Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski rescue in Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
How is this funded in Scotland for a UK citizen?

Is this covered by your lift pass or will you get a bill for it or should you have rescue insurance outwith the winter sports insurance in your travel insurance which applies if you were abroad.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I believe Scottish mountain rescue, partial volunteer service with no charge.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The resorts have an on site ski patrol via BASP, with MR involved when needed. As examples, it was ski patrol who dug the guy out of the avalanche at Glencoe a few weeks back, and Lochaber MR were involved in the rescue of the skier who went through the cornice at Nevisrange around the same time. Ski patrol is, I think, a mix of paid and volunteer staff, and MR teams are entirely volunteer staffed.

There is no cost (To the casualty) for MR services in Scotland, even where the Coastguard SAR helo is involved. MR is funded by donations in Scotland, with a contribution to costs from Scottish Government.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There's a 'Donate' option on their home page for those that might be interested.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would it be right to say that in the UK there is no cost or charging involved for rescuing or treating any "victim" who gets stuck, falls off, falls ill, falls into or whatever anywhere, private or public land, whether they have been demonstrably stupid and irresponsible or totally responsible but unlucky. With the exception of things involving motor vehicles (which is charged to somebody's motor insurance) ?

Some of the services might be provided by volunteers, eg mountain rescue, RNLI etc. but instigated by police, coastguard etc. ?

Not trying to make an authoritative statement, that's just the way I see it. Please correct me if I am wrong.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Would it be different if you weren't a UK national?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It would be wrong for someone to have the cost of rescue as part of the calling-for-help decision tree. Especially since it could have been poor decision making that got them stuck in the first place.

However, perhaps a mandatory donation to the appropriate rescue organisations (Mountain Rescue and Air Ambulance) could become added to the lift pass?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
denfinella wrote:
Would it be different if you weren't a UK national?

No. But this is also true of most of the 1st world on public land. It's quite hard to find an authoritative list of countries and SAR organisations. In BC public rescue is free; that gets slightly more complex if you have to divert commercial services who may be closer to the victim. Still free, but a problem for commerce.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
slopemad wrote:

However, perhaps a mandatory donation to the appropriate rescue organisations (Mountain Rescue and Air Ambulance) could become added to the lift pass?

I don't think this would be a very good idea or popular with anyone. Skiing is pretty marginal in Scotland but contributes to rural communities where members of the rescue services live, anything which increases the cost of lift passes would affect these communities.
The percentage of call outs to lift serviced skiers must be tiny as well far more walkers, climbers ski tourers etc.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Other parts of the UK have found ways of avoiding the cost of rescuing foreigners in the mountains. I remember discovering that the instructions on how to call Mountain Rescue in the phone box at the Ogwen carpark in Snowdonia were only in Welsh.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
Other parts of the UK have found ways of avoiding the cost of rescuing foreigners in the mountains. I remember discovering that the instructions on how to call Mountain Rescue in the phone box at the Ogwen carpark in Snowdonia were only in Welsh.

Last time I was in a phone box in Wales, which was a long time ago I admit, 999 was the same as I had seen everywhere else. Is it not like that in Manchester ? Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skitow wrote:
Would it be right to say that in the UK there is no cost or charging involved for rescuing or treating any "victim" who gets stuck, falls off, falls ill, falls into or whatever anywhere, private or public land, whether they have been demonstrably stupid and irresponsible or totally responsible but unlucky. With the exception of things involving motor vehicles (which is charged to somebody's motor insurance) ?

Some of the services might be provided by volunteers, eg mountain rescue, RNLI etc. but instigated by police, coastguard etc. ?

Not trying to make an authoritative statement, that's just the way I see it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Essentially correct. In NI mountain rescue and SAR operations are generally initiated by coastguard.....maybe some justification for @rjs post.

"I'm stuck on a mountain....who should I call?" Laughing Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
as part of the calling-for-help decision tree 
As part of the what Puzzled!!

Is that a Google translate job from the instructions in the Welsh phone box mentioned above Laughing ??
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
as part of the calling-for-help decision tree 
As part of the what Puzzled!!

Is that a Google translate job from the instructions in the Welsh phone box mentioned above Laughing ??

No, I think it's some dialect of corporate speak Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@skitow,
fel rhan o'r goeden penderfyniad galw am gymorth

Obvious, innit? wink
snow report
Quote:

No. But this is also true of most of the 1st world on public land. It's quite hard to find an authoritative list of countries and SAR organisations. In BC public rescue is free; that gets slightly more complex if you have to divert commercial services who may be closer to the victim. Still free, but a problem for commerce.

Wrong, the rescue remains free, but for none UK nationals there should in theory be a cost for medical care. For the time being if you are an EU/EEA citizen that remains free if you have your EHIC card. However for the rest of the world any hospital care is supposed to be charged by the NHS, you should have insurance. For visitors from countries requiring a visa, part of the application process for the visa is to demonstrate medical insurance cover I believe, and if not it jolly well should be.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy