Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice sought - Ski schools in Val Thorens, France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Going to Val Thorens to ski in March and trying to decide where to do group ski lessons - I have narrowed it down to Prosneige ski school or ESF (Ecole de Ski Francais) - simply because these are the only 2 where you can have lessons in the a.m. and p.m. Does anyone have experience with either of these two?

Have been with ESF before and they were "OK" (of course depends a lot on the instructor - my boyfriend thought his ESF lessons were fantastic).
But, if you believe what they say on the website, seems like Prosneige has smaller classes (4-10) and also films the students so they can see their mistakes etc. (not sure if this is a good thing or just a lot of time spent fiddling with equipment instead of skiing). Also seems like Prosneige organise some kind of test at the end of the course....

Can anyone recommend (or not) either of these or even another school?

Advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 22-02-06 13:42; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
suziq, welcome to snowHeads. Can't help with ski school choice in Val Thorens, but I'm sure that other swill be able to (Alastair, for example, is in Val T for the season).

If you do have the chance to be videoed, I would go for it. It's a really useful tool, even if it does mean a bit of extra faffing around on the slopes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
suziq, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

If you do a search for Prosneige (http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/search.php) you'll see that a number of people have had positive things to say about them. My observation of ESF classes in Val Thorens was that they could get pretty large (up to 15) - although I have not taken lessons with them myself.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
suziq, Prosneige do have a very good reputation locally. I'm sorry to say that I don't have experience of group lessons with either of the schools, but have had good private tuition from both the ESI and ESF.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair wrote:
suziq, Prosneige do have a very good reputation locally. I'm sorry to say that I don't have experience of group lessons with either of the schools, but have had good private tuition from both the ESI and ESF.

thanks for reply.
(being a complete newbie to the forum, i dont really know what i'm doing so i hope i have written to you properly!)

anyways, would you recommend private lessons WAY OVER group? i was aiming for group lessons since i am going on my own and thought may be more fun, but if the pocket permits and private lessons is a MUST to progress I would try some kind of combined schedule (group and private). I mean at the end of the day I just want to really improve my skiing!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
suziq, I hope someone more qualified than myself will be along to answer your question shortly. Personally, having done group lessons when I started to learn, I now use private tuition as and when appropriate. However, group lessons can be a good way to meet people if you're on your own.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys for all the responses! have done a bit of digging elsewhere on snowheads and am not convinced wth ESF, so leaning towards Prosneige, and maybe even a few private lessons.
Think now it is time to do some work instead of addictively surfing snowheads! Smile
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
suziq wrote:
Think now it is time to do some work instead of addictively surfing snowheads! Smile

I keep thinking that but i'm still here... I really must get some work done....
/me opens The Piste one more time. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
suziq wrote:

Nope what makes you say something like that ?

Next Wednesday we find out who is redundant - motivation at a near all time low Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
suziq, I was out in VT in December and had a private lesson with a chap from Prosneige. V good, made us ski backwards and blind-folded, which was a bit of a laugh (not at the same time, you understand) ... but that was probably the silly bit of the lesson ~ he also really brought my skiing on a lot; made me much more precise, faster, better.

Annoyingly, I can't remember his name, but if it comes back to me, I'll post it ~ Would definitely recommend him, but if he takes you up the long drag in the middle and then seems to take a suspiciously long time to join you, it is because he is having a crafty fag break - after about 5 mins he returned with a definite Gaulouise (?!) tang about him .... still, well worth it, even if just for the nicotine rush. Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We have used Prosneige for the previous 3 seasons for everthing from teaching a 4 year old through too powder/mogul lessons and they can br firmly reccomended in all respects. There is a link on the VT website to their website. If you do go with them get Alain to do a ballet exhibition Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy