Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British snowboarder suffocates off-piste in Meribel

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5584331/British-snowboarder-25-suffocates-death-falling-head-snow.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Very sad. However appalling reporting, fail to see any connection between this and any of the other accidents referred to in the report ... or the relevance of any of the photographs to the report, apart from the common factor of snow.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DavidYacht, its the Daily Mail. rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@DavidYacht, yep, and a completely needless reference to Schumacher’s accident. Have never understood the Mail’s need to shoehorn in a reference to some celebrity in every story.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another forum I use bans its members from linking to it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonpim wrote:

or the Daily Wail, as I call it. You may as well read the Beano.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There's a serious point in here that it isn't always just a massive laugh when your mate faceplants into the snow. But equally it's a fairly rare event (outside of treewells) given the combination of snow density, angle of penetration and degree of impingement needed to prevent self rescue.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Also reported on BBC News - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43669769

Begs the question about being off-piste on their own which is always a no-no no matter how experienced you are. (Presuming they were on their own given no-on flagged he was missing earlier
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awdbugga wrote:
Jonpim wrote:

or the Daily Wail, as I call it. You may as well read the Beano.

How dare you impugn the reputation of the Beano by suggesting it's sunk to the depths plumbed by the Daily Mail.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jenniper wrote:

Thank goodness snowheads does not seek to be such a censor.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Grim. Poor fella. Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did wonder whether it was a tree-well that he fell down, as they can be lethal...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Jenniper wrote:

Is that bedwetters.co.uk?

RIP
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
There's a serious point in here that it isn't always just a massive laugh when your mate faceplants into the snow. But equally it's a fairly rare event (outside of treewells) given the combination of snow density, angle of penetration and degree of impingement needed to prevent self rescue.

It might just be me being paranoid, but I always see clips online on people leaping headfirst into deep snow and pretty much disappearing, I always think "what if they can't get out" but nobody ever seem to consider that before
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Bennisboy wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

It might just be me being paranoid, but I always see clips online on people leaping headfirst into deep snow and pretty much disappearing, I always think "what if they can't get out" but nobody ever seem to consider that before

Diving head first would just be plane stupid. Feet first would be bad enough if you disappear completly.
ski holidays
Rob_Quads wrote:

Begs the question about being off-piste on their own which is always a no-no no matter how experienced you are. (Presuming they were on their own given no-on flagged he was missing earlier

According to the BBC page he was 20 metres from the piste. Obviously it depends on the exact location, but I suspect that there are a few of us that have done that type of side piste without thinking it'd be an issue.
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
... and a completely needless reference to Schumacher’s accident.

SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
... According to the BBC page he was 20 metres from the piste.

So perhaps not a completely needless cross-reference? Both incidents highlight the potentially significantly increased risk even when just a short distance off piste ... Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Rob_Quads wrote:

Yes and no. Snow presents challenges and risks. As does sea. As does traffic. Obviously it's always better to not be alone, but it's not always possible, and to be honest sometimes the risks are small enough that it's not even an issue. I often boat alone, and ski alone, and run in the wood alone, and... . Not in risk 4 conditions, though; and I do a lot of risk mitigation at risk 3 as well. And a reasonable amount at risk 2. Maybe it won't work out well for me one day though... that's life for you.
snow report
I don't want to dismiss the fact that things can happen, though. Indeed just today the relief(*) suddenly disappeared from a day which was inaccurately forecast to be glorious sunshine all day. I was in a place where there was a crest on one side, a barely-visible stream bed on the other, metres of snow everywhere... yes things can go wrong in those situations. But surely, we understand and accept that there are risks in our behaviour?

(*) I only know that word from the Spanish, since I started doing winter sports after moving to Spain.(**) What's the correct word in English? The visibility under the dark clouds was fine... I could see for miles; but I couldn't make out the details of the snow in front of my face: no idea if I had a 10 degree or a 30 degree drop in front of me, because the light conditions meant that the snow didn't offer any clues. I find that this is an issue in spring more than anything, because on spring days the snow tends to homogenize whether on-piste or off-.

(**) Yes that's pretty funny. If anyone had asked me before moving to Spain whether I thought I'd end up doing more winter sports than before living in Spain, obviously I'd have said "no". As they say, what we don't know far outweighs what we know wink

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 6-04-18 22:13; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
[double post]
latest report
@Pyremaniac, *I think I would use the word 'definition'
snow report
Hurtle, thanks!
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:

Or visibility
latest report
Gerry wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Or visibility

No, the visibility was fine - I could see all the way down the valley.

Anyway, back to that snowboarder: it does seem like tragically bad luck Sad. Somebody posted a video of a similar situation recently where a guy fell down a hard-to-spot crack and ended up dangling upside-down with his board bridging the gap. Certainly makes one think...
latest report
Pyremaniac wrote:
Gerry wrote:
Hurtle wrote:

Or visibility

No, the visibility was fine - I could see all the way down....

Flat light.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy