Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
o11y wrote:
ulmerhutte wrote:
@Markymark29, partly running, ie the trip involves a shuttle bus. See https://www.intra-stanton.com/help/aktuelle-situation/oeffentliche-verkehrsmittel

BTW Absolutely fantastic day in StA today. Blue skies and cold powder. Very few people. It does not get better than this!

This link no longer works so does anyone know if trains are back to normal now?

That link only goes live when there is an "emergency situation" in St Anton. As things are back to normal, the link will just redirect to the tourist office website. It's still a bus replacement between Landeck and Bludenz (affected stations are Langen and St Anton), but that's due to finish this evening.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sideshow_Bob, According to https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=133261 there are no hols that should affect the Arlberg until Feb. But things do start to get a bit busier from now on. I suspect with the recent snow and some clear days ahead a few people will be booking last minute trips, but I reckon it'll still be tolerable until mid Feb. Once the Dutch holidays start Austria gets very busy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Austrian School Holidays

Spring holiday 2019 Vienna and Lower-Austria 04-02-2019 - 09-02-2019
Spring holiday 2019 Burgenland, Carinthia, Salzburgerland, Tyrol, Vorarlberg 11-02-2019 - 16-02-2019
Spring holiday 2019 Upper Austria, Steiermark 18-02-2019 - 23-02-2019
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The period just after Sylvester holiday-makers have gone home, for about 2 weeks, is usually quiet. Heck, I was able to walk straight to the Spar supermarket check out at 5:30pm last night, ie no queue.

It will now get progressively busier, as many people who book ahead tend to prefer high season, which is customarily taken to be late January to early March. February will be nuts with multiple school holidays, Fasching, etc.

BTW: today was simply, absolutely fantastic. Maybe 15 - 25cm of powder, cold temps to keep it that way, sunshine, and no lift queues worthy of that label. Skied Zürs. A day for the memory banks.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sah wrote:
I suspect with the recent snow and some clear days ahead a few people will be booking last minute trips

Yeah, I suspect this may well have happened with a few people snowHead I get there on Sunday
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hey everybody - we have a group of 20 coming from the US for the last week of January. Questions on the Weisse Ring:
How long does it take to ski to it from St Anton as a base?
How long to do a loop?
Any lunch spot recommendations?

We were last here 8 years ago and the ring was a nice tour for our mixed skills group.
Thanks!
CJM
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@CJM, the "New" course is "Run of Fame"

https://www.flexenbahn.ski/images/run_of_fame/panokarte_run-of-fame.jpg?q=81f71ac5-efb9-4a73-b1b5-2903b884a534
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Folks.. It is perfekt January Winter Conditions..

Cold dry snow ...blue skues in coming days
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CJM, The Weisse Ring has now been superseded by the Run of Fame. There's various start points and the connections are now by uplifts (Flexenbahn allows this). Reckon on a full day to cover all the resorts including Warth and Schroecken, Lech, Zurs, Stuben, and St Anton. There is an App you can download that records your journey along. Quite fun really.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@CJM, we're there the same week. I'm sure we'll spot you guys... can't imagine 20 Americans are easily missed - I know 10 cockneys are noisy enough.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Holy moly - that's a huge tour and is perfect for our first day. Thanks Stanton and Skimastaah for the guidance. Anybody have a lunch spot recommendation about halfway (Warth)? We'd like to make reservations since our group is sizable. And can we do a leisure lunch on this tour, or does it need to be quick to make it back to St. Anton? I notice the Rendl part is at the end and can be truncated.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@CJM, The start/finish at Rendl has two options. The higher one at the top of Riffelbahn 2, this requires a run down the Riffelscharte Skiroute (usually not groomed, plenty of bumps, and can be a tad testing for the faint hearted!) Probably best start at top of Riffelbahn 1.

https://www.lechzuers.com/en/winter/ski-lifts/
You can check out the lifts/pistes ……

or youtube it …..
http://youtube.com/v/9ciqC0RTlw8
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CJM, You will not have time for Lunch !! Very Happy Get out early...do it ..save yourselves for Apres Ski Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Because of the potential for tight timings, friends of mine that have done it did the Rendl bit last. They headed straight up Galzig and over to Warth, doing Rendl when they got back to St Anton at the end of the day. Meant that they got ahead of the traffic heading from St Anton through to Zürs and gave them a little more buffer time for lift closing. Prob wouldn’t count on a leisurely lunch if you want to ski back, especially with a large group, better to have snacks/sarnies in your pockets for on the connecting lifts and then enjoy a nice couple of beers when you complete it at the end of the day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everybody - very helpful info. We've got some real foodies in our group and this will cause some soul searching. Not sure whether we will be able to skip the wine at lunch and wait all the way for apres. Decisions!

BTW - I'll never forget the first time we skied down at the end of the day and popped into the little bar and the Austrians were dancing in ski boots and airbag backpacks up on the table. You guys are professionals! And that's why we are coming back. Happy
ski holidays
Loads of lovely mountain restaurants in Lech, Oberlech & Warth. They're nearly all nice. Enjoy!!
snow report
@CJM, I like your style, I like to think if I ever get state side I will similarly look to eat well, an overlooked side of a ski trip IMO
snow conditions
@Snow Hound, give us a shout if you see us. I’ll be the guy in a burnt orange jacket trailing his wife in leopard ski pants.
snow report
@CJM, if you want to do a substantial part of the route and have time for some lunch whilst based in St Anton you might want to think about starting in Zürs. You can get a bus but given the numbers here you might want to hire a couple of mini buses. Being in Zürs when the lifts open means that you should be able to do the route through Lech, Warth and back to Zürs for late morning which would then allow options about where to stop and no stress getting back to St Anton. Depending on how quick you are and how much lunch you have you could fit in most of the St Anton part. You would have to vary the published route a bit, probably miss out the long blue from the Ulmer Hütte to Alpe Rauz and the Steissbachtal is currently closed anyway because of avalanche concerns.
snow conditions
Whereever you plan tp stop for lunch...with that number you will need to reserve in advance....dont be late they will not hold tables for more than 15mins...
snow report
I have had a look at run of fame from Lech. Would it be best to do Warth first rather than last. Warth looks like a trap if you get tight for time.
ski holidays
Folks

H(Cr)appy Valley .../...Steißbachtal is still closed
snow report
8611 - I have to confess that it is some of the other members of our crew who are teaching me to slow down. They view these trips as lunch-hut to lunch-hut ski tours - soaking up the great food and European mountain culture.

Munich_Irish, good suggestion. I'd really like to get our group out to Warth since it is new, and since I read that it gets the most snow in the Alps. But we'd still be able to get that lunch.

Stanton - good advice. You'll be pleased to know that we have an off-piste guide set up for three days as well. Will be chasing the best snow and eating snickers out of my backpack.
snow report
Re: Steissbachtal and Bachseite - I wonder how much more traffic they would get if the Gesperrt signs were removed? Both are pretty much “pisted” now from all the (illicit) traffic.

BTW: Another fantastic day here. The cold temps have kept the snow in great condition. Interestingly, yesterday was busier than today.
ski holidays
Is there any chance Steissbachtal will be open again in this season?
snow report
dafus wrote:
Is there any chance Steissbachtal will be open again in this season?

There is always a chance, but I suspect it is slim. There are significant glide cracks on the slopes below Schindlerkar and smaller cracks toward Mattun. Unless they can be stabilised, Steissbachtal will likely stay closed. Similar to last year.
snow report
@CJM, have you done the iconic apres ski bars like the Krazy Kanguruh and MooserWirt ??
snow conditions
ulmerhutte wrote:
Re: Steissbachtal and Bachseite - I wonder how much more traffic they would get if the Gesperrt signs were removed? Both are pretty much “pisted” now from all the (illicit) traffic.

BTW: Another fantastic day here. The cold temps have kept the snow in great condition. Interestingly, yesterday was busier than today.

Sorry for my ignorance. Gesperrt means Ski route?

Are these other ways down avoiding the Kandahar? Full of lemmings at 3pm
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DanFuller, ha! No gesperrt means closed.
snow conditions
Good to know
ski holidays
@DanFuller, assuming you are coming from Galzig the ways down are, in the Galzig lift, Kandahar piste, Osthang ski route (it runs directly under the Galzig gondola, have a look down to see if you think it is something you can ski, there are invariably large moguls), ignoring the closed signs on the Steissbachtal (not a good idea at all, potentially you could have your pass confiscated), the Bachseite off piste area (which ends up on the Steissbachtal though you could aim for the area where the piste from Gampen comes down so pretty much avoiding the piste, when I was there last weekend there were closed signs all along the entrance points, I guess these would still be there) or the trees below the Osthangbahn (this is a nature reserve so skiing is forbidden, if you get caught a potential large fine awaits). There are various off piste routes from the piste down to St Christoph (years ago there used to be a piste from St Christoph back to St Anton) but again the wooded areas are nature reserves though there are ways through.

In practical terms either the lift, Kandahar or Osthang.

Alternatively there is the Mattunjoch skiroute (access from either the top of the Valluga drag lift or with a bit of pushing / walking from the Schindler chair), its usually a long mogul field relatively narrow and steep at the top. If you use the Schindler chair that avoids Galzig altogether.
snow report
Thanks.

I’ve used the Kandahar and skied the Ski Route off the back of the Glazig down to St Christoph. With the Kandahar I always try to get as far left as possible. If I was to drop off the edge there I’m into happy valley aren’t I?

With the Osthang is it Over the edge where people load on that chair back up toward where people disembark the Galzigbahn?
ski holidays
kitenski - yes, but we settled on one that was a little further up the slope from those. Perhaps Heustadl? We adopted it and made it our home away from home. Happy
We're always interested in new suggestions though.
snow report
DanFuller wrote:
Thanks.

I’ve used the Kandahar and skied the Ski Route off the back of the Glazig down to St Christoph. With the Kandahar I always try to get as far left as possible. If I was to drop off the edge there I’m into happy valley aren’t I?

With the Osthang is it Over the edge where people load on that chair back up toward where people disembark the Galzigbahn?

Technically, if you drop off the side of Kandahar, you are in Bachseite. Steissbachtal is the valley floor at the bottom of Bachseite.

Last year, when Steissbachtal closed, there were no signs prohibiting entry into Bachseite downhill from the Tanzböden load. You were okay if you skied Bachseite, but tracked out before getting to the bottom. This year, the side of Kandahar is lined with the said signs to the top of the last pitch, ie roughly opposite the exit from Mattun. Not sure why the difference. That said, as mentioned above, both Bachseite and Steissbachtal have been thoroughly tracked out.
latest report
@DanFuller, the Osthang ski route runs along the right hand side of the blue piste from Galzig to the Osthang chair (the first part is basically piste). Just before you get to the bottom of the piste (the chair lift is in the opposite corner) the route goes right, there are a couple of ski route signs plus the usual red diamonds. Initially all very straight forward then turns into reasonably steep mogul field. It is not too long and ends up on the Zamermoos piste, if this is the usual carnage best go right past the service building, the ski route continues through the trees. This is no more than a track which ends up just above the Mooserwirt but is often more pleasant than the piste.
latest report
I'm bringing a friend from Chicago to St. Anton in two weeks. Good skier but he's never skied in Europe. He's in for quite a time. We want to do off-piste with a guide for a day and will need to rent ABS bags and probes. Does anyone know if this can be done just for the day? I'm checking the local sports shops in St. Anton and it looks like you need to do a 6-day avalanche package. Thanks!
snow report
This season has seen a huge increase in numbers of North Americans returning to The Arlberg after some years away..I know of at least 3 large groups (20-40 people) here now who have rented entire Hotels

Dollar must be strong Very Happy
ski holidays
I'm arriving in St Anton next Sunday. Can any of you recommend the best place to book a ski guide for a day or so? Do I need to book it asap to ensure availability or are there enough guides to allow us to plan around the conditions a little more as the forecasts become a little more certain?

Thanks in advance
snow report
Here's another NA coming over to Austria and yes that is out of the ordinary and a direct result of the recently snows. Last year though my son and I did ski Kitzbuhel in mid December in some very very good conditions. Normally we are in Switzerland each year and will return there in March.

Am bringing some couples who ski more casually and who, for some, this will likely be a one and done European ski adventure. Zermatt is great off piste but for cruising around we have chosen Lech. Have a guide for the week but not expecting too much. Hopeful for great pistes for my friends and perhaps a little adventure for the few of us that do ski off piste. Currently skiing in Colorado and it is very very good if anyone thinking about that. This forum has always been helpful.
ski holidays
@Brothergrimm, Enjoy! I was just snowed in in Zurs for four days, then spent another two in Lech. The skiing is currently fantastic, and with very cold temps forecasted for the next ten days, it should stay that way. The Arlberg is pretty magical. The mountains are just made for skiing -- chutes, bowls, trees and the villages are wonderful, all with their own vibe.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy