Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Salomon xdr 80 or 84/88

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any experience of these yet? I fancy them as a change from my i-titan 177s next season as a mostly piste ski for a "robustly" sized chap . They seem to be well reviewed but then almodt every ski is these days.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Roguevfr, I bought the 84 ti's in January. I think they're a great ski. They're light but they hook up well and have good edge grip. They also perform pretty well off piste too. I was skiing with a guy last week who had done a full on guided off-piste day on a rented pair of the 80mm ones. He's a very experienced skier and he was impressed with their all-round performance.
A few rental outlets have them so maybe you could try before you buy?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Unfortunately im unlikely to be able to get abroad to try at a rental shop this season, hence the enquiry. An hour or two at Braehead is unlikely to give much insight.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The XDR88's are on my shortlist, with Nordica Navigator 85's; however I notice that there is a completely new Rossignol Experience 88 for next year, which appears to be targeted at the same segment
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I rented some brand new 84tis in January and thought they were brilliant both on and off-piste.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Roguevfr, @DavidYacht, Some of these are now offered in the sales.

Sail & Ski in Chester have some 80's and 84's. Similar prices on Ekosport if you add in the current 10% reduction.

www.sailandski.co.uk

www.ekosport.co.uk
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Not sure that I will get it past management...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DavidYacht, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DavidYacht wrote:

Easily solved with the traditional "I won them in a competition" Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I used “they were a bargain in a sale” for the last pair Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've borrowed them from "Dave" at work to test, after a while, "he's moved to Dubai so I'm looking after them till he comes back" Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I rented a pair of XDR (84's I think) all blue with yellow bits.

I rented them for the day rather than Head Magnums as we had new snow overnight.

I really liked them. They are very light, good for "apres ski".
I didn't get to try them on hardpack, as I just wanted to stay in the fluffy stuff at the side.

I used to like the Rossignol 84, but I rented them for a day but they felt knackered and dead. (but it was a cheap rental shop)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DavidYacht wrote:

In my other expensive pastime, a couple of common techniques are that shops will agree to put a 'management friendly' price label on the box. Another one is to take delivery, slip it into the loft, and then happily take 'oh this old thing that's been in the loft for years' out in front of management.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very Happy 'management friendly' price label on the box, Another one is to take delivery, slip it into the loft, and then happily take 'oh this old thing that's been in the loft for years' out in front of management.

Glad it's not just me that tries this one on then!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

DavidYacht wrote:

In my other expensive pastime, a couple of common techniques are that shops will agree to put a 'management friendly' price label on the box. Another one is to take delivery, slip it into the loft, and then happily take 'oh this old thing that's been in the loft for years' out in front of management.

Have done that previously, management pointed out that she did not know that I had any skis there in the first place Laughing , I guess that I could buy the XDR's and suggest that as an economy measure I am wheeling out my 12 year old Dynastar Contact 10's ...
ski holidays
Ok , further to this original question, what size did you go for - I currently ski 177 TITANS at 6 foot and 93kg would I go for the same size or go to the 183?

Just had a great day at Glenshee, and I'd think the xdr's would have been great on the off piste mixed conditions although the TITANS did ok.
snow report
Hi @Roguevfr,
I've never tried the "Tite ones" except for a couple of descents of that famous colouir known as "The Fridge of doom" in Hemel Hempstead so I can't pass comment.

I really like the Magnums, they are so versatile, they are the pair of skis I'd chose if I was going to be stuck on a desert island.
But I really enjoyed my day out on the XDRs, I cant remember the size .. just that they were mostly Blue & Black with Yellow bits. They are pretty light compared to older Salomon "all mountain" thingies such as the Enduro XT800.
This used to be my ski of choice at 182cm. Its pretty long and you'll probably get a few looks in the gondola for having such big skis these days, But these fellas are light, but I had no problem with that size, I'm a couple of inches shorter than you and at least 4kg heavier (on a good day).

You've got to try em though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy