Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Arlberg Snow Report 2018/2019 (May 16th Perfect Conditions)

Poster: A snowHead
@stanton, not an issue when on Langerzug.... Toofy Grin And there where no injuries there.
There are zillion avalanches these days everywhere in The Alps.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi all,

How is the snow holding up in St Anton and the Arlberg region in general?

I arrive on Saturday, first day of skiing on Sunday and I am just wondering how much of an impact the warm weather has had on the piste conditions?

Is the skiing still any good or is it all slush, and is there still snow in the village?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Langerzug, i know that...

Here is the info..

https://www.vn.at/lokal/2019/02/17/sicherheitssuche-im-skigebiet.vn
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Don87,

To much snow here ! Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The snow is great here right now. Happy valley is open too though kandahar is less crowded now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
jw83113 wrote:
The snow is great here right now. Happy valley is open too though kandahar is less crowded now.

Unless something has changed today, Steissbachtal is currently only open in the mornings because of avalanche risk. We were in Warth/Schröcken today, so did not finish the day in StA.

Speaking of Warth/Schröcken, the way the range of mountain peaks separating Austria and Germany have avalanched, you would swear it is late spring. Pretty much covered in dirt, not snow. Some big slides also above the Madloch to Zug run and in the south-facing slopes of Lech.

Don87 wrote:
Hi all,

How is the snow holding up in St Anton and the Arlberg region in general?

I arrive on Saturday, first day of skiing on Sunday and I am just wondering how much of an impact the warm weather has had on the piste conditions?

Is the skiing still any good or is it all slush, and is there still snow in the village?

As before, the south-facing slopes, especially lower-down are in freeze-thaw. The north-facing slopes are holding up quite well. The village roads are icy in the morning and slush/water in the afternoon.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Happy valley was open at 3.30pm today. It was manic though with skiers ranging from almost beginners to people charging down at super-g speeds. We'll probably go back to using the kandahar as it looked relatively quiet for a change.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We spent today cruising around Lech and Warth. We really liked Warth (our first visit) - best snow (crunchy and grippy) in the Arlberg by a country mile. Venturing out that far also gives you a sense of travel that you don’t really get if you stay in St Anton. It was relatively quiet too. We normally ski in the 3Vs, Zermatt and the Espace Killy ... of course, there are idiots everywhere but there’s an undeniably high number of testosterone-fuelled back bottoms in St Anton that have no grasp of safety, mountain etiquette or manners. Straight-lining down crowded pistes in fat skis when it hasn’t snowed for 2 weeks is not cool. I think the pistes are holding up pretty well given the unseasonably warm temperatures. Will this be the case in 2 weeks, not sure ...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@ulmerhutte, temps were quite a bit cooler today so they kept Steissbachtal open all day.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@franga, what you are seeing there regards the “idiots” is not just an Arlberg issue I suggest, rather moreover a symptom of the time of year and current conditions. I’ve definitely seen same in 3V and EK in the past. It’s the busiest 3 weeks of the season currently and also the offpiste is tracked out and cruddy I guess so many of the offpiste skiers are limited in opportunity and are charging about, mostly good skiers but also many less competent also skidding about and being completely dangerous. We purposely keep away at this time of the season and will return in 2 weeks time after half term and Fasching to hopefully enjoy lower temperatures and less crowded pistes.

Wednesday is also seasonnaires chalet day off - beer/ shots and testosterone fuelled macho home runs are the norm on that day....also White Ring main routes notoriously fast pistes out and back from/to St Anton.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@franga, "Straight-lining down crowded pistes in fat skis when it hasn’t snowed for 2 weeks is not cool."
Totally agree.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@davidthornton, I dont think anyone is disputing that straightlining crowded pistes is bad however its hardly a uniquely St Anton/ Arlberg phenomenon.

It's undeniably worse on sunny, warm, blue-bird midweek days, especially during European school holidays......best keep away from crowded pistes and main runs at busy times is my advice, there's plenty of skiing areas that are less crowded if you plan your days, but swim with sharks and you'll get bitten is my view......we, and most people we know give resort skiing a wide berth this time of year returning when less crowded.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
https://www.instagram.com/snowboardermag/p/BuEz7HWhOvE/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@DB, Oh dear! Well it is a piste after all.... Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It is always worth paying the €3 to put your skis etc in the "cloakroom" a lot less aggravation than having them run over or "borrowed"
snow report
Snowboarder thinks he/she is the first one to do this …… We see this kind of thing daily but were always on the lookout for something novel & we have not seen anything this season o far………..
ski holidays
DB wrote:
https://www.instagram.com/snowboardermag/p/BuEz7HWhOvE/

WTF? That's got to be someone who has had a few?? Shocked
ski holidays
...and that is one (of many) reasons why I stay away from apres bars like Mooser. Too many morons made even more stupid by the amount they have had to drink.
snow report
Curious what some of you St Anton regulars think about this: while its true that St A has no monopoly on idiots elevening through highly populated areas, I do think St A suffers more than many ski areas from some narrow pistes or confluences getting back to base lifts. Run 100 down to Alpe Rauz for example. If empty I wouldn't call it narrow, but it has been wall to wall people even in late March, with all skill levels together on one run, not a good thing. I hate that run, but I stay in Lech and prefer to ski/lift back, so I need to survive it to get to Flexenbahn. Approaching the chairs at the base of Zurs is a bit dicey too, while Lech and Warth have somehow found a way to position their lifts with some room for folks to get there safely. In the US there would be a couple of speed control fences on run 100 and maybe a patroller to try and minimize the mayhem; while I'm not always a fan of this, there are places where it can bring some order to the chaos.
snow conditions
Markymark29 wrote:
@DB, Oh dear! Well it is a piste after all.... Laughing

Exactly. Looked like a bit of deliberate action to me on all the pricks that had just scattered their shite wherever. Re 100 or 4 or whatever it is called. One of my least favourite runs anywhere on piste. Too much traffic . Too many variable ski levels. Even crusty mank to the left often better and safer skiing.
ski holidays
The run from the Schindlergrat (effectively the high point of the Arlberg pistes, the second part of the Valluga is 2 m higher but is not much use in terms of piste skiing) to Alpe Rauz can be really good it is just about a 1000m drop (1200m to Stuben) with no narrow sections.

The caveats are mostly to do with crowds and many resorts can get crowded not just St Anton. The top red section is currently less affected by crowds (restricted by the rather slow long lift, though that will change next year - not sure if anyone really takes any notice of the "only for experienced skiers" sign), has one slightly steep pitch and normally has good snow conditions. The blue section from the Ulmer Hutte is really just a long straight forward run, theoretically ideal for less capable skiers and learners. It is also, unfortunately, ideal for anyone who thinks straight lining is a fun thing. Given crowds and certain snow conditions it can also get cut up pretty quickly, which can make it rather an ordeal for some, especially given its length and the lack of other blue lines on the piste map in this area. The combination of a crowded piste, partly filled with struggling beginners and with a few unguided missiles mixed in is not a good one, though this is a pattern repeated across the alps at high season.

Not sure handing out speeding tickets is a sensible or practical idea, overcrowded pistes is a general problem with no easy answer beyond restricting the numbers of ski passes and that isnt going to happen anytime soon.
ski holidays
Snow coming end of Week 9 Week 10
latest report
@munich_irish, It's the bottom 2 pitches after the left turn that are generally the problem ime, frequently icy and 3 main tracks tend to emerge, edge left, edge right and best snow in the middle, plus missiles coming down in between and at the far edges isn't a great cocktail - we usually get off the edge these days into the powder, generally well bashed anyway, I don't see why more don't do the same tbph. Moreover if show decent there's so many options in the powder that we rarely touch the Rauz piste if it can be avoided.

I'd personally like to see piste patrol guys more visible, it'd put a few of the gung-ho billy-boy-racers off if they got pulled up now and again imo, and word would get around quickly.
ski holidays
Possibly the least pleasant morning in 6 weeks. Mixture of snow, sleet, graupel, and the “r” word down low. Warm - around 3C at base level.
latest report
Is it still raining in St Anton?
snow conditions
I wouldn’t even call it drizzle ... very very poor visibility above 1,800Ms this morning meant that the lowers runs were unusually crowded. That’s not to say we didn’t have a blast - Kandahar and run 50 all the way down was a joy at about 10AM. I would echo the comments about run 100 ... I am an expert boarder and I felt a bit unnerved going down it with Mrs F the other day. We kept our 2 boys well away from it.

Our last day today ... we had a cracking week, a very refreshing change from our usual half-term hols to Whistler, the 3Vs and the EK. There’s something magical about Austria that you don’t get in France ... what really stood out is how warm and hospitable most people we have encountered are. A massive thanks to @Markymark29 for all his insight and recommendations, much appreciated pal.

We’ll be back soon.
ski holidays
stanton wrote:
when's that in laymen's?
latest report
franga wrote:
I wouldn’t even call it drizzle ... very very poor visibility above 1,800Ms this morning meant that the lowers runs were unusually crowded.

Well, the fog must have been the cause of water droplets on my goggles and the Galzigbahn, and wet streets! Toofy Grin

The fog this afternoon just below the top of Zammermoos:

If you look hard you might see a lift tower and some people. It is was actually quite freaky, having ghostly shapes emerging from the fog at close quarters.

All that said, there was some fantastic skiing in places like Bachseite and Zwischen. The 2 or 3cm of new snow really made made a difference to the surface. The sun almost made it out a few times:

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidthornton wrote:
stanton wrote:
when's that in laymen's?

In the German world weeks are denoted by numbers, KW (Kalender Woche) 9 = calendar week 9 = week beginning 25/02/19

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 23-02-19 10:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@munich_irish, thanks. Trust our Teutonic friends to regulate the calendar into numerical order.
snow conditions
Just to addd - Smile Smile
ski holidays
Great skiing weather in St Anton today. Loads of sun but temps a little bit lower keeping the snow a bit firmer. Sadly the weather seems to be causing more people to have accidents. Saw four on-piste accidents by 11am. Two involving helicopter rescue and another a woman in a lot of pain lying on piste 100.
snow conditions
Wider Trails/Pistes

NO

They have widened enough & taken the fun & challenge out of a lot of the runs to Town.

i.e

Rendl - Talabfahrt
Zammermoos to Town
Fang
latest report
@stanton, +1
snow report
I can actually largely agree with stanton in this case.

I have been going to St Anton on and off for forty years and I think it has become much more intermediate friendly over that time and maybe that is part of the problem.

As another example, the blues down to St Christoph which were quite narrow and awkward in places were widened years ago. Some of the pistes from Kappal as well.

I remember leading a small group of friends down Kandahar a long time ago and telling them to watch out for a ditch after one of the higher brows. "What ditch?" they asked afterwards. It had been engineered out over the summer.

The easier you make it the faster people can go.
snow report
After yesterday’s drizzle/high humidity, and an overnight freeze, the off piste I tried today was, well, pretty ordinary. Bachseite, in particular, was a coral reef in places. Hasenfluh was a bit better, but...!!!

Made the mistake of skiing back to Nasserein at the end of the day. Those damn “pop-up moguls” https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=142131&highlight= were everywhere! Felt like skiing through mounds of slurpees.
snow conditions
Sunday Morning 08:20 Top of Galzig .. Perfekt Sunny Blue Sky Morning.

One run down straight to the Train and Coffee in Innsbruck Very Happy
latest report
@stanton, photo? Otherwise it didn’t happen
snow report
Calling on your collected wisdom, due in Lech week after next and im a bit concerned...no snow for what, 2 weeks, pretty warm this week, and it doesnt look great.
Thing is i am not exactly flush with cash, its a huge deal for me to drop €1k on a trip. For reasonable conditions, i can just about live with that - but if things are positively crummy, that will be tough...
snow report
@shiva_71, same with me.
I will be in St. Anton from 09/03.
But I am optimistic.
The temp will go down and some snow is expected for 2 days in about a week.
Early March in Arlberg should always be fine. Especially after this January
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy