Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just came across an old photograph, maybe 25 years old. A group photo of a day a few of us went snowboarding.
The interesting thing was we were all wearing ski boots.

Never realised hard boots were ever worn snowboarding, was this just the hire shop not having soft boots or was everyone wearing hard boots in the early days ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite a few of our seasoned Snowheads snowboarders still prefer the tupperware boot to the softboot.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My first snowboarding lesson at the Sheffield Ski Village in 1994 was in Ski Boots with hard bindings on a 172 Nidecker direction carving board!

Once I saw all the "cool" kids where going off ramps in soft boots and small boards (148) I soon made the switch.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In Europe pretty much all you could get in the late 1980s was hard boots & bindings. The US stuff was more skate oriented and didn't really take over until the early 1990s. There's still a hard core (I'm one of them) of hard boot snowboarders - check snowboard racing in the Olympics to see the gear.

Ski boots work, but you're probably never going to see anyone actually wearing them today: snowboard race boots have flex characteristics and binding footprints which mean they work better. There's even a new race boot this year (the yellow ones in the Olympics). Expert soft and hard boot riders can be indistinguishable (unless someone's riding in a very stylized way).

Hard boots make it easier to hold an edge on hard pack and are undeniably more responsive... but that latter means they're probably also harder to learn in. You rarely see hard booters who can't rip (possibly because they have mostly been practising since the 1980s). Skiers who think snowboarders are slow and useless would benefit from riding with hard booters. If they can keep up,

If coolness is one's aim then you're probably on the wrong web site, but hard boots are for people who want to ride fast, not for anyone looking to be "cool".

--
I may not have been the first to ride at Sheffield in the late 1980s, but when I did first go there I had to persuade the manager to let me ride at all, snowboards weren't permitted. I was undoubtedly on race ski boots at that time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I seem to remember playing a snowboard game in the 90s (possibly cool boarders), where depending on what style of board you chose, you got "soft" boots or "hard" boots that looked like ski boots. Think the foot angle is slightly more toe-forward in the hard boots isn't it?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Its be a rare rider who wore hard boots and ran a duck stance. All the hardbooters I've ever encountered had big agressive +/+ setups.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy