Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
GFS 12Z appears to have shifted next weekend's storm west, which would be good news for the northern French Alps while still delivering a healthy dump (again) for Switzerland and Austria away from the south. Milder than it is currently, but at this stage still looking like a snowline at or below most skiing altitudes (i.e. 1000-1200m in the west, lower in the east). Then likely becoming colder again following the storm.

Nothing of real promise for the Southern Alps at this stage within a reliable timeframe.

Will the 18Z move things back east?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person

Noticeable how cold the ensembles trend after mid month. This storm looks like the last for a while in Austria, but is going to be big.

The Arlberg

Chamonix

Cairngorm

Sestriere

Zermatt

Eastern Pyrenees

latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sounds perfect . heading to mayrhofen on 19th . snow before we go followed by a week of cold days with blue skys would be nice . thanks for all the forecasts on here . quite addictive viewing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@nozawaonsen, is there any way to figure the total precipitation over a time period (say, chamonix 13-15 jan Blush ) from the ensemble charts?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A quick look at what's under the fresh snow

Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@davidof, o0

Where is that taken?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@staffsan, it is very difficult to forecast snowfall with any accuracy. And in any case it’s going to get blown all over the place, but this is the same information in different formats.

http://www.meteociel.fr/previsions/27625/chamonix_mont_blanc.htm

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 10-01-19 21:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
staffsan wrote:
@davidof, o0

Where is that taken?

Belledonne mountains, France. 1600 meters altitude. Probably an area that got blitzed by rain over Christmas, there is about 5cm of ice on top of snow. There was ice everywhere. A bit more fresh snow and it should be good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@nozawaonsen, @davidof, thakn you guys!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
davidof wrote:
Belledonne mountains, France. 1600 meters altitude. Probably an area that got blitzed by rain over Christmas, there is about 5cm of ice on top of snow. There was ice everywhere. A bit more fresh snow and it should be good.
That's proper ice! Not often you see frozen water.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A good overview of the current situation in Tirol from LWD Tirol.

https://avalanche.report/albina-web/blog/avalanche-warning-service-tirol.blogspot.com/2904881366578868024?lang=en
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof wrote:

I think that stewart woodward will be racing on that at the weekend.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
davidof wrote:

He'll probably want it water injected.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nozawaonsen wrote:
@Snow&skifan, I would anticipate 1m to 1.5m with storm force winds for the Arlberg. The wind is particular is likely to make things difficult.

Thank you. Going by the already incredible webcam shots of resort level Lech and Warth, it’s going look amazing away from the bulldozed/snowblown road. Dangerous too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof wrote:
rjs wrote:
davidof wrote:

He'll probably want it water injected.
Laughing
ski holidays
tim000 wrote:
sounds perfect . heading to mayrhofen on 19th . snow before we go followed by a week of cold days with blue skys would be nice . thanks for all the forecasts on here . quite addictive viewing

Where are you seeing that, i am in mayrhofen the same week and any forecasts i see don't seem to feature much blue-sky. I don't pretend to be able to understand models etc on here though
snow report
kb36 wrote:

Where are you seeing that, i am in mayrhofen the same week and any forecasts i see don't seem to feature much blue-sky. I don't pretend to be able to understand models etc on here though

I think it was a wish list rather than a forecast. wink
latest report
This is looking pretty snowy in FI no?

snow conditions
@scotspikey, where is that?
ski holidays
scotspikey wrote:

Where is that for?
ski holidays
@scotspikey, a few ensembles are suggesting that, but it’s not a strong signal and in particular hasn’t brought the operational run with it (not that you can see it in that chart). In FI in any case you really want to see a sustained signal to separate from the noise and you can’t do that from one run. What is potentially more interesting is the increasing likelihood that the impacts of the SSW may start to be felt towards the end of the month. -NAO tends to push the jet stream south. All conjecture at this stage mind you.
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@scotspikey, a few ensembles are suggesting that, but it’s not a strong signal and in particular hasn’t brought the operational run with it (not that you can see it in that chart). In FI in any case you really want to see a sustained signal to separate from the noise and you can’t do that from one run. What is potentially more interesting is the increasing likelihood that the impacts of the SSW may start to be felt towards the end of the month. -NAO tends to push the jet stream south. All conjecture at this stage mind you.

What would happen with impact of the SSW and jet stream pushed south?
ski holidays
@Raven, if the SSW disrupts the polar vortex it increases the likelihood of high level blocking (static high pressure systems at northern latitudes). This increases the possibility that the jet stream is driven south which increases the chances of cold weather and possibly more snow on the southern side of the Alps as a result of a more southerly jet stream.
snow report
Raven wrote:
scotspikey wrote:

Where is that for?

How about 46 11 ?

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 11-01-19 10:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
A good overview of the current situation in Tirol from LWD Tirol.

https://avalanche.report/albina-web/blog/avalanche-warning-service-tirol.blogspot.com/2904881366578868024?lang=en

I've been following this: [url= http://liveblog.tt.com/live/winter-in-tirol ][/url] from tiroler tageszeitung which gives quite an insight into what's going on!
latest report
Looking at GFS 850hp + precipitation ensemble, it looks like there's going to be a constant drizzle of snow from the 17th and onwards at least in the North+northwest, if im not interpreting it badly?
latest report
@staffsan, essentially you have interpreted the forecast correctly. However when you get constant lowish levels of precipitation forecast for more than a week away, this usually just means a generally unsettled outlook, and that the different lines / runs just disagree on the exact times where precipitation will fall. I would expect that as the 17th gets nearer, the lines will come into agreement and group themselves into peaks and troughs based on when fronts arrive.

Constant precipitation over several days is actually pretty unusual (though as the last week in Austria has shown, it can happen!).
snow conditions
Lech the pick of the bunch this weekend.

ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Been lurking for a bit and been enjoying the thread - informative and a little addictive! I’m a bit confused about something though that maybe someone can help explain...
...This storm coming from the north on Sunday and Monday is seemingly a similar set up to the previous recent northern stau storms which have delivered so much snow to the north east Alps. From my understanding the alpine ridge stops the snow from travelling further south. I’m a fairly frequent visitor to Alta Badia and so have been keeping a keen eye on the snowfall (or lack of it) in the Dolomites. As predicted they have only been getting the occasional light dusting of snow. However it seems that the forecasts are predicting more for the Dolomites this time round. I’m curious as to what has changed and what is allowing the snow to sink further south (if that actually ends up being the case - I’ve learnt to become a snow pessimist!). Can anyone shed any light on the matter? Should us Dolomite lovers be feeling more optimistic that we’ll get more than the odd flurry being blown over this time?
snow report
Welcome to snowHeads, @KatiePopple - great first post! No idea of the answer, but one of these other clever weather bods will!
latest report
KatiePopple wrote:
Been lurking for a bit and been enjoying the thread - informative and a little addictive! I’m a bit confused about something though that maybe someone can help explain...
...This storm coming from the north on Sunday and Monday is seemingly a similar set up to the previous recent northern stau storms which have delivered so much snow to the north east Alps. From my understanding the alpine ridge stops the snow from travelling further south. I’m a fairly frequent visitor to Alta Badia and so have been keeping a keen eye on the snowfall (or lack of it) in the Dolomites. As predicted they have only been getting the occasional light dusting of snow. However it seems that the forecasts are predicting more for the Dolomites this time round. I’m curious as to what has changed and what is allowing the snow to sink further south (if that actually ends up being the case - I’ve learnt to become a snow pessimist!). Can anyone shed any light on the matter? Should us Dolomite lovers be feeling more optimistic that we’ll get more than the odd flurry being blown over this time?

I dont know the exact answer but it seems as if this storm will pack quite a punch for a period of time and thus will affect areas a bit further south than the alpine ridge. The previous storms also affected areas just south of the ridge but only where they literally border onto the ridge. AT the moment the forecasts are predicting a few cm as far down as the Sella ROnda area resorts. What actually happens remains to be seen. Think right now I'll take anything that falls even if it is a few cm
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
Welcome to snowHeads, @KatiePopple - great first post! No idea of the answer, but one of these other clever weather bods will!

Indeed a considered and pertinent question. Quite the rarity in this thread.
ski holidays
Snow Hound wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

Indeed a considered and pertinent question. Quite the rarity in this thread.

Smile I can't promise I'll always have something interesting to say!
snow conditions
Thanks @jimmybog, I agree that even just a little bit of snow would make a difference to how things look there. I believe the piste skiing is still good but be nice if the grassy bits got covered up!
latest report
KatiePopple wrote:
Thanks @jimmybog, I agree that even just a little bit of snow would make a difference to how things look there. I believe the piste skiing is still good but be nice if the grassy bits got covered up!

Yes I agree. Looking at recent videos on youtube, there is a lot of brown grass around. However in some places higher up it still looks quite wintry. FIngers crossed for Sunday/Monday!!
snow conditions
kb36 wrote:
tim000 wrote:

sorry , was just wishful thinking . but the post above mine does suggest it calming down from mid month . but as long i can see where im going that will do .
ski holidays
tim000 wrote:
kb36 wrote:
tim000 wrote:

sorry , was just wishful thinking . but the post above mine does suggest it calming down from mid month . but as long i can see where im going that will do .

i know is not the most reliable place to get a forecast but the BBC weather site agrees .
https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2771725
snow report
Whistler, Canada, confirms its snowiest December for a quarter-century.

Almost 400cm.

The country did not shutdown or send in the military.

ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:
Whistler, Canada, confirms its snowiest...

The country did not shutdown...

Same could not be said for the US Govt however.
snow report
Question: with the GFS ensemble "wigglies" what does it tell us when the op run is the outlier?

Currently for Geneva there's a massive precipitation spike on the 12Z run for most of the variations but the op is relatively subdued?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy