Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Helmet use reduces head injuries by up to 60%"

Poster: A snowHead
rob@rar.org.uk, also, if you felt at greater risk because you were skiing faster, was it because you felt less in control?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowbunny,
Quote:

my feet seem warmer

Makes sense - No doubt Foxy will be along shortly on this particular (sub)topic
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowbunny, very good point you make about warmer feet. People who cite overheating as a reason not to wear a helmet, are not layering up correctly given the fact they now have a lid keeping the heat in.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Caspar, You may think that me having cold feet, is funny...but no more... Ha Very Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 24-02-06 16:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tim Brown, My lid seems to keep my head, just pleasantly warm, no matter what the conditions Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowbunny, yes the venting systems of modern helmets have come along way.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tim Brown, maybe if you were not wearing a helmet your head would have missed this rock. No matter how light the helmet is your neck is still exposed to higher then usual stress. Bottom line is just like I can’t scientifically prove these statements you have no proof that your helmet is safe as far as your neck is concerned. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not against the use of helmets but I wanted to draw attention to the fact that their safety and efficacy have not been conclusively and irrefutably established
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowbunny wrote:
Caspar, You may think that me having cold feet, is funny...but no more... Ha Very Happy

I think he is referring to the way that when most people mention "I have cold feet", I always ask "what is on your head?", cause if your head isn't warm, it doesn't matter what you do for your feet, they won't get enough blood to keep them warm, but if your head is warm, then unless you have cirulation problems (such as are caused by smoking), then I'd expect your feet to feel warmer.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's also why we wear foot helmets when skiing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowbunny, I never expect you to get cold feet. Now, where's that draglift....

Wear The Fox Hat, Thank you - absolutely right. snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
PP, but it has to be pointed out that the technology continues to improve.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Caspar,
Quote:

snowbunny, I never expect you to get cold feet. Now, where's that draglift....

Promise you won't sing, and I promise not to treat you to my cold feet Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wear The Fox Hat, overly tight boots can also cause cold feet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowbunny, Hmm. Not sure that "treat" is the right word Confused

Sorry - I can never promise not to sing on a draglift. Not if you're there anyway Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
Wear The Fox Hat, overly tight boots can also cause cold feet.

Not if you wear a luxurious fox hat
snow report
Tim Brown wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, the earflaps of modern helmets allow 97% of sound to pass through them. Goggles reduce peripheral vision regardless of whether you have a helmat on.

Yes that's right, as I said, my hearing is reduced when wearing a helmet. Not much, but noticeable.

You're right that wearing goggles will reduce peripheral vision regardless of whether you are wearing a helmet or not. But as I always wear goggles with a helmet, but frequently choose glasses if I wear a hat (or nothing on my head), there is a fairly clear correlation for me between helmet wearing and reduced peripheral vision.

There are pros and cons to all the choices we make when skiing, including whether to wear a helmet or not. I now choose to wear a helmet because for me the pros outweigh the cons, but for other people their decision might be different.
snow conditions
PP, I'll stick to wearing a helmet, as it protects me from tree branches and flying ski poles which would otherwise hurt my head. Whether it will save my life, or give me a sore neck is something I don't know, and given your previous comments, I doubt that any evidence presented would be acceptable to you, but I DO know that a helmet has protected my head against cuts and bruises in several occassions, where not having one would have meant pain and not skiing for some time.
ski holidays
Tim Brown wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, also, if you felt at greater risk because you were skiing faster, was it because you felt less in control?

No, I felt there were greater risks because the consequences of a fall were potentially more serious because of the higher speeds involved.
ski holidays
Tim Brown, it's not about it being the helmet's fault. It's more a case of that in a given population, if they're wearing a helmet, they may be more prone to taking risks. Also in the same population if they are wearing a helmet, they're possibly more likely to be wearing goggles thus reducing their peripheral vision.
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, you would need a hearing test to detect a 3% reduction in hearing.
ski holidays
Tim Brown wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, you would need a hearing test to detect a 3% reduction in hearing.

In which case my helmet cuts out more than 3% of sound being passed through the ear flaps, reducing, as I've said, my hearing when I wear it.
snow report
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Tim Brown wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, the earflaps of modern helmets allow 97% of sound to pass through them. Goggles reduce peripheral vision regardless of whether you have a helmat on.

Yes that's right, as I said, my hearing is reduced when wearing a helmet. Not much, but noticeable.

Does that mean that when you wear a hat, you keep your ears uncovered?
snow report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Tim Brown wrote:

Does that mean that when you wear a hat, you keep your ears uncovered?

No, if its warm enough to keep my ears uncovered I wouldn't wear a hat at all. Wearing a hat also reduces my hearing, but not by as much as wearing a helmet.
snow conditions
Kramer, the slight reduction in peripheral vision doesn't add up to a greater risk. What's in front of you is much more important. As for taking more risk, the same could be said for safety belts.
ski holidays
Helmets should ideally be fitted with external microphones connected to the internal speakers, which some people link to an MP3.

The unmistakable sound of an approaching lunatic is always worth amplifying.
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, skiing fast will also reduce your hearing due to the added wind noise.
latest report
David Goldsmith, as in: the sound of a snowboard being edged? Laughing
latest report
Tim Brown wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, skiing fast will also reduce your hearing due to the added wind noise.

Yup, and it makes my eyes water from wind blasting my eyeballs. All the more reason to wear a helmet, which I know do almost all the time. Although I recognise the downsides of this choice, the advantages of a helmet for me are much greater.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar.org.uk wrote:
Wearing a hat also reduces my hearing, but not by as much as wearing a helmet.

I certainly don't find that to be the case with my Giro 9.

As for wearing sunglasses, the injury risk caused by them breaking and going to your eyes during a fall, or collision with another skier/pole/etc, I would have thought, would have been significantly higher than the slight risk brought about by reduced peripheral vision in goggles..
snow conditions
rob@rar.org.uk, you've made the right choice but for the wrong reason. A head wearing a helmet and hitting something at high speed may as well not have a helmet on at all. The standard to which helmets must comply only offers protection for speeds of about 10mph*. Above that, and it's good night Vienna!

EDIT: *that's what I was quoted. Trying to find an on-line source.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 24-02-06 17:23; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Wear The Fox Hat, I've seen some very nasty injuries caused by broken sunnies.
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
As for wearing sunglasses, the injury risk caused by them breaking and going to your eyes during a fall, or collision with another skier/pole/etc, I would have thought, would have been significantly higher than the slight risk brought about by reduced peripheral vision in goggles..

Maybe, although the lenses in my sunglasses are plastic, so perhaps not any more risk than goggles?

The only point that I'm trying to make is that there are pros and cons to wearing a helmet, as there are in most things in life. We balance up those pros and cons when deciding what option to take. That's not a contentious point is it? For me, the option for the last couple of seasons has been to wear a helmet. This was prompted in part by a mild concussion which meant I missed two days skiing (including a couple of ski lessons), and by improvements in my ski technique meaning that I ski faster then I've done in the past if conditions allow. Other people may well reach a different conclusion to me about helmet wearing, for perfectly valid reasons.
ski holidays
Tim Brown wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, you've made the right choice but for the wrong reason. A head wearing a helmet and hitting something at high speed may as well not have a helmet on at all. The standard to which helmets must comply only offers protection for speeds of about 10mph. Above that, and it's good night Vienna!

So what are the right reasons?
ski holidays
rob@rar.org.uk, low speed collisions (can prove very nasty without a helmet), glancing blows, clashing of heads, smacked by a chairlift bar, slipping on ice and hitting head while walking, hit on head by own ski, hit on head by some else's ski etc..All I'm saying is don't ask too much of your brain bucket!

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 24-02-06 17:05; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
I think that a lot of you are missing the point. You can argue the pros and cons about what may be more or less dangerous (sunglasses, goggles, helmets, whatever), but the only way to know for sure is through research. The research so far narrowly comes down on the side of wearing a helmet, but it is far from conclusive, and flags up the possibility of an increased risk of neck and other injuries to helmet wearers. It is certainly not conclusive enough to lead to making wearing helmets mandatory.
snow conditions
Tim Brown, technology is improving as is research into this subject. Maybe current technology is good enough but it has yet to be proven.
snow report
Surely blue ice is, to all intents and purposes, as hard as tarmac. Rocks and trees certainly are. So, is the government wrong to make helmets mandatory for motorcyclists and not for skiers?
ski holidays
Tim Brown wrote:
rob@rar.org.uk, low speed collisions (can prove very nasty without a helmet), glancing blows, clashing of heads, smacked by a chairlift bar, slipping on ice and hitting head while walking, hit on head by own ski, hit on head by some else's ski etc..All I'm saying is don't ask too much of your brain bucket!

At no point have I thought (or written on snowHeads) that wearing a helmet makes me immune to head injuries. But it has saved me from what would have been a big bruise when I was slapped hard by a GS gate, and might well have saved me from missing a couple of days skiing and lessons when I landed heavily on hard pack snow. That personal experience is enough to convince me that wearing a helmet is a good thing for me, despite some of the drawbacks in terms of comfort and possibly safety.

I really don't understand why this is a big issue - we don't have the same level of passion about other choices of skiwear, such as thick socks/thin socks, gloves/mittens, etc. Why is helmet wearing a different kind of debate on snowHeads?
snow report
Martin Bell, I wear a helmet on the motorbike, mountain-bike and on skis. Personally, I have found more use in the skiing and cycling helmets despite having done many more miles on the motorbike. The others have certainly saved me from more injuries (and yes, I have crashed motorbikes a few times).
snow report
Maybe it's time to bring "face-guards" into the debate - lbt, where are you? Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy