Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
@mcgroa, you will need to allow at least 3 hours to and from MUC, it is possible to do it a bit quicker but not to be relied upon for an airport transfer and at high season the drive could well be longer. There are various places with potential traffic jams depending on exactly when you drive. As mentioned Zürich is a better alternative than Munich and works much better for train transfers which are a lot less stress and potentially cheaper than car. Where are you flying from?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for that - any LON airport, but might even try BHX. Will wait until EZY release their flights April 1 and see what I can snag. Or Drive or take the train.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@mcgroa, you might want to check Swiss, they might not be as cheap as Easyjet can potentially be but they fly from both LHR and LCY to Zürich and with a lot less chance of getting caught with "extras" like baggage and ski carriage costs. You get free chocolate too Very Happy .
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Echoing above - we’ve flown MAN/ MUC Lufthansa for years and the transfer is getting worse, 4 hours minimum peak times.we now fly Swiss ZRH and use trains. More expensive but holidays are for enjoying not sat in queues on autobahns.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are other ways to fly here and train ride

https://peoples.ch/mobile-home
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thx - LON ZUR is 4K GBP for that week.....on BA or Swiss.

@stanton is that e.g. to do a VIE->ACH hop?

Swiss do decent deal via VIE to INN for cheap just takes an extra hour. IIRC the VIE INN plane is little Dehaviland propellor job right?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@mcgroa, look at memmingem or Friedrichshafen too. Both very doable if the main airports are costing you too much. I'm flying to Zurich on Saturday with BA for £50 or so from Heathrow (having flown from Glasgow on earlier flight) . Train to st Anton is not costing much at all
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mcgroa wrote:
Thx - LON ZUR is 4K GBP for that week.....on BA or Swiss.

@stanton is that e.g. to do a VIE->ACH hop?

Swiss do decent deal via VIE to INN for cheap just takes an extra hour. IIRC the VIE INN plane is little Dehaviland propellor job right?

Bette to Hop from Vie to Inn with an inclusive flight from Austrian
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use Swiss, MAN-ZRH, then train, no brainer. Swiss fare for this month, booked May 2018, £136 incl 23kgs and ski kit. As mentioned chocolate included, unlimited!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anybody been down Hinterrendle this week?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@davidthornton, where’s that?....we’ll be down Hinterrendl next week....Wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Glorious day here, only mushy stuff was down at the bottom near the Nassereinbahn. Lovely snow near the top of the Valluga. Even loved the blue 100 down to the Flexenbhan. Got lost on the Madloch and ended up in Zug, it was very cool being up there on that old 2 seater with literally nobody else in sight. Glad I got lost really as it is a nice run that I wouldn't have taken otherwise.
Tomorrow is looking slightly sketchy, wind might be a problem, based on Mondays closures...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Markymark29, Hintererendle is off the back of Riffelscharte 2, through the gap in the fence at the download, it comes out to rejoin R1 just above the Alm restaurant. It crosses the snow dam.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@davidthornton, ha yes I know where it is ....no e though in Hinterrendl
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Correction to my Swiss flight booking, I actually booked it in Sept 2018, the print out is dated U.S. style - 9/5/2018. rolling eyes
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
@davidthornton, ha yes I know where it is ....no e though in Hinterrendl

No such place as Hinterrendl either...
snow report
@nozawaonsen, what's it called then?
snow conditions
@davidthornton, Hintere Rendl....I missed the e out and put it as one word but it wooshed over heads Wink
ski holidays
Regarding the fast train (about 2°45') from Zurich airport to St.Anton, I just checked the OBB website. W/o a seat reservation and in 2nd class it's €52 one way if I pay in advance.
Is there a different price if I book the tickets in the station right after landing, in the same day? Or by the mobile app?
Smth like a last minute Sunday deal or a return bundle?
snow report
drporat wrote:
Regarding the fast train (about 2°45') from Zurich airport to St.Anton, I just checked the OBB website. W/o a seat reservation and in 2nd class it's €52 one way if I pay in advance.
Is there a different price if I book the tickets in the station right after landing, in the same day? Or by the mobile app?
Smth like a last minute Sunday deal or a return bundle?

Check https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html might be cheaper, I bought online from SBB page and I paid €26 each way 2nd class!!!
snow report
@davidthornton, actually I’ve seen it as Hinter Rendl (and when I’m not being so dozey Hinterrendl), hintere Rendl, Hinterer Rendl, Hinteres Rendl and Hinteren Rendl. Not quite sure what’s going on there some sort of case change? Anyway no e at the end of Rendl either way.
snow report
Hi @davidthornton, how long should I allow from flight landing time to train departure please?
ski holidays
The MAN-ZRH flight is scheduled to depart 0840hrs, maybe arrive ZRH around 1200hrs, you then have a chance of catching the 1240hrs train (ZRH-Vienna Railjet) stops at St. Anton 1500 hrs. That depends how soon you can claim your bags. Trains from the airport into Zurich main station run maybe every 10mins, some are shuttles some inter city, it doesn't matter which one as long as it goes to Zurich hbf (main station). Miss the 1240 and there is another Railjet at 1440hrs., stops St. Anton 1700hrs. I've given up rushing to try and get the 1240, I have lunch in the station, relax and get the 1440.
To answer your question - probably 60 mins from landing to getting to Zurich main station.
Buy your tickets on Swiss train website, SBB, cheaper than Austrian OBB this Winter. There is a thread on some important details that you should know regarding this journey. Maybe some useful sole can direct you to it.
ski holidays
@boo22, Theres a decent pizza place in the station, we have lunch in there and a beer, and wait for the later train, the 12.40 is too tight in our experience, Swiss flights out of MAN are often delayed by 10-20 mins and the chance of catching the earlier one are slim.
snow report
There is also the Nordsee fish restaurant, sort of self service, lots of different fish and shell fish cooked to order from displays, also Paella. It is licensed. It is opposite the ticket office in the main conclude. Fish with potatoes and veg or salad, and a sauce, about 18chf. Very Happy
latest report
Raining in St. Anton village. Viz a nightmare so far today. Apart from that, all is well Smile
latest report
@shiva_71, Any idea where the snow line is? Thanks!
snow report

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 11-03-19 13:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ArlbergMeister, Raining at the lower lift station Galzig, snowing nicely at the top of Gampen. Top of Galzig was sleeting earlier, same at Rendl. Best snow today is going into St Christoph. Heading over to Zurs later, snow should be best there!
snow conditions
Back in Lech (bus from Flexenbhan, the shame) and it's snowing, not absolutely puking it down but significantly more than Monday.
Was tempted to go for a few runs up high but the viz will be crap and I've had enough of hugging barely visible piste markers for one day...
ski holidays
@skimastaaah, Thanks for the update! Possibly heading over for the day tomorrow, then back next week for four days. Bergfex is now forecasting more snow, with a bit or rain to content with at lower elevations this weekend, then snowy and colder next week!
snow report
And sure enough after I've called it a day, the sun comes out at 3pm and there's piles of fresh powder everywhere and empty pistes... lesson learned!
latest report
This Weekend is a VERY busy travel weekend on the Highways

http://youtube.com/v/2LNT_-LXOys
snow report
shiva_71 wrote:
Raining in St. Anton village. Viz a nightmare so far today. Apart from that, all is well Smile

I understand that most of next week is supposed to be snowy up on the mountain with a tendency of rain/sleet in St. Anton. Any rule of the thumb suggestion where to go skiing in case of whiteout up the mountain?
For example in Les 2 Alpes there is the lower domain 'La vallee Blanche' and Mont de Lans, in Les Arcs you can always go towards Peissey Vallandry etc
snow report

snow report
Looks like I'll need a warm mid layer for next week. Very Happy
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@davidthornton, where’s that?....we’ll be down Hinterrendl next week....Wink

Typo, I'm sure he meant Hinter Pendle, off the bottom end of the nursery slope when it snows. Used to be able to get quite a decent bit of air but ran the risk of stomping a sheep poo-poo landing.
latest report
Spent the day on the Galzig. There were some splendid turns to be had up high... as long as you were prepared to work for them. Visibility ranged from marginal to zero, but the snow surface made up for it.

The icing on the cake came at 3:30pm, when the clouds parted and let in some sunlight. Over to Bachseite. Three, virtually untracked (ie pick your line) runs down had me grinning from ear to ear.

The ski back home down Fang was, well, character-building. Big piles of soft gelato.

Streets around Nasserein looked like they had been hosed.

PS: question of the day: saw a chair on Osthangbahn coming down with a helmet, complete with goggles, hooked on the foot rest. How did it get there? Why?
snow conditions
@drporat, Try Gampen down to Nasserein, or Rendle R1 down to St Anton.
snow conditions
@stanton, I will be waving at the queues out of the train window Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy