Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
under a new name wrote:
@Whitegold, you are an idiot. I have barely been able to access my garage because os snow all season.

Why are you such a negative charge?

I think most people on here just insulate themselves from Whitegold..... wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Be careful over the next days if there is any fresh snow, there has been a long spell of cold nights with clear skies, expect some new weak layers to have formed.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yay! Cham got more than the expected 10 cm on friday (id guess about 25-30 mid mountain?), Enough to cover the old layer in GM at least, and i got two powder days at last!

I did come across an unexpected drop today due to a bit of poor vis tho, fell 2-3 meters and landed flat and also towards a tree. Hurting legs, but nothing broken, all is well, happy again. Hope winter makes a proper return in march.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Vallée blanche looking great from the pics. You did well. Just 10cm here
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
- Chartreuse champagne powder this weekend.

Noticed a lot of surface hoar in places, take care if Wednesday storm actually brings any snow.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ensembles are shaping up nicely (mon, thurs), as most precipitation tending to come in on cold troughs. W-NW Pattern reloads next week (11-14th), and can be better the second time round after initial breakdown of a high.

As usual, want to see high pressure west of France and not reaching too far NE towards Uk, which would divert lows north of the alps.

Also don’t want to see the Azores high too far west in the mid atlantic, as this leads to lows forming nearer to Portugal and warm anti-clockwise SW flow off Iberia towards alps (like Tuesday)

Long story short, outlook is pretty good for northern and western alps, heaviest area around chamonix on today’s 12z
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam wrote:
@BobinCH, well I'm in Colorado, at Steamboat not too far from Crested Bute (3rd in your image above) in the overall scheme of things Puzzled

And locals on the ground have been getting most excited at the prospect of a major storm, I've heard people talking anything from 2 to 3 feet by Sunday, and Google Weather alerts are saying similar.

However, Snow-Forecast is only showing 10-12cm and so far for today they have been right!

Well, the Snow Gods did deliver, knee to thigh deep powder, though yesterday was more Prosecco than Champagne.

Does seem to be a bit of a lottery with the forecasts, but when you consider the size of Colorado at 104,185 mi² compared to the French Alps 81,081 mi² hardly surprising, and many a Geographic feature such as the Continental Divide affecting the way the storms track through.

Today was that much colder and was super light smoking powder.

Tad bumpy in the trees as yesterday was very very busy, but we developed a good strategy of skiing just a little out of bounds and not many do that.

And see the Snow Gods are possibly lining something up for us for our return to Serre Che Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Weathercam,

Looks like you had good timing for your trip. I missed that epic powday in CO by a day. Did catch the front end of the storm while in Aspen with about a foot of the heavier than your typical champagne powder. As some locals said it was more like beer.

Looks like more storms are headed in off the Pacific. Been one heck of a February for quite a few ski areas in Tahoe and Mammoth along with Jackson Hole.

Managed to get in some nice pow turns at Snowmass on Friday and Saturday before I headed back home

Snowmass2
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Storm warnings this morning in Austria with potential for gusts of up to 120kmh on exposed ridges in the mountains in Tirol and Vorarlberg overnight.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So, have flights to Geneva on the 22. Still haven't booked anything else. Looking right now at Val Thorens and Verbier. The GFS charts look similar to me. Any suggestions where to chose (between those 2)? Any other place besides those 2 is likely to be significantly better?
Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sugardaddy wrote:
So, have flights to Geneva on the 22. Still haven't booked anything else. Looking right now at Val Thorens and Verbier. The GFS charts look similar to me. Any suggestions where to chose (between those 2)? Any other place besides those 2 is likely to be significantly better?
Thanks

Verbier Xtreme that week. There should be a good buzz in town and you can Watch the worlds best free riders on the Bec des Rosses if that’s your thing. Forecast for ne t 2 weeks looking snowy fingers crossed...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If you want to ski powder then avoid Verbier. You get powder hours not powder days. Too many good skiers and too many queues.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergfex seriously downgraded this week's storm totals for Voralberg and eastern Switzerland. How reliable are their forecasts typically (I just moved over here from the States and I'm new to them)?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Snowing in Champoluc (Monterosa),not due to snow a huge amount but seeing it fall is at least a change from pretty much wall to wall sunshine since our arrival on the 23rd Feb. Hopefully more significant snow due on Thursday, would be grateful for the weather gurus thoughts on this?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Told it's a whiteout in the 3V today.
snow report
blacksheep wrote:

Is it snow or rain. I saw reports of rain mixed with snow at lower elevations?
snow conditions
Ptspeak wrote:
blacksheep wrote:

Is it snow or rain. I saw reports of rain mixed with snow at lower elevations?

Whiteout at 2800 meters, rain in the villages. It is warm today.
snow report
Snowing in Saas Fee now! Very Happy
snow conditions
Interesting prognosis this morning. EC sending the jet deep south towards the middle of the month. GFS on the other side is sending the H east from Iberia towards southern Europe from 17th of March. A lot of uncertainty regarding percipitation and temperatures the next couple of weeks... 7 th of March seems to be good for heavy snowfall in the southern Alps. Sunday may see heavy dump from central CH to salzburgland. A new heavy day on Monday with snow in western/central Alps.
ski holidays
@Woosh, Thanks! Fingers crossed the snowline remains low. As of right now I'm seeing a lot of fluctuation in that regard. Of course after an epic January in Austria I now have a lot of friends from the USA coming to visit in March and I'm afraid they'll be skiing in rain! Hope that's not the case.
ski holidays
@ArlbergMeister, No worries

If we get the EC solution, the snow line will be low. Snow in the valleys. But the jury is still out Smile
latest report
Heading to Lech on Saturday, hoping the snow line stays nice and low!!
ski holidays
06z op run again goes cold from mid month, but little support amongst ensembles for now.

Cold start this morning, good 10cm last night, so lots of laps this morning. Warming up now.
snow conditions
ECM12z sticks with cold mid month.

latest report
The Freddie Mercury index continues to fall off a cliff. I'll get my coat
A.....O.....

http://youtube.com/v/lkbP5OPQhdQ

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/daily_ao_index/ao.sprd2.gif
snow report
Good video of conditions in Italy right now.

Makes a point that it was -20c this time last year... +20c this year.

http://youtube.com/v/db4xFNzKEJQ
ski holidays
GFS 18z meanwhile throws this into the mix...

snow report
Snow continues to fall in the South Cascade range and Sierra Nevada in California. Seems like someone turned the faucet on and just left it running. Snowing in my town since yesterday afternoon at 3,000' level. Colorado and Utah also getting the goods this week.

https://www.sfgate.com/weather/article/Sierra-Nevada-Tahoe-atmospheric-river-weather-13663938.php

This avalanche off of I-70 occurred last Sunday near Copper.

https://nypost.com/video/avalanche-consumes-highway-like-its-nothing/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is not comparison between European and north American resorts..in terms of snow quantity and quality.
Once you experience the dry smoke snow powder gets over there, it makes so difficult to get satisfaction in any European resorts.., you lucky if you get 10/15 cm once in a blu moon.
snow conditions
West Coast of US/Canada does not get dry smoke powder. It gets wet heavy snow because it is coastal.
Toro, the US is huge and the conditions you are talking about are specific to certain areas on certain years. Like anywhere conditions vary from region to region and year to year. Look at the forecast for some regions of the alps this week and you will see plenty of snow and no blue moons.
latest report
I've experienced Sierra cement on more than one occasion. No resemblance whatsoever to dry, smoky powder! Very Happy
snow conditions
jamesbrocklehurst wrote:
West Coast of US/Canada does not get dry smoke powder. It gets wet heavy snow because it is coastal.
Toro, the US is huge and the conditions you are talking about are specific to certain areas on certain years. Like anywhere conditions vary from region to region and year to year. Look at the forecast for some regions of the alps this week and you will see plenty of snow and no blue moons.

I'm talking about central Us resorts Utah, CO, ..etc resorts
Of course in general speaking..
In my experience I always skiing in much better conditions in terms of snow quantity and quality.and more often.
latest report
I ski annually in the US too in Utah, Colorado and N.California, and that Colorado (Utah gets it less) powder is pretty special.

And so it should be, with Vail now at $190 for a single day pass...

Anyway - tel me more about Europe, as I'm back here now, and today's weather in the NW Alps has been back to warm and dry!
latest report
Harry Flashman wrote:
I ski annually in the US too in Utah, Colorado and N.California, and that Colorado (Utah gets it less) powder is pretty special.

Anyway - tel me more about Europe, as I'm back here now, and today's weather in the NW Alps has been back to warm and dry!

My experience general speaking skiing here in Europe is a totally different, I enjoy both areas.
But in term of snow if you are used to skiing in US Co etc..
You will need to scale down your expectations of snow quantity and quality .
Have fun
snow conditions
I don't think the warm and dry is going to last.
ski holidays
toro wrote:
Harry Flashman wrote:

My experience general speaking skiing here in Europe is a totally different, I enjoy both areas.
But in term of snow if you are used to skiing in US Co etc..
You will need to scale down your expectations of snow quantity and quality .
Have fun

I disagree that Utah gets less than CO. Specifically Little Cottonwood Canyon(Snowbird/Alta) get more fresh snow than anywhere else, except maybe Japan.
There is far less traffic on the snow compared to Europe, which makes a big difference in afternoon conditions. I would be very hesitant to schedule a trip to California for skiing if I only had one or two weeks a year. The snowfall is heavy but unpredictable. Jackson Hole is a great mix of reliable snow and great terrain, but even there you need to wait to February most years because the terrain is rugged.
snow report
Some stormy weather coming up in places this weekend.

“Weather forecast through Thursday, 07.03.2019

In the northern regions during the nocturnal hours, a foehn wind will be raging. In the early morning, temperatures will drop somewhat, and precipitation will set in. The snowfall level will descend from 1600 down to 1200 m.

In the southern regions, intensive snowfall is expected to set in during the night. The snowfall level in northern Ticino will lie at 1200 m, further to the south at 1400 to 1800m.

Fresh snow

By Thursday afternoon:

Main Alpine Ridge from the Furka Pass to the Bernina Pass and southwards therefrom, along the Italian border from Monte Rosa into Goms: 30 to 50 cm, more from place to place;

in the regions directly bordering to the north, furthermost western part of Lower Valais, remaining parts of the Valais sector of the Main Alpine Ridge, Val Müstair: 10 to 30 cm;

in the other regions of Switzerland, less.

Temperature

At midday at 2000 m, between -4 °C in western regions and -2 °C in eastern and in southern regions.

Wind

During the night winds will be southerly to southwesterly, blowing at storm strength; during the daytime, southwesterly winds will be blowing at moderate to strong velocity.
in the Alpine valleys of the north, storm-strength foehn winds will persist until the early morning hours.

Outlook through Saturday, 09.03.2019

In the northern regions, skies will be variably cloudy accompanied by showers. The snowfall level on Friday will lie at 1100 m, subsequently ascend somewhat on Saturday. On Saturday, a strong-velocity westerly wind will be blowing. In the furthermost southern regions it will be partly sunny on both days.

In the southern regions, the danger of dry-snow avalanches is expected to decrease. In the northern regions, avalanche danger levels are not expected to change significantly. The danger of gliding avalanches will decrease.“
snow report
Yes agree,Snowbird/Alta gets lots
Nice terrain also , certainly one of the best
snow conditions
Foehn all yesterday through to this AM in the Grenoble region. A few cms of fresh snow above 1600 meters. Warm.
snow report
Snowed overnight in Champoluc and still snowing lightly, think we've had somewhere around 5cm in village possibly more up on the hill. We've been here for nearly two weeks now and it's interesting how tricky it has been to get a "human" forecast for this area and how flakey ( snowHead ) the forecasting seems to be. Looking out the window seems to work the best. Anyway, off to enjoy the new snow!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy