Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aviemore at the end of March?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm working in Inverness next week and rather that fly home on Friday, would it worthwhile for my wife to pop up and have a weekend in Aviemore? I've never skied Scotland before so not sure what to expect the 3rd week of March.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's hard to tell, as always! That being said, there is a good cover of snow already and looks like a good chance of a cold spell arriving this weekend. We often have the best conditions of the year this late, so might be worth a gamble. When do you have to decide (the later the better!)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Head West. Ben Nevis or Glencoe.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have to decide by tomorrow whether to book a flight home for me or a flight up there for her on the Friday.

@ scotspikey - do you think it would be worth the extra 1.5 hour drive (each way) for two days?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@897sma, in terms of specific resort it will really depend on the weather, which given its 10+ days away is unclear. However given the copious amounts of snow already and cold temps and potentially snow due over the weekend into early next week I think you should be in for a good shout of decent conditions. Like I said it will just depend on if the weather plays ball. From Inverness you have the option of going East or West or Cairngorm. Lecht is only 30-40 mins from Aviemore if the winds are up a bit - its a bit more sheltered. Glenshee is another hour on (back road via Braemar) but in great nick at the moment. Its the best Scottish season in years so if you were ever going to do it, do it now....!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Looks like a consensus! I had a look at the weather again and you have a better than even chance of it being worth it.

If conditions are tough, you can still have fun and a sense of achievement for braving "Scottish" skiing.....normally southern softies can't take it so we might even give you some sort of honorary citizenship!

Good luck and let us know what you decide (and how it goes)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And if everything conspires against you there's loads of other things to do. My wife and I go up there around this time every year with the attitude that if the skiing is happening then it's a bonus. But if the skiing isn't happening we hike and enjoy the wonderful surroundings.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scotland is pretty much 100% open today, so there should be plenty open in 1-2 weeks.

Book it.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone, I'll do it tomorrow
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you want a really good meal try the Old Bridge Inn in Aviemore down by the river. Some of the best pub food I've had and a steak to die for.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
Scotland is pretty much 100% open today, so there should be plenty open in 1-2 weeks. Book it.

Sadly it doesn't work like that 897sma. There can be plenty of snow but winds can be 100mph with the ski areas totally storm bound or roads blocked with snow.

We'd never book more than a day in advance for Scotland after carefully considering the weather.

Fingers crossed for you though! If the weather plays ball you will love it!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:
Scotland is pretty much 100% open today, so there should be plenty open in 1-2 weeks.

Book it.

Scotland is pretty much closed today. Lots of snow but very high winds.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whitegold wrote:

Book it.

You've not done a lot of scottish skiing, have you?? Laughing It doesn't work like that and a warm wind and rain can strip a ski area very quickly indeed. Oh the winds can shut the resorts down for days on end.

OP should be ok though as forecast cold next week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have jobs just north of Perth & also on Skye over the next week & I think I'll be taking skis just in case. I normally only ski at Glenshee but hoping to try Glencoe & Nevis on the way to/from Skye although current forecasts seem to be favouring Glenshee for a decent fall, which it needs after the thaw this week, so perhaps it will be there again after the Perthshire job is completed.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you do decide to head to Nevis/Glencoe area and the weather really isn't playing ball, you can spend some time at Ice Factor at Kinlochleven which, as the name suggests, is not just a climbing centre but has the world's largest indoor ice climbing wall! https://www.ice-factor.co.uk/
snow report
Well I’m here in aviemore and there’s plenty of snow but f@&k me the weather is bleak, it’s so windy I have to keep a constant right pressure to just go straight
snow report
After the horrendous wind yesterday, today’s skiing has made up for it. Still a little breezy but beautiful clear blue skies and all the pistes open and mostly in good condition.
@esaw1 I’m taking your recommendation for the old bridge inn and have booked a table for tonight. Thanks for everyone’s reply
snow conditions
897sma,

I'm pleased you've experienced the good side of Scottish skiing (after seeing the bad...)

Are you back for more skiing tomorrow? Puzzled
ski holidays
Had a fantastic night in The Old Bridge Inn last time I was there. If you’re bored of CairnGorm and not going home tomorrow I advise a trip to Nevis Range. Ok this morning on the lower 1/2 but a bit too firm above, fantastic this afternoon. Spent 3 amazing hours in Coire Dubh. 3” fresh snow on grippy base, no wind, variable weather from heavy snow to bright sunshine, in 3-10min intervals. Max guests 9, nearly an hour of:

http://youtube.com/v/jEy6MGu3bIA

Morning
http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/medium/835DE5A9-769D-4437-85EE-DDF87C0FC400.jpeg

Afternoon
http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone/data/500/medium/5E38C813-4F64-4D1D-B29B-B36753C5F276.jpeg
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy