Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Route to Gatwick, please

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Travelling down the A1 from North of London (outside M25) to Gatwick on a Friday evening Shocked . Distances are almost identical going East or West round M25 between A1 and M23 so the the choice of route is influenced heavily by the traffic conditions. The big question is...where's the traffic going to be worst? My guess would be M3, M4 section but maybe the QE2 bridge is a disaster every evening ....if you're a regular traveller on the dreaded M25, your advice would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Red Leon, the bit between the M1 and M4 is ALWAYS a nightmare on a Friday from about 2.30pm. Personally I would put up with a bit of a queue at the QE2 bridge. If you can get across country a bit from the A1 before you get on the M25, you would avoid the nasty bit at the A10 junction where it goes down to 2 lanes. Good luck! And take some calming music with you Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Red Leon, I agree with Sam about going clockwise around M25 - but personally would swap over to the M11 around Cambridge. South bound on M11 shouldn't be too bad at that time of day
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Red Leon, allow a LOT of time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Red Leon, what time on a Friday evening? If it's after 5, the traffic will be easing off, so either direction would be OK. I used to commute M1 to M4 every day, and am about to start commuting M1 to Gatwick every week.

Best advice? Check with the AA before leaving, and see which way has fewer queues...

http://www.theaa.com/travelwatch/travel_news.jsp
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wear The Fox Hat,

I hope to avoid the worst of the traffic (whichever way I go) by not leaving home till about 7.30pm (30 mins from the M25). Could it be that, by the time I get there, the M25 might generally not be too ugly - always allowing for unforeseen events, of course?

Good luck with the commute - sounds like fun!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Red Leon, 7.30 on a Friday evening, it will be relatively quiet either direction, but still, take a look at the AA site before leaving home.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It should be a little quieter, but I would DEFINITELY go via the QE2 bridge.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Red Leon, you could also consider getting the M11 straight into London, through the Blackwall Tunnel, A20, then rejoining the M25 at Swanley - good roads all the way, more direct, and by 8.00pm the Blackwall Tunnel should be clear (but no guarantees!)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Red Leon, just looked at your profile, and you say you are in Letchworth. If that's the case, then I'd go West, you avoid the 2 lane bit at the A10, or back roads to the M11, and now that the roadworks are lifted, the bit from the M4 round to the M3 is a lot quicker. The possible slow bits will be:
1. M1 junction (1 mile slow traffic)
2. The climb once you are past Maple Cross. (again, about a mile)
3. M4 turn off, where all the t0ssers stay in the fast lane until the last minute then dive across. (can be up to 3 miles, but should be about 1/2 mile by that time of night)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Red ! when you said you were going with snowcoach I presumed you were going by coach ! where are you flying to /have you changed your plans ? I've managed to get a mate to come along to Termignon, unfortunately he's a boarder wink he's doing beginners classes and I'm going to do level 3/ intermediates or something skiing. We are actually going to be doing classes at Val Cenis in mornings 9 - 11.30 (by the way have you already booked yours as getting the times you want can sometimes be difficult ?, let me know and I'll send number of ESF lady (english very helpfull who booked mine) at the Lansbourg Ski lift.

As for Gatwick directions best bet by far at that time is come down M11 (most traffic will be heading in other direction) , onto A13 out to M25 QEII bridge then M3 to Gatwick.

Mate snow conditions are looking great ! can't wait. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Type23, I just thing the drive to get from Letchworth to M11 would take longer than just getting onto the M25 down the A1, and then head west. He's not going to be hitting the M40/M4 section until 8.15, which will be quiet by then.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
EAST - I do this all the time and it's fine, both QE2 and blackwall are usually free flowing after about 8pm, the M25 is ok round the east side, it's only dodgy at the M4, M1, M40 and a few bits on the south west corner.

Plus if you go east you have a few options as well as (noted above) all of which are pretty easy - several other options too so it's easy to dodge any congestion. It takes me about an hour from the canary wharf (A13, M25, QE2, m25, m23). I can do it from the A10 M25 junction in about 20mins more.

I'd vote for A1m, m25 all the way to the bridge and round to the M23. I'm sure type23's route is the lnog way round as it makes you do two sides of the tringle (M11 and A13) instead of just the long curve of the m25???

aj xx
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Type23 wrote:
Hi Red ! when you said you were going with snowcoach I presumed you were going by coach ! where are you flying to /have you changed your plans ?

Flying from Gatwick with Snowcoach

Type23 wrote:
As for Gatwick directions best bet by far at that time is come down M11 (most traffic will be heading in other direction) , onto A13 out to M25 QEII bridge then M3 to Gatwick.

If I end up on the M3, I've gone wrong somewhere NehNeh

Type23 wrote:
Mate snow conditions are looking great ! can't wait. Very Happy

I'm getting pretty desperate now. Just trying to hold it together - should be there in 48 hours. Cool WoooooHooooo! Faceplants & stiff legs, here I come...

snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Red Leon wrote:

If I end up on the M3, I've gone wrong somewhere NehNeh

snowHead

Embarassed er finger spasm Shocked should read M23 Toofy Grin
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy