Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
@munich_irish, its over. That was the Supreme court. ..

One lift from Kappl could link it with Ischgl...

If they really want to linl with St Anton a Tunnel would satisfy the Nature folks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rendl will remain quiet & Malfontal is saved !!

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 3-12-18 6:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stanton wrote:

If they really want to linl with St Anton a Tunnel would satisfy the Nature folks

What were they trying to do in the first place?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
For those intersted you can read about this link over on the German Forum.

https://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=32713

Hopefully this decision will put a Halt to all these unecessary ski resort expansions in Austria.

There are enough lifts ...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton wrote:

maybe not quite over yet...
Quote:
unseren Mitarbeitern und unseren Destinatiosnpartner gegenüber verantwortlich sind und für uns der Blick nach vorne zählt.“ Offen ist noch, ob man in eine außerordentliche Revision geht.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton wrote:
@DanFuller, all the info etc is in this thread and or previus seasons threads .

Hero to the common man. Thanks
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DanFuller wrote:
stanton wrote:
@DanFuller, all the info etc is in this thread and or previus seasons threads .

Hero to the common man. Thanks
normal behaviour for stanton. In case you don't want to grind through the whole lot, it's about connecting St. Anton with Kappl over in the next valley (Paznauntal). For Kappl this is a fairly existential issue. For St. Anton a nice to have. Anyway the project has now been stopped in it's tracks on the basis of a report generated by a 'landscape gardener' in Vienna... The chaps in St.A and Kappl are not impressed to put it mildly!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Steilhang,

There was also a change in the law recently regarding approval process.

I doubt Arlberg Operators will invest anymore money on this (revisions) when they have plenty of existing projects to finance

I Hope its Dead now
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@stanton, I think you are right about the Arlberg folk not being too bothered but for Kappl it is a different matter. Dont be surprised if this is not the end of the road for this particular saga, perhaps they will pursue the Ischgl link (though that seems even more of an issue than the St Anton link although far less village politics involved) or simply tweak the proposal and resubmit. I suspect the biggest issue is actually continuing to raise the funds to pay for all this especially if the Arlberg have other priorities.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
munich_irish wrote:
@stanton, I think you are right about the Arlberg folk not being too bothered but for Kappl it is a different matter. Dont be surprised if this is not the end of the road for this particular saga, perhaps they will pursue the Ischgl link (though that seems even more of an issue than the St Anton link although far less village politics involved) or simply tweak the proposal and resubmit. I suspect the biggest issue is actually continuing to raise the funds to pay for all this especially if the Arlberg have other priorities.

Kappl need to talk to their rich neighbours who like building lifts.

We know now the Rendl - Kappl will not go ahead but this is how Kappl can be linked to Ischgl......... However, unless they lodged the plans before about 2005 it is unlikely to be allowed due to the Lift Ban (except replacement & old variants)

Verbinding Ski Arlberg - Kappl - Silvretta Arena from wintersport.nl
https://vimeo.com/147732741
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Even on the German News Channel

https://www.br.de/mediathek/video/erschliessung-im-malfontal-skischaukel-zwischen-st-anton-und-der-silvretta-av:5c05132a0383f0001c0f58fc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

http://youtube.com/v/9ItO0jhcX1k
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lech/Zurs now currently snow/sleet/rain...should accumulate a bit up higher but its Warm !!

Same tomorrow
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Strategieprozess „St. Anton 2030

This is a Group of 60 locals from the municipalities (St Anton, Flirsh, Pettneu,Strengen etc ) of the Stanzertal

"""Fazit: Die Region soll noch mehr als bisher den Fokus auf den sportlich-aktiven Gast richten.""

Conclusion: The region should focus even more than before on the athletic-active guest

"""Die Region müsse weiterhin das „Epizentrum des Skisports“ und Vorreiter und Innovator rund ums Skifahren sein. ""

The region must continue to be the "epicenter of skiing" and a pioneer and innovator all about skiing

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@stanton, there's a surprise. They must have thought long and hard about that.
snow report
Steilhang wrote:
@stanton, there's a surprise. They must have thought long and hard about that.

There is lot more in the Strategieprozess „St. Anton 2030

One thing for sure ...not the direction Ischgl has gone Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

More Races
A lot more focus on Summer ..
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/dOzW24-_F9M
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/DVPFaSoUr6o
ski holidays
So the Stanzertal is aiming to promote juggling as a good reason to visit? Sure that will bring in many more visitors Madeye-Smiley.

I thought an "epicentre" was the location of an earthquake - https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/epicentre nothing to do with sliding around on frozen water.
latest report
Does anyone know what the plans are for the next few days with regard to opening lifts and pistes? My only opportunity for skiing in the near future is this weekend (I know delay until the middle of next week but not possible or the following weekends.....) so need to make a decision. As always would much prefer the Arlberg but not keen on spending the entire time doing laps of the Kandahar run so probably will have to be Ischgl. There does seem to have been a fair amount of new snow even if not at village level but how long before more lifts and pistes open?
snow conditions
Kandahar's only open as an itinerary (or was yesterday), and Osthang's considerably narrower. Went up first thing yesterday and it was nice, powder turns, but soon got choppy as the various Anwaerter and Ski Austria training groups arrived. It was still snowing higher, but outside the pisted/canon covered spots coverage was still thin so would need quite a bit more to be able to open more up. Hopefully the snow we've had and are due to get will help. Not going up today, but will be tomorrow so hopefully give you more info then.
snow report
@munich_irish, Its pre Xmas, there is no rush for them to open anything more..its just un-economic as the town is completely empty.

Its just weekenders from Germany & local getting some turns in before the season starts

Rendl never gets open unitl Xmas Week

It will turn colder weekend onwards & snow is coming from Saturday night onwards ....
latest report
@Sitter, @stanton, That's pretty much confirmed what I thought. There is a big snowfall forecast from Saturday lunchtime to Tuesday so Wednesday next week onwards looks to be the time but doesnt fit in with work or family stuff Sad . Will have to content myself with the rich peoples plastic playground in Ischgl
snow conditions
@munich_irish,
All of the North-Alps will have blizzard like conditions this weekend, especially sunday and monday.
According to some forecasts Valluga might get 2 meters of snow between friday and tuesday. A real dump, with high winds: very limited skiing most likely, closed lifts, pistes and routes. Ischgl is not going to be much better, you will have to head to the south-Alps.
latest report
What is the current status of the Steissbachtal avalanche measures?
Weatherforecast for this weekend sounds like a recipe for another “gleitschnee” season...
snow conditions
We're headed to St Anton the week before Christmas. Never been before. Just now there looks to be very little open, maybe 5% of the lifts & runs. If it snows this weekend, how soon will they open the rest? If Rendl never opens before Christmas, is that also true for other areas?
snow report
Is it safe to book to go to Lech next weekend (15th) yet? I am desperate to book!
snow conditions
@chomski, you will be fine. In the course of next week probably all of the main ski area will be open, including the link to Zürs/Lech and Warth. Only issue seeing the huge snow forecast might be avalanche danger. Last season, when snow came in november, all of the main ski area was open at season-start, 1 december.
Rendl will probably open around the 22 of dec, at the start of main season.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@chomski, I'd be less convinced about 15 December as a must go week but certainly 22.12 week will be all open, week prior maybe a big week for piste prep on Gampen and Galzig so Rendl may slip. I'm arriving 22.12 and no worries at all......Arlberg always delivers!
latest report
@Langerzug, Dont have much option, I dont want to drive so will use the train (hence needing somewhere reasonably near Munich), the lower Tirol / Salzburgerland really doesnt have enough snow to be worthwhile whatever the lift companies might claim. Personally think glacier skiing not worth the effort. It really leaves only Obergurgl or Ischgl of which Ischgl is the better option. If I could I would wait until the middle of next week but not an option for other reasons.

As you are aware the latest information on the Steissbachtal is a state secret only available on a need to know basis, even then only in Dutch Madeye-Smiley
latest report
munich_irish wrote:
Does anyone know what the plans are for the next few days with regard to opening lifts and pistes? My only opportunity for skiing in the near future is this weekend (I know delay until the middle of next week but not possible or the following weekends.....) so need to make a decision. As always would much prefer the Arlberg but not keen on spending the entire time doing laps of the Kandahar run so probably will have to be Ischgl. There does seem to have been a fair amount of new snow even if not at village level but how long before more lifts and pistes open?

I thought easily half of Ischgl is open (keeping an eye on it myself for January). Looks like about 50% on the current map.
snow report
@munich_irish, coming weekend the lack of snow is not the main issue. Weather is simply going to be very severe. Think road/rail/lift/village closures.
Ischgl and Obergurgl in a blizzard? rolling eyes
latest report
Langerzug wrote:
What is the current status of the Steissbachtal avalanche measures?
Weatherforecast for this weekend sounds like a recipe for another “gleitschnee” season...

With the current weather in Austria the last few months (almost drought , dry since last winter) I expect the same this season with Steißbachtal..

Lets put it htis way ...The Beautiful Valley in the Summertime that the two family's refuse to be scared has not seen any Iron work Erected & I doubt will ever (environmentalists are winning in the courts nowadays)

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 5-12-18 14:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
chomski wrote:
We're headed to St Anton the week before Christmas. Never been before. Just now there looks to be very little open, maybe 5% of the lifts & runs. If it snows this weekend, how soon will they open the rest? If Rendl never opens before Christmas, is that also true for other areas?

With big dumps , upper lift stay closed mostly due to wind but also because they cannot blast in areas they cannnot see,

Most of the Area has Gazex which is automated

I expect Rendl to open probably weekend 15/17.

Dont worry Arlberg is a huge area there will be plenty of vertical to ski..
latest report
This weekend will be full with Germans from Munich etc.. for Mosserwirt (no skiing)

https://www.mooserwirt.at/de/tv/apres-ski-hits/
latest report
Rendl/Kappl

Chamber of Commerce Business Chairman already criticizing the decision

https://www.meinbezirk.at/landeck/c-lokales/prantauer-unverstaendlich-wie-mit-unternehmen-umgegangen-wird_a3080382
snow conditions
Even St Anton is worried about Brexit

https://www.tt.com/wirtschaft/standorttirol/15089879/tvb-st-anton-abgaben-werden-hoeher

BTW-...

Local Tax rises €2.60 to €3 per night next season (2019/2020)
latest report
@stanton, contrary to what you were saying earlier, an appeal in the Rendl-Kappl case is still possible.
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/Mqtb1lRUGto
ski holidays
Just about freezing up here on Galzig ...Warm downtown ... Sad

This is OFFICIAL

With a first cold front cooler air will reach us on Friday night. Moreover, a north-westerly stau will build up, which will bring larger amounts of new snow to the north side of the Alps from Sunday until Tuesday. The snow line will establish itself in the valleys. Calmer conditions are expected, but not before next midweek.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy