lots of it. Rejoice!
latest report
I'll take any kind of snow we can get as we need to start somewhere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy