Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The All New 18/19 Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Snowmageddon warnings for Austria https://warnungen.zamg.at/html/de/morgen/alle/at/ Toofy Grin
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@sbooker, that’s too broad a question really. This weekend there will be strong winds and blizzard conditions in much of Austria. If you fancy that take your pick. How are you getting around and where are you coming into? If you really want lots of fresh snow then head for Austria. That said the Dolomites should get a bit of fresh and look pretty fine in the sunshine.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sbooker wrote:
Weather gurus - advice needed please.
I’m due to head to the Dolomites tomorrow. The forecast shows high winds and no snow. I’m thinking there will be a lot of lifts shut.
Is there somewhere in Austria that I could divert to that would be less windy? The fresh snow would also be a bonus.

No expert but looking at forecasts everywhere in Austria will be snowing a lot, but heaviest to east of Innsbruck. Going west from there may have less severe weather but plenty of snow there already. Arlberg, Ischgl, Sölden etc.

That snowmageddon link 2 up shows what I am saying. Go to western end of Austria.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sbooker wrote:
I’m due to head to the Dolomites tomorrow. The forecast shows high winds and no snow. I’m thinking there will be a lot of lifts shut.
Is there somewhere in Austria that I could divert to that would be less windy? The fresh snow would also be a bonus.

The resorts in the Salzburg area are getting the most snow at the moment.
The forecast for Saalbach or Kitzbuhel for example aren't looking too windy either.

https://www.bergfex.com/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang/wetter/prognose/
https://www.bergfex.com/kitzbuehel-kirchberg/wetter/prognose/
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The snow here is quite mental at the moment. We had a great early season last season but I don't recall this much snowfall in such a short space of time. I can't even see my balcony! snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
8611 wrote:
Bergfex reporting one meter of fresh on the Nordkette, but I assume that's some kind of anomaly and not actually accurate, most other places around 40 - 50cm:

https://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/

Nope Very Happy Nordkette always does exceptionally well in a Nordstau, as its big flat wall is perfectly positioned to trap the clouds and wring every last drop of snow out of them (why Bergfex had been predicting about double the snow there compared to everywhere else nearby). So for example, even when it was sunny again in the city yesterday Nordkette was still wreathed in clouds and being snowed on.

VERY aggressive bombing going on up there now! They didn't open at all yesterday due to avi danger, and even closed some of the footpaths around the base (base of the mountain, not base of the ski area!). GF just got back from a run and said they're even bombing low down, which is pretty unusual. Some of the bigger slides, particularly wet slides in spring, can run a surprisingly long way down a series of galleys towards the city.

EDIT: that 101cm of new snow is at the mid-station at 1900m too. Hafelekar at 2334m will be epic when they manage to get it open! Suspect it won't be til after this weekend though.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 4-01-19 8:59; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GFS seems to have dialled back on the snow for next week in western alps, booo!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Crikey. Due to arrive in Obergurgl tomorrow, going to spend tonight awake worrying about getting into and out of Innsbruck and if we'll get much skiing done this week. Shouldn't really complain about too much snow though!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@totaltwirl, shouldn't be any issues at Innsbruck. Roads are cleared already etc. Might be worth thinking about skiing down in Hoch Ötz for some trees though!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
sbooker wrote:

If I remember from your other thread, you would be driving over the from the Italian side? In which case, you are unlikely to have winter tyres on your car - which will be mandatory (legally and practically) in Austria this weekend. Something to bear in mind!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Russeh wrote:

Same for the Dolomites!! Whilst increasing the amounts over Austria!!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jimmybog wrote:
Russeh wrote:

Same for the Dolomites!! Whilst increasing the amounts over Austria!!

Not sure if its up to date this morning but ECM still on board and that tends to be more accurate i'm led to believe.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm loving the latest Bergfex forecast... I know it's a 9 day forecast etc etc, but guess who is arriving in Ischgl the day after possiblty a metre of snow may have stopped falling and the sun may have come out...

https://www.bergfex.com/ischgl/wetter/berg/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Super light fluffy powder in Saalbach. Snowing hard.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@totaltwirl,
I have to be honest with you. Looking at the forecast (TAF) for Innsbruck airport tomorrow and the minima for runway 26 I’ll be amazed if you get in. Munich isn’t that far away though although that looks equally snowy!
Might be a long day but worth it I’m sure when you get there.
ski holidays
zzz wrote:
@totaltwirl,
I have to be honest with you. Looking at the forecast (TAF) for Innsbruck airport tomorrow and the minima for runway 26 I’ll be amazed if you get in. Munich isn’t that far away though although that looks equally snowy!

I hope Salzburg can keep things clear tomorrow, I thought it was set to turn to sleet/rain at lower levels tomorrow as the warm front moves in.
snow conditions
zzz wrote:
@totaltwirl,

Thanks for that, at least I know now to pack plenty of food and reading material - just gotta get stuck in! I'm just praying it's not too windy next week but not much I can do about it, will go on the hunt for trees (thanks to the person who suggested Hochoetz!) and use it as an excuse to book another last minute trip next month Laughing
ski holidays
@MattHugo81

“Overnight EC Monthly goess 'full on' with blocking to the NW of the UK with low pressure to the E through 2nd half of Jan and into early Feb. N or NE'lies possible. EC Monthly has been poor by week 3 and 4 of late, but the prediction fits in nicely with overall expectations.“

https://twitter.com/matthugo81/status/1081085095971295232?s=21
ski holidays
nozawaonsen wrote:
Super light fluffy powder in Saalbach. Snowing hard.

Enjoy!!

Heading east this evening after I get out of work. Anticipating an interesting drive!
latest report
nozawaonsen wrote:
@MattHugo81

“Overnight EC Monthly goess 'full on' with blocking to the NW of the UK with low pressure to the E through 2nd half of Jan and into early Feb. N or NE'lies possible. EC Monthly has been poor by week 3 and 4 of late, but the prediction fits in nicely with overall expectations.“

https://twitter.com/matthugo81/status/1081085095971295232?s=21

What would this mean for nw french alps?
ski holidays
staffsan wrote:

What would this mean for nw french alps?

I think it increases the likelihood that cold(and possibly snowy) weather from the N and NE will affect the whole of the northern alps rather than, at present, just the eastern end.

Basically the blocking high pressure moving out to the west will then allow the cold weather to flood in from the North/North east.

This could presumably also affect the UK as well as the Alps if the High pressure moves as far west as predicted?
latest report
Russeh wrote:

On Bergfex it's now basically a non-event.
ski holidays
@Ptspeak, depends where in the western alps, further north have better odds mid week, then the low drops further south towards northern Italy. ICON 6z actually moved the pattern further west, whereas GFS backed off a little to the east. Still looks good to me, but 4-5 days away so the numbers will shift around.

In any case, the much bigger potential comes later....background signals continue to deliver, or even improve. One example being the SSW wind reversal at the top of the strat is now predicted to last 2-3 weeks. The longer the winds stay easterly the more likely the impacts will be felt lower down. EC46 charts (link posted last week) show a strong signal for Greenland highs thru Jan, lows over UK / northern europe. Here's the weekly version for week 3 ( jan 21-28 ) . Week 4 is similar. All FI as said, but nice to have in the background.

And GFS and FV3 also going with the same mid Jan theme with this current high pressure getting toppled by increasing westerly flow, and high pressure building behind out to the NW. Could get something like this around 16th Jan.

A bit too good to be true if it works out like that. But nice to see these ideas showing up in the mid range models.
snow report
polo wrote:

A bit too good to be true if it works out like that. But nice to see these ideas showing up in the mid range models.

Depends what you mean by "too good to be true"...I'm going to Austria in a week and too good to be true to me means the snow already there, maybe some more (as forecast), but it stops for 6 days of sunny days when I'm there!
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
polo wrote:

Depends what you mean by "too good to be true"...I'm going to Austria in a week and too good to be true to me means the snow already there, maybe some more (as forecast), but it stops for 6 days of sunny days when I'm there!

Snap.

(Although I'll take some overnight top-ups while we're there).
snow conditions
porkpiefox wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
polo wrote:

Snap.

No, sorry, I like early morning corduroy; overnight top ups mogul up too easily on piste.
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:

No, sorry, I like early morning corduroy; overnight top ups mogul up too easily on piste.

Sacrilege

Heresy

Burn him at the stake of the weather update thread
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
porkpiefox wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
polo wrote:

Snap.

Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Slight sense of calm before the storm. Not too snowy in Saalbach right now.

A10 over the Tauern pass was apparently closed for a while this afternoon as they carried out avalanche control work to protect the road (and could be closed again on Sunday if as much snow as forecast falls).

The military in Styria have been put on standby to carry out aerial reconnaissance and avalanche control.

Tourists have been fleeing Obertauern ahead of the storm.

https://www.sn.at/salzburg/chronik/schneechaos-obertauern-urlauber-fluechten-scharenweise-vor-schneemassen-63482845
ski holidays
things have improved a little on snow forecast for Tignes for mid next week
ski holidays
porkpiefox wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:
polo wrote:

Snap.

+2
snow report
mk28 wrote:
things have improved a little on snow forecast for Tignes for mid next week

Yes things have improved since the outlook 2 or 3 days ago but recent runs are actually slightly less snowy than yesterday. At least it looks like something for that part of the French Alps.
snow conditions
LWD Salzburg warning of masssive snowfall 70-120cm over Saturday and Sunday. Warning of natural avalanches with heavier snow falling on todaysnd yesterdays light powder. Calling on people to stay on piste and avoid driving if possible. Caution that avalanche risk could rise to 5 later on Sunday.
snow conditions
Where to book 5 hours from Geneva on Monday night? Thinking Andermatt or Montafon for less avi danger due to the lower snow accumulation.
ski holidays
@nozawaonsen, there was quite a bit of evidence of natural slab movememt on fairly benign slopes at around 1600-2000m which could be seen from the chairlift today. We had freezing fog yesterday plus heavy snowfall before and after. This was around the Rastkogel area at Mayrhofen. Lots of tracks off piste. It’s snowing heavily again now and due to snow for the next couple of days. All the warnings are being shown by the resort management for high avi risk but so many seen without packs etc.
ski holidays
Awesome powder at zauchansee today, very deep, very fluffy. Not all open due to avi risk. A10 autobahn was closed for a bit for avi control. Was pumping it down in schladming when i returned late afternoon and still is. Early drive to Salzburg tomorrow for a flight, a tad worried flights may struggle due to wind and vis but currently my flight should make it just before it gets bad, according to a pilot friend of mine.
snow report
Military in Tirol on alert too. And the Avalanche train is being prepped in Innsbruck.

These areas could reach avalanche level 5 by the end of the weekend. Karwendel, Rofan, Kitzbüheler Alpen, the Zillertaler and the Tauernhauptkamm.
snow conditions

Despite all the snow that has fallen in the last week in Austria ECM still suggesting over two metres more to come over next 10 days.

And fresh snow further west on ECM as well.
snow report
nozawaonsen wrote:

Despite all the snow that has fallen in the last week in Austria ECM still suggesting over two metres more to come over next 10 days.

And fresh snow further west on ECM as well.

Is that suggesting about a metre around mt blanc? Blush
ski holidays
@staffsan 60-70cm around Mt Blanc (look where the French / Italian border is).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy