Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edge angles after service

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had my skis serviced at the shop behind the hotel on the gnarbug bash, it was a full base repair & skim job.
Skiing on them the next day, I noticed that they were very twitchy and when I came to a stop near the other guys I did a manoeuvre that I have done countless times before, doing a hockey stop then slowly sliding backwards to the edge of the piste. This time the skis locked into a backwards snowplogh, forcing my legs further apart, wrenching both of my lateral knee ligaments. Although still sore 18 days later, I was lucky enough to be able to carry on skiing.

After the fall, I checked the edges and borrowed a grit stone to dull 150mm of the edges at tip & tail which reduced the twitchyness a bit but I am thinking about the base edge angle and whether the shop set this correctly or at all, does this happen?

I doubt that it's possible to see a 1' angle over a 2mm edge to check it and the only way to be sure is to grind the edge to a known 1" angle.

Any thoughts?

I'm taking the skis to the eosb to loan to a friend but obviously don't want to loan out a psir of skis that could hurt someone, is there a reliable service shop near the eosb accommodation to get them checked?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@tangowaggon, sounds more like they left a hanging burr...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If they had a base grind it'll either be insufficient base edge angle at the tips (v.common with rockered skis) and/or a hanging burr. Seen it loads of times.

It's a couple of minutes fix with the right diamond stones although it's a pity you've already gone at 'em rolling eyes wink

I can check 'em for you at the EoSB if you want - just bring beer!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@tangowaggon, - @spyderjon is yer man.

@spyderjon so the insufficient base angle leads to the tips and tailsl hooking? Yep, I could see that would be most unpleasant. Not being a chap with rocker (much) not something I've experienced. Thankfully. Hanging burrs are quite nasty enough.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a pair of Head iRallys so negligible rocker
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@spyderjon, beer on it's way 😁😁😁
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tangowaggon, the vast majority of ski service machines put a flat base edge on. I only know of one Wintersteiger machine that is laser guided that can put a one degree angle like most factory settings. They're not common (but there is one in La Tania Very Happy).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I experienced a hanging burr for the first time today. Second day on holiday and since first day was fresh snow i didn’t notice but today it was rock hard and compressed and my skis were all over the place. Going slowly down a hard packed blue and I couldn’t keep my ski straight and it was impossible to control the skis until it got softer.

Never experienced anything like it (as limited as that is) and it was totally my fault. I’d hurriedly tuned my new skis before coming away and hadn’t removed the burr. Checked the skis at lunchtime and could catch a nail all the way down. I had brought some files and gummy with me so went over them and what a difference. Same run in the afternoon and all was well.

Just had to share. Didn’t believe it could make such a difference but wow it was crazy how twitchy they were before.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy