Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Useful kit to take on the slopes...

Poster: A snowHead
... there always seems to be lots of advice on hardware (skis, boots, etc.) but I just wanted some collective wisdom on all the other stuff people take out for a day's skiing.

To get the ball rolling, and at the risk of getting loads of rolling eyes for starting the list sounding like a big girl, I always take out (amongst a lot of other less girly things!):

Body Shop Elderflower Eye Gel
(if you wear contact lenses and get dry eyes in the Alpine air, it really helps)

Cuticura Hand Cleansing Gel
(really good for French loos with no water / soap / towel)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh dear. You sound like a big girl. Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still am! How's VT? Do you remember meeting in the Roast beef around 15th December and you showed me your snowHead sweatshirt?!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
SkiBod, remember it well Very Happy . Hardly likely to forget you Very Happy .
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
my list is too dull.

SkiBod, don't you find anything in your eyes/nearby screws up your lenses? or do I just have oversensistive eyes?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A crockpot to prepare hot meals, according to the good people on Epicski. rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Duck tape wrapped around the poles, never know when you need to do running repairs.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I AM a big girl and I don't take anything like that SkiBod, sunscreen lip salve and a mars bar is about all I usually take with me?? aj xx
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lubricants and a Mars bar . . . partaaaay! wot... no vodka?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Masque, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
a bit of choc, water(I now got a camelbak),lip stuff,camera & a foil thermal blanket- just in case I come across an accident (or need it myself).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch,
Quote:

SkiBod, don't you find anything in your eyes/nearby screws up your lenses? or do I just have oversensistive eyes?

If you put a great dob of it right in your eye, would probably not be the best, but it is only really Witch Hazel [which is what Optrex is, basically, and you do put that right in your eye!] with something to make it a bit gloopier and seems not to cause me any problems, and I do have relatively sensitive skin.... bit of a sensitive flower really, as you can see from my girly list!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry, just realised I probably missed the point there, David Murdoch, it doesn't seem to make my lenses go blurry or anything, either, even if I do inadvertently get some in my eye - it just clears away - and yet even if put it around my eyes it seems to make them feel less dry.

Anyway! Back to the list ~ my friend takes port in a hip flask and if she has a wobbly morning, takes a swig or two of it and reckons it really improves her confidence.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I used to take a whole load of stuff in a rucksack, but have been cajoled to not taking one anymore so I suffice with Milkyways, suncream, and lipsalve.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Camelbak, suncream, lip balm, tiger balsm, leatherman (like a swiss army knife but not), cell phone, chocolate, Not Wax.....I have found my hip flask so there will be single malt of the day during the next 9 days holiday Smile
snow report
diamond file
phone
wallet
sun screen
snow report
Skis
Boots
Warm clothes
Sense of Adventure
latest report
marc gledhill, phone number of a good dentist?
snow report
Oh great, another listing opportunity... none of you seem to take any cash which is why you'll never see me on one of your bashes.
snow report
JohnHill, it's in my wallet!
snow conditions
JohnHill, my butler carries it.
snow report
My least girly thing:

Navman A300 Ski Tool

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 24-02-06 18:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Although it may seem a bit extravagant for a couple of week's skiing a year, it's also v useful for running, cycling, walking, etc...

"useful" being a relative term ....
snow conditions
I got one of the leatherman tools with a diamond file and conventional file on it. Damn handy Cool
ski holidays
Mini binoculars, "Shall we go over there, looks good" A big Marley for the drive home. Little Angel
snow report
JohnHill, How vulgar, one never talks of cash Blush
ski holidays
Thin half zip fleece...

...so I can faff around all day putting it on and taking it off again, which entails taking off gloves, goggle, hat, turtleneck, coat .... much to amusement / annoyance of everyone else in cable car.

But seriously, how do other people get their temperature right? I usually ski in one thermal and a ski jacket. In Val Thorens in December it was bloody freezing at the tops but then by the time I got to the bottom of the valley, if I had put the extra (Polartec 100 weight) fleece on, I was so hot I began feeling funny....

Any good ideas for that one?
snow report
SkiBod, - Mrs Ed is quite particular when it comes to being just right- and this is very important as if too hot- extreme irritability, too cold- grinds to a halt.

Ruchsack- with bladder, phone, (cash&cards- no butler) s/screen etc, small 1st aid kit, spare gloves & goggles (v useful after face plants and if you drop either of these you are stuffed), fleece vest and down vest for Mrs Ed, if vv cold down vest for me as well, shovel if required. Seems like a lot but being cold is really rubbish.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SkiBod, pit zips and taking my hat and neck gaiter on and off work wonders for me. I generally wear a layer of thermals then a layer of fleece under my shell, then a spare fleece in my pack if I need it.
snow report
Of course I carry a wallet and my mobile. although while doing a fun race, landed on my wallet and back at end of Jan and have only in the last few days or so got rid of the bruise on my leg!!!!!!!
snow report
Kramer, Yes, pit zips do work wonders, don't they? But can be a bit of a pain if you fall over in lots of fluffy stuff and it all gets in everywhere.

You must be quite a cool dude / cold fish [delete as applicable] if you ever need to wear all that lot - or you just aren't skiing hard enough wink
ski holidays
Annehillskiing, I know someone who fell off their mountain bike onto a can of coke they were v ill-advisedly carrying in their rucksack, and it burst all over the key to their car, b@ggered up the key's chip, and cost £100 to replace rolling eyes
latest report
Kramer, pit zips??? Any way things In carry .. powder trails (which I never seem to use even in deep snow - too much of a faff), bottle of water, whistle (see previous threads), insurance documentation, extra top, binoculars etc etc
ski holidays
stevew, armpit ventilation zips. You open them up and they let air in, and heat out.
ski holidays
Camera with spare batteries and memory cards
Hat (I normally wear a helmet) this is for when lunching outdoors
Non boarding gloves. - for sitting outside.
sunnies - see above
water bottle, dont like boarding with a platypus/camelbak.
wallet - to buy beer/food
additional thin fleece
mobile - just in case although best to check your provider has coverage.
piste map! Although this does depend on the resort.

Next trip
GPS for recording speeds , routes etc. Could be interesting.
May take binoculars next time for reasons given above.
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat,
Quote:

diamond file

is that for doing your nails with on the lifts, then?
snow report
I have a little back pack that has a pair of mittens in case it gets too cold for gloves, water, a towel, goggles(eventually I'll pack extra lenses for changing light), and some spray-on wax in case I was too lazy to wax the night before. My ski jacket has a ski-key lock that permanently lives in a pocket. GPS is fun. I always have an extra door key to the car in my wallet.
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat, thanks .. new jacket I got this season has these .. didn't need them in Saas Fee in Jan (b**ody cold) but hope to try them out in March!!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 26-02-06 18:48; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Ghost, what's the towel for? Puzzled
latest report
I make sure my feet are dry before I put my boots on. I dry my skis off before I put them in the car for the trip home.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy