Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski suggestion

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
...for a friend.

She's 155 cm and 50 kg and is an advanced skier. She is pretty fit, does several half ironman and a couple of full every year. She can ski everything and is keen to go off-piste and ski tour. Japan/ Canada/ heli (if all the rest of us go!) are on the cards.

She is currently on some 10 years old K2 something or the others.

They have to be pink (ish), twin tipped but there are no other requirements.

I could only think of Whitedot Director Carbonlites (168?) but wasn't sure what else could be suggested. She is a bit time strapped and trying any off-piste ski in a fridge is pretty useless. Hence me asking for her. All advice gratefully accepted.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Faction Prodigy 2018 W ?
https://www.evo.com/skis/faction-prodigy-w-womens

or Völkl 90eight W 2017
http://followmestore.de/snow/ski/allmountain-ski/22117/voelkl-90eight-wms-16/17?sPartner=go&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvoWJjf6b2gIVB4GyCh3pyArFEAQYAyABEgIb9PD_BwE
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@DB, thank you sir. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rishie, WD Directors would be perfect. She'd want a the 151cm or 161cm - I'd recommend the 161 for her. We're selling these two lengths off cheap so she can get a bargain and I've got both a 161 trad & a 161 CL in my shop if she wants to fondle 'em. I'm only in by appointment now until I head off to the EoSB so you'd have to call me to arrange a day/time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@spyderjon, agreed, but I'd push the 161 harder than the 151. The Directors are about the shortest skiing thing I've ever encountered, and really easy to manoeuvre. At 50kg the float is going to be less critical than for some big burly bloke, and the Directors had enough float for this burly bloke anyhow.

I've tried the carbonlites, and unless you are into serious touring I would stick with the standard. I couldn't get on with the carbonlite director or preacher, I tried but they just felt too light for me.

If she is too cash strapped to take advantage of Jon's bargains I might know of a pair for sale secondhand, but not sure. They do have a touring binding on them already, but not 100% they are selling.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, @Digger the dinosaur, thanks chaps. Sending her an email now.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Digger the dinosaur, unless you’re on proper solid hardpack, the CL construction is no issue, and at 50kg a nice light ski is fine.

I would say 151 is too short (I ski a 171, but I’m a little taller and heavier), but 161 should be good. Don’t buy the old skool 168, the only similarity is in the name.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Scarlet, thank you. I've sent her an email and message with all possibilities. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Rishie, note the possibles I have are the older design I think. I don't know what the difference is from old to new, but spyderjon is a good person to confirm the relative sizes and will have views from his customers on how they ski.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Digger the dinosaur, from memory the difference between the old Director and new Director is that the old one was borderline unskiable and the new one is really rather good.

But I do agree with you on the above points. I tried the CL Preacher and the Trad and found it far easier, physically and also psychologically, to give the Trad the amount of abuse it needs to work properly. I think it's a ski you have to feel in control of and take the initiative, on the CL I just felt like I was on the verge of bending it irreversibly.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
dp wrote:
@Digger the dinosaur, from memory the difference between the old Director and new Director is that the old one was borderline unskiable and the new one is really rather good.

Bang on.

dp wrote:
But I do agree with you on the above points. I tried the CL Preacher and the Trad and found it far easier, physically and also psychologically, to give the Trad the amount of abuse it needs to work properly. I think it's a ski you have to feel in control of and take the initiative, on the CL I just felt like I was on the verge of bending it irreversibly.

Yes, but like @Digger the dinosaur, you are somewhat larger than 50kg, and therefore have slightly different requirements to the OP wink Honestly, the CL construction is not an issue for a littl'un.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy