Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@nozawaonsen, because of the jet stream + cold?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Good old GFS with the sliders and over amplification. Not backed up at all by UKMO 12z, ICON 12z, GEM 12z, FV3 00z nor the ECM 00z. Very little agreement for 7 days out.
I'm really rooting for the GFS this time, as my mates arrive on wednesday for their annual visit. They are one of those groups you read about that seem to hit great conditions every single year.

In any case sun-mon set to deliver the biggest snowfall of the season for the NW at least, 50-60cm on GFS 12z.
NAO seems to be staying positive for a while longer, and mid term pressure anomalies show the euro trough edging a little west.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@staffsan, it’s not actually that cold as it would drag up some warmer air as it moves west to east, but only briefly before cold returns.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@polo, yep reluctance of NAO (rather than AO) to go negative holding deep cold at bay for now. Still pretty parky.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've never seen them diverge to this extent, AO been negative since Dec, NAO positive, and the forecast is for AO to go really negative into early Feb. So we've had blocking over the artic, pushing cold air generally into europe. But it's the vortex lobe over eastern Canada that's been keeping the azores suppressed, as it feeds endless energy across the north atlantic. More likley to get HLB in Feb and March anyway, and along with the slow SSW downwelling finally reaching the troposphere, we're likely to see this NAO pattern change next month. On the other hand, if it ain't broke....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any chance of some sun for the NW Alps next week? Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@polo,

North west being what areas? Thanks.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Garioch, the sun always comes out....and if doesn't it will be snowing
@sparkzter, top 50 resorts listed here, les gets/morzine at 7, don't see that very often
https://wepowder.com/en
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
West is best woot woot!

latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
nozawaonsen wrote:
This would drop a lot is snow in the western Alps.

nozawaonsen,

What is the key characteristic of this chart that suggests that the western Alps will see a lot of snow - particularly compared to somewhere like the Tirol? So what are we looking at here?

Thanks
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, omg what site is that forecast from?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@polo,

Thanks for that. For once I’ve timed it bang on!! Arrive in the 3v this Saturday. Woohoo!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
staffsan wrote:

That looks to be from the SCGB site...who use https://www.snow-forecast.com/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
staffsan wrote:

https://www.skiclub.co.uk/snow-and-weather

The numbers are unreliable (Cham and Zermatt seem to reliably get massively overestimated) but this indicates a weather pattern from the West, which hits Cham area heaviest (also PdS, Verbier etc). Also this link gives you the 9 day forecast for free whereas Snowforecast only gives you 6 days unless you subscribe.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BobinCH wrote:

The numbers are unreliable (Cham and Zermatt seem to reliably get massively overestimated) but this indicates a weather pattern from the West, which hits Cham area heaviest (also PdS, Verbier etc). Also this link gives you the 9 day forecast for free whereas Snowforecast only gives you 6 days unless you subscribe.

Are you sure you are not looking at the SCGB forecast as a member, which I think is the only way to see 9 days?
latest report
@franga, with that deep low pressure sat in the channel a big band of precipitation is going to be driven straight into the western Alps at which point it’s going to drop a lot of snow on the Alps.

Like @BobinCH, says some of the numbers cropping up seem rather unlikely, but it still looks set for quite a snowy spell coming up next week particularly in the western Alps.

snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Are you sure you are not looking at the SCGB forecast as a member, which I think is the only way to see 9 days?

I’m not a member of either. The SCGB link gives you a consolidated 9 day figure. For the breakdown you probably need to subscribe. I use that SCGB link for an idea of where is in the eye of the next storm as it gives you the 5 resorts with the highest predicted snowfall. Based on that one perhaps an attempt at a La Grave weekend may be possible in the next few weeks wink
ski holidays
Heading out to 3 Valleys on Saturday (La Tania).

Am I right in saying looking at a clear day Saturday with a decent dumping of snow Sunday into Monday? Any decent predictions for further on into next week?
snow conditions
BobinCH wrote:
Old Fartbag wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

I’m not a member of either. The SCGB link gives you a consolidated 9 day figure. For the breakdown you probably need to subscribe. I use that SCGB link for an idea of where is in the eye of the next storm as it gives you the 5 resorts with the highest predicted snowfall. Based on that one perhaps an attempt at a La Grave weekend may be possible in the next few weeks wink

Apologies, I now realise that we are talking at cross purposes. I'm referring to a day by day, 9 day forecast (only available to members - of which I am one), in the same vein as the 6 day one from snow forecast.com....and you are referring to the accumulated figure over 9 days.
ski holidays
@Old Fartbag, I'd ignore any forecast over 2-3 days out.
snow report
Fridge03 wrote:

Am I right in saying looking at a clear day Saturday with a decent dumping of snow Sunday into Monday? Any decent predictions for further on into next week?

SCGB Forecast:

Sun 11cm Day; 15cm Night

Mon Moderate Snow all day/night

Tue Sun/Clouds

Wed Light/Moderate snow

Thur Heavy Sonw

Fri Sunny

Weather is quite cold
snow conditions
Old Fartbag wrote:
Fridge03 wrote:

SCGB Forecast:

Sun 11cm Day; 15cm Night

Mon Moderate Snow all day/night

Tue Sun/Clouds

Wed Light/Moderate snow

Thur Heavy Sonw

Fri Sunny

Weather is quite cold

Thanks for that. Looking good!
latest report
kitenski wrote:
@Old Fartbag, I'd ignore any forecast over 2-3 days out.

I pretty much do......I posted more than 3 days, in case it gave a feel for what might happen. ie. Week looks more snowy, than sunny...and on the cold side.
snow report
@BobinCH, "Wait and See" Cool
ski holidays
In terms of more immediate weather impact this Saturday looks like the wind and snow will pick up at the same time as the Hahnenkamm downhill was due to start.

So the downhill race will now start tomorrow Friday at 1130 local time (slalom on Saturday and Super G Sunday).

Downhill 1130 Friday. Not on Saturday.

http://youtube.com/v/0fIsC8b96W4
latest report
I’m also heading to 3V this weekend (Sunday’s). Hopefully this will be a nice contrast to the last time I went in January when there was a big warm spell the week before and Brown pistes leading into the main Meribel area.
snow report
Always find the fact that the various forecasts can get the wind so wrong even on the day. Currently blowing a right old hooley down the valley whilst yr.no has Light breeze, 3 m/s from northwest, Meteociel 13:00 -8 °C Nord-Nord-Ouest : 330 ° 20kph 25 gust, MeteoFrance 10-15kph, and ironically WePowder which always over eggs the snow has it pretty spot on.

Strong winds in the valley not at all conducive to XC unless you drive up one end and then get blown back down Toofy Grin
snow report
Heading to Les 2 Alpes on the 2nd Feb, how long does the general trend of the forecast stay remotely accurate for??

Looking like a fair dumping before I arrive...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
In terms of more immediate weather impact this Saturday looks like the wind and snow will pick up at the same time as the Hahnenkamm downhill was due to start.

So the downhill race will now start tomorrow Friday at 1130 local time (slalom on Saturday and Super G Sunday).

Downhill 1130 Friday. Not on Saturday.

http://youtube.com/v/0fIsC8b96W4

Thanks noza, that's today's work schedule set for me Laughing
ski holidays
nozawaonsen
nozawaonsen wrote:
@franga, with that deep low pressure sat in the channel a big band of precipitation is going to be driven straight into the western Alps at which point it’s going to drop a lot of snow on the Alps.

Like @BobinCH, says some of the numbers cropping up seem rather unlikely, but it still looks set for quite a snowy spell coming up next week particularly in the western Alps.

nozawaonsen, thanks as always. I get it.
snow conditions
Is there anywhere on this, or other, threads that can give a heads-up on forecasts a bit further out? We are looking to go somewhere in three weeks time, and as there seems to be significant differences in conditions between countries, we are happy to chase the snow!
snow conditions
@t40ora, there is, but they are pure speculation, if you can wait til 5-7 days before you will get a better idea, if you wait til 2-3 days before it will be more accurate
latest report
@freeridechef, OK ta. We always book last minute, anyway, but as I'm starting get excited it's nice (but asking a lot) to start narrowing things down now.....
snow conditions
@t40ora, this season looks like Austria and more eastern resorts have the best at the minute, but who knows in 3 weeks time, I'm hoping the Pyrenees gets the dump expected so I can go there in 3 weeks, but right now in Barcelona airport it's 16°c Toofy Grin
latest report
Good weather for skiing is probably more popular at this stage of the season than more snowfall ?
latest report
@freeridechef, I may be venturing into new territories, for me, this year....

@Peter S, it's a balance, though.
snow report
Return of the pow in the West. Woot woot!

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 1-03-19 15:40; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@t40ora, read the first post on page one.
snow report
@nozawaonsen, Haha!

I saw the video, and read no further Very Happy

Yeah, fair comment!
snow report
Eastern US due some ultra cold and lake snow next week.

Good for the momandpop resorts up and down the right side.

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy