Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2018/19 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc etc etc

Poster: A snowHead
offpisteskiing wrote:
It has been really rather good this week!

It has, hasn’t it.

After enduring so many ski trips with rain, unseasonally warm temps and whole resort shutdowns due to wind I feel this week so far has been pretty satisfying weather wise. It also helps that everywhere looks so wintery and pretty at the moment with the snowy trees. Shame I’m not skiing at my best and have a couple of niggly injuries but hey, you can’t have everything.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another amazing day yesterday.

Awesome powder on piste in the morning on the run down from Bouc Blanc into 1850. Vis wasn’t great but the powder made up for it.

We then pushed on over to VT via Meribel Centre and what a stunning day it turned into. Albeit very cold. We got up to the summit above VT via the Lory run and the two slow chairs. Freezing cold, but totally worth it. Blue skies, pistes virtually deserted and in great condition.

Bit of a rush on the way back and got the very last lift out of Meribel Mottaret so cruised down the blues into 1850, down to La Praz and chalet host picked us up to go back to La Tania.

Awesome day, covered some distance but made the evenings raclette even better.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does anyone know of guided group off-piste from Les M? Looking at a last minute trip next week but want to make sure I can join a group first. Oxygene steep & deep is all I've found at the moment but they don't have space and won't allow snowboarders.

Cheers...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@lavaredo, welcome to snowheads. I was in meribel and found a couple of options

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=140419&highlight=
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting from latania.co.uk. Wonder what maintaining the pistes means?? Hopefully they won't piste them and thus tourers could get some nice snow in a fairly safe/controlled area??

The Caron cable car in Val Thorens is closed for the season. Cables have been damaged when it was operated with an unusual build up of ice and will need to be replaced this Summer. Pistes will be maintained for ski touring use.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 31-01-19 22:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski,

Thanks for the update.

Bad news about the Cimes de Caron though Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@lavaredo The Ski Club of Great Britain are running Instructor Led Guiding Off Piste sessions out of Meribel and VT next week. There are currently two places available on the Tuesday, half day outing from Meribel run by New Generation and two places on the Tuesday, half day outing from VT run by Evolution 2. https://www.skiclub.co.uk/france/resorts/val-thorens/instructor-led-guiding . £20 for members or £40 for non members. You need to book on-line in advance. the sessions start at 9.30 am, so you should be able to get to them in time, if you get on the first lift. N.B. the avalanche warning is currently 4/5 (5/5 in some areas) with more snow forecast this weekend https://henrysavalanchetalk.com/avalanche-risk-5-on-friday-1st-feb-2019/?fbclid=IwAR1kyGkZnSkEaqzru9M8I7l3Ca6-Ddaw2kn94gXCUEu_Is_c1GihweytIJo
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike S wrote:
@lavaredo ...

Thanks for the info, but I'm booked into UCPA Argentiere now instead.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bergmeister wrote:
kitenski,

Thanks for the update.

Bad news about the Cimes de Caron though Sad
damn the year we stay in VT
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

Fabulous conditions in Courchevel on Wednesday afternoon.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Been a superb week here in Courchvel, snowed loads and been pretty cold and Light. Avi risk has been up at 4 a few times though. Care always required.
Snowing hard as I type. If you are arriving this week you are in for a good one. Just booked to come out at the end of the season again!!
Roll on April. Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Still snowing hard up here in Mottaret as well Very Happy

Sadly my trip has been slightly marred by the return of my boot problems. I only lasted until about 10.30 this morning before the pain got the better of me Sad

I’ve visited one recommended place in Meribel to buy a new pair but it seems at size 22 I have limited choice. If anyone has any suggestions of somewhere to go in Meribel or Mottaret it would be appreciated.

Plan B is to hire boots but obviously this isn’t ideal.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Raven, I think the bootlab has been recommended by others?? https://thebootlab.co.uk/boot-fitting/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
@Raven, I think the bootlab has been recommended by others?? https://thebootlab.co.uk/boot-fitting/

Thanks, but that’s where I’ve already been today. Stupid midget feet!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sport Boutique in Meribel centre have a great boot fitter. Don't know how much choice they will have in a 22 but if they have something they will fit it well.
latest report
snowrider wrote:
Sport Boutique in Meribel centre have a great boot fitter. Don't know how much choice they will have in a 22 but if they have something they will fit it well.

Thanks Snowrider. I might give them a visit.
ski holidays
dan100,

Disappointing - but still plenty of other runs/lifts to go at! wink
snow report
Can anyone please tell me whether it is possible to ski down to Bozel at the moment?
ski holidays
@Mike S, up the thread somone reported skiing down to Brides within the past week. With further snow since then, Bozel might be similar.
latest report
@ecureuil Thanks. Saw people skiing down to Brides today. Couldn't see much skiing higher up!
snow conditions
@Mike S, yes, tons of snow all the way down...
snow conditions
@offpisteskiing Thanks for the information.
latest report
Watching yesterday’s French tv news on replay looks like roads were chaotic and people stranded overnight in gyms?
latest report
@CourchGal, I got out of Les Arcs with no fuss it was the fog at Geneva which caused issues for my trip, assuming this wasn't in the Tarentaise?
snow conditions
Minion1980 wrote:
@CourchGal, I got out of Les Arcs with no fuss it was the fog at Geneva which caused issues for my trip, assuming this wasn't in the Tarentaise?

Same, got out of 3V okay but things got trickier close to Grenoble airport. There was a group camped on the airport floor with foil blankets but not sure what their story was.
snow report
Some advice please

My brother is staying in Val Thorens for the week so I'm thinking of driving over from Grenoble to take the cable car from Orelle.

I'm hoping to get my ski pass first thing and try and get up on the cable car.

Does the ski pass open around 8.30am?
If he is skiing over from Val Thorens any good meeting points for us?
Is there a cafe/ bakery near ski pass office in case I arrive early?
Is the parking free?

Thanks in advance for any info.
snow report
Love this mention of skiing down to Brides as always wanted to but conditions never been right. Previously someone posted the route -is it really obvious or could anyone who has gone it recently kindly post landmarks?
ski holidays
@Alpinebear, will be easy for you. Yes opens early - think the cable car opens at 8:30 at weekends now. If weather is good then get there early if you need to buy a pass as the queue can be long on a weekend with locals / Italians.

Yes a cafe right by the lift pass kiosk. Ski hire there as well

He could meet you at the top of the Rosael lift at the top of Orelle. He will need to get the Grand Fond up and ski down - it’s only 300m

You could get your ski pass online in advance and take out the risk of a queue - rare but frustrating when it happens !
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@alti - dude,

Thanks for the info. I can't buy online as workers of other stations need to take their contract and/or pay slip to get a pass.
We will probably meet up on Tuesday so hopefully not too busy.
Any recommendations for a bite to eat at lunch? Nothing special just a quick half hour stop.
snow report
Very windy today with little open above Plantrey/Biolley/Roc Mugnier level (and even there it was pretty wild at times), but that is when Courchevel is at its best in my opinion, the tree skiing was on top form today!

Looks like blue skies for the rest of the week now...
ski holidays
Heading down tomorrow -save some snow for me!!
snow conditions
From one extreme to the other this past week, -10 and hiding in the trees on Monday, to +10 and avoiding wet slides on Friday. There is still rgeat snow to be had in the shade despite the mild temperatures though!

Meteofrance still have nothing but blue in the long range forecast!
ski holidays
Any update on conditions? I'm flying out on Sunday, from the weather forecast it looks like skiing in tee shirts, and spring snow off piste?
snow conditions
Pistes still excellent (yes really!), though I’m not sure what the even higher temps will do over the next 4 days. Mushy low down in afternoons on south facing slopes. Skied down Jockeys to Le Praz twice yesterday at noon and it was great. Can’t speak for the off piste really-chalky bumps in shade or teeth rattling crust at the moment I think.
latest report
Any snowHead in the Masse 2 gondola yesterday - I see in the local paper that 120 people had to be rescued afternoon after a major failure.
ski holidays
I am currently enjoying my mid-season 'off week', but as of Sunday:

Pistes were still in pretty good shape - a few firm patches coming through in the usual places (bottom of Dou des Lanches black and so on) - groomed pistes first thing have been primo. Sunny slopes siftening nicely in the afternoon too, the ski down to Bozel on Sunday at about 14:00 was in perfect softening spring conditions...

Off piste was still fun last week, a minimum of walking could still access fun cold snow in the shade, and sunny slopes were into a good freeze/thaw cycle, so if you can get away from old ski tracks there is good spring snow to be had too...

Crowds actually weren't too bad (at least in Courchevel - stayed well away from the Chaudanne which always seems to be mayhem even on quiet weeks...) - Thursday and Friday it seemed like some people had given up skiing and gone home??

Didn't take many pics last week, but here is one from Thursday...
latest report
That looks like vallon de la sache?
latest report
@andy1234, It's an awfully long way from there to the Sache (considering the photo is in Courch and the Sache is in Tignes..!)!

But its better than the Sache as the approach is a shade longer so keeps the hordes away... Happy
snow conditions
@offpisteskiing, that pic the Grand Couloir maybe?
ski holidays
Off piste on Saturday late morning, off the back of La Masse, was beautiful - soft snow and a wide open bowl, even though there were lots of tracks. Yesterday morning we went off piste from the Olympic lift down into St Martin, that was much more crusty and a bit teeth-rattling but still really fun. We had a picnic in the sun on some rocks over what looked like an old dairy farm, absolutely spectacular morning.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy