Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
Langerzug wrote:
@Alastair Pink,
It is “mein Freund wird”....
Nothing worse than Brits trying German...(apart from Brits claiming that for St.Anton chains are unnecessary 100%)
Not true. Locals usually appreciate you making the effort. I find it incredibly arrogant of Brits and Americans to just assume that everyone speaks their language.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Steilhang, +1
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its a great language, something wonderfully logical about it. Kopfkisser, Handschue.

Very, germanic.

Plus a LOT easier to speak to a native than french. Accent more attainable by anglo saxons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Road closures today...

Major Snow /Wind this week...expect lift closures
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Plus a LOT easier to speak to a native than french

And the French can be less appreciative of one's efforts than German-speakers. Though in my Alpine neck of the French woods few people speak much English so I have often been told (quite wrongly) that I speak good French, simply because I've saved them the trouble. I did make some terrible errors in German - including asking for snake (schlange) when I wanted cream (schlage) which was bad enough, before being told later, when I told our Austrian hostess of my mistake, that in local parlance schlange was a slang word for a prostitute.... I've forgotten it all now, though rather pointlessly I can still reel off a list of prepositions that take the accusative. And another of those which take the dative. rolling eyes And chunks of mis-spelt opera (die holle rache kocht in meine Herzen Twisted Evil)
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I detect some spam in this thread
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It was something like spam that the bemused shop-keeper kept offering me, in response to my request for schlange...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Arlberg attracts truely International clientale

English is widely spoken ...

German is appreciated..but not needed however for English speakers it should be easy

All Austrians under 35yrs are very proficient in English ..

Lets not get stressed ...Think POW!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Folks..Applies all of Tirol Voralberg and beyond

If your travelling you should check ...

Many roads are closed Avalanche danger all this week...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
My wife and I are thinking about driving over from Switzerland this weekend (it's a quick drive in good conditions -- 1:20). Too risky to book a hotel for Fri-Sun with potential road closures? Or do you think we'll be able to get to St. Anton or one of the other towns?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Steilhang, +1
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@ArlbergMeister, I’d be there if I wasnt at work, go on the train, book now.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Markymark29 wrote:
@ArlbergMeister, I’d be there if I wasnt at work, go on the train, book now.

Thanks! I was told the danger is with this much snow coming down an avalanche could block the tunnel?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ArlbergMeister, the main road from Switzerland thru Arlbertunnel is open. Arlbergpass is closed between Langen and St. Christoph.
https://www.oeamtc.at/verkehrsservice/?region=at-7&view=verkehr#OEAMTC_185019
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Trains & Snow

The problem is when it snow so much.. The weight of the snow on the trees Bludenz to Landeck (Arlberg) brings down the trees onto the railway line..but can bring down the oveehead power lines

They get them cleared & fiixed damn quick ....

Still better than driving ..
snow report
A few more food words

In Bavaria its Leberkäse, a Leberkäsesemmel is the local equivalent of a bacon sarnie (note in Bavaria and Austria a roll is Semmel not Brötchen). The Bavarians seem to like one with a Weissbier for breakfast Smile

The nearest to meatloaf is Frikadeller, known as Bulette in Berlin, Fleischpfanzerl in Bavaria and Faschierte Laibchen in Austria. It looks a bit like a hamburger.

Normal beer is often called "Helles", this is a Munich / Bavarian imported word as the main type of Bier in Munich is called Helles. Biers like Augustiner (Jules in St Anton and Salz & Pfeffer in Ischgl sell it, I guess more places do too) and Tegernseer (which you can get at the Mooserwirt if you ask) are very popular and lots of folk from Munich ski in Austria. Note you ask for ein Helles bitte but zwei (drei, vier...) Helle bitte.

Although not really grammatically correct (so probably wont appear in Duolingo) to ask for the bill is , die Zahlung bitte.

However you will have no problems being being understood if you only speak in English.
snow report
Do they sell/rent snow chains in Landeck or St. Anton?
latest report
@monkbeer, get them before you get near, if in town already try MPreis fuel or Shell at Nasserein.
snow report
Thanks @Markymark29. Does the bus from St. Anton to Lech operate in snowy weather and chains are mandatory?
snow conditions
The Post Bus runs every day when the road is open. In a normal season there are very few days when the Arlbergpass and/or Flexenpass are closed.

Trucks and buses are required to fit chains fairly often. There is an indicator board just outside West Terminal that provides info on road status and chain requirements.

I cannot remember noticing a requirement to fit them to cars. Cars however do need to be fitted with winter tyres.

Disclaimer... I don’t drive in StA, so I do not pay much attention to chain requirements.
snow report
@monkbeer, read the posts above for a long argument about snow chains in St Anton.

The latest official info (from the tourist office website)
Quote:
For the B 197 Arlbergpassroad between St. Anton and St. Christoph cars need winter tyres and trucks need snow chains. For the B 197 Arlbergpassroad between Stuben and Alpe Rauz and for the B 198 Lechtal road (Flexenpass) all vehicles need snow chains, except four-wheel-drive cars uphill. The road between Lech and Warth is closed. The B 197 Arlbergpassroad between Alpe Rauz and St. Christoph is closed.

As the Arlberg pass is closed so there can be no buses between St Anton and Zürs / Lech, this is unusual as the road is open most of the time. Given that the Flexenbahn and the Valluga are also closed there is no direct way between the two places unless you climb over the ridge, not a good idea given the current avalanche risk.
ski holidays
munich_irish wrote:
A few more food words
In Bavaria its Leberkäse, a Leberkäsesemmel is the local equivalent of a bacon sarnie (note in Bavaria and Austria a roll is Semmel not Brötchen). The Bavarians seem to like one with a Weissbier for breakfast Smile

I know some translation sites on the Internet translate "Leberkäse" to "Meatloaf". The word for word translation is "liver cheese". Although the Bavarians might eat a Leberkäsesemmel as often as us Brits have a bacon sarnie, to me Leberkäse is more like cooked spam. "Speck" is the closest to bacon although it's not quite the same. You can't get a more british bacon butty than one with Danish bacon. wink
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, chains were obligatory for all vehicles (no exceptions) this weekend between St.Christoph and St.Jacob.
It really is dangerous BS that so many people here are telling that chains are not necessary for St.Anton.
snow report
@DB, in Bavaria Leberkäse does not contain Leber, and also no cheese. The word Leber is probably derived from Laib, meaning loaf or body. Not sure where the Käse comes from!
ski holidays
@Langerzug, let it go. You are starting to (are?) becoming obnoxious. Did I say that chains were never necessary in the Arlberg? At best, you could interpret my post, if you had the comprehension skills of anything better than a 12-year-old that they are rarely needed for cars in the Arlberg.
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@ulmerhutte, chains were obligatory for all vehicles (no exceptions) this weekend between St.Christoph and St.Jacob.
It really is dangerous BS that so many people here are telling that chains are not necessary for St.Anton.

From St Jacob to St Anton they almost never are. And if they are it will be clear beforehand due to exceptional weather being forecast.

St Anton to St Christoph (starting at the roundabout by Glazig/train station) is clearly a completely different matter!
snow conditions
it's the same with sex. You only occasionally get the chance to use chains, but it's nice to know you have them ready just in case.
ski holidays
Hmmm... in my circles, chains and sex don't really come up in the same conversation, but do tell!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was gonna write “no chains here, only giant cable ties” Laughing Laughing but couldn’t face resurrecting the snowchains spat/chat...so....since it’s my first trip to St Anton this Saturday any top tips? We are mostly on piste skiers. I tend to play within sight of the piste as am a feartie!
Thanks for all the foodie words btw. Learning German going brilliantly, today I’ve learnt to ask for an apple & say “no idea”, can see the latter being highly useful Very Happy
snow report
Live Snow Chaos Ticker Tirol

http://liveblog.tt.com/live/winter-in-tirol
ski holidays
Official Weather

After a short period of improved conditions expected at Monday night a new front system will provide a period of very windy and unsettled weather establishing itself on Tuesday afternoon. Winter weather is expected. New productive snowfalls are expected, deeply wintry cold conditions are forecast again. Behind the front from Tuesday a significant north-westerly stau will build up at the north side of the Alps. Continuously heavy snowfalls are expected for longer. More settled conditions are expected not until Thursday night. However, the period of more settled conditions will probably be brief. Further unsettled west to north-westerly weather conditions are forecast for the weekend.
latest report
Steilhang wrote:
@DB, in Bavaria Leberkäse does not contain Leber, and also no cheese. The word Leber is probably derived from Laib, meaning loaf or body. Not sure where the Käse comes from!

Thanks didn't realise "Leber" probably came from „Laib" which makes sense, I know there is no cheese in it and don't understand why they use "Käse" either. The first Vögel Salat somebody ordered for me I spent 10 mins looking for the bird in it. Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 7-01-19 16:42; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@ulmerhutte, @clarky999,
Well, last week I was warning for the possibility of chains being obligatory this weekend, as indeed happened.
Yet many here were still claiming ‘not necessary’
So, I’m fine with being obnoxious. I like this thread to be helpfull, instead of some macho-show of self proclaimed experts that often turnout to ‘know nothing’, potentially leading to dangerous situations.

About danger: A crisis-team for Tirol is being formed in light of the coming snow the coming days.
Lots of references to 1999 are being made...
snow report
Langerzug wrote:
@ulmerhutte, @clarky999,
Well, last week I was warning for the possibility of chains being obligatory this weekend, as indeed happened.

Just to check re the Chains - sorry if I missed - so if you have a 4x4 with great winter tyres were they making you use chains? Totally not needed in my car, curious if they are blanket mandating them?

Re 1999 - Scary hey.. that was after a whole month of non stop - 3 storms of a week long each with no let up, pretty much. I was in Cham that winter Sad - Levels a long way off that so far in terms of total snow / base. Fingers crossed.
latest report
Lots of powder at Rendl today, just skiing from Riffel 1 down to the Maas lift and repeated many times. Riffel 2 was closed.
snow conditions
@Alex A, if they say you have to, you have to no; matter what bus you're driving.
ski holidays
Alex A wrote:
Langerzug wrote:
@ulmerhutte, @clarky999,

Just to check re the Chains - sorry if I missed - so if you have a 4x4 with great winter tyres were they making you use chains? Totally not needed in my car, curious if they are blanket mandating them?

Re 1999 - Scary hey.. that was after a whole month of non stop - 3 storms of a week long each with no let up, pretty much. I was in Cham that winter Sad - Levels a long way off that so far in terms of total snow / base. Fingers crossed.

Standard scenario in snowy weather is:

1. chains OR 4x4 + winter tyres
2. (next level) 4x4 + winter tyres allowed uphill (ie to St Christoph/over the Pass/etc); chains required for everyone else and all downhill
3. (next level and v rare - never had it personally despite driving through St Anton and over the pass 150+ times in the last few years) chains for everyone everywhere
4. road closed (almost always due to avalanche danger rather than driving conditions)

I'd be very curious to hear the last time chains were mandated for all vehicles between the motorway (Landeck side) and St Anton. I've never heard of it happening before.

--------------------------

Yep, avalanche commission warning of a "catastrophic" situation and the real possibility of some valleys being completely cut off for days...
ski holidays
Markymark29 wrote:
.check your winter sports insurance includes being drunk in charge of a sledge at 50 kph and 180 degree bends! Toofy Grin

It won't even include sledging sober at 5mph.
ski holidays
@Alex A, The quote above was the English version (from the Lech website) of the restrictions as of Monday evening

Quote:
For the B 197 Arlbergpassroad between St. Anton and St. Christoph cars need winter tyres and trucks need snow chains. For the B 197 Arlbergpassroad between Stuben and Alpe Rauz and for the B 198 Lechtal road (Flexenpass) all vehicles need snow chains, except four-wheel-drive cars uphill. The road between Lech and Warth is closed. The B 197 Arlbergpassroad between Alpe Rauz and St. Christoph is closed.

As you can see 4x4 vehicles were allowed to drive towards Zürs and Lech without snow chains but they were required for driving down towards Langen

The current situation (in German, but should be understandable ) is available at https://www.oeamtc.at/verkehrsservice/?region=at-7&view=verkehr (Schneekettenpflicht = chains required, Schneekettenpflicht für LKW, ab 3,5 t = chains required only for vehicles over 3.5t GVW ). Currently the Arlbergpass between St Anton and Langen is chains for larger vehicles.

The biggest issue for the next few days is avalanche risk, if it does snow heavily multiple road closures and villages being "cut off" are likely.

If the avalanche risk is raised to a level 5 that would result in a widespread shut down of resorts and transport infrastructure. However that remains only a possible scenario at the moment, as the weather forecast (as always) is uncertain.
ski holidays
Folks...

Chillout

Its going to Dump ..

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy