Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New ski mojo - what improvements?

Poster: A snowHead
I see they are offering an up-swap deal. Just wondering if anybody knows the major differences to the last model?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@swishtony, link please
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.skimojo.com/product/trade-skimojo-latest-version
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@swishtony, hard to tell on my phone but looks like the attachment to the posture strap us different. Need to compare the 2 sets of fitting instructions
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does anyone on here use them?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mike Pow, loads of us - do a search, there are several threads about them
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
holidayloverxx wrote:

How old are you?

Post-injury?

Are they a pain in the back bottom to transport and wear? My brace is, and it's way smaller.

Genuinely curious
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!

Severe Osteoarthritis of the knees and 1 hip, 1 new hip, others not far away from being done.

Inconvenience more than PITA, I recently trassported mine and my boots n my hand luggage. Security inspected the Mojo because of the springs. Guns have springs apparently. Wearing - you get used to putting them on and wearing them. I am at the level where it is "deal with the faff or don't ski"
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

Severe Osteoarthritis of the knees and 1 hip, 1 new hip, others not far away from being done.

Inconvenience more than PITA, I recently trassported mine and my boots n my hand luggage. Security inspected the Mojo because of the springs. Guns have springs apparently. Wearing - you get used to putting them on and wearing them. I am at the level where it is "deal with the faff or don't ski"

Thanks for the reply.

Totally understand. Same with my brace.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike Pow wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

How old are you?

Post-injury?

Are they a pain in the back bottom to transport and wear? My brace is, and it's way smaller.

Genuinely curious

58, post injury, go in the boot bag, once they are on you kind of forget you are wearing them
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Mike Pow,

My wife is 47
patella osteoarthritis
they fold up pretty small - smaller than a big brace I think
She has a love hate relationship with them. Hates the faff of putting them on, doesn't enjoy it for loo stops and even on/off chairlifts.
However they reduce the pain from skiing (and the soreness in the week that follows) a great deal. She wouldn't ski much without them.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks all.

Was curious if they were 'snake oil' or not.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We spent the season in Val d’Isere and the epic snowfall meant there was a lot of moguls and deep choppy snow to negotiate. I have patellar femoral OA in both knees and a torn MCL. I demoed a ski-mojo from one of the shops in Val and went out with the Mojo chap who works in that area. Decided to go for it.

Skied another 5 weeks in Val with it and am now in Canada with it for a few more weeks.

Impressions:

Really helpful in deep choppy conditions where my knees take a battering.

I find a bit of a ‘loss of touch’ which makes carving on good pistes a bit less enjoyable, but sometimes I just turn it off for those runs if I feel I don’t need it or want a bit more natural feel.

I wear it over my fairly close fitting ski trousers. Looks naff, but I find it easy to manage- can put it on and connect to my boots in about one minute. Ditto in the loo- straight off from hip connectors, unfasten belt and top leg Velcro. Really doesn’t faze me at all.

Overall, I wish I didn’t need it, but glad I have it. I really don’t think I would have made it through the season without it.

I am investigating stem cell therapy this summer!

I am 61 years old.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lynnecha wrote:

I am 61 years old.

If you end up going this route (actually even if you don’t) could you share your thoughts on this after your investigations?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm not sure what the differences are but I skied with mr mojo today (he's staying in the Kashmir) who was wearing them and he's a damn fine skier. Maybe you should pm him?
snow report
First time that I've had a look at these (via the link from the OP). One question, if anyone can answer - they have an 'off' button for chairlifts, etc. So how much can you bend, flex etc whilst wearing one? What and how much is restricted in terms of movement of whatever joints such that it's not possible or easy to sit but possible to ski? Or is it some other issue so that you want or need to disengage it?
snow report
@Grizzler, you can disengage for chairlifts but i dont bother. I dont find any restriction on the joints...its more about where the force goes. I can flex i to low schuss...the point is i can hold it
snow conditions
The mojo is fixed at the base of the buttocks and the top of the boot. When you bend your knees it compresses springs. If you were lying on the floor you would have to work hard to bend your knees as the springs are trying to keep your legs straight. If your skis leave the ground uou gave to fight to keep the legs bent. This also applies when you sit on a chairlift. I always turn mine off when when at the chairlift. It takes 2 seconds.
snow conditions
@NickyJ, I will keep you posted!
snow report
@Frosty the Snowman, @holidayloverxx, Thanks. So how does it cope with uneven, choppy etc conditions when you might get thrown around quite a bit (including unintentionally taking air) or have suddenly to go very low or uneven stanced; ditto lots of short turns, mogully bumps etc where you're quickly and repeatedly up and down? (Probably not great examples or explaining myself well: just trying to understand what benefits it offers versus any restrictions.) Will it cope with aggressive skiing styles? And what happens if you fall, or start to: if it's trying to straighten the legs, does that impact on how you might compensate - or, failing that, fall or land (or roll, cartwheel etc etc)?
snow report
@Grizzler, i dont ski as gnarly as you and i dont fall over much..maybe once ir twice a season but when i do...i just fall. I cant describe it
..its the same for me with or without them.... i just ski. Maybe i dont have them cranked as high as i should for my weight.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, it is really much more intuitive that I think you are imagining. I primarily use it for some extra protection to my knees in uneven choppy conditions. It just takes some of the bashing and allows me to ski longer in such conditions before my knees hurt.

You should go for a test if you can. It is a lot of money to spend and you will get a feel of whether or not it will help with your particular issues.

I have fallen once (someone skied into me at fairly slow speed). I just turned it off and got up in the normal way, turned it back on and skied away.....muttering to myself...

It is an aide but you still ski in much the same way as without it, just with a bit more support.

Oh- and when I fly I put it in with the skis. My thinking is that we take the ski bag to be X-ray whilst we are present at the oversized baggage drop so if any issues we are there to explain. No questions so far.
latest report
Thanks to @ski mojo (Martin) for letting me try the Ski Mojo for a day on the EoSB in Val Thorens. To summarise my impressions:
- about 25 mins for Martin to set to my dimensions and fit
- comfortable to wear, fitted under moderately wide (not baggy) ski pants
- easy to use, switching on & off, then remembering to straighten legs each time, to complete on/off process
- no problem after a controlled fall, onto one side
- skiing in them, could feel support they gave to knee flexing and absorbing some of the 'shock' to the knees/legs from bumps, high pressure carving, etc
- snow conditions varied, from hard & smooth, through good, to late afternoon slush, so they had a decent test for one day
- riding lifts, eventually didn't bother turning off for chairlifts, preferring to let my skis dangle beneath the foot supports (naughty?)
- walking, turned them off each time, eg gondola, restaurant, no problem to walk in.
- new developments ...I believe a new pair of specially designed pants/harness is the next innovation, allowing easier attachment & removal at start/end of each session

My overall impression very positive. I won't buy one just yet, as I don't think it addresses my problem of specific pain where my medial meniscus used to be, which is now 'bone on bone' during activities involving lateral movement.

Hope that helps. Happy to try answer specific questions about my layperson's experience. Thanks again to @ski mojo, the man to ask for technical and expert advice.
snow report
Thanks folks. Like @PeakyB, I don't intend to get one quite yet, but I am wondering if it might be helpful if I can't recover all of my leg strength or if my knees don't recover as well as I hope that they will.
ski holidays
@Grizzler, i would say almost certainly
snow report
@PeakyB, if your skis intentionally leave the snow then then you probably don't need one
ski holidays
@Frosty the Snowman, Laughing only time my skis intentionally leave snow is on chairlift or when I take them off.

If you’re meaning the controlled fall I mentioned, both skis in contact with snow throughout. Stopped me just in time, before I wiped out the sleepyhead who had set off across my path without looking up the slope.

My point was that the fall didn’t affect the ski mojo settings, so another positive for it.
snowHead
ski holidays
Not snake oil. Genuine mechanical effect. @mr mojo was kind enough to lend me a pair ahead of last season's EOSB when I was recovering from a fractured fibula. They provide a genuine boost when extending the leg while being unobtrusive. Take a bit of setting up and I had early problems standing up straight enough to disarm consistently but these are easily mastered. The neoprene wraps are so well designed I even ended up running them without the rods and springs once I'd established leg was going to be ok.

I'd have no hesitation in using them when my knees are proper fooked ( as my orthopod assures me they already are)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
lynnecha wrote:

I am 61 years old.

If you end up going this route (actually even if you don’t) could you share your thoughts on this after your investigations?
+1
ski holidays
I've had mojo's for 3 or 4 years now, and they help me ski better.
No doubt about it.
My legs are not knackered at the end of the day (well not as knackered as they should be .... I'm 68 )

The only downside to Mojos is the phaaf getting them sorted in the morning.

But no longer ... Martin modified my old Mojos for me last Tuesday on the EOSB, brilliant modification really sorting any tangle problem.

Then he explained to me I was putting them on wrong, I had been using the big strap right around my hips.
That's wrong, it is folded around the back of your bum so the only bits around the front are the narrow straps.

So I'm chuffed (not chaffed) with my updated Mojos, they are much easier to get on and sorted out now.
The phaaf of strapping up the velcro only takes a couple of extra minutes.
snow conditions
@DrLawn, can you explain the fold back bit? I put the big strap all round.
latest report
I have had a mojo for a couple of years now and it helps though it's not a panacea , I lost over half my combined holidays this year with knee problems.
For me the biggest faff is if I have o travel to the slopes without boots on which I often do as we frequently stay somewhere where we need to drive and I'm usually the driver.
The mojo without a boot at the bottom to support it tends to drift down with gravity and I keep having to hitch up and sometimes doing it loosen the lock which determines the length and the mojo comes apart and has to be plugged back together and readjusted. An overshoulder strap to hold it up would help. Still I'm very grateful for the help it has given me but I'm still hoping my knee will improve but it's getting a bit chronic now.
ski holidays
Anyone able to give any pointers into how to identify different versions of Mojos?

I want to pick up a used pair to try, as I dont want to drop £500 for something that I may not benefit from.

While looking at the used market & getting an idea of prices, I see some come in a backpack type bag, some in a square case & others in a longer narrower bag.
I have also seen some that clearly show left/right marked up on the straps & others that just say Ski-Mojo - power assisted skiing.
I am also aware there are different clamps. Are there a few easy ways to identify different versions? or could some of the things be mixed?

T Bar wrote:
An overshoulder strap to hold it up would help.

Worth a try?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy