Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
Great morning just off Gampen and Galzig. Thigh deep in places and the higher lifts are closed.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@stanton, Is the road between Schnaan and Pettneu closed? Presumably you can divert onto the Schnellstrasse which has galleries at the vulnerable spots?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@craftybob, Of course, no problem....or did you mean Moshamarc?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@munich_irish, im in Innsbruck...

Check website

Emergency Situation in Effect

https://www.intra-stanton.com/help
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As of just now (15:00 UTC)

Quote:
The road L197 from St. Anton to St. Christoph is open.

The road L 68 between Pettneu and Schnann is closed.

The road to the Verwall Valley is closed.

So, presumably the schnellstrasse is open, the L68 is the local road I think
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes the schnellstrasse is open (S16). The L68 is, as you say, the smaller road that links Pettneu, Schnann, Flirsch, and it is closed between Pettneu and Schnann. Having no effect on the ski busses (bar minor delays), but the 4242 Postbus is only stopping at the Wellness Park for Pettneu.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

http://youtube.com/v/I2w9HTwWvlM

http://youtube.com/v/V171kR-_uMQ
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
❌ Update ❌

Audi FIS Ski World Cup - Arlberg Kandahar Rennen abgesagt

Aufgrund der enormen Neuschneemengen und der weiteren prognostizierten starken Schneefälle mussten die vorgesehenen Speed-Bewerbe der Damen in St. Anton am Arlberg bedauerlicherweise abgesagt werden. Zudem waren auch Sicherheitsgründe für die Absage entscheidend. Durch die erhöhte Lawinengefahr konnte die Sicherheit für die Pistenarbeiter nicht mehr gewährleistet werden. Diese Entscheidung fiel in enger Abstimmung zwischen den Verantwortlichen des Österreichischen Skiverbandes, der FIS und des Organisationskomitees in St. Anton am Arlberg.

Der Einsatz der unermüdlichen Pistencrew war enorm, bis heute wurden 120.000 Kubikmeter Schnee aus der Rennstrecke entfernt. Neben dem Rennen wurde auch das Rahmenprogramm abgesagt. Der Sportgipfel am 10. Januar 2019 findet wie geplant statt. Der nächste Weltcup-Termin in St. Anton steht 2021 auf dem Programm.⛷❄️
#arlbergkandaharrennen #akr2019 #stantonamarlberg #skiingiscominghomeJust announced. Women’s World Cup races at the weekend cancelled - too much snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Emergency situation? Shocked Never seen that before. Should I be cancelling my holiday (due to travel 12th)?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I’m heading over from Switzerland on 12th. There will be a bit of a break in weather Friday, Saturday so getting there will be ok. Sunday Monday will probably be a write off for skiing but Tuesday on should be fine so I wouldn’t cancel. Plenty bars to keep us busy for the first few days
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@malarkey99, when the storm weather clears midweek it’ll be fantastic

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 9-01-19 19:26; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@diarmuidlynch, thanks Very Happy Asked & insurers don’t cover it anyway - only covered if Foreign Office advise against travelling somewhere, so going to go regardless.
Husband will be in his element if gets to sit in pubs all day lol.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@malarkey99, a better description would be an "exceptional situation" and the local council has an Emergency Committee. The amounts of snow in the Arlberg are not as enormous as in some more easterly parts of Austria. Nevertheless the huge amount of snow that has fallen means that there are serious concerns about avalanches, hence the various road closures. Currently there does not seem to be any great issue accessing St Anton itself though anyone driving needs to take care. If you are not used to driving on snow best let others do it for you. Friday and Saturday are likely to see little new snowfall so there would be a good chance of some of the roads reopening.

The weather forecast from Saturday onwards suggests that after Sunday there will be far less snow with potential sunny days from Tuesday. When the snow stops falling the conditions are likely to be fantastic though venturing off piste will need careful thought for some time to come.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
malarkey99 wrote:
Emergency situation? Shocked Never seen that before. Should I be cancelling my holiday (due to travel 12th)?

Activated Last Season as well.

Austria is well practised in Civil Emrgency and Controls
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Markymark29 wrote:
@malarkey99, when the storm weather clears midweek it’ll be fantastic

It is looking to be snowing heavy Sun / Mon & will continue all next week , there maybe a small break on Tuesday..

Also the break in the weather this weekend will not be as long as previously thought...Maybe just enough time for Supply Trucks (priority) to get in & out of town

I cannot imagine any of the higher lifts being Open at all next week.

Their is also likely to be a Travel Curfew in the evening (after 17:00-19:00) on the Passes & Roads between Pettneu Schaan etc.
ski holidays
Sad news coming out of one dead in an avalanche today. RIP.

Be careful please everyone!
ski holidays
@clarky999, young guy too, real shame RIP
snow report
Some brilliant videos on social media of snow clearance going on, especially the Stuben and Lech ones. What a great job these guys do for us.....
snow report
what do you guys think will open sat/friday?
snow conditions
@saller1, I think it’ll be Midweek earliest until much is open at high level, until then just as high as Galzig I’d suspect. Looking at the heavy snow forecast over the weekend it’ll be more likely Wednesday/ Thursday before they open higher lifts. I suspect they will be working hard to get most open for weekend of 19/20th and next week will be a low level tree week with much disruption, Stuben and Lech road could be opened over weekend I think under convoy but may close again and reopen properly mid/ late next week after extensive snow clearance and blasting overhead.
latest report
This is just nuts... and a sense of déjà vu. We are due to arrive on Saturday. This time last year there was also a similar situation: people, like us, who came in on Saturday got in. The others were SOL. All access to St Anton was shut later that day, including railways. People were stuck in places like Innsbruck and Bregenz.

I seem to remember access only re-opened on the following Wednesday, by which time many had apparently gone home. I guess if you are on a 7-day trip, then there comes a point where it might be better to cut your losses, seek whatever you can get from insurance, and come back some other time.

Keeping a very wary eye on the ÖBB website...
ski holidays
The webcams for Warth and Lech make incredible viewing (those which aren’t blocked out by snow). Uncleared snow at village level almost up to the second storey of buildings and heaped metre/s on all pitched roofs. Currently -8C so it’s here to last.
snow report
Despite stanton's suggestion that the apocalypse is about to arrive the various forecasts suggest some let up in the snowfall and even sunshine next week.

ZAMG is now showing no weather warnings at all for Friday and Saturday and moderate warnings for Sunday and Monday

https://warnungen.zamg.at/html/de/heute/alle/at/

There are all sorts of weather forecasts, to pick one reasonably detailed one for St Anton

https://wepowder.com/en/st-anton-am-arlberg#valluga

Not so much snow in the next 48 hours or so, more snow from Saturday evening but might be rain on Sunday in the valleys rather than snow.

That is not to say suddenly all the dangers will go away, it will take some time to deal with snow loaded slopes threatening roads and pistes and off piste is to be approached with great care if at all. Even skiing amongst the trees is potentially problematic

https://wepowder.com/en/forum/topic/263151

There are posts elsewhere on the forum from folk who have had very scary experiences
snow conditions
ZAMG and the model used by the BBC show no rain above about 800 metres next week, instead blizzard conditions. St Anton for example will receive heavy snow from Saturday afternoon onwards lasting for several days.

With the differing strata of snow created by the variable weather over the last month, the avalanche danger will not be going away, far from it.
snow report
ZAMG and the model used by the BBC show no rain above about 800 metres next week, instead blizzard conditions. St Anton for example will receive heavy snow from Saturday afternoon onwards lasting for several days.

With the differing strata of snow created by the variable weather over the last month, the avalanche danger will not be going away, far from it.
ski holidays
Feeling Sad Sad We can’t afford numerous ski trips. Self employed, so it’s time as well as money. Had been really looking forward to going to St Anton for the first time - we will probably have another week in March, but sad that this trip is going to be such a dud.....
snow conditions
malarkey99 wrote:
Feeling Sad Sad We can’t afford numerous ski trips. Self employed, so it’s time as well as money. Had been really looking forward to going to St Anton for the first time - we will probably have another week in March, but sad that this trip is going to be such a dud.....

Don't write it off before you've even been! Skiing in tough conditions can be fun, honestly! It tends to be quieter, and although terrain may be limited by closures there will be some stuff to explore. Honestly, even if just the Fangbahn (low level 4 person chair) is open you can have a good few hours before warming up in the bar at the bottom.

I'm not sure what your plans are or what kind of skiing you like to do, but it the skiing is too limited maybe do something slightly different, e.g. book a lesson (great time to improve off piste skills Happy ), try some langlauf (if the tracks are open), visit the Arlberg.WELL maybe (I'd sooner go to the pub tbh), day trip to Innsbruck on the train.

And you are in the best place on earth for when the weather does clear. Seriously, it'll be worth it iwhen it does happen.
snow report
@malarkey99, Fret not! I've been to St. Anton in all weather conditions -- brilliant blue sky, pissing rain, practically snowless, and, yes, dumping snow. Regardless, it's always a wonderful time. Skiing might be a bit limited this time around (though it's so huge you're bound to find good stuff), but being snowed-in in a place that gorgeous isn't necessarily a bad thing. And the apres-ski is awlays going off. Enjoy!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All models (both EC and GFS) indicate that next week will see a change in weather (from Tuesday and onwards). Less snow will fall with some sort of high pressure influence (does not look that stable though). It also looks like it will get colder from next Tuesday and onwards. This cold weather might last for longer period.
ski holidays
@ArlbergMeister, exactly that. It's a holiday after all. Maybe not the one you expected but it still beats working Smile

@ulmerhutte's comment is worth reading though, when it gets very bad it is possible you can get stuck at an airport. I struggle to find and upside to that Sad Hopefully it won't get to that state, but it's worth being prepared (e.g. pack change of clothes, wash kit, phone charger, good book etc in carry on luggage in case you don't get your hold luggage straight away)
snow report
@malarkey99, ski in tree lined runs if the snow is heavy and the visibility poor, it helps massively. And enjoy! Rent some wider skis if the snow is fresh on the pistes. Many people would love a holiday with lots of fresh snow!
snow conditions
kitenski wrote:
@malarkey99, ski in tree lined runs if the snow is heavy and the visibility poor, it helps massively. And enjoy! Rent some wider skis if the snow is fresh on the pistes. Many people would love a holiday with lots of fresh snow!

+1... and you will have stories on which to dine out for years to come. “I was there in 2019...!”
snow conditions
Thank you cheer-up brigade Toofy Grin you are all right of course.
Make the most of it & be thankful it’s not sodding Les Crosets - last time I was stuck in storm bound place - there is absolutely NOTHING there. Was so bored. The debate each day was how early was too early to start drinking!
snow report
@malarkey99, I was there in 1999 when we were snowed in for almost a week, in Lech last year when we were the last car in before they shut the snow gates for a week, and arriving in 9 days time expecting great things. Its simply the best snow conditions and experience you'll have imo, knee deep (or better) powder on patrolled pistes, and OK you dont get the high level vistas like you would on a bluebiird week but the powder is amazing. Most people dont ski but those who do have a ball. Stay low and in the trees. If you are flying into MUC or ZHR you should be OK, I suspect IBK will be closed though. Its winter after all.

There'll be loads of people who ski France will be looking at Arlberg and rest of Austria wishing they had the issue of too much snow rather than too little, enjoy it is my advice - it only happens a few times in your life.
ski holidays
Skiing holiday ruined by snow! I absolutely love storm riding. @malarkey99 you'll be living my dream. I'm just praying that we get some when we arrive on the 27th.
latest report
@malarkey99, I would not be too sad. In January especially there is always a risk of bad weather days, full weeks of bluebird days are rare. If the forecast that the weather will clear from Tuesday onwards is correct there could be great conditions, certainly on piste. Keep your fingers crossed.
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
❌ Update ❌

#arlbergkandaharrennen #akr2019 #stantonamarlberg #skiingiscominghomeJust announced. Women’s World Cup races at the weekend cancelled - too much snow.

There was me debating whether to watch the downhill on sunday or try the new lift to get out to parts of the Arlberg that I have never been to. Looks like I will not be doing either on Sunday now Laughing
latest report
Quote:

I suspect IBK will be closed though. Its winter after all.

Funny if it wasn't so true... Sad Best hope you get diverted to MUC and they lay on a coach if that's the case.

Quote:

it only happens a few times in your life.

Except to you, when it seems to happen every season Toofy Grin . I've missed you by a week in St Anton on 2 or 3 occasions, every time you've had epic snow and I've just had normal conditions (which is OK of course). The last time I skied really deep snow in St Anton was 2008 (but that was proper arm pit deep in places).
snow report
IBK airport is open today, and while it is still snowing, it is a lot lighter than it was yesterday and the forecast is not too much snow till Sunday, so Saturday travellers should be fine. Hopefully.
latest report
malarkey99 wrote:
Thank you cheer-up brigade Toofy Grin you are all right of course.
Make the most of it & be thankful it’s not sodding Les Crosets - last time I was stuck in storm bound place - there is absolutely NOTHING there. Was so bored. The debate each day was how early was too early to start drinking!

Mate you're looking at this completely the wrong way! Many people would kill to be heading to the Arlberg with all this snow!

Personally storm powder skiing in the trees is my favourite type of skiing. Just takes a bit of practise and getting used to. Wider skis, stay low, learn to ski the soft stuff on piste. Conditions aren't bad in the Arlberg/Austria atm, they're bloody epic! You should be stoked, not sad!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy