Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Xmas trip - San Pellegrino, Kronplatz or where?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

I would like to get the collective wisdom before I select our Xmas resort.

There are four of us, two adults and two children, all intermediates of variable levels with some more comfortable on blues to some fine on reds and the odd black. We intend having a car but will not be doing a multi-resort trip. We dont need lots of piste miles and are happy with the medium, smaller type of resort. We went to Trysil last year and that was fine.

The plan is we are flying into Verona just after Xmas day , a day or two in Venice then a weeks skiing.

A few things we are looking for in order of priority:
1. Good English speaking Ski School with the short 2 hour sessions as an option for children group lessons to cater for a short tolerance for lessons.

2. Reasonable choice of accommodation, we normally s/c and given we have a car are happy to stay a little away from the lifts as long as there is good parking at the base. But not averse to a good deal on Half board but maybe not to be had at peak week.

3. Good snow making facilities, considering the timing of trip. But I think most seem have these?

4. Reasonable priced overall area.

5. Up to 2 1/2 hour easy/straightforward drive to/from Verona and Venice. I know all these are fine for the time but I have no idea about how easy the drives are. I dont really want to be caught out in a mountain pass with no snow tyres in a rental.

6. Good mix of runs. But if not then weighted to easier.

7. Good on-slope restaurants but its Italy. They are all good, right?

8. Swimming pool in complex or a public one nearby.

9. Decent supermarkets.

And as this is a holiday to Italy a bit of genuine local ambiance wouldn’t go amiss.

The following are being considered with the first two being the favourites at the moment, no order for the others.
• San Pellegrino/Falcade – I like the sound of it, esp the piste layout and the runs. Not so sure about the ski schools (info seems a bit harder to come by), nor if there is a public pool?
• Kronplatz – read good things, friends go every year to St. Vigil-San Vigilio so would look there. Also seen some accommodation recommendations on here as well.
• Folgaria - looks ok and close to Verona! Is it relatively cheap and reliable this early?
• Alta Badia/Colfosco/San Cassiano – I know this is raved about on here but as we don’t do lots of miles its biggest facet might be wasted on us.
• Madonna di Campiglio – a bit on the pricy side?
• Val di Fiemme
• Passo Tonale – good mix of runs and a good sized place. A bit spread out with varying reports. Looks to have one of the cheapest lift pass.

Any information about the above resorts that would rank/negate them as an option would be welcome. I think we already have a decent amount of choice (too much if anything) but if there is somewhere that ticks all the boxes then would love to hear about it.

Any recommendations on accommodation would be good as well. Sounds like I should be booking up soon?
What’s the best website for S/C accommodation for Italy? I have used Homeaway before and direct.
Is there a normal change over day?

Cheers all
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are your dates 22nd to 29th Dec? Let us know and we can advise.

We can advise in general but if there is no accommodation then that negates the advice. Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We arrive on Friday 28th Dec and leave Sunday 6th Jan. The current thought is Venice first then in resort Sunday to Sunday.

But more looking for a general steer on which resort to go for.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Based on the driving logistics here is roughly what your looking at re each resort (based on arrival at Verona, driving to Venice for Fri/Sat night, resort Sun to Sun then drive back to verona for flight back)

San Pellegrino: 2hr 21 from Venice. You will be driving in the mountains for a good part of the journey. 2hr 16 back to Verona. Part of journey will be through the mountains
Kronplatz: 3hr 30 from Venice. Drive through mountains for part of journey. 3hr 10 back to Verona. Short section through the mountains.
Folgaria: 2hr from Venice. Short section throught the mountains. 1hr 15 back to Verona. very short section through the mountains
Alta Badia: 2hr 50 from venice. Quite a long section through the mountains and over high passes. 2hr 45 back to Verona. SHort section through the mountains
Madonna: 3hr 25 from venice. Reasonable drive through the mountains. 2hr 15 back to verona. Reasonable drive through the mountains
Val Di Fiemme: 2hr 45 from Venice. Half the journey through the mountains. 2hr 10 back to verona. Shortish section through the mountains
Passo Tonale: Similar to Madonna
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@jimmybog, thanks. Great info. Sounds like you know the areas well. Would you know if generally roads are in good condition/kept clear of snow so mountain driving would be straightforward? Maybe less if a risk this early? (Otherwise Kronplatz might go down a notch)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@ster, you'd absolutely have to have chains, wherever you go - and be ready to deploy them swiftly as cars are unlikely to have snow tyres.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ster - Have to agree with Pam. Even though some of the routes may not go over the higher passes, they still go through the foothills and mountains. The road you are on may only be at around 1000 metres for example, but this is high enough for heavy snow to fall and affect the roads. Quite often the Southern Dolomite areas will receive more precipitation than the Northern Dolomites. And the foothills can sometime receive more precipitation than the mountains. These are all areas you would have to drive through to get to most of the ski resorts areas mentioned

The Authorities do keep the roads clear best they can, but on occasion they may struggle for a period of time with very heavy snow. If I was confident that the forecast for the week I was going, was going to be dry, then maybe I would as a minimum have winter tyres only. But mountain weather can change rapidly and I dont think I would risk driving without having snow chains to hand if required.

As for the time of year, I wouldn't second guess on the weather being kind early in the season. You could have heavy snow fall higher up at ski resort level anytime from October to May

Also I'm not an expert on the region but have visited several times both winter and summer but only to Alta Badia, Val gardena and Seiser Alm. Driven only once in summer and that was via a more straight forward route from Innsbruck to Alta badia with no high passes.

I'm sure you'll get better advice re driving from others on the forum. Quite a few have driven in winter time from Venice up to the Dolomites.

I can't advise anything about the Madonna and Passo Tonale area as I have never been there.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have skiied San Pellegrino quite a lot, but never stayed there. There are some lovely pistes, wide and undulating, but it is quite a high area and the if the weather closes in it would be a little bleak! You might be better off staying down the valley in Moena and then you have a choice of several different ski areas including Vigo and Pozza Di Fassa, Alpe de Luisa, San Pallegrino and Lattemar all within 20/30mins drive. Moena is a pretty village with lots of Italian ambiance!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
@ster, you'd absolutely have to have chains, wherever you go - and be ready to deploy them swiftly as cars are unlikely to have snow tyres.

Definitely happy to use chains and have done so in the past. Just a little concerned about renting a car in Italy and what can be promised vs actually come with from what I have read on here. So seeing if any risk mitigation is possible. I know any weather conditions are possibe there are no guarantees.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I last looked at the possibility of hiring a car winter time, lots of cars from Innsbruck had winter tyres included. From verona and venice, you had to pay extra and it was quite a lot of money. Not really sure how you could mitigate the risk unless you used public transport. Like I mentioned earlier, you could make a last minute decision before your trip after checking the forecast for the week ahead. I personally would still have a car with winter tyres and chains just to be safe.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Of the resorts on your list I only know Kronplatz. I have driven from Verona but not from Venice although friends have done. It is that bit further but I would not expect any problems on the roads. It is basically motorway all the way to the start of the Brenner Pass (and that is a MAJOR route for goods vehicles and if any road is going to stay open and clear then this one is) and then turn right along the valley towards Bruneck/ Brunico. Then turn up to Sankt Vigilio. We stay each year at www.mareo.it which is very well placed. Supermarket? There is a good sized Spar which has all we need (including for vegan and non-dairy family members). Swimming is round at Kron4 leisure centre which is a 20 minute drive but worth it. We stay at Sankt Vigilio because we like the town and the ambience. The quality of the accommodation seems to be a notch or two up from other resorts we have visited. We also stay at cheaper accommodation at Mantena which is a mile away from Sankt Vigilio and the lifts (and shopping) but I don’t think the accommodation has a website. I can give you the phone number if needed. Car is useful for a day out to Hidden Valley / Kron4 / Sella Ronda / Marmolada
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@JohnHSmith, thanks. I remember reading your report when I was searching for info on Kronplatz. That phone number would be useful.

If not staying right in the centre of St V is there decent parking available?

Did you use the ski school there,any good?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
San Martino di Castrozza
2.5 hrs from Venice
2 hrs 45 mins to Verona
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ster wrote:
That phone number would be useful.

I will send it in a direct message. The lady is Frau Feller and she doesn’t speak much English. I have corresponded in German. She probably speaks Italian but I don’t know.
Rough cost at Ciasa Valentin in Sankt Vigilio centre, very very close to the lift, was about €270 per person for a week in high season.
Rough cost at Mantena about a mile away was about €170 per person. Garage included

Quote:
If not staying right in the centre of St V is there decent parking available?

If you are parking in Sankt Vigilio then there is parking at the bottom of the Miara lift. It is “pay parking” and from memory about €3 per day but I may be wildly out with that figure. I don’t think so. There is also “pay parking” near the petrol station on the left of the road as you enter Sankt Vigilio driving up from Zwischenwasser / Longega. It looks at first as if this is in the middle of nowhere but there is a footbridge over the river which leads to gondola stations on the other side.
Quote:
Did you use the ski school there,any good?

I haven’t personally used any of the ski schools for myself but my granddaughter has had instructions from https://www.scuolasci.net/en/ and they seemed very good. They certainly have English speaking instructors but I guess you would need to specify that if/ when booking. My granddaughter has had full day lessons and also morning only lessons. I don’t know what may be available at the time you are there (if you go there).
We have hired equipment from the shop across the road from the ski school. If you need it I will dig out the name. Got a good discount by emailing in advance
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow wrote:
San Martino di Castrozza
2.5 hrs from Venice
2 hrs 45 mins to Verona

Thanks Mike. I take it, that apart from the travel, it would also meet some of the other hoped for features? I'll definitely take a look.
snow report
ster wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
San Martino di Castrozza
2.5 hrs from Venice
2 hrs 45 mins to Verona

Thanks Mike. I take it, that apart from the travel, it would also meet some of the other hoped for features? I'll definitely take a look.

Not sure about the pool

http://www.sanmartino.com/EN/home-winter/?st=2
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
ster wrote:
Mike Pow wrote:
San Martino di Castrozza
2.5 hrs from Venice
2 hrs 45 mins to Verona

Not sure about the pool

http://www.sanmartino.com/EN/home-winter/?st=2

Yup there is a pool!

http://www.sportetempolibero.it/

But the ski schools seem to have fixed group course dates at Xmas/NY that may not work for us and seem a bit pricey, although that may also be that rental kit/lunch is included but we dont need kit (says the one that has an English version of their site) the other needs Google translate which doesnt bode well as they may not get many English speakers.

Otherwise it looked a good option on the other criteria.
latest report
Hi All

Just an update, ended up in San Pellegrino (TR here if you are interested https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=3356622#3356622) as it was a short drive from both Venice and Verona and it was a bit off the beaten track.

Thanks for all the help.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy