Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski length for someone 6'7"

Poster: A snowHead
My daughter wants to buy her fiancé some skis. He's 6'7" (2.0m), and an OK skier, blues and reds, nothing meaningful off piste. He won't get a chance to try, and anyway it's meant to be a surprise! I think something c. 80 - 85mm underfoot would seem about right, but unsure about length. He's quite a slim chap. In 'theory' he should have 190+, although I've never really grasped what physics is behind 'the taller you are, the longer the ski'. Especially for very tall people. My instinct is something around 190cm if it has modest rocker. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
How do the skis know how tall he is?

Weight more important...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I agree! Only logic I can think of is leverage, but unconvinced!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm 6'4" (94kg) and rented 172cm skis this year (I too am Blue/Red competent ) and I wouldn't want for anything much longer than 175cm.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Agree with previous - you need to know his weight.
I'm 6'4" but only weigh 75kg/11.5 st or so, so also pretty slim!
I ski approx. 186cm and I'd go for something of that length *max*. I'm a good experienced skier and I wouldn't go much longer than that with a modern ski.
And I think that width would be the absolute maximum for a ski that is principally on-piste rather than off. Possibly less for something a bit more carve/GS.
I'd only get that width or more if you think they are likely to want to try off-piste and want something a bit more 'all mountain'.

Specific skis? I'm probably not best placed to advise cos my focus is on lightweight, touring and backcountry!

Here's men's skis on sale at Snow and Rock (just to pick a mainstream shop)
https://www.snowandrock.com/c/sale/end-of-season/ski.html?size=&page=0&sort=bestselling&filter=%26filter%3Duk_fh_gender:(mens)%26filter%3Duk_sr_ski_type:(skis)

Assuming you want a good value mainly-piste ski I'd be looking at something like - based on literally a glance - the Dynastar Speedzone 12 - £410 incl. bindings.
https://www.snowandrock.com/p/dynastar-speedzone-12-spx-12-kinnect-dual-wtr-b80-binding-J1314310.html?colour=3657
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@MaxiMac, many thanks.
I thought a bit wider because he might well nip off the side of the piste on occasion, but probably won't be heading for the deeper fluffy stuff.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ramon Zenhausern the Swiss slalom skier is also 6’7” and skis a 165cm!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So... most manufacturers have online guides and skinny/timid -5/10 cms (or whatever) and pie-eating/aggressive +5/10 cms (or whatever).

All/mostly on piste, <90mm underfoot, ~80mm probably mainstream these days.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
185-190 for a medium flex all mountain ski. 180-185 for a more piste oriented GS type Ski. Shorter still for a stiff slalom ski. Don’t be afraid to go wider eg 80-90mm. Plenty of great all round skis that will all be piste oriented at that width eg Kastle MX 84
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
moseyp wrote:
Ramon Zenhausern the Swiss slalom skier is also 6’7” and skis a 165cm!
..but he has mo choice. Clearly manages ok!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@moseyp, which is actually a little unfair... should be weight handicaps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Christ on a bike I will look plain stupid at. 5'8" with my 207 skis to compensate for my 108kg
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonny996, I’m 5’6” and regularly ski on 203s...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Probably the longest one of whatever model you choose - so this could be 188 in a Rossi Soul 7 or 177 in a Head Titan or probably shorter in a sl ski
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Length of ski is more related to weight, ability, style and terrain than to absolute height. So it is hard to give a generic answer without more detail, particularly on weight and level of ambition (i.e. will he be looking to progress). One thing I do note, most early intermediate skiers progress much more quickly and effectively on a piste oriented ski with progressive flex than an "all mountain" set-up and I would advise anyone with ambition that this will give the best platform to learn before venturing into more variable terrain. I would advise a relatively narrow, progressive flex, with a length more related to weight than height and at least one step up from current level of ability.
latest report
just adding physics into the mix here, if we are referring to length as a factor to weight & saying actual height does not have a great say in the matter are we then getting into realms of it is the actual surface area of the ski that is comparable with weight.
This leads me to ask if we then venture into 84+ size width skis does the required length come down as the surface area will be greater with wider skis.
snow report
@Jonny996, why would the surface area be important as that (on piste) doesn't factor much (if at all?) into ease of turning.

Effective running edge length (taking in to account rocker, etc.) and effective (not the one marked on the ski, although it is an indicator) more important.
snow conditions
I'm 6'3" and 17st ..I ski on 190cms with 100 width and really have no troubles but then again I learned on 210s so these are short I like the stability of a longer ski
ski holidays
I will ask him, but I'm guessing he's 13-13.5st.
snow report
I'm 6'7", although sadly I haven't been 13 1/2 stone since university... I'm probably the same level - condident on pistes but don't head off.

I usually go with whatever the hire shop recommend (give me) and have had all sorts. Have mostly gone back and forth between 179s and 185s with no trouble. This year I had some 188s - all mountain skis that were probably for someone of better ability but I thought I'd give them a go. 185s/188s always feel big to start with, but you soon get used to them and I can't really tell the difference. In my head 179s are "easier" but I think that's just psychological. I wouldn't want to go any bigger, but I'd be happy with anything between 179 and 188.

Here were mine from this year - would certainly cope with most things: https://www.rossignol.com/uk/rossignol-experience-88-hd-skis-alpine-2017-2018.html
snow conditions
Very helpful. Thanks.
ski holidays
Rossi Experience 84s which sort of tick all the marketing boxes recommend height -5cm https://www.rossignol.com/fr/sizing-chart/ but only go up to 187 anyway...
ski holidays
noggy wrote:
I will ask him, but I'm guessing he's 13-13.5st.

I'm a couple of inches shorter and a might lighter but also a bit of a beanpole. My piste skis are 177, and I would not want to go longer. If he's a blue/red run skier then I certainly wouldn't go longer even if he is a touch heavier.

The key thing I found as a lighter skier is not to be suckered into too heavy and stiff a ski. Anything calling itself a GS ski is unlikely to work well for the gangly skier in my experience.
latest report
Your instinct of circa-190cm is not incorrect using the normal scales of size, but basically the only things you will get in that 190 and upwards will generally be proper GS skis (which are likely to be reasonably challenging for your future son in law and not great for day to day ski) and powder-centric wide things. There are some exceptions but this is basically what you're looking at.

I'm 6'7" and also 105-110kg so probably at the top end of the scale.

Realistically I have been generally limited on ski length due to what is actually available. On piste I normally use Head Rev80s which, whilst 'all mountain' in design, are perfectly good for all day on the pistes. The biggest they ever sold it in was a 184 so that's what I've got.

I also ski Whitedot Preachers on piste and mildly off piste, which are 189 but have a bigger tip and tail rocker so effective edge is probably roundabout the same.

If he's 13st and 6'7" then find him some skis he'd like and buy the biggest length they sell. I can't suggest that anything sub-180 would be ideal but at the end of the day the run of the mill ski manufacturers that you see on the shelves of most ski shops are going to top out at somewhere around 185cm so that's going to be what you get. A bit of a closer look at the skis will reveal the effective edge and this should maybe be your priority anyway, as I pointed out above you could get a ski in 184 and a ski in 190 and find the effective edge to be the same and this is ultimately the 'length' that actually matters.
snow report
I've recommended some Dynastar Legend X84s at 184. Whether she accepts my advice....?!!!

Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy