Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Mmmm I have a flight from INN tomorrow evening back to UK...could be a long night.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Never normally post, just lurk but just had a text that our flight to the UK from Salzburg on Saturday morning is now departing from Linz! It hasn't stopped snowing here in Maria Alm since we arrived last week and the resort is only at 800 meters. Good luck to anyone arriving in Austria tomorrow.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
nozawaonsen wrote:
Military in Tirol on alert too. And the Avalanche train is being prepped in Innsbruck.

These areas could reach avalanche level 5 by the end of the weekend. Karwendel, Rofan, Kitzbüheler Alpen, the Zillertaler and the Tauernhauptkamm.

Shocked Erm, what is the avalanche train?

Currently trying to figure out where to go tomorrow, as I’m guessing we might get some closures on Sunday.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Scarlet, to be honest it means the avalanche troop, but avalanche train caught my eye and my imagination got carried away...

http://youtube.com/v/C0uVmwix5Qs
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, I’m now flying from Salzburg to Linz tomorrow Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@nozawaonsen, yeah, that’s where my mind was heading too. I also had visions of some kind of rescue train getting access up and down the valley, but that makes no sense either, as the road runs next to the rail line.

I was just in the phone to my mum, “big storm coming tomorrow”. “So you’ll be staying in then?” rolling eyes Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We haven't booked anything yet but looking for the week starting Sat 19th Jan in the French Alps so holding out for a bit more snow in the next couple weeks. Last year in Les Arcs was the opposite problem, 1950 completely snowed under.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Interesting stuff! Have flight booked for munich 9pm sunday arrival. Wondering if it would be unwise to pay for my accommodation in advance in case I can't get in. Thinking zell am see. Any high passes on that route does anyone know?

I have a recollection you can get to zillertal valley by train from munich so that might be better bet, but surely train would be affected by so much snow too?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scarlet wrote:
@nozawaonsen, yeah, that’s where my mind was heading too. I also had visions of some kind of rescue train getting access up and down the valley, but that makes no sense either, as the road runs next to the rail line.

I was just in the phone to my mum, “big storm coming tomorrow”. “So you’ll be staying in then?” rolling eyes Laughing

driving up the Inn Valley there seems to be a railway line part way up the north side of the valley. Maybe it’s that line?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
...over two metres more to come over next 10 days. ...
I remember the vid. in 2012 of Black Hawk helicopters in Austria blowing snow from trees to prevent them bringing down the power lines snowHead

youtube.com/v/gw2cHVku2Oo

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 4-01-19 23:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The latest GFS continues a recent trend of shifting the next storm slightly further east for mid-week next week. CMC and ICON look similar. Switzerland still looks like it should get good precipitation but more of a glancing blow for France. Still time for guidance to wobble around a bit.

Southern Germany has been underperforming on cold and snow the past two days. Some lowland places should see a few hours of heavy snow tomorrow, but this is not shaping up like the long duration, significant event that looked possible a day or two ago. But the Austrian (and pre-Alp) resorts are buried no matter what.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Slight sense of calm before the storm. Not too snowy in Saalbach right now.

@nozawaonsen, I assume that this must have been posted around mid-afternoon, when there was a slight lull. I went up around 3.00pm and it soon started dumping heavily (again) - as it was when we skied down at around 5.30pm, and after that all evening. The general consensus betrween those of us who stay in Saalbach all season is that we've never seen it so good - and there have been many other years when we got sizable dumps in early January. It's not just the quantity of the powder that is making us extremely happy but its beautifully light quality. Also being able to ski through the streets and to the doorstep Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can’t wait!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For those interested just driven on a10 from Altenmarkt to Salzburg airport, flowing well. Snowing steadily at airport but no delays.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@tatmanstours, yes it is particularly fine and light at the moment isn’t it. Almost like some sort of... powder!

@waynos, traffic certainly flowing in and out of Saalbach ok at moment. I see warnings of Mega-Verkehrschaos later through...

Following from LWD Salzburg

“HIGH danger, numerous large naturally triggered avalanches

Afternoon

Morning

Avalanche danger is HIGH (4) over widespread areas. We urgently advise against all backcountry skiing and freeriding tours. Great sink-in depths, zero visibility, high avalanche activity. Many large, often very large avalanches are likely this afternoon and tonight, also with immense reach. Exposed transportation routes can be at risk.

Avalanche Danger

Danger is HIGH (level 4), and at the upper border of that level in the Northern Alps. The main threat stems from naturally triggered avalanches which release all by themselves. This afternoon and evening, and during the night tonight, numerous medium-to-large, where precipitation is heaviest even very large avalanches can be expected in all aspects. Due to potential snow dust development, these can reach very far indeed.

Backcountry skiing and freeriding tours are pointless (enormous sink-in depths, no visibility) and dangerous. The proneness to triggering is high everywhere in steep terrain (settling noises, glide cracks, remote triggering).

Conditions are comparably good in the Lungau Nockberge, where the danger stems from drifted gullies and bowls. Danger level 3: CONSIDERABLE. Snowdrift situation.”
snow report
All very well for you all in or going to Austria !! Please can we have an update for the Western Alps, snow forecast for next week looks to be decreasing ??
snow conditions
thunderer wrote:
All very well for you all in or going to Austria !! Please can we have an update for the Western Alps, snow forecast for next week looks to be decreasing ??

Yes please.
ski holidays
Tell me if I’m wrong but looks like the forecasts are now more beneficial for NorthWest France now on Tuesday / Wednesday?
snow report

The snow situation has developed not necessarily to France’s advantage.
snow conditions
@nozawaonsen, can’t you just lie !!
snow report
@thunderer, looks better on ECM.
latest report
@nozawaonsen, that’s great news
ski holidays
Dry are a bone as far as one can see in Madonna go campiglio. Fly out in 3 weeks. Only want a dusting to make it all white. Oh well. It is what it is I guess.
snow report
We started heading out this morning, but the snow is coming down so fast that they can't keep the roads clear and we ended up turning back. I'm expecting it to be worse tomorrow, so I guess that's my weekend back on the sofa Sad
snow conditions
We head to Val Thorens tomorrow, consoled slightly by the fact that we have 18 ski days.

Fingers crossed for snow at some point on the trip though....
ski holidays
Very powdery in Saalbach. Not that windy yet. Not many people...
ski holidays
Three weeks until the pre-BB. Help!
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Very powdery in Saalbach. Not that windy yet. Not many people...

I just hope we can get there! Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
enjoy the epicness in the east.....GFS is usual 2 steps to east, 1 step back to the west on the 06z shuffle. ICON /ECM keep the faith.....the latter on Bergfex suggesting 50-60cm next week in NW alps. Whereas GFS 00z said 10-20cm followed by rain next weekend to 1500m. Depends which line you pick snowHead

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 5-01-19 11:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@scotspikey, 3 weeks away and you're already pessimistic? Much too far away to be saying that - especially if you're only looking for a dusting!

Also, for those saying that forecast snow for the NW Alps is decreasing... well yes, but only from the most optimistic forecasts. If you always take the best model run as a benchmark then you're almost always going to be disappointed.

In reality, the current forecasts (on GFS) aren't as good for the NW Alps as they were a day or two ago, but they're actually better than was forecast in the days before that. And temperatures are low, which means anything that falls should be snow. FI has been increasingly promising too.
ski holidays
All guidance including the EC and ICON now show more of a glancing blow for the NW Alps next week. Models are significantly further east with the next trof and surface low pressure center than they were a day or so ago, although still well within the envelope of previous ensembles.

There's still a little time to swing more energy down the west side of the trof. Even a small shift west would help, but things are looking slightly less exciting.
ski holidays
8611 wrote:
Interesting stuff! Have flight booked for munich 9pm sunday arrival. Wondering if it would be unwise to pay for my accommodation in advance in case I can't get in. Thinking zell am see. Any high passes on that route does anyone know?

I have a recollection you can get to zillertal valley by train from munich so that might be better bet, but surely train would be affected by so much snow too?

Look for trains from Munich then onward from either Salzburg or from Wörgl (Tirol). As long as it doesn't get to the stage that the lines are blocked you can get pretty close to almost anywhere via those. Zell am See, for example, is physically on the main east-west Austria line and can be accessed from either of those points.

If you take to the roads then I wouldn't head from Salzburg out through Bad Reichenhall and via the 'German Corner' through to Lofer as thats going to be tricky at best. The other routes on from Salzburg via the A10 Tauern Autobahn or from Munich on the A93/E60 via Kustein are autobahn and more likely to be clear. This is looking serious for at least the next 24 hours though, so be prepared for a night in Munich.
latest report
Snowing much heavier in Saalbach now...
snow report
Nice snowstorm ongoing near Munich. Generally 10-15cm OTG throughout the area. But the really good stuff has been staying west, east, and well south for the past few days. Generally pedestrian light to moderate snow but looks very wintry with strong winds and low visibilities. A far cry from the significant event that was occasionally modeled over the past few days, but still a large event for an area that does not typically get a lot of snow. The temperature is near freezing and rising slowly with the radar starting to break up. Localized banding will determine how much more falls in the lowlands today and tonight. Roads are still in passable shape until you get to the foothills. Epic snowstorm ongoing along almost the entire Austrian-German border!
snow conditions
one of my mates has just posted on facebook that innsbruck airport is shut and he is stuck there .
latest report
@tim000, yep flights from and to Innsbruck cancelled or diverted. Many road closures too including as far East as Vienna (A21 closed in both directions).
snow report
have fun picking random webcams
https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/webcams/

like this one
https://www.bergfex.com/hohentauern/webcams/c12535/
or
https://www.bergfex.com/seefeld-gschwandtkopf/webcams/c6501/
ski holidays
Live snow from rohrmoos just above schladming. Dumping again
http://webcam.schuetterhof.com/view/view.shtml?id=4831&imagepath=%2Fmjpg%2Fvideo.mjpg&size=1
latest report
Some good high def webcams on here. Also shows rather starkly the difference being north of the main ridge makes in this seemingly endless nordstau...

https://www.foto-webcam.eu
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:
Snowing much heavier in Saalbach now...

Just got off phone with guide who suggested most of saalbach closed due to wind today - that the case?

He also in effect told me there was no chance of off piste during the coming days due to avalanche risk

Kind of wondering should I head east from munich now instead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy