Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 3 Vallées 2018/19 - Courchevel, Meribel, Val Thorens etc etc etc

Poster: A snowHead
@Bergmeister, I’ll be in VT from the 5th Jan for 2 weeks. I’ll do my Magic Snow Dance to open the snow clouds for us ❄️❄️❄️
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pleased to report that the upper runs (ie Creux, Suisse and Parc City) in Courcheval were freshly pisted and in great condition this morning. Even Niverolle and Aigle, on the Meribel side, were far less hard and icy than they have been and were quite enjoyable to ski.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Mike S, any bumps around ?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hello I’m looking to hire ski equipment in La Tania, was looking to use alpinresorts.com, but they only offer 1 option :- White Storm La Tania.

Anybody had experience using them ? Should I have a problem using them?

Thanks all
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skimottaret not where I have been. I usually try to avoid them! The top of Combe du Vallon looked a bit mogully but I didn't go down that way, as it was in the shade and the light was pretty flat.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@skimottaret, some nice ones down the Grand Couloir !
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A good day despite some pretty hard pistes in places. Headed up to VT from St M with the team and our “beginnner” who is exceeding all expectations and making controlled linked turns, semi parallel, down blue runs. Snow down from top of Grand Fond was fab, and a couple of us did two circuits with enough space to carve wide turns. It was pretty busy however and I’m not relishing tomorrow once all the masses get out on the slopes. Lots of idiots with no control blasting about. The forecast suggests things are going to get pretty ropey by the end of the week. Take care everyone!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Howdy all. I’m in VT from the 12th. Given there is no indication of any great snowfall currently (although hoping that changes!!!!) just wanted to ask what the piste conditions are like in VT?

Not been to VT before.....have been to Mottaret previously and found the pistes can get very sketchy when no new snowfall.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Pistes were in good shape yesterday with some nice snow high up. Hard but generally well covered, below about 2000m there are shiny bits which offer little grip, even with new edges.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mike S, @alti - dude, thanks good to know. fancy a few bumps if the off piste is gonna be rubbish..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from 3V and have to say they're doing a fantastic job of keeping the pistes in good nick. Some of them are a lost cause so they've closed them to concentrate on the others which is the correct call IMO. Virtually zero off piste skiing going on, in fact dropping down into Les Menuires from Meribel it looked like boiler plate ice whilst the piste was nice. I got a photo but uploading on here is way too faffy.

They're ready for some fresh stuff now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skimottaret There were some serious bumps by the side of the 3 Vallees chair, coming out of VT, this afternoon, which you might like. I found that all the pistes that I skied today, having headed over to La Masse and into VT for a change, were firm, icy and pretty crowded. However, it was nice and sunny. Cool Happy New Year!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Couldn't agree more. https://www.latania.co.uk/blog/2019/01/01/definitely-worth-getting-up-early-for-first-lifts-this-morning/?fbclid=IwAR0-JpmIIcEkTwCl75NITboJMlxXxONuLVX4fqDnhVHYIWhJxYvOi9DazmE
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm in Meribel from the 6th for a week. Never been to the 3V before but looking forward to it. Just hope the conditions hold up, I'm feeling nervous!

Will keep checking back here for updates, thanks everyone!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colder today (as in normal early Jan cold rather than Spring temps...!)...
Pistes firm in the main - OK first thing then gradually more scraped (no surprise there) but in the main holding up well considering.
Off piste there is still 'old cold' soft snow to ski if you go looking, and plenty of cold chalkiness if you stay high and North facing.

snow conditions
Evening all,

Getting excited about our trip to La Tania on the 26th. Just hoping for some nice fresh snow to top everything up!

Just a quick question, we normally book lift passes prior to travelling but this year we may have a wonder down into La Tania from our chalet on our arrival afternoon. I assume the lift pass office is where the main lift is in the center of La Tania?
Is there any advantage of booking ahead of time or should we just buy when we arrive? Looks like there isn't any price difference? Is it a particularly busy office? Just that I've seen long queues at pass office's before and don't fancy standing in one after a day of travelling!

Also, our chalet is at the top of the village on Rue du Plan des Fontaines. We will unlikely have a space to park our hire car at the chalet. Am I right in saying that there is free parking in La Tania? Looking at the map, there appears to be one on the way into the village on the left (parking du saz) and then another smaller one on the right further along (parking du formier). How busy are these? Are spaces plentiful or will it be a fight to find one for the week? Looks like about a 10-15 minute walk back up the hill?

Thanks in advance!
snow report
@Fridge03, there won't be queues anywhere on Jan 26th. One of the best weeks to ski (assuming some snow turns up). Ticket office is next to the LT gondola. Minimal queues, probably none in the afternoon. It's a pain to walk to because there's no footpath, much easier on skis. If you're walking, go after you've parked your car in Saz. Walk from the car down to the main road behind the gondola. There's a set of steps up from the main road between the ticket office and the cabinet medical/changing rooms.

Parking du Saz is better. Closer to your chalet and no issue with spaces that week. If you get a dump Saz is downhill to get out of so unlikely to need chains to make the main road. Formier is uphill. I've also seen cars clobbered in Formier and run away from. That's much less likely in Saz because of the wooden barriers between aisles. Has your hire car got winter tyres? You might struggle to get to your chalet without them if the road's hard frozen.
latest report
I'm in 3V from 27th January so good to hear it's quiet then.

All we need now is some nice fresh snow snowHead
ski holidays
Blue skies and cold again today - looks like this is set for the next week or so (maybe some snow on Tues pm??).

Still the mountains are as good looking as ever and there is fun to be had...

snow report
Raceplate wrote:
@Fridge03, there won't be queues anywhere on Jan 26th. One of the best weeks to ski (assuming some snow turns up). Ticket office is next to the LT gondola. Minimal queues, probably none in the afternoon. It's a pain to walk to because there's no footpath, much easier on skis. If you're walking, go after you've parked your car in Saz. Walk from the car down to the main road behind the gondola. There's a set of steps up from the main road between the ticket office and the cabinet medical/changing rooms.

Parking du Saz is better. Closer to your chalet and no issue with spaces that week. If you get a dump Saz is downhill to get out of so unlikely to need chains to make the main road. Formier is uphill. I've also seen cars clobbered in Formier and run away from. That's much less likely in Saz because of the wooden barriers between aisles. Has your hire car got winter tyres? You might struggle to get to your chalet without them if the road's hard frozen.

That's great. Thanks for the info.
We don't have winter tyres as it's not an option from Europcar from Lyon apparently. But will be getting chains or socks on the way. I'll drop the bags off at the chalet (and the passengers I suppose) and then head for Saz. Thank you.
latest report
@Fridge03, parking du Saz def the best option... Hard to believe French hire companies are so backward as to not propose winter tyres (or then again, maybe no surprise..!).

Meanwhile the blue skies and cold conditions continue. Lots of crustiness off piste, but also some patches of very skiable snow if you go looking!

latest report
Just taken a first run and after expecting wall to wall boilerplate, similar say to Cairngorm in 1984 perhaps, but it’s reasonably okay in c1850. Its not this time last year but it’ll do for some piste bashing. My 112’s probably won’t come out of the cupboard unless Tuesday delivers some goods.
snow report
We’re staying in Le Praz at the end of the month and need to rent a car to get to Val d’Isere for a meeting.

Is there a car rental place in Courchevel ?
Google says Europcar have a depot but the Europcar website disagrees.
ski holidays
I often see things uploaded to the wrong place in Google. Looking for instruction on how to get to a pub the other day, Google directed me to a rival establishment half a mile away..
Can’t see that car rental would be a profitable enterprise for a place like Courch’ -prob should look in Albertville
snow conditions
@muppet, have you looked for rental in Moutiers?
ski holidays
Can anyone provide some on the ground piste conditions in Val T? Hearing mixed reviews at the moment with some saying not as icy as being reported on certain websites?
snow report
@Run28, +1 would be good to know also as fly out Saturday for trip to VT. I see from webcams that cannons have been blowing all night since the temps dropped. So hoping that and the tiny sprinkle (which may or may not happen) on Tuesday may freshen the pistes up nicely.
latest report
Drew Carey wrote:
@Run28, +1 would be good to know also as fly out Saturday for trip to VT. I see from webcams that cannons have been blowing all night since the temps dropped. So hoping that and the tiny sprinkle (which may or may not happen) on Tuesday may freshen the pistes up nicely.

Likewise. Should be in resort for 1300 so might even get a few cheeky runs in. I hear the runs down into Meribel etc from the VT side are fairly sketchy but I'd hope the general height of VT will mean the snow has kept in better nick!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Parking Orelle
Does anybody know what the parking situation at the telecabin is in Orelle,
I can see a large carpark on google. Does anybody know if it free, need to leave a car there for a a week. (reposted thought it would be here)
ski holidays
@Run28, I’m there solo for 4 days staying at UCPA, having snowboarded on icy pistes in Meribel previously - have no desire to do that again. So hoping the VT pistes are bit better and will also dictate whether I bother upgrading pass to include the whole of 3 valleys or just stay in VT only. Guess will have to wait and see.
snow report
@thunderer, free car park . . . don't think it an issue at all
latest report
based on last week in Les Arcs, snow cannons are making lovely snow due to the cold temps, higher slopes without any cannons were much more scraped.
snow report
Run28 wrote:
Can anyone provide some on the ground piste conditions in Val T? Hearing mixed reviews at the moment with some saying not as icy as being reported on certain websites?

Just back - skiied Saturday am. The piste conditions are much better than I would have expected given so long without snow. It's pretty hard in most places, of course, and lower down it's very hard indeed in places. But higher up piste conditions are good, particularly earlier in the day. Mont Vallon was good on the Meribel side, and most of the pistes in VT (down to resort level) and upper pistes in Orelle are pretty good too. Off piste higher up is ok in places, but choose with care. Lower down - below the level of the rain since the last snow - it is virtually unskiable in most places.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 7-01-19 16:42; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@alti - dude, Thanks
ski holidays
Off to La Tania on Saturday and keeping my fingers crossed that the cold will mean the cannons can do a good job. Or am I being a bit optimistic??
ski holidays
@Lucywuk, think you'll have had some snow by then, so you should be fine. The cannons are more about making sure critical high traffic areas remain skiable I think.
latest report
turbosmurf wrote:
Run28 wrote:

Just back - skiied Saturday am. The piste conditions are much better than I would have expected given so long without snow. It's pretty hard in most places, of course, and lower down it's very hard indeed in places. But higher up piste conditions are good, particularly earlier in the day. Mont Vallon was good on the Meribel side, and most of the pistes in VT (down to resort level) and upper pistes in Orelle are pretty good too. Off piste higher up is ok in places, but choose with care. Lower down - below the level of the rain since the last snow - it is virtually unskiable in most places.

Yeah agreed, just back from NY week and VT is decent. Typically rammed full of questionables but snow conditions are good. Anything below about 1800 or anything that spends the day in the sun is dodgy. More snow today though (dusting at most) and all forecasts point to more in the coming days.
ski holidays
We booked a last minute catered chalet deal in Les Menuires; I tried to suggest Austria to the other half but logistics were tricky and we got a good price. Hoping there's some more snow to come before the 19th.
latest report
After a bit of a blizzard and thick cloud, yesterday, which was pretty unpleasant, we had 30 cm of snow last night. It was back to blue sky and sun today but very cold. Good off-piste skiing to be had

at the top of the Meribel valley.
snow conditions
Heading out to Les Menuires on the 25th, if long term forecasts are correct we may well be driving up in the snow, having never done the drive before, how are the roads normally?

Driving from Geneva so have winter tyres, paid for chains on a 9 seater Vito, which I presume is rear wheel drive. I think we will be fine but some members of our group are worrying, anyone got any reassurance/advice for the drive?!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy