Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sunshine, AB

Poster: A snowHead
Here's an image from Sunshine today. The access road was sporting this morning with maybe 5 or 10cms on it, although the ploughs were at work and it was clear this evening. They've a base of 5m or some such and tons of really good condition snow. There wasn't enough new to make it a powder day, although there were drifted patches which were. Did I say there was a wind? So cold in the wrong places. You'd be wanting sharp edges on some of the steep exposed faces, but pretty much all the stuff was in great condition - big friendly bumps thanks to the fresh snow I suppose.

Not at all busy, and none of these terrifying "fast skier" types people here are so concerned about. No lift lines at all, most runs no one to see above or below. In the morning you'd want to know where the wind and sun were if you didn't want to whine about the cold, but a nice day out on the hill in the sun.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Enjoy! Hoping to get back there next year I love it Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How's the Dive? snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool!

I've just arrived in Banff yesterday for two weeks, but I'm making the most of Louise' First Tracks private lessons this week. We'll see if we go to Sunshine next week, paying a bit more for lessons, or if we stick with LL. I think Sunshine has better snow though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They were banging the Dive after the snow on Friday, and people were on it both days. I neglected to bring a support team this week, so I'm self-excluded from out-of-bounds stuff at present. In condition, I'd say, and you may be riding fresh if Friday's dump isn't yet tracked.

"First Tracks", well I was on the 1st lift at LL this morning, although it's not really relevant. The snow was a little cold initially. So first tracks actually is a bad idea unless you like it crunchy... a lazy start would be best. Once the snow took some radiant heat it was pretty much in condition everywhere. From a human perspective if was a warm day there- minus 10 perhaps?

I'm somewhat surprised than in the 25 years since I was last here what was a brown-bag place has grown fancy ways, but it's still good. Not crowded even on a Sunday, speed cops in place but respectful of fast-but-competent. No decent coffee anywhere (the base has a Starfuck's franchise), but excellent Salads at the Larch place out the back. I had to leave at 15:00 as my park pass expired (now in Golden), but conditions would continue to be good through the close at 16:30 I'd say.

Sunshine's bump fields were more "in condition" than those at LL today, which were a bit tougher, perhaps because it was overall a little colder. Overall: tons of snow, all in condition, nothing not to like.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@philwig, we were close then! Our lesson started at 8.30. Yes, icy and a bit cold, and as you're on one plank rather than two I agree it wouldn't be very nice for boarding. We stopped around 3 and took the 3.30 bus back to Banff.

Am starting a separate trip report.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
(I'll look for it. )

I drove to Golden, though a bit of weather.

Golden used to have a little mom and pop town hill which I last rode in 1989 - Whitetooth. I caught what was a school bus to get there (I was travelling by Greyhound mostly), and spent a few days riding moguls with a bunch of local kids who'd never met a European before, or a snowboarder for that matter. They're probably all far grandparents now. Anyway... Above the resort was a heli ski tenure - which is why I was there. Sometimes at the end of the day the pilot would fly down the town hill at tree top level for fun.

Anyway, now the front of the heli-ski tenure is all resort, opened up by a couple of clever lift placements. They reworked the base completely, built a bunch of real estate and almost a resort there. I rode all day in mixed visibility, but the resort is heavily treed so that's not a huge issue. The accommodation there is pretty much brand new and costs a fraction of what the Banff Springs charges. There's not a lot of choice for food, but again that's hugely cheaper than you-know-where. From a rider's perspective... there are really two levels to the riding, in my view. The bottom is huge wide and sometimes steep/ bumpy runs with no one on them. That's all cut through the trees, which you can also ride. Higher up it feels much more big-mountain, and there's plenty of steep interesting stuff in the "bowls" they've opened.

I'd say it's a tough little resort for people who are looking for in-bounds powder and trees. You're likely to find those much longer after a storm than any major resort, and there's inherently more stuff to start with because they built it that way. I don't think it'd be a great place for learners, and it'd be wasted on anyone who wanted to know where the groomers were.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
.... and then I drove to Revelstoke, where it was raining.. Well the piles of snow in the town streets are about 4m high, they've had a good season. But if it's raining in the town.... then on the hill....

Stayed in the Powder Springs, which has historic significance for me at least. It's a beat up old motel, used to be owned by Brits, actually, and you probably wouldn't want to stay there if you didn't have the connection. Anyway, there's at least one fancy new restaurant in town, and lots of good breakfast places.

At the hill... well it's 10 years since I was there and they've finished building the stuff at the bottom, and re-designated the bottom as the middle, if you see what I mean. It's mostly a way to build real estate and claim a huge vertical - no one rides down to "the bottom". Today the snow down there was Scottish in nature - wet. At the mid station it was also wet, so most people were sessioning the chair at the top. There was, what, 15-20cm of fresh, untracked on piste and in the trees. It wasn't crowded - I parked right by the base and I just got straight on every lift all day.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
philwig, Having fun then Madeye-Smiley - first time we went to Revelstoke( 2008 ) we stayed at the Powder Springs, all you can eat buffet breakfast and lift ticket $99 Toofy Grin Didn't think it was still a motel now Confused Last time we stayed at a B+B just down from the hill - great place.

Quartermasters had just opened when we were there last year, we went on their 2nd day IIRC. Good food and nice prices too - hope the quality and portions don't deteriorate.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm out there next week with the family (Banff, Kicking Horse and Revelstoke). (But have a couple of days on my own; one in the Dive, which I didn't ski the only other time I've been there, and a day Heli skiing in Revelstoke). Can't wait! Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
All sounds good. wink Strangely I found Quartermasters straight off the bat - excellent for Revvy, I hope it survives. They don't do the breakfasts at the Powder Springs any more. I seem to remember cinnamon buns were the thing, plus they'd prepare you a "brown bag" lunch. Revvy may be too fancy for brown bags these days.

I drove to Whistler (business), where it feels like spring. The Duffy Lake Road was completely clear and just dirty. The aggressive sales car hire lady tried to tell me how scary dangerous these roads are (and hence why I needed a Hum Vee or something). I suspect I've driven here more than she had, but I could have roller skated it today. FWIW M&S tyres aren't required beyond this coming weekend.

The cats in Whistler are down for the next couple of days as the snow out there is crusty (you don't want to pay a lot to ride crust). A little fresh is forecast the next two days which may be enough to spruce things up. I expect the resort is good, but I don't know when it last dumped.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The resort was in excellent condition, but the off piste needs a refresh. It was classic Whistler, with crowds in the places people like, and few people about elsewhere. Short queues. The final ride down got "scottish" towards the bottom, but all was good.

There was a back country fatality on Wednesday just north of the resort.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lake Louise bus driver told me that no rental cars come with snow tires. I was amazed and said I thought it was the law in winter. He said maybe in Quebec but nowhere else - he's working in Alberta and comes from Vancouver so I'd hope he's right? Am stunned if in this country they just use all-seasons?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
He's wrong. In my experience you can no longer rent cars in AB or BC in the winter period (ending this weekend) which don't have at least M&S tyres on them. It's true that Quebec has had laws for longer, because I drove there when standard BC rentals still had "all season" tyres - not that many years ago.

Bus drivers probably don't rent cars in their own area, and will dislike tourists in rental cars as they do get in the way if they can't drive in snow.

Lake Louise is easy to access. The Sunshine road is more sporting and definitely mandates M&S tyres. The bus is good for anyone worried about that.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In my extremely limited experience of one person coming out last month to visit winter tires were not standard picking up a car at Calgary airport. Not sure if this is just a Calgary thing or the company they hired from making a bit of extra money by making you upgrade to winter tires. I think the law regarding tires is road specific so technically you don't *need* them unless you plan to drive on certain roads (which you obviously will on any ski trip). Fwiw any vehicles that I've seen off the access road to kicking horse are always big 4*4 things, AB plates, and regular tires - the assumption being calgarians used to driving in the city thinking their big truck is sufficient regardless of tires.
snow conditions
Winter tyres (as opposed to the legally required M&S) aren't standard.

Here's where you need at least M&S [1]: https://globalnews.ca/news/3778926/winter-tire-rules-go-into-effect-today-across-b-c-what-you-need-to-know/

A quick google shows that Hertz (Dollar and Thrifty) at YVR 80% have M+S, 20% snow tyres. From experience you're more likely to see "snow tyres" on cars in Calgary than in YVR. Kamloops is good if you like winters - I've had them there regularly with upgrade cost, although that doesn't mean they won't try to charge you first. I just decline everything they try to up sell me, but I still end up with huge cars with winter tyres from Kamloops.

---
[1] you could use chains if you were a truck, but you're not, and your rental agreement will prevent you using chains. In thirty odd years of driving BC roads from Terrace through to Calgary and Alberta, I've never seen anyone in a car use chains, although you could if you wanted to and they'd be great I guess. Trucks and buses use them. I've seen both trucks and buses jack-knifed and on their roofs on many occasions.
snow report
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/want-winter-tires-on-your-rental-car-good-luck-1.3951378

Would definitely recommend winter tyres over m+s for interior BC/powder highway. That's not to say you can't get by with m+s but a lot of the access roads to the resorts can be "interesting".

I like how blase (or maybe just "Canadian") the transport minister is about Alberta conditions. Calgary averages 120cm snow per year!
ski holidays
The 'car' (GMC Yukon XL - I've seen smaller buses) we rented from YYC yesterday has M+S tyres fitted. We drove in in fairly tough conditions last night and the tyres are certainly better than standard tyres, but nowhere near real winter tyres. Very easy to provoke the ABS to kick in or to lose steering traction. I always try in a new car/tyres just to know how much grip I've got (and the answer here was not a lot). Would not be safe on a mountain road in really bad conditions.
ski holidays
Still on dangerous-but-completely-legal tyres here in Terrace BC. Fresh snow yesterday, and excellent winter conditions then and now, so long as you pick your aspect.

ski holidays
philwig, looks nice Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy