Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

End of Season Reports

Poster: A snowHead
Just been looking at the "That Depressing Time" thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=137692 and it's prompted me to start an end of season report thread, as we no do seem to be stuttering to the end (down in this part of the world at least) given the grim forecast for the next ten days.

Now, actually it is quite depressing, not that I'm expecting a lot of sympathy, but after the fantastic season we had with once in a decade (maybe more) accumulations of snow we were all thinking it was going to be a fantastic spring ski touring season, and that's simply not the case with the unfavorable conditions we've had in the past six or so weeks when usually we'd be clocking up a couple of tours a week, and Rando Chiens are not as trim as they'd usually be by now!

For sure we scored three classic days last week but the forecast for this week is grim and for next week as well, (rain and overcast skies not conducive to freeze thaw and not pleasant for the road bike) and then the snow will be disappearing fast after that Crying or Very sad

This "season" looking at my online diary I've clocked up 45 days where I've used the word "powder" in the description and I think I've only had around 10 classic Spring ski touring days - quite the reverse of most seasons where it could we be only 10 or so powder days and 40 or so touring days!!

When you're out here all the time you do get very selective as to when you want to go up the hill, the peak holiday periods and crowds put you off, but by careful timing (first lifts) and route selection you can normally get a decent three hours in which is all we really need.

Many friends who are not so energetic and pretty well go up every day have had a great season with the pistes being superb, even now I'm looking up the mountain and the snow cover is excellent.

There is so much we would have normally done in a season that we have not even touched (going off the back / slack country) and we have to remember some of those truly glorious powder days on a par with Japan (which we did this season as well for the first time) rather than what we have not done.

Some of our geezonaire mates have also migrated on to FatSkis with the help of KenX and he is well worth mentioning in dispatches for his almost Saintly patience on taking skiers out on days when he'd probably prefer to be ripping, though one of said dudes did their ACL in the spring porridge proving that speed is not always your friend.

We've also had two other friends who have done their ACL's and a fair sprinkling of injuries of people getting taken out on the piste by out of control idiots, and this season was a first for me when I had to resort to handbags to make a point after my OH was flattened in a lift queue!

Another first was getting to grips with Cross Country skate skiing, where I would now say I can keep up with good intermediates.

It is one of the toughest sports I've learnt trying to take my bull in a china shop attitude and apply subtle technique as opposed to relying on strength if you want to progress to longer distances.

It has been a crazy season for snow, and I've never seen so much fall and be of such a fantastic quality.

I've been fortunate to have skied a fair few days this season where I've said afterwards "I think that's been my best day ever in the mountains!" and then a day later I've said it again.

Currently I'm on 98 days since end November where I've been "skiing" which is not too bad, as I've been back to the UK twice and missed out on a few days, for sure could have been more, but I'd always go for quality over quantity.

Still out here till the end of May then briefly back to the UK before off to Madagascar for a month ( work and play)
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Definitely the best two weeks we've had for a long time. And with the kids getting older we've really used it this year. Vintage one might say.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
45 days. Some of them early on a bit poo-poo due to wrong punt on location. Compensated for by some great fun and a minimum of dreck for those of us that can't pick n choose.

On EOSB a couple of "throw those curtains wide" days as well as some Miracle March pow = very fun season, not all time classic but hard to get the latter while Working a FT job.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unbelievably good winter for me. From powder in Austria in very early December to genuinely epic SOPiB conditions to fresh tracks over Easter.

I think my Insta post summed it up!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhCqAJiD02v/?hl=en&taken-by=glowphil
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
40 days and, importantly for a snowboarder, only the odd day of icy conditions. Best two months since I started 7 years ago, travelling during January/Feb on the Swiss MagicPass. Great flexibility using the motorhome to drive to the best conditions over a wide geographic area.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 30-04-18 14:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Inspite of the huge volumes of snow that many of you have seen, I have to say its been frustrating!
My winter base is Lauterbrunnen so the home patch is Wengen, Grindelwald & Murren. This year with the phenomenal 666 lift pass we have skied extensively at Lenk, Adelboden, Gstaad & Meiringen and a few others!
During January when Zermatt, Val d', Tignes were literally buried we had long periods of fohn and associated heavy rain up to ridiculous elevations.
Once the wind eased we would then be blessed with massive temperature inversions limiting skiing further.
On one occasion we had a splendid 300m vertical on the Schilthorn (2970) before we would drop into the pea soup of cloud and fog!
On the subject of Schilthorn to add some perspective, the top station was closed on 11 days during January, either very high avalanche risk or storm force wind!
When we did get good snow the weather windows to enjoy it were extremely limited, on 3 occasions touring out of Grindelwald the dreaded fog ascended to us and ruined what should have been classic powder descents back to Waldspitze & G'wald. Even an outing with Swiss alpine club on Easter Mon. resulted in us executing plan "c"....
I rest my case, always great to be out there but this time. Frustrating!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
11 days in the Brecon Beacons National Park, Wales
Ranged from fast frost to boot top powder.
If I'd been around from mid-December through to the end of February I could easily have doubled my tally.
That's six of the past 10 winters with 6 consecutive months of snow in S Wales (November-April)

60 days on Hokkaido, Japan
Skied powder on my first and last days on 'Fantasy Island', and pretty much every day in between (48 )
My best season since I first started skiing Hokkaido in December 2006

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 30-04-18 14:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Skiline says 38 days, but there are 2 days at Obertauern and 4 langlauf days to add to that. Not bad for someone who also has to work for a living. I would sum the season's conditions up thus (and with the caveat that I don't ski off-piste or tour):

November: A new experience for me. Many ski areas opened limited lifts/pistes early due to the exceptional conditions. And yes they were exceptional, as was the general lack of people.
December: Up until Christmas more areas opened, the conditions were fabulous and there were few people about. Those that were about were clearly not tourists; good skills, friendly and respectful. It seemed to snow continually and was generally very cold.
Christmas/New Year: By now everywhere was fully open but I didn't ski much to avoid crowds.
January: Wonderful conditions continued, cold weather, not especially busy pistes, but no chance of a goggle tan.
February: Best avoided, too many tourists about, but stayed cold although there was limited snowfall.
March: Busy to start with but calmed down as the month wore on. Temperatures significantly higher than February. Lots of sun, sparse snowfall, but conditions remained good, just some slushy home runs in the afternoons.
April: Very warm, almost beach weather. Too hot for skiing, slushy snow, but a great goggle tan. Other than Easter, nicely quiet.

All in all a great first season in Austria, roll on the next one...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Contamines got 925cm at 1880m this year. Second best in a decade. 5th best in 22 years. What that probably understates was the frequency of snowfalls which meant so many days skiing fresh powder.
I skied 25 days (including 2 at St Gervais) and had 8 true fresh powder days. And of course plenty of others when there were fresh tracks to be had. Not shabby.
What did go missing was sunshine (friend of ours who lives in Les C said he had burned twice as much wood as usual without the solar gain from sunshine) and ski touring. Oh and one great area for off piste was closed for the whole season due to avalanche risk. Have to take the rough with the smooth.
Didn't have a single day when I felt the lifts or pistes were really busy and that included NY, Feb HT and first Easter week.

Yet another year when I didn't manage to get to Chamonix. Would have been over for ski touring if the weather had allowed.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Due to a fairly massive shoulder injury/operation/recovery, I wasn't planning to ski this season Sad Sad But, I did go up for 'First Tracks' in January followed by three runs after that! Which was awesome. I did three other first tracks session which were poor visibility and scary (I was told by the physio not to fall over!!) and I didn't go out after the first tracks bit was done

However, some friends pointed me at ski touring in March and whilst I've only had 4 short goes at it (virtually no actual exercise since the op in August meant I wasn't really fit enough to go far or often! The movement on my arm also meant it was quite painful after each go) and bloody love it!

I've now got a ski touring set up (although the skis are probably a bit too long for me!) and have been chatting with my friendly ski shop owner about getting a proper set up for next season!!

So, from zero expectation of skiing to about ten short 'goes', I'm pleased to have done a bit more than I expected Very Happy Very Happy Roll on next season Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well I had a great season, and I'm all geared up for the next one, I just need to lose 10kg between now and December and get fit and I'm sorted.

Started off with Are in Sweden in December, lots and lots of snow, and wind, so they had to close a few lifts during the day, which was actually great for us as we had an apartment by the bottom of the VM8 lift, which they closed each afternoon because of the wind, then closed the slopes going back down to that lift. So it meant that at the end of each day skiing, we could ski past the closed signs and ski back down through lovely drifts of snow back to our apartment, having the whole piste to ourselves.

Then I went to Les Gets for 4 days with the lads in Mid Jan, again great snow, and not too busy on the slopes.

Then we went to Austria in early Feb to ski with our friends who camp there (in their camper van) for the season, and again, fantastic snow.

I did manage to batter my knees in the first trip, which kind of put a bit of a dampener on the rest of the trips, but I was out skiing every day getting some lovely pistes in, and I really enjoyed it.

I feel that my skiing has improved a lot just because I've been able to link a few weeks together. I also managed to "get" something someone mentioned on here, and I can't remember who it was Embarassed but they were trying to teach someone by saying turn with your front edges, and that really helped me ski the steeps with confidence. snowHead

Of course by next year I will have completely forgotten how to ski and will have only one trip to try to regain my new found skills and when I go the conditions will be a combination of ice, slush and bare grass Confused
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've been lucky down the years but the last two have been a bit poor.
5 days this year out of two holidays due to injury.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A good one for me - firsts for me in EK - Val D'isere for a mates trip week in January in ridiculous amounts of snow and then a first trip to 3V with the kids late Easter hols to Meribel in equally mad amounts of quality snow for the time of year! My mate and I are very tempted to to an early June trip to Val for a long weekend just for the novelty of the funicular to be open, but in reality thats probably it for another year. Also got my new partner skiing for the 1st time in 17 years and after a nervous couple of days she got the bug again, which open up the possibilities of a romantic Ski getways!

Still harbouring making enough money to do a season before I'm REALLY old, but not sure what next year will bring as GCSE and A Level for kids may rule out an Easter trip (ex wife a Headteacher and puts her foot down over that sort of thing) it definitely will be a mates trip in January (probs back to Mayrhofen).

Loved EK and the 3V though and really only scratched the surface so need to go back at some point to one of them next year!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also persistently found myself saying "Best day skiing ever!". I've actually only racked up 18 days this year which is unusually low for me, but can't be helped as this year saw me spend my entire life savings on a flat and the associated work that comes with buying one. I have to say though, that it's been 18 great quality days, where last season was 30 days skiing of which less than 18 were great. I've also noticed a solid improvement in my general ability which has boosted my confidence a lot and helped me enjoy the time a lot more.

Week 1: Chamonix for a week in Jan... first day was a warm up on week-old snow then it was deep powder for the remaining 5 days. Sadly most of Chx was shut so I spent the first 2 days of it on my powder skis playing around in knee-deep snow, sadly it then rained a bit and all the powder became heavy sludge and not much fun to ski in, so I spent the rest of the week skiing very nice condition soft pistes which was also very fun anyway.

Week 2: Alleghe for PreBB... spent all week on piste and rediscovered an enthusiasm for skiing pistes. Spending a week in a resort where they (a) keep the pistes in very good condition, (b) run a pretty efficient lift system and (c) do not attract many idiots to make the pistes hazardous; helped to re-ignite my interest in it. A day at San Pellegrino was the highlight of the week and at the time went down as my best day ever, the pistes were outrageously good and we spent all day carving huge turns on excellent pistes, with nobody else around.

Week 3: Val Thorens for EOSB... spent the first 2 days skiing pistes which as many know nearly ended in disaster when I snapped a ski in half and landed directly on my face (goggles almost certainly saved a broken nose). Then spent 2 days demoing (and subsequently ordering) the new Whitedot D114, now colloquially known amongst Snowheads as the 'ASBO' on account of the hooliganesque skiing style it seems to inspire, and finishing with 2 absolutely fantastic days off-piste with the Whitedot Club.

As I said to admin in another conversation - in previous seasons I just racked up the days with no regard for quality, this season has been about ensuring quality days. The much improved snow conditions in Europe have obviously helped with that but it's also a slight attitude change too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pretty pitiful total of 18 days this season, but still managed to finally ski Jerusalem a couple of weeks ago. That is about the highlight, there was an awful lot of cloud, rainy wet snow, fog, you name it I've skied through it this year. No real improvement in skiing ability, just not enough time on snow, everybody at work talks like I've spent all winter out of the office but I feel like I've barely got any time in at all.

Next season is going to have to be more time on the hill, but how on earth I fit it in is going to be a challenge.

Time to start planning a summer holiday. Urgh.
ski holidays
Despite now living in the Alps, I only seemed to manage around 21 days, less than last year’s 25 day record, especially as about half this year have been half days Confused

This is largely down to not getting out to Austria until mid-January, way after most of the big storms, then having huge amounts of sorting, unpacking and admin to deal with, and also not getting a car for around a month restricted me to the bus and begging lifts from @clarky999 (who has been amazing, so no complaints there Cool ).

After the end of Jan storm that closed a lot of lifts and sent the avi risk right up, it was pretty dry overall, with a lot of cloudy weekends that encourage me to stay in bed. Even so, I do remember some excellent days in the forest at Axamer Lizum, skiing steeps at Nordkette and exploring St Anton, topped off by 7 days off-piste in the sun at Val Thorens.

I figured I have to take a long term view. I intend to still be here next winter, and the one after that, for who knows how long, so some sacrifice this season will improve matters next time, hopefully. I can’t say I’ve had the epic winter that showed up on the weather forecast, but I am now ready for the next one.

And we’re not even done yet Toofy Grin
latest report
@Weathercam, powder or corn?
ski holidays
120+ days and still counting. It's been awesome.
snow report
@Scarlet, can I come and visit next season? I promise*
@MaireadOConnor will vouch for me
to get you out of bed whatever the weather and make you ski full days Happy

My experience has been similar to @Scarlet's. Poorly timed corrective eye surgeries meant I missed most of the first few weeks of the season, which everyone who didn't tells me were epic. I did get out to Damüls for Christmas, which was largely excellent piste conditions and sunny days and a great season warm-up followed by a last two days of powder, including a blue sky powder day on the last day. Little was I to know then that that was the last time I would see the sun whilst skiing until the end of March.

We had a great week in La Tania in January with the excellent Claude for which most of the lifts out of LT were closed, but we didn't care, because tracks were filling in as we made them, and the LT tree skiing is awesome. Then there were a series of local day and weekend trips throughout the season, most of which involved not just poor visibility but thick fog. I cannot remember ski days where we actually couldn't see the next slope pole before. Certainly reset the "poor vis" meter a bit. This was the winter I really twigged that most of the Swiss resorts I ski at don't have much in the way of tree skiing. Any recommendations for the La Tania of Switzerland?

The middle part of the season just felt like a constant merry-go-round of heavy snow, föhn, rain, cloud. Every so often interspersed with the odd day of sun but rarely at the weekend.

The EoSB was amazing and I have never been so happy to see sun. Fantastic spring skiing conditions and I wish I was still there.

It's been a poor winter for touring for me. So many weekends where the weather just has been too poor and /or the avi risk too high. I've had 30 days on snow this winter, of which only 2 have been touring. Too few, in any case, and I shall do better next year. I don't feel "done" for this winter yet, so I expect I'll be dragging @SnowPenguin up the Titlis glacier come October.
snow conditions
@Gämsbock, sure, why not, it’s close enough for a weekend Very Happy
ski holidays
Gämsbock wrote:

The EoSB was amazing and I have never been so happy to see sun. Fantastic spring skiing conditions and I wish I was still there.

Know the feeling - used to think EoSB was a good way of closing out the season - now I feel it just amplifies withdrawal symptoms.
latest report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Gämsbock wrote:

Know the feeling - used to think EoSB was a good way of closing out the season - now I feel it just amplifies withdrawal symptoms.

Unfortunately I think that's spot on Sad. I didn't do it last year and didn't really notice we'd stopped skiing.

@Scarlet Very Happy
snow report
Yikes........ Bad season too...........

Started in Coumayeur at Xmas, great conditions, no crowds, lots to drink.

January was again in Aosta Valley at Champoluc, empty pistes, superb skiing, loadsa food!!

February was a busy half-term in the back regions of Arlberg based at Schruns. But half decent snow made up for Fasching-Mad numpties from Mrs Mercl's homeland ruining the show.

March was superb in the Arlberg again. Two long weekends, Lech and Stuben, made for great skiing with empty pistes again!!

Then a EoS bash at St Anton with Crystal's Mountain Star Lodge at bargain price made a great finale!

Total of 35 days in resorts with 37 days on snow.

Not bad for a season I expected to be bad!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
What a season! Cancer scare at the beginning, busted ACL at the end and some of the best skiing ever in between! Prep for the 2018/2019 season starts tomorrow - here’s hoping it gets somewhere close to this year!
ski holidays
Best Christmas snow for 7 years, a record cumulative snowfall for La Plagne for the whole season.
But at a price, the least sunshine in recent memory, the highest number of 'low viz' days in recent memory, and rare bluebird days.
Many runs were closed because of too much snow and avalanche risk, the Glacier in La Plagne was closed for several weeks because off the constant snowfall and an inability to dig the lifts out from under it!

On a positive note - what an amazing season snowHead

Oh yes and silly cheap flights to Geneva from Southampton, which are already being repeated for next season Cool
snow report
Oh well just cheered myself up by spunking on a season pass for next winter - Jackson- Aspen-Altabird here we come or maybe Banff-Revy
snow conditions
@Dave of the Marmottes, sounds like a great pass! And they must be due a bumper season next year! Would love to ski Revelstoke...
snow conditions
24 days for me, not bad for a corporate desk jockey Toofy Grin OK this has been my most indulgent season ever, but boy, what a season..........

All bar 1 day in the Ski Amade, that day being Obertauern.

4 days in December. At least 2 in sweet, knee deep powder. Deserted.

6 days in January. Hard skiing, hard apres including the night race in Schladming. Snow was amazing, definitely 1 proper powder day, but lots of off-piste.

6 days in February. Pretty quiet given it was half term. Stunning conditions, including some boot deep.

7 days in April. Quite surreal, skiing and Sun-bathing ( and I mean, proper, in my duds, Sun-bathing )

Roll on 18/19 Cool
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
6 days skiing each x 6 weeks:

EK - PSB Tignes- good snow, Fornet to Brevieres. Cold early week. Mostly sunny apart from a day or two. Fairly quiet apart from Oxbridge flashmob, Val C (who were great fun).
Dol - Arabba pre Christmas - excellent snow, cold, mostly sunny. Deserted. Magnificent.
Dol - Arabba late Jan - superb snow, weather, food, top week. Not busy except Selva Val G when World Cup in town.
3V - La Tania early Feb - great snow again, half sunny, half snowy. Surprisingly quiet.
3V - La Tania mid March - excellent snow, very good weather after day 1, best chalet food in 30+ years. Fairly quiet.
3V - EOSB Val Thorens mid April - sunny after day 1, all over 3V, great snow 'til 3pm ish.

Review: OK for bloke with knees on their last legs.
Actions for 18/19 - More Dol, yet more EK, maybe Saalbach or Ischgl.
snow report
14 days on snow this winter, less than usual. Unfortunately I missed out on the 'vintage' season that everyone else seems to have enjoyed due to bad timing. Only 3 days of powder.

Discovered Sestriere as an excellent place for tree-skiing during a retour d'est.

Also had a great week of piste skiing in the Dolomites.

For 18/19 I want to go back to Japan, do some proper (probably guided) steeps in the alps, and a good spring ski touring trip.
snow conditions
Christmas 6.5 days skiing - 3V/La Tania with alpine elements - going to avoid them in the future, but the skiing was great and sunny most days.

Mid March 7 days skiing - Baqueira Beret IASI Level 2 - great resort, weather variable, a bit cold on one of the days but not bad otherwise.

Easter 6 days skiing - 3V/C 1850, slumming it in courchevel, brilliant snow cover, first tracks down Saulire on first morning at 8am, fresh snow on one of the days and warm weather, turning into a slush fest lower down but still a great week, and the first week skiing a lot with the little one (rather than lessons) who was happy to ski nearly everything apart from the really steep stuff.

Most weekends - The Snow Centre, fresh snow daily, perfect temps, it'd be nice if they could get some sun in there though Wink

Highlights, passing L2, skiing with family at Easter.

Next season, would love to do some teaching in the mountains, start the journey towards L3, maybe go to Interski, and will book holidays closer to the time if snow coverage is good.
snow report
Quote:

Discovered Sestriere as an excellent place for tree-skiing during a retour d'est.

I've been saying that around these parts for a few years. Brilliant isn't it?
snow conditions
Worst season ever for me.

I booked a three week trip to Japan. Burst a disc in my back and had to cancel. Japan had one of it's best seasons for a long time.

Hopefully next season will make up for it. 3 weeks in Japan and a last minute trip to Europe if conditions/mates work out.
snow report
boredsurfin, sort of agree snowHead
75 snowy days and 34 sunny dsys according to La Plagne site.
Happy with that.
And our end of La Plagne with so many tree runs was just fine.
I even got quite fond of Envers, allowing us to go round and round through all the trees either side of Coqs.
Best pre Xmas ever. So many days with fresh fluffy snow.
A great season.
snow report
68 days about this year since the start of November but I changed job so lost 25 days accumulated holiday so was not able to storm chase - given the very sketchy conditions at times perhaps no bad thing. Best conditions were probably November and a small period of cold weather in February. Unusually warm the rest of the winter, few of those nice crisp winter days.

November skiing

Lots and lots of bad weather. Powder days were a bit few and far between as every time it snowed there was either torrential rain or wind a day later so I ended up doing a lot more resort piste skiing, probably about half of days in resort.

April insanely hot so hard to take advantage from the spring snow pack.

Closing weekend at Val d'Isere

May is looking tricky as the high alpine passes are blocked by some monster avalanches which the highways department are having trouble clearing meanwhile the snow higher up is melting.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 1-05-18 16:16; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Epic season!!

12 days skiing over two trips:

First was early January in EK - Val D'isere - with a bunch of lads. The first two days were practically impossible to ski. Even when they did open the lifts, there was almost zero visibility but we kept going anyway! We were justly rewarded though with the remaining 4 days being just amazing, perfect conditions. Hardly a cloud in the sky, cold enough to keep the snow perfect and no real queues anywhere as it was outside all school holidays! Already thinking about a similar trip next year but I can't imagine we will be so lucky!!

Second trip was PdS - Les Arcs with the family (and a friend's family). First couple of days were a bit cold and low vis with some snow but again, after this we had 4 bluebird days whilst still cold enough to keep the home runs firm!! Powder days at the beginning followed by beautiful sunshine and great spring weather to share with kids and wife (very much a fair weather skier!).

Ridiculously, we missed a bit of skiing on our first trip due to the vast amounts of snow in The Alps, whereas the second trip (late-March) we were delayed by 5 hours at the airport because of too much snow in Southampton!!!!
snow conditions
About 38 days in the mountains, and about 35 on skis. I rarely took a day off this winter. We had 6 days in Val Thorens, and I skied every day. I usually skip at least one, but a 3V pass had to be made the most of. As for the remainder in Serre Che, it was blooming epic, although there were times in both January and March that I longed for a sunny day.
latest report
Bobbins season for me. You couldn't write it I swear. Just bare with me. Me and three of my mates would normally try to get away at least once a year. This year wasn't to be.

Went to Amsterdam at the beginning of October for my best mates stag do. He happened to snap his humerous on the first night, six weeks before his wedding. He only got it pinned six weeks ago as it wasn't for healing naturally. Then one of the other lads was away with his missus in VT. On his first full day, he took a tumble and shattered his shoulder in several places and had to get it pinned and whatnot in France. That was the end of his hollibob this season. Then mate number three broke his hand beginning of March resulting in him not being able to go. Maybe still awaiting some metalwork. This will be decided in a couple of weeks after another x-Ray. Then there's me. Some of you may recall I was due to have my other hip replaced this year. Well, it happened on the 18th April.

Seems it just wasn't meant to be this year. Anyway, on the mend now and we're all determined to make up for it next year. Laughing
snow conditions
3 weeks skiing, so two more than usual!

I did put trip reports in the appropriate sub-forum at the time.

Enough snow for me, no days cancelled, sunshine not a requirement for my holidays. Shoulda had lessons in Andorra, did have lessons in Banff.

To summarise, two videos.

El Tarter, Andorra:

http://youtube.com/v/dPL0CmCnPPg

and Banff, Canada:

http://youtube.com/v/R0ZYHdFXTfY
snow report
Thirty five days on snowboards, seven of those at resorts.

BC was good early season, although with not as much snow pack as the previous season. Late season in the north was excellent, with conditions more like winter than spring.

Three of those days were last weekend in Sölden. This below from yesterday. Less busy than recent May day weekends. Significantly less snow low down than the same time last year. Spring conditions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy