Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
@robboj, thanks, appreciate it
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The app shows a fair few lifts open.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Bah, should this weather make one cancel week 8-9 in chamonix and go east instead?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@8611, You really have to know the area and pick gentle slopes in the forests with no steep terrain traps. Also be very aware of slopes above the tree line which may propagate an avalanche into the forest. Avi risk is high 4 verging on 5 around the Amade region.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@8611, last time I checked, a couple of hours ago, the links with Leogang and Fieberbrunn were unsurprisingly closed. The Schattberg lifts were also closed. However the Kohlmaisbahn and the Schonleitenbahn were open.
I didn’t check the Hinterglemm lifts, but the up to date information appears to be posted on the Saalbach website.
Conditions were excellent yesterday, by the way, so much so that I nearly missed happy hour at the Bergeralm Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@8611, Looking at the snow fall on the cameras and the fact that its settling in trees then wind seems unlikely to be the problem. From what I can see on the S-H website its the rate of snowfall thats causing the problem. As was mentioned above a lot of off piste is not just closed but not possible - unless your about 8 feet tall? If anything I think its slightly 'worse' to the east in Ski Amadé. I really wouldn't make a decision until tomorrow at the earliest, maybe even spend a night in Munich anyway and make a final call on Monday morning?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks - chap I booked skis off said he'd give me money back if all lifts didn't open, said that had never happened in his life

As such think I'm safe enough in zell, saalbach nearby, wellness in resort

Meant to say head west of munich instead, where there's to be less snow fall - somewhere like montafon maybe, but think we'll be fine
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@8611, like @tatmanstours, says the links were all closed. It did look pretty windy (howling whiteout) towards Fieberbrunn when I peered across. A fair few lifts looked closed above Hinterglemm. Spent most of day playing in endless powder round Kohlmais. Lots of powder not many people.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nozawaonsen wrote:
Lots of powder not many people.

This is a good combo, although it is transfer day I think? But should be quiet next week anyway particularly if weather stays "bad".

Any perceptable diminution of powder lightness per forecast of rising temps and heavier snow?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@8611, nope.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well we've just skied 6 days in seefeld, and my legs ache. Hilarious amouts of on piste powder and a blue sky day on the 1st to show the kids a real mountain panorama from the tip of the cable car. The ski shop guys are so happy they even gave me schnapps when I took our skis back. Just got to get home now. Any news from Innsbruck airport?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Csb123, my flight was cancelled this evening. Trying again in the morning but worried it may also be cancelled.

Managed to ski fresh lines all week but this morning topped it off. Really amazing “piste” skiing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wasn't it amazing. I was skiing till dusk this evening. By the time I got off a lift having skied down the powder had been refreshed! See you tomorrow morning at Innsbruck
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.

http://youtube.com/v/GSprkzio_pE

GFS op reloads.

I would be sceptical about those figures, but the pattern remains.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@denfinella, I know. I’m the ultimate snow pessimist.

Can’t see any Scottish joy on the horizon either Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
2cm for Scotland! Toofy Grin

Yes, hard to put a positive take on Scottish hopes at the moment...
ski holidays
Austria is in incredible shape.

Near-record snowfall in some areas.

France is grim. Trails are like concrete.

Some French resorts could end up a whole month without proper snowfall.

Austria and Eastern Switzerland are the goto stations in Europe right now.
ski holidays
Whitegold wrote:

Some French resorts could end up a whole month without proper snowfall.

Some Dolomite resorts WILL end up a whole month (and probably longer) without proper snowfall !!
latest report
We made it to Obergurgl relatively incident free; flew into Innsbruck just after it reopened this afternoon then straight onto a transfer to resort. There is a LOT of snow and it’s bucketing it down right now (but it’s also very windy sob sob sob)
snow report
Just at the end of 10 days in Ste Foy French Alps , nothing grim at all here , the piste are all complete no bare patches , yes a bit hard in places but not super icy , all you need is a decent edge on your piste skis . Went for a skin three days ago And got some great turns above 2400ms on south west facing slopes , the recent cold and dry humidity has dried the snow it was very a pleasant surprise .
I’m here every New Year and it doesn’t rank in the worse It actually ranks above lasts New Years onslaught of 10 days of Snow and rain .
I suspect some of those in Austria would like to swap for the sun we’ve had .
I’m not down hearted for the French alps it looks like it’s shaping up to be a coldish winter and the snow will come .
ski holidays
Hmm, my plan B of booking a cheap flight to Salzburg for the first week of February is still looking like it might pay off. Just need to decide where to go and hope I can get reasonably priced accommodation.

Austria really needs to share the love (well, the snow actually).
snow report
A10 between Flachau and Lungau will be closed between 0830 and 0930 for avalanche control work.
ski holidays
Thomas Cook and other airlines from across Europe cancelled their (larger plane) flights to Innsbruck in the end, even though the airport reopened. So after a great week’s skiing in Arlberg/Vorarlberg with Inghams, we’ve been put up in a nice Innsbruck city centre hotel with a spa. Our return flight is rescheduled for 9.30 Sunday evening!!

What was surprising was that out of Ingham’s c. 125 guests due to be on that flight, about 100 have disappeared. Making their own arrangements for the night, or heading home at great expense by booking scheduled flights from Zurich via German airports to Gatwick tomorrow. All to get home half a day early, but with the hassle and cost. Hopefully insurers/Thomas Cook pick up every £ in a claim?
ski holidays
Ridiculous day in eastern Austria. Didn't stop for photos 'til halfway down the last run.

110cm in the garden at 602m. 100cm of it from the last 3 days - given the consolidation factor that probably means close to 2m has fallen right down in the valley. Post ski snow shovelling was a bloody good work out!

Driving here from Innsbruck on Friday night was much easier than expected. Snow settling on the motorway, but still able to drive safely at 100km/h.

GF's family reckon they haven't had so much snow in such a timeframe since 2004. Certainly some of the deepest snow I've skied in Austria!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 5-01-19 23:55; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Scarlet wrote:
We started heading out this morning, but the snow is coming down so fast that they can't keep the roads clear and we ended up turning back. I'm expecting it to be worse tomorrow, so I guess that's my weekend back on the sofa Sad

Just get the bus if you aren't comfortable driving! Can't miss this storm 'cos of a bit of snow on the road!
latest report
It’s all just a bit bonkers, eh?
latest report
Happy for all you guys in and with planned trips to austria. Got a trip booked with a big group for cham week 8 and 9, tho and getting a bit anxious. But ECM does look a bit promising cham for the next week until 14 jan, no?
snow report
Bennyboy1, Innsbruck airport appears to be open this morning. We've had another 30cm overnight in Seefeld. I can't work out how our taxi is going to get to us to get us there however.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very snowy this morning in Saalbach. Road still closed.

Seperately acess to Hintertux Glacier suspended until further notice.
ski holidays
UPDATE

L111 (Glemmtaler Landesstraße) between Maishofen and Viehhofen closed all traffic - this means that Saalbach Hinterglemm cannot be reached by car until further notice. As soon as the weather allows a helicopter to take off, the avalanche will be cleared with a controlled blast. Once this happened, the road to Saalbach Hinterglemm will be opened again quickly. This means that the duration of the road closure is unknown. We will keep you updated on this website.

https://www.saalbach.com/en/service/info/arrival
snow report
@clarky999, you are massively underestimating the other hassles involved there! Also, for a fair while yesterday, no busses. I can’t actually drive at the moment either.

It rained quite heavily for a couple of hours last night, so the roads here don’t look too bad. Snowing heavily again now, but wetter than yesterday. Heading out shortly, hopefully it will still be drier higher up.
ski holidays
I took 5 attempts to get out of underground car park this morning. Had a wall of snow to get through in a crap car. Ended up sliding back into side wall, lucky no damage. Road down Zillertal was very challenging and heavy snow continuing to fall.

Once we got on the motorway we had some respite around Jenbach where it turned to rain but once on the motorway and heading to Innsbruck it was heavy snow again. Mainly one lane in operation. Planes are landing and taking off it seems from INN this morning.

I just got a text from a mate who is stuck in Obergurgl due to a avalanche. Not sure if it’s precautionary or they are actually blocked!
snow report
@Csb123, good luck
snow conditions
It’s not looking good Sad Patscherkofel, Axamer Lizum, Nordkette and Mutteralm are all closed. Schlick 2000 is only running to the mid station and Stubai just has a couple of lifts open (but it will be grim up there). Any ideas?
latest report
Drive to Kaltenbach?
ski holidays
You can get to Seefeld from innsbruck with chains for a ski.
snow report
The B186 between Zwieselstein and Obergurgl is closed until further notice
ski holidays
Snowing very heavily in Saalbach now.

Here’s a quick glance at the broad pattern from GFS.

ski holidays
Obertauern is also cut off now. Roads closed due to Avvy risk
ski holidays
Flights out of Innsbruck now ominously delayed....
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy