Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2018/19 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc etc etc

Poster: A snowHead
What a difference a day makes! Great powder on piste; very few people out and forecast to brighten this afternoon. Cool

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Absolutely brilliant morning. Zero wind, but poor viz with the odd glimmer of sunlight for a few seconds.
Snow is glorious, boot deep and spraying over the thighs off piste.
Mont Valon was closed this morning.

I got the very first run under Cote Brun, untracked all the way but it was pretty similar on piste with less sniper bumps under the pow, hardly anyone around though. Fresh tracks on another 2 laps. It was deep enough to get a nice landing off the cliff on the lookers right half way up the chair. So stoked. Bluebird tomorrow!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sadly driving back now to Geneva but snow has fallen to Moutier
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Layne wrote:
Otherworld wrote:
We’re flying to Geneva and renting a car. It won’t have winter tyres (Avis don’t provide them after 1st April), but we have the option of bringing chains if we ask for them on pick-up. I presume that would be wise?

Forecast is for clear and sunny tomorrow so that should mean all the roads are cleared. Saturday looks clear of snow until much later in the day and even then it's just a few cm's forecast.

I would say you will be OK without chains.

Thanks, that’s what I’m thinking too.

On one shoulder, there’s an angelic little character whispering in my ear, “You ought to rent those chains when you pick the car up, you never know what might happen.”
On the other shoulder, the avatar of my inner Yorkshireman snarls, “£28 for a set of chains that you’ll probably not need, you’ve got to be kidding!”
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gravity-slave wrote:
Absolutely brilliant morning. Zero wind, but poor viz with the odd glimmer of sunlight for a few seconds.
Snow is glorious, boot deep and spraying over the thighs off piste.
Mont Valon was closed this morning.

I got the very first run under Cote Brun, untracked all the way but it was pretty similar on piste with less sniper bumps under the pow, hardly anyone around though. Fresh tracks on another 2 laps. It was deep enough to get a nice landing off the cliff on the lookers right half way up the chair. So stoked. Bluebird tomorrow!

Sounds superb - enjoy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks!

Another epic day. Pure bluebird. Over boot deep powder and plenty of fresh tracks.

Dropped off Saulire ridge into an untracked gully and had nice snow all the way down.
Headed back picking up freshies off the side, few laps with my new mini skier then back out and lovely fresh snow all the way down Mont Valon.

Took a massive core shot out my skis so it's not bottomless. Sad

Pistes starting to firm up again but conditions still stunning for April, or any time to be honest.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Otherworld wrote:
Layne wrote:
Otherworld wrote:
We’re flying to Geneva and renting a car. It won’t have winter tyres (Avis don’t provide them after 1st April), but we have the option of bringing chains if we ask for them on pick-up. I presume that would be wise?

Forecast is for clear and sunny tomorrow so that should mean all the roads are cleared. Saturday looks clear of snow until much later in the day and even then it's just a few cm's forecast.

I would say you will be OK without chains.

Thanks, that’s what I’m thinking too.

On one shoulder, there’s an angelic little character whispering in my ear, “You ought to rent those chains when you pick the car up, you never know what might happen.”
On the other shoulder, the avatar of my inner Yorkshireman snarls, “£28 for a set of chains that you’ll probably not need, you’ve got to be kidding!”

I drove from La Thuile to Geneva last night, even in heavy snow the roads were fine, the tarmac is much warmer this time of the year.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Suprised that Avis won't have winter tyres even if you request? We're also picking up a rental at Geneva tomorrow from Budget, we put in a request for it to have winter tyres and they said no problem.

Had the same dilemma over chains - left it as late as possible but put a request for them a couple of days ago. We're off to VT which is obviously high, so thought better safe than sorry.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Anyone got a good supermarche to get chains from in Moutiers just in case ?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If Carlsberg did ski days...

Wow! What a day in Val Thorens. Sunny with a foot of powder and fresh tracks all day! Very Happy

We spent the day using only Moutiere and Grand Fond lifts and it was incredible. We were still getting untracked runs off the Grand Fond at 4.45 pm and had the place to ourselves.

Probably one of our best ever ski days! I'm still on a high now! Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 5-04-19 18:58; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
orange,

Even though it dumped with snow the roads in Val Thorens remained largely clear. The snow only lay on the road for a very short time and, once ploughed, melted rapidly.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sweet. Thanks
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agreed re. VT, fresh snow, blue skies, cold air temps, empty pistes. Can’t remember a better days skiing.unfortunately we are currently stuck at Geneva with a four hour flight delay to Gatwick. Ours is just one of many EasyJet flights with problems this evening.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@snowhound, that doesn’t sound fun, hope you’re not too delayed.

What’s the issue with easyjet flights tonight?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Very very windy today at Val T.

Great snow, though, and the place is deserted. We are, however, doing our best to avoid chairlifts as it's biting cold.

Luckily the wind is behind us on most runs. wink
snow report

Strong gusts through the day with various lifts going on and off but some great snow still to be found.
A few more cm forecast tomorrow.
snow report
Arrived in VT late last night (easyJet flight an hour late - grrr), and woken to a low vis day. Going to stay local and keep it mellow for day one - will there be better contrast available on any runs towards LM , or any other suggestions?
ski holidays
In VT as well and it’s inside of a ping pong ball day. Take kids out for a gentle spin around. All good, 5cm new and snowing gently
ski holidays
Hi. Anyone in Les Menuires? We’re heading there next Saturday. Forecasts are mentioning fresh snowfall next week (prays)
ski holidays
Snowing on and off for most most of the day in the Meribel valley. At times quite wet snow lower down.

Currently falling as proper snow in Meribel Village so should be a nice top us on the pistes.

Skiied all round Meribel and Courchevel today and no queues. Seems quieter than previous Easter’s.
snow report
Blue skies in VT at the moment, fingers crossed it lasts!
ski holidays
Heading out on Saturday and looking at possible accom options.

How are the runs down to Meribel Village and Les Menuires Bettex holding up?
snow conditions
Will be in VT for the family bash next week. Is it worth getting a full 3V pass? Normally wouldn't bother this late in the season.
latest report
Woooft first tracks down the back into Orelle. Super powder hour, gone off big time now but pistes A1
snow report
Two weeks ago I was in Courchevel 1650. Skied all 3V area daily.It was sunny and warm, but everything was pleasant till lunch. A bit boiler plate at the beginning of the day, but perfectly doable.
I see that the last couple of days were colder plus some fresh snow. So intuitively I would say yes. I love the Mt. Valon red pistes and I enjoy mileage, so I would pay the extra (it was 30 more to go from Courchevel ski pass to 3V)
ski holidays
@Gazzza, just got back to the apartment in mottaret. We skied down the pic blue which was a soft but not too churned up at 3pm but further down was hideous. The doron was just horrendous very soft and slushy and mogully. We skied down and got the tougnette 1 and downloaded the green into mottaret and that was also just hideous. I pity one week skier (I am a very nervous cruisey blue skier) it was not fun but it has been very warm today so maybe under different conditions better. We also did creux at 1pm which I am never going down again. That should be a red! Couldn't wait to get off that! Gonna try val thorens side tomorrow. That's if I can walk. My thighs are aching fighting with my snowplough down the moguls. Everytime I tried to do a parallel turn the moguls were that big I couldn't get my legs together. It was not a pretty site! Apart from that there seems to be plenty snow cover. I guess we just got the "follow the sun" wrong
ski holidays
@Gazzza, we went down the Hulotte piste today to get a last burger at the Lac Bleu restaurant, unfortunately that is now closed. The Hulotte is half the width of last week as they have scraped the snow from one side to the other. No idea what the Lapin is like further down into Meribel Village but the Golf chair was running. We downloaded from Saulire mid station to the Chaudanne.

The Bettex piste in Menuires is still open and is okay in the morning. In the afternoon it was really sticky like the Pic Blue back from Col de Loze mentioned by Polo99. If I were you I would not be looking at accommodation in Bettex.

Most slopes above about 2000m are fine, just avoid the south or west facing ones.
snow conditions
Lapin was fine at 11am this morning. Morel was very firm but cover not too bad. Conditions for this time of year are really pretty good. Going to be boilerplate first thing tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
polo99 wrote:
@Gazzza, We also did creux at 1pm which I am never going down again. That should be a red! Couldn't wait to get off that!

Creux is best skiied in the morning this time of year and is busy and gets chopped up. You may be interested to know that it was indeed a red until about 5 years ago!
snow report
Polo99, from my own personal experience I can promise you that if you will continue skiing and will return to Creux in a few years, you will enjoy it immensely, winter or spring.
I will always remember blue piste#5 in Bansko, red Plagnette/Tefes in Les Arcs 2000 or black Trolles in Tignes Le Lac. They were first a nightmare, nowadays a pleasure to speed through.
One of the great satisfactions in skiing is returning to former hard pistes, only to find them easy to cruise through. And Creux is the very piste to teach you and to take you to good places in Courchevel area, up and down
latest report
@polo99, for cruisy blues in the morning try the Faon and Choucas pistes above Meribel which will get the sun earlier on.
snow report
We are trying val thorens tomorrow. Going up plattieres first thing
ski holidays
We headed over to VT this morning whilst kids were at ski school.

Solid re-freeze last night so Mrs C was not impressed with VT slopes as most we skied were still boilerplate @ 10-11am.

Lapin down to Meribel Village still very nice @ 1230 and still not too bad @ 345pm when kids wanted to go swimming
latest report
Raining now at 1600 in Meribel. Tomorrow morning could be interesting.
ski holidays
Portette and Thorens were epically chalky even at 1pm today. Beautiful. Skiing is def nicer on that aspect. Dropping down to Folie Deuce was heinous earlier. Vallon was nice early doors as well, Campagnol first as sun came round, slow transformation. Snow is all over the place as you’d expect this time of year. Light snow in VT now , bordering on sleet.

Edit: Now turned to heavy snow at 8pm ⛷
ski holidays
We skied from top of plattieres to mont de le chambre then to val thorens on the mint de la chambre. If you are a nervous skier this is a hideous run. It started off really nice then it all went to pot. It was very (I want to say icy, but don't think that it was ice but it was solid with no cover). I think I said to my hubby I am not coming down here again. However the runs in val thorens were quite OK. There wasn't much churned up and they were holding well. The runs did seem packed over here though. I would like to go back but I don't want to ski down that horrible run. Is there another way? (on blues) maybe going via meribel? Also my son is desperate to do a black run, are there any "easy" ones in any of the valleys?
ski holidays
Where is the best place to stay in apartment in Les Menuires. Need free on road parking, good ski in/ski out access and reasonable access to a Sherpa or equivalent. I've stayed in Les Bruyerres (L'Adonis) once which I don't recall as being too bad. Anywhere better or similar? Anywhere to avoid?
ski holidays
@polo99, Do you mean you skied from the top of Plattiers 3 to the Mont de la Chambre chair? That would involve going down the red Allamands. Or did you go from top of Plattiers 1 to Cote Brune and then skied to the Mont de la Chambre run?
If it was the Mont de la Chambre run you did not like then try Pluviometre the next blue across which is a nicer run.
With all the cloud tonight the runs will not freeze as hard tonight and conditions tomorrow will be more like Monday.
It terms of "easy" blacks they tend to only groom them every third or fourth night so if you catch them the day after they have been groomed then they are much nicer. The easiest ones in the Meribel valley are Sanglier or Ecureuil. In the Courchevel valley then Suisses.
latest report
@polo99, you can go to VT from the top of Plat 1 down to Cote Brune chair and then cut across directly to VT, Plumivontre (sp) is one of my favourites and a blue, or head a little further on to VT and down Goitschel black avoiding the top bit, which I think you can only do on the 3 Vallees chair side anyway would give you an easy'ish black if done early in the morning
latest report
@stevew, thank you. Is the pluviometre easier than mont de la chamber? Also can you get there any other way? {on blues)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy