Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Very quiet end to the season here.

What's going on.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantasizing about next winter
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dude - I'm packing ski gear for a flight tomorrow!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold wrote:
Very quiet end to the season here.

What's going on.

It's currently snowing in the Northern and Central Cascades. Expecting about 20cm's or so. Should see snow in the Colorado Rockies as well. Over 3 meters of snow at the base of most West Coast and interior ski areas. Fun times skiing in the funky 10cm's that fell on Saturday night. Heavily wind effected. But snow turns into a pie crust, with a nice soft fruity middle when hit with steady 100km/h winds. You pick the fruit. I'm partial to cherry! wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Plans to go touring next week. CHAMONIX / Valais / Aosta Valley. Starting Saturday. My assessment would be that the 10 day weather looks bad (very bad). Warm and wet. We have tunnel tickets booked but nothing else, so very flexible.

Any advice on the forecast or suggestions for destinations to miss the worst of the weather?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
digging the chairs out in the Lebanon

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any tips for optimum corn snow? I'm assuming its off piste?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@jsrt201, do you have a guide?

If so leave it to him, suspect you'll go high and have to stay at altitude.

First marmots of the year yesterday Very Happy

Taking a few ski bums (Split baorders) and friends out for a gentle tour today, though there was not too much of an overnight freeze going on rolling eyes

Earlier in the week touring chill wind was stopping the snow doing its thing and even though we started our descent at 12:30 having left a couple of hours later than normal snow was still hard at 2750m lower down was ok
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks. No guide.

Lack of overnight freezing is a concern and it’s only forecast to get warmer into next week.

High is fine until the weather comes in.. then the wind can be really problematic.

A tricky week ahead I think. Got any good suggestions?

I’m thinking 2 day trips to Grand Paradiso and Domes des Miage or Trient Glacier area. Short trips gives the flexibility to sit down in the valley during storms. Anyone got any recent info from either of these?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jsrt201, Verbier to Zermatt Haute Route? Or just Arolla to Cabane des Vignettes and then onto Zermatt. High and very handsome! Return by train
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
davidof wrote:
digging the chairs out in the Lebanon

Good spot.

Think Lebanon had a very snowy winter up in the hills.

Heavy winter rains down-low have caused the biggest spring butterfly season in ~100 years.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Feck me, check out the forecast for La Grave back end of next week !!!

Early days, but me and KenX still have a lift pass to use.

http://www.meteociel.fr/tendances/1807/la_grave.htm
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Incoming for the final weekend of the season!

latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yep this low pressure set up around the 25-26th was cropping up in deep FI back as far as April 11th. FV3 model (new GFS) seemed more consistent with the signal.....here's the current outlook at t+150, vs the signal from Aprill 12th, 324 hrs out, looking 2 weeks into the future. So far so good.

Here's the GFS 00z out to 28th

And a nice shot of the longer days arriving......taken by my better half at midnight last night, visiting family in northern Iceland, 65.9 degrees north
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Any concensus on freezing levels?
snow conditions
hd wrote:
Any concensus on freezing levels?

where? The refreezes haven't been good the last two nights around Grenoble.
ski holidays
GFS freeze level outlook for Grenoble, the Op (black) drops as low as 1200m, but the average ens (red) is closer to 2000. At the moment the heaviest precip is forecast during the coldest period (similar to ECM). Would be great to see 20-30cm at 1500m....but too far away to be accurate

latest report
Gorgeous skiing in Ischgl at the moment.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Gorgeous skiing in Ischgl at the moment.

Yes, was in solden and obergurgl last 3 days and great conditions. Hard predictable pistes early on, glacier stuff in solden still had grippy snow and was good into early afternoon and beyond in parts. World cup run still skiing well at four o'clock yesterday. Pretty remarkable given how warm it was and has been. Below 2500 obviously degrading progressively during the day.

Zweigelt in the sun also excellent in both resorts Very Happy
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, its funny, I've always associated this thread with snowfall and am disappointed when I see wall to wall sun forecast. Occasionally, you and others will take the contrary view saying something like "great skiing weather next few days".

You forget in the powder dragon chase just how good skiing pistes in the sun and lunching well is.
latest report
@8611, specially this time of year. Aspect obviously increasingly important. Some fine spring snow if you time it well.
snow report
Quote:

Some fine spring snow if you time it well

Exactly. A lunchtime appointment in a fine restaurant saw us up the Grands Montets way too early this morning.
snow conditions
Snow coming to Scotland and mainland Europe next week.

Last blast of the season.
snow conditions
Could be an extended blast though, more and more runs take the low eastwards under the greenland block.....pretty rare to see this in recent times, most of the time the northern block has either been too low (Uk/ Scandi), or sinks back into central europe. But not this time it seems.....could lead to slack northerlies, and below avg temps into early May.

gfs-0-192 gfs-15-192

Will there be fresh snow down low, for the 8th month in a row
ski holidays
Looking good for various places this weekend - unfortunately I have used up my passes, domestic passes. But could be a great end to a very good season for any likeminded addicts still in the game.
snow report
Indeed - have a surfeit of verbier passes, looks like its a long weekend from tomorrow for me Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@coddlesangers, may have some mates over on Saturday in case you’ve got some extra you want to sell
ski holidays
@BobinCH, cool - I'll do a tot early tomorrow and drop you a line if there's still spares, if there is your mates can just have them..buy Club vouchers so easy to transfer to you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It’s on!

latest report
@BobinCH, wow! And that looks like a groovy mover. How old now?
latest report
Well that's it for us now in terms of lifts, not that I used that many this season Laughing

It had to be done though as we had La Grave passes to use up.

Rumour was that there was 60cm of fresh, and the lift was closed yesterday due to high winds.

So we were in the queue at 08:30 with various reprobates about 12th inline and everyone was excited at the prospect.

Then just before 09:00 Per, a guide I know well, came over to see us, he had just done the commission run where a number of guides ski either side to determine if it's safe for the lift to open.

And he said snow up top was good but below 2,000m was "virtually unskiable" which sort of deflated the balloon a little!

So up we went, we skied the Vallons and managed some nice turns but the snow was a tad sketchy in places and soon became obvious what aspects were the best.

I missed the turn to the middle station so we were committed to ski down to P1 and that was tough, not at all friendly, pure survival and sweating like a pig by the time we were back at the lift.

Then it was back up to ski Chancel side, and no-one had skied the traverse to the mid station P2 because of the avy risk, so maybe just as well I'd missed the turn becasue I would not have fancied doing first tracks on the traverse.

Chancel was way better and scored some good turns, and even where I thought the snow should be bad it was ok, then it was back to survival skiing in the trees on the traverse.

As ever hardly anyone actually on the mountain it seemed and lifts back up eerily quiet.

Empty lift up from the village

Coming back over the Col viz lifted a little and there were a few nice tracks down the Combeynot face, though what was more alarming were a couple of big slides in an area I'd never seen go before, you can just about make out the crown left of centre of image.

So that's it for us in terms of lifts now take one day as per forecast to milk the last of the snow for touring, or there again we could always get some more fresh for some May powder touring which we've had the last two years.
latest report
Until I saw your photo I'd always assumed the slopes were on the opposite side of the valley. I've only driven through once and never really thought about it before, funny how you can hear a lot about a place and yet have a completely false picture.
latest report
Hurtle wrote:
@BobinCH, wow! And that looks like a groovy mover. How old now?

Just turned 9 going on 19...

Loads of snow up there and more on the way. Viz will be the challenge for tomorrow

http://youtube.com/v/5spXbhpj-nQ
snow report
@BobinCH, Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Weathercam wrote:

Coming back over the Col viz lifted a little and there were a few nice tracks down the Combeynot face, though what was more alarming were a couple of big slides in an area I'd never seen go before, you can just about make out the crown left of centre of image.

Probably the avalanche that caught a couple of ski tourers this morning. Nothing life threatening.
snow report
@davidof, that was on the other side, Vallons Fontenil, Jumelles direction up from Les Boussardes reading La Dauphine
ski holidays
Weathercam wrote:
@davidof, that was on the other side, Vallons Fontenil, Jumelles direction up from Les Boussardes reading La Dauphine

Ok I've only got my smartphone so haven't looked further.
ski holidays
@BobinCH, looks superb but how light was the powder?
latest report
8611 wrote:
@BobinCH, looks superb but how light was the powder?

Nothing light about this spring pow! Although seems to be getting pretty cold tonight so let’s see what tomorrow brings...
snow conditions
That makes me feel a small bit better - enjoy. Gravity is almost always in condition.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy