Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
There is nothing this forum likes more than an argument over snow chains Very Happy . I know his views are sometimes a bit eccentric but given stanton is a taxi driver in St Anton he might know what he is talking about on this occasion. If snowmeggedon hits, like it did last January, then the roads get closed snow chains or not. There are a few places where chains might come in handy, getting to Lech for one (I think the Flexenpass is the highest road pass in the alps which is kept open in the winter), especially if you plan on going to more out of the way places. However most ski villages in Austria (unlike in France) are on or just off main valley roads which are kept clear enough to drive on by cars equipped with winter tyres, St Anton is a perfect example.

Once you get to the resort let the bus or taxi drivers worry about the road conditions, much easier all round.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@munich_irish, only times I've had to use chains have been on Flexenpass (1770m) and Julierpass (2200m). The latter on the way back to Chur because police were not letting you over without chains.
Roads out of St.Anton are flat. Why would the police require chains?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Steilhang, Absolutely
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stanton wrote:
@malarkey99
If coming from Zurich, Innsbruck or Munich take the train!

We'd love some of your expert wisdom oh wise one. Some of us do a lot of driving for work and like to use public transport when on holiday if at all possible.

We land at INN on an early morning flight and would like to enjoy one of the local areas on the first day. The current plan is to head for Stubai with Schlick as backup if the weather dictates.

Then to our accommodation at the Nasserein end of St Jakob before 8pm.

As the font of all Arlberg knowledge please give us a detailed itinerary including times and costs for our journey.

We excitedly await the Oracle's sage and generous advice.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@malarkey99, who are you flying with? Is that a direct flight??? It's an easy drive from memmingem - done it a few years back when we were at Kappl. I've booked BA via Heathrow for my trip in march but am always looking for direct flight from Scotland
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Snow Hound,

From Insbruck Airport it costs by Bus F €2.60 to Innsbruck Hauptbahnhof.or downtown takes 8-10mins

Train to St Anton costs €16:80 2nd class ..1st class a little bit more ..Travel tome 1 hr 7 mins.
(If ypu have any vorteil cards it will be half the price)

Use Free Ski shuttle from St Anton Terminal West to Naserein otherwise it will cost you €15 taxi.

Innsbruck ..you can use the tram 6 to get to Fulpmes

Bus goes to Axium Lizum

https://www.innsbruck.info/nl/innsbruck-city/beleven/sightseeing-in-innsbruck/strassenbahnlinie-6-und-stubaitalbahn.html

A car is really not needed ..

Do you have parking (included) at your accomodation?? If not it will cost you €7.50 (min) per day ..
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski wrote:
@malarkey99, who are you flying with? Is that a direct flight??? It's an easy drive from memmingem - done it a few years back when we were at Kappl. I've booked BA via Heathrow for my trip in march but am always looking for direct flight from Scotland

£10 direct flight with Ryanair from Edinburgh. Think it was another 20 quid to add a bag. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Our StA friends are reporting 40cm from this current storm, with more to come.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@malarkey99, cheers. Will look out for that next time round.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

http://youtube.com/v/yVz4kzkO4HE
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stanton wrote:

Excellent! What area is this?

SA website is saying the toboggan run is closed. Too much snow or only open on Thursday evenings?

Where's the best place for dinner pre/post toboggan?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stanton, Jumping on the bandwagon - what would a taxi cost from StA to Zug for 4 people early evening?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@puplett, 4 people your need a minibus..most taxis are Happy Happy

If your lucky between €60-70
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@craftybob, Rodelbahn.. needs to cleared...Ig to much wind that can cause Nassereinbahn closure. The organisers have their own restuarant (very good) at the bottom o the run..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@craftybob, Av risk i'd think and/ or pistes are more important to clear/ prep than rodelbahn right now, until now not enough snow but that will change now. Once open its great fun, and should open in next few days....keeps the knee klinik busy with plenty of punters....check your winter sports insurance includes being drunk in charge of a sledge at 50 kph and 180 degree bends! Toofy Grin
snow report
@puplett, catch the Post Bus
snow conditions
@stanton, Cheers.
@Markymark29, last bus goes too early for us.
latest report
@puplett, ah, Apres ski...... wink
snow report
@Markymark29, sussed!
ski holidays
To much stress from you holiday folks.

Just get here & chillout..

Organising sht is stresss..

Once here everything is taken care of

The vaxation is only over when......

"Honey im Home"
latest report
craftybob wrote:
stanton wrote:

Excellent! What area is this?

SA website is saying the toboggan run is closed. Too much snow or only open on Thursday evenings?

Where's the best place for dinner pre/post toboggan?

Halfway down the track is the Rodelalm (watch you don’t miss the turnoff) also open during the day and has some of the best food on the mountain. Rodelstall is immediately at the finish of the run. Both owned by the same family and both excellent. Best to book a table.
latest report
Latest Situation at Innsbruck Airport

‎https://www.tt.com/panorama/wetter/15182250/schneechaos-in-tirol-ueberall-staus-probleme-am-flughafen-innsbruck
ski holidays
Saturday...= Private Powder !!
ski holidays
Heavy snow all day and very poor visibility (at top of Galzig). Skied most of the day but it was quite hard going.
snow conditions
Snow, snow & more snow
First time at St Anton next weekend. Can’t wait Very Happy am even trying to learn some German ( Puzzled it’s confusing...Duolingo seems to go on an awful lot about we/you/they are men/women/girls/boys...been at it sodding ages & still no clue re the important restaurant/ski/beer stuff)
snow conditions
…. noch ein beer bitte ….. snowHead
snow conditions
Bier.....

ein Weissbier bitte (cloudy wheat beer)

eine Willi bitte (pear schnapps)

einer (zwei, drei, vier.....) Fliegender bitte (Jägerbomb)

eine runde noch bitte (another round please, though in smaller bars they will mark your beer mat every time they serve a drink and you pay at the end, dont throw away your beer mat.....)

Jägertee - black tea with a shot of Stroh (60%) rum, just the thing to warm you up on a cold day

Tiroler Gröstl - sort of meat (pork) hash, perfect pre drinking stodge

Pommes - chips

Currywurst - sausage covered in tomato sauce and (very mild) curry powder

Käsekrainer - Austrian sausage stuffed with cheese just in case you feel the need for extra lard

Kaiserschmarn - chopped up pancake with raisins and apple sauce, best shared amongst lots of folk, it is very filling

Dont worry about Sie / du, ein / einer / einen / eine etc etc life's too short Very Happy
snow report
Excellent! The important stuff thank you #dumpduolingoitsshit
Can I enrol on German beer/food lessons on here bitte?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@munich_irish, what's the phrase for "my friend will pay"? Laughing
ski holidays
What is that meatloaf thing called that’s served in a bread roll with mustard?
snow report
blondends wrote:

I have no idea and in 5 days I will be back for my 17th visit, so it is nothing front & centre of my memory... unless you are referring to a hamburger. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
this morning chains obligatory for all cars (no exceptions) between St.Christoph and St.Jacob.
ski holidays
I have had it served up warm in a bar and a supermarket in Saalbach and Kitz. They slice it for you there and then. I’ve always just pointed and asked for “Ein bitte”.
ski holidays
Ok, so google to the rescue... it’s called Leberkase.
latest report
blondends wrote:

It's Leberkäse (which literally means Liver cheese, but there ain't no cheese in it). They translate it to English as meatloaf but actually the closest thing is cooked luncheon meat. It can be served in a bread roll as you say or often it's a main dish with Spiegelei (fried egg) and mashed potato. Nom nom. Smile

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 6-01-19 11:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Arctic Roll wrote:
@munich_irish, what's the phrase for "my friend will pay"? Laughing

Mein Freund werde bezahlen. wink
snow conditions
@Alastair Pink,
It is “mein Freund wird”....
Nothing worse than Brits trying German...(apart from Brits claiming that for St.Anton chains are unnecessary 100%)
latest report
Alastair Pink wrote:
blondends wrote:

It's Leberkäse (which literally means Liver cheese, but there ain't no cheese in it). They translate it to English as meatloaf but actually the closest thing is cooked luncheon meat. It can be served in a bread roll as you say or often it's a main dish with Spiegelei (fried egg) and mashed potato. Nom nom. Smile

Only Lebekäse in Vienna - Fleischkäs in the rest of Austria wink Comes in several varieties, including plain, with (injected, I assume!) cheese, and peppers. Cheesy version is the best though!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 6-01-19 13:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Nothing worse than Brits trying German...

That's not a universal sentiment. Whenever I spoke my O level German, whether in Germany or Austria, I was always gratified by how very polite and appreciative the response was.
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
@Alastair Pink,
It is “mein Freund wird”....
Nothing worse than Brits trying German...(apart from Brits claiming that for St.Anton chains are unnecessary 100%)

Actually it's 'naaaa ma Freund zohlt des'. Nothing worse than speaking Hochdeutsch in Austria NehNeh

And come on, re. chains to St Anton, it takes really truly exceptional weather for them to be needed, let alone mandatory. The Pass is obviously something else (though even driving over it on a weekly basis never needed them with 4x4 and winter tyres), but it's all flat on the St Anton side. 99.99% unnecessary maybe. Even when avi danger topped out at L5 last year and all roads were shut for a while chains weren't mandatory.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 6-01-19 13:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy