Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Upgraded from Kastle MX78 to MX83 - worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Raceplate wrote:
Not sure I like that selector much - looks like someone from Audi got hold of it. 😉

Agree that it should take weight into consideration. Anyway, putting all that aside I think you'd have to take the view that 3 months on skis will put you in the advanced category which gives a 176cm on a MX84 and a 181cm in a FX95 HP.

Haha I see what you mean. I would tend to agree, although I have seen otherwise, 3 months of considered seasoning should works wonders for the skills and in all conditions.

And affords the opportunity to do some testing to establish the one ski quiver.

BobinCh, I am going backwards, my Bonafides are a paltry 98mm and next years Mantras are downsized to 95mm...

I can ski them all day in all conditions why would I want to go wider?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Penry wrote:
Raceplate wrote:
@Penry, CPM's got rave reviews as a gentleman's ski as I recall. Can do anything and won't bite. Check them out here: http://archives.realskiers.com/2016/2016-SKI-REVIEWS/brand-reviews/kastle.html

I did! Love the site and writing style, reminds me of a quote from Paul Kimmage, "Couldn't write a note to the milkman in less than 500 words."
Laughing Happy to help. Considered CPM's myself but after I skied the MX83, it really was so good that I bought it on the spot. Seem to remember that the CPM's were also quite a bit more expensive than the MX's because of the carbon so if they're reduced to a "normal" Kastle price they probably are a bargain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, quick update. I arrived in Lech today for the week ( Razz ) and spoke with the local hireshop here in Oberlech.

Being an Austrian brand of course they love Kaestle. The chap was telling me they have some of next years models on test, including a 67mm width MX. (Will need to double check tomorrow that I heard that correctly).

Despite bringing my trusty MX78's I decided to see if I could work through their range. So I started with a FX85 in 173cm (non HP) today.

Conditions were variable, lots of spring slow as you would expect. I thought the FX85's were VERY easy to turn and control on soft snow, presumably because of the rocker in the shovel area. They were very nice and quite good fun. However, when skiing faster on piste the tips were chattering a bit - not sure if this is because of the rocker, or the tips being softer than I was used to, or both.

I think we are due more snow overnight so will see if I can swap them and try something else.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The OP might like to go a bit further to the mx89 to make it a more useful ‘upgrade’ or addition.

Main issue with Kastle is finding them to demo, as the price is not low...

Recommend Jan’s in Park City Utah, shop on Park Drive has a good range of kastle from LX to Mx to Fhp and bmx... and Stockli too.

Demo ‘d and bought the mx89 ex deno’s For less than half the usual price... and they come pre- scratched wink. And Jan’s will do a full tuneup owax at Renstall at Deer Valley for you included.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
eddiesteadygo wrote:
I thought the FX85's were VERY easy to turn and control on soft snow, presumably because of the rocker in the shovel area. They were very nice and quite good fun. However, when skiing faster on piste the tips were chattering a bit - not sure if this is because of the rocker, or the tips being softer than I was used to, or both.

Yes, yes and yes. And they're TOO SHORT for your weight.

Sorry, been in the pub but this is a great opportunity for you to try some Kastles in longer lengths so you realise that they don't bite, they're just more stable. If you're used to MX's, I doubt that any non-HP FX will feel stable on piste to you.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Raceplate wrote:
eddiesteadygo wrote:
I thought the FX85's were VERY easy to turn and control on soft snow, presumably because of the rocker in the shovel area. They were very nice and quite good fun. However, when skiing faster on piste the tips were chattering a bit - not sure if this is because of the rocker, or the tips being softer than I was used to, or both.

Yes, yes and yes. And they're TOO SHORT for your weight.

Sorry, been in the pub but this is a great opportunity for you to try some Kastles in longer lengths so you realise that they don't bite, they're just more stable. If you're used to MX's, I doubt that any non-HP FX will feel stable on piste to you.

I hear you. To be honest I was going to go buy the MX83 in the length I mentioned before I came out to Lech but after reading the contributions in this thread, I decided I might be making a mistake. Hence I decided to take the opportunity to hire a few options here instead, including the longer lengths.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:

BobinCh, I am going backwards, my Bonafides are a paltry 98mm and next years Mantras are downsized to 95mm...

I can ski them all day in all conditions why would I want to go wider?

By that measure surely you should still be skiing your 3m slalom skis from back in the day? Or alternatively.... maybe because they’ll just be so much more fun in the powder 😉
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Penry wrote:
@eddiesteadygo, without wanting to sound too much like a spammer, give Glide n Slide a call. I belive they personally test what they stock and they stock far more Kastle lines than any other UK retailer. And they're nice people to chat to. Where were you thinking of buying from?

+1 for glid n slide. I got mine there.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
eddiesteadygo wrote:
To be honest I was going to go buy the MX83 in the length I mentioned before I came out to Lech but after reading the contributions in this thread, I decided I might be making a mistake. Hence I decided to take the opportunity to hire a few options here instead, including the longer lengths.

Well it's good that you got the feedback in time before a £400 mistake! You're doing the right thing and I hope you find something you like.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok, so today I tried the FX95HP and the FX95 both in 1.81m length.

Conditions were lots and lots of snow, windy, overcast for majority of the day with mostly very flat light.

My impression were pretty much as you might have expected. I found the HP version much stiffer in the shovel area. So no chattering from the tips when going faster. However, I'm afraid the combination of longer length than I am used to and being stiffer made it a harder ski for me to enjoy. I can imagine if I had more skill it would be awesome, but at the moment it demands more from me than I can give, particularly when conditions are tricky like they were today.

On the other hand, the non HP version of the FX95 in the 1.81m length were very good. Floaty and easy in the powder off the edge of the piste, and stable on piste. The extra length definitely seemed to add stability vs the slightly shorter FX85's from yesterday.

So overall I found it a very interested comparison.

Tomorrow will see if I can try a longer MX version ski.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@BobinCH, well, I did ski a couple of powder pitches on my 203 SGs in January... very nice.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@eddiesteadygo, nice one! Keep the feedback coming snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just switched the FX95's for a pair of MX84's in a 176cm length which I can try tomorrow.

When the ski-shop said I can exchange the skis as many times as I would like to, I hope they meant it Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
Penry wrote:
@eddiesteadygo, without wanting to sound too much like a spammer, give Glide n Slide a call. I belive they personally test what they stock and they stock far more Kastle lines than any other UK retailer. And they're nice people to chat to. Where were you thinking of buying from?

+1 for glid n slide. I got mine there.

Thanks for the suggestions re Slide n Glide. Will certainly check them out Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@eddiesteadygo, if you’ve got good conditions suggest you also try something much wider and rockered for the comparison. A 95mm would be a narrow ski for me. Ask for something in the 110-120 length, big rocker, not too stiff.
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
@eddiesteadygo, if you’ve got good conditions suggest you also try something much wider and rockered for the comparison. A 95mm would be a narrow ski for me. Ask for something in the 110-120 length, big rocker, not too stiff.

but your 90% skiing off piste though?? OP says he is wondering about longer ski for "on-piste Spring conditions"
snow report
eddiesteadygo wrote:

I was also thinking of buying the FX95, but the non HP version. I haven't really skied off-piste to any extent previously, but I was thinking as I plan to rent an apartment for next season I should be able to get to ski for around 3 months. So during that time I would plan to get a guide and try more off piste. And part of the luxury of having a fixed location for the season is that I can keep more than one pair of skis and so pick the right ski for the day.

I would go much wider than 95mm for an off piste ski. At least try some...

For a “seasonnaire” off piste is what it’s all about so the sooner he gets there the better. And the right ski will make a massive difference. I have some Faction 9’s - 90mm all mountain skis and they are just no fun in pow/windblown vs the DPS’s.
snow report
Last week with the fickle weather first thing in the morning before the flat light and dank condition came in whilst it was still bright and cold and on superb groomed empty pistes I tried (for the first time) some 170 Völkl SC uvo Race Tiger that a mate was trying to off load as he wants to buy some fat skis.

Whilst they were super grippy and I was trying to crank them over on to their edges I did feel at straight line high speed on the piste to be far less stable on piste than my fatter longer off piste skis (184 105+s) rolling eyes

So I did not know whether it was my lack of technique (not keeping them on their edges maybe), though I did get more confident as the morning progressed or that I just need an extra 10cms or so.

I'm 178 and 77kgs and have looked at a whole load of what size ski sites etc and they seem to advise anything between 165 and 178 !!

Mind you after two mornings of fast piste skiing I'd already made my mind up it they were not worth buying, and maybe I should try some longer GS skis or just stick to what I like doing, XC and off piste ?

Sorry I should add that I do have a pair of all rounder type skis similar to MX83 etc and found them to be a good Jack of all Trades but Master of none as it were. Hence if I want to charge the piste I'd ski a full on GS and off piste a 105+ ski

But then skiing like this is what I'd aspire to on the piste and no doubt these guys could do it on a fat ski anyway etc

http://youtube.com/v/CQlatm6yAzQ
ski holidays
So today conditions have been near perfect. Clear blue skies, lots of snow from yesterday which has been mostly groomed overnight.

I was trying the MX84's in the 176cm length. As others mentioned earlier, on piste it is a super ski. Very stable, easy carving, and is a very smooth ski at higher speeds. As was predicted by others, the longer length vs my current MX78's added to the ski's high speed stability. Unfortunately I couldn't try the MX83 to compare them to as the hire shop doesn't carry them. But I'm definitely going to get a pair of these MX84's.
snow report
Hmm. Went to have a look at realskiers.com and got no result. The link in the posts above to archives works however. Is the website no longer active?
snow conditions
eddiesteadygo wrote:
But I'm definitely going to get a pair of these MX84's.

Laughing I think I feel a told you so coming on wink Toofy Grin

Seriously I'm pleased for you. The MX83 is a dead ski - it was replaced by the MX84. As I mentioned earlier, the 84 has a slightly softer tip which is better for you as is the in-between length (176) that was never available on the 83.

Enjoy!
snow conditions
Roguevfr wrote:
Hmm. Went to have a look at realskiers.com and got no result. The link in the posts above to archives works however. Is the website no longer active?

It's difficult, maybe impossible, to move between the archive and the current site

https://www.realskiers.com/ski-reviews/
snow report
BobinCH wrote:
eddiesteadygo wrote:

I was also thinking of buying the FX95, but the non HP version. I haven't really skied off-piste to any extent previously, but I was thinking as I plan to rent an apartment for next season I should be able to get to ski for around 3 months. So during that time I would plan to get a guide and try more off piste. And part of the luxury of having a fixed location for the season is that I can keep more than one pair of skis and so pick the right ski for the day.

I would go much wider than 95mm for an off piste ski. At least try some...

For a “seasonnaire” off piste is what it’s all about so the sooner he gets there the better. And the right ski will make a massive difference. I have some Faction 9’s - 90mm all mountain skis and they are just no fun in pow/windblown vs the DPS’s.

Interesting point Bob. TBH I hadn't come across DPS as a brand. I just tried their online ski selector and they have what appears to be a very comprehensive ski selector wizard.

Which type of DPS ski do you use?
snow report
Just to recap on my conclusions so far from this thread and from my "testing".

1) My current MX78s were too short for my current on-piste skiing.
2) MX84's are a great on-piste ski for groomed slopes. Fast, stable and smooth. For my weight a 176cm length is superb.
3) When snow conditions become very chopped up or soft, a softer tip with some rocker is very helpful. So in this scenerio a FX85 or FX95 is very good.
4) I'm not good enough currently to use the HP version of these skis.
5) For a more off-piste focused ski, I need to do some investigation and testing Very Happy
snow report
Raceplate wrote:
eddiesteadygo wrote:
But I'm definitely going to get a pair of these MX84's.

Laughing I think I feel a told you so coming on wink Toofy Grin

Seriously I'm pleased for you. The MX83 is a dead ski - it was replaced by the MX84. As I mentioned earlier, the 84 has a slightly softer tip which is better for you as is the in-between length (176) that was never available on the 83.

Enjoy!

Absolutely no question, I owe you a pint!

This is one reason why I really like this forum. Lots of very knowledgeable and helpful people. Smile
snow report
@eddiesteadygo, i am currently skiing the DPS Lotus 124 Alchemist. It’s the best ski I’ve ever skied (and i’ve tried a lot). If money was no object i’d suggest you look at the DPS Wailer 112. I’ve just sold my pair to rungsp after he tried them and wouldn’t take no for an answer. If you’re on a budget try the Rossignol Soul 7 - my wife loves them or Armada JJ’s - my ski buddy loves them. They’re both soft flex so will be easy to ski and make you feel like a better skier, which is important. I’m sure there’s are many other good skis out there in this class that other can recommend you but I can vouch for these 3. Avoid stiff skis for off piste until you are an expert.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy